hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar

Football Favourites

To run along side the pet hate thread, what are some of your favourite things about football.

I like seeing players singing their national anthem.

I like seeing everyone on the bench go wild when a player scores.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Seeing a player beat a man with a bit of trickery.

Watching emerging talent at Hibs. Nothing beats seeing a young guy coming through the ranks and knowing he’s going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To run along side the pet hate thread, what are some of your favourite things about football.

I like seeing players singing their national anthem.

I like seeing everyone on the bench go wild when a player scores.
    Your first one - definitely - but maybe no listening to them sing.

The anticipation of a win before a game.

When a manager comes and applauds the support after the game.

A new strip and new signings

Drive home after an unexpected away victory, and hearing hearts have lost at home the same day.

The sheer joy that a team doing something special brings. 2016 is the obvious example - the crowd noise when that goal went in is way beyond the normal goal cheer - but I also saw Reading get promoted to the top flight for the first time in their history in 2006. I don't consider myself a Reading fan but I can't deny that I had a lump in my throat when they sealed the Championship.

PS I was also behind the goal at Hampden in 1973 when Joe Jordan put Scotland into the World cup finals for the first time in my lifetime - a very special moment.
    Last edited by Caversham Green; 13-06-2021 at 06:19 PM.

A proper scrap with just about every player from both teams involved.

An opposing player getting a good ovation from fans for something they have done either in or outside of football. People call it soft but I think it's a great touch. Ronaldo at Old Trafford, Ronaldinho in Madrid or Alan Stubbs and James McFadden at ER are examples I can think off.

Being at a game when plenty others have decided to give it a miss and seeing an unexpected victory. The Casper game at Tynecastle is the one that always springs to mind for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    A Panenka, successful or not. Both satisfying in their own way.

@hibs.net private member
    Thistle on the back of ….
    Sorry wrong thread 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Celebrating with complete strangers after a vital goal. Any goal really

The time when Leeds let Aston Villa score. It was good seeing a Manager instruct his players to do something because it was the right thing to do in the circumstances. I still like watching clips of how that whole episode unfolded.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Seeing TV clips of Hibs playing in the early 70s which I’ve never seen before.

The collective "go on" from the fans as someone runs clear on goal or there's a big chance

The nerves walking to the stadium from the car

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

An opposing player getting a good ovation from fans for something they have done either in or outside of football. People call it soft but I think it's a great touch. Ronaldo at Old Trafford, Ronaldinho in Madrid or Alan Stubbs and James McFadden at ER are examples I can think off.

Being at a game when plenty others have decided to give it a miss and seeing an unexpected victory. The Casper game at Tynecastle is the one that always springs to mind for me.
    Completely agree with the second one. What was the McFadden one? Something he done for Scotland or brilliance against us for Motherwell? And do you mean Stubbs as a Celtic player against us?

Just curious as I like those moments too and know the first two but strangely enough couldn’t put my finger on the two that happened at us!

Turning on to Easter road, whether it’s walking from London road or turning on further down. Especially if I’ve not been at a game in a while it’s all part of the excitement and build-up and feels like that’s me properly into hibs ground. Doesn’t matter if I’m heading to boozer, bookies or straight there, I like the pre match buzz and starting to spot the green shirts.

Testimonial Due
    An injury time equaliser (for us). It turns a depressing near defeat into what seems like a win in a fraction of a second.

Except for Roughie who's busy leaning on the post watching it all

Testimonial Due
    -Songs

-Kids walking into pitch with players

- Seeing another fan in public with their memorabilia on (US only), like being part of a club only some people understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    The sheer joy that a team doing something special brings. 2016 is the obvious example - the crowd noise when that goal went in is way beyond the normal goal cheer - but I also saw Reading get promoted to the top flight for the first time in their history in 2006. I don't consider myself a Reading fan but I can't deny that I had a lump in my throat when they sealed the Championship.

PS I was also behind the goal at Hampden in 1973 when Joe Jordan put Scotland into the World cup finals for the first time in my lifetime - a very special moment.
    I was behind the goal as well on that memorable night when we qualified for the 1974 World Cup. 100,00 fans inside the stadium cheering us on. I seem to remember England not qualifying due to some Polish goalkeeper who Brian Clough described as a clown.

Loved watching Turnbull's Tornadoes play. A joy to watch most of the time. Great European nights at Easter Road. There as a youngster when we tore Napolo to pieces. They thought they were here just to take in the castle etc and buy some whisky and shortbread.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Completely agree with the second one. What was the McFadden one? Something he done for Scotland or brilliance against us for Motherwell? And do you mean Stubbs as a Celtic player against us?

Just curious as I like those moments too and know the first two but strangely enough couldn’t put my finger on the two that happened at us!
    Yep McFadden was when he went back to Motherwell for the last time. He got subbed and there was just a spontaneous outbreak of applause for him. I don't know about others but for me it was for his efforts for Scotland. Some didn't like it but I thought it was brilliant. Stubbs was on his return from cancer.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

• Fast flowing, attacking and intelligent football.
    • A perfect cross finished with a towering back post header from an old fashioned No 9.
    • Jumping around in total disbelief as a Narey "toe poke" blazed into the Brazillian net (it was great while it lasted).
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Yep McFadden was when he went back to Motherwell for the last time. He got subbed and there was just a spontaneous outbreak of applause for him. I don't know about others but for me it was for his efforts for Scotland. Some didn't like it but I thought it was brilliant. Stubbs was on his return from cancer.
    Now you mention it I may have been at the McFadden game