hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Socks over the knees as mentioned before, then kids copying.

the ball being shepherded out, no it’s ‘king obstruction, boot the boy up the @rse

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pundits/supporter's who refer to players names in plural terms, your Ronaldo's, your, Sterling's, your Ronney's etc. There's only one of them. Don't understand why.
    Folk who put apostrophe’s in plural word’s! 😉

Ally McCoist, the nauseating English sycophant.

Synical fouls, been of the opinion for a long time now that yellow isn't enough for such fouls. Would like to see a sin bin style introduced for them.

They're even worse when the ref doesn't allow the free kick to be taken quickly. Why should the team effectively cheating benefit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Folk who put apostrophe’s in plural word’s! 😉
    LOL, apologies to the grammar polis, I have no defence for my sloppy mistake's (or is it mistakes)

The term "game management", and how pundits selectively only praise top teams for it. It's time wasting, and lesser teams get slated for it.

When a professional footballer hits the first man from a corner or free kick

Commentators on international matches who continually speculate on which English club team players might be joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    LOL, apologies to the grammar polis, I have no defence for my sloppy mistake's (or is it mistakes)
    It’s worse when your I-phone or laptop auto corrects a plural word and adds an unnecessary apostrophe. Bloody yanks.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Steven Gerrard

VAR

BBC Radio Scotland Football

Jeff Stelling

Pat Stanton leaving for Celtic

The Full Set

Drying the ball with your jersey before taking a throw in.

The one that I originally wanted to post on this thread, but have completely forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Point 1 = 100%

Point 2 = No way, I have painful memories of Scotland just needing to see out a minute or two, rather than playing canny, we went for it then lost a goal to counter attack at the final whistle.
    Ended up in a playoff with England where we beat them at Wembley (sure it was their last competitive game at the old version) and got beat at Hampden to go out on aggregate.. scarred for life!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Completely agree. Point one is spot on but the second one, if anything, is a an opposite pet hate of mine - when people can’t understand why a couple of minutes off the clock is the sensible play ahead of a speculative ball into the box when you’ve got about one other teammate in the opposition’s half. (If winning the game)

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Stephen Craigan and Steve McManaman.
    I want to agree but I think my feelings are too strong for them to be ‘pet hates’.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    After reading this thread I think it’s other people’s pet hates

Shepherding the ball out is not obstruction as long as the ball is within playing distance

Taking the ball to the corner when winning and there is only minutes to go is rather sensible

Commentators…I don’t mind most of them. Summarisers…I don’t mind most of them either and actually quite like McManamanaman.

McCoist…I quite like his style and comments when he’s covering matches.

Professional fouls…all part of the game.

No bookings early doors. Sensible to try and give a bit of leeway early as players feel their way into a game.

‘Just about kept that in’…we all know it’s a phrase that means the player only just managed to keep the ball in play…why let that upset you?

Half chances…as per ‘just about’…we all know it means it was not a clear cut / expected goal style chance…just accept that those are called half chances and don’t let it upset you.

I could go on but I assume you get the point…learn to accept your pet peeve and be at one with life again

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    When a professional footballer hits the first man from a corner or free kick
    I'm close to doing time when that happens with 85+ minutes on the clock and we're a goal down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Great players who make awful pundits (Owen, Savage, Shearer, hunners of others).

Robbie Savage

The ****ing god awful adverts that appear around tournaments with players.
    Wow savage was never a great player! He was a poor mans jarko wiss, worse pundit.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Kyle Lafferty

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Brian Hamilton bringing a brilliant Hibs side down cos he couldn’t do the basics ending so many excellent scoring chances, then years later dewy eyed revisionists waxing lyrical about such an unselfish team playing worker. If Miller had removed the blinkers then IMO a whole lot more was achievable, Wright, Mcginlay, O’Neill etc shoulda = a lot more success.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    I'm close to doing time when that happens with 85+ minutes on the clock and we're a goal down.
    Or actually an even better one which has creeped into the modern game, when your getting beat on the last couple of minutes your keeper plays it out to the defence who pass it a few times square and into midfield. I can only assume is either they are brain dead and so drilled they can’t deviate from the coaches approach. Get it launched into the box man. Passing from the back is to draw opposition teams out that ain’t going to happen when a goal down in injury time 11 men behind the ball and they won’t come out…get it launched 😂
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 14-06-2021 at 12:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Hearts/close thread.

Testimonial Due
    Said it before, will say it again

1). Diving
    2). Diving in the box
    3). Neymar diving
    4). Diving

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    After reading this thread I think it’s other people’s pet hates

Shepherding the ball out is not obstruction as long as the ball is within playing distance

Taking the ball to the corner when winning and there is only minutes to go is rather sensible

Commentators…I don’t mind most of them. Summarisers…I don’t mind most of them either and actually quite like McManamanaman.

McCoist…I quite like his style and comments when he’s covering matches.

Professional fouls…all part of the game.

No bookings early doors. Sensible to try and give a bit of leeway early as players feel their way into a game.

‘Just about kept that in’…we all know it’s a phrase that means the player only just managed to keep the ball in play…why let that upset you?

Half chances…as per ‘just about’…we all know it means it was not a clear cut / expected goal style chance…just accept that those are called half chances and don’t let it upset you.

I could go on but I assume you get the point…learn to accept your pet peeve and be at one with life again
    Both of mine in there, so:

The bad tackle early on is usually a player "putting down a marker" - well the referee should also put down a marker to show he won't be accepting that sort of play regardless of the time it's committed.

I agree taking the ball into the corner is sensible - so was passing back to the keeper until it was made illegal. Both are anti-entertainment and prevent progress of the game - the keeper holding onto the ball and the corner flag being used as a blocker to (unfairly IMO) prevent opposition players getting to the ball. I hate it even when it's my side that's doing it.

My pet hates are :

• Playing 1 man up front. 😡
    • Players who can't cross or deliver the ball from open play, free kicks or corners (about 95% of them). 😤
    • Centre halves who don't attack crosses and rarely head them clear of their own 18 yard box if they do. ☹
    • Teams that time waste, rotational foul and feign injury to disrupt play for 90 minutes. 🙄

• Absolutely anything to do with hear7s, the old firm or Aberdeen. 🖕🏻
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    Wow savage was never a great player! He was a poor mans jarko wiss, worse pundit.
    You know, you're absolutely correct.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

'Football fix'

Quote Originally Posted by AZhibee View Post
    Said it before, will say it again

1). Diving
    2). Diving in the box
    3). Neymar diving
    4). Diving
    Even worse than diving is refs that won't give a pen when a player is fouled but tries to stay on his feet.

Relatively recent one - goalies catching the ball, landing perfectly well on 2 feet and then flopping onto the ground to waste some time. Needs to be an automatic booking.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Even worse than diving is refs that won't give a pen when a player is fouled but tries to stay on his feet.
    Which is why some players go down as soon as there's contact.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Commentators on international matches who continually speculate on which English club team players might be joining.
    I think this is mostly a TV thing.

I was at the beach yesterday so listened to the England match on 5 Live. The main commentator mentioned 66 only in the context that they didnt win the opening match.

The co commentator was Chris Waddle, and his contributions were both intelligent and even handed.

He spotted that the same flaw England had in friendlies (all guns blazing for 25 mins, dont score and then allow the opposition to dictate) happened yesterday.

He was very very good - but maybe doesnt conform to the highly polished tv pundit template.

Should be noted that you can watch their BBC matches with 5 live commentary if the TV stuff is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Which is why some players go down as soon as there's contact.

So we get "he's gone down far too easily" immediately followed by "he's got to go down there and make the ref make a decision". Sometimes from the same pundit.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Relatively recent one - goalies catching the ball, landing perfectly well on 2 feet and then flopping onto the ground to waste some time. Needs to be an automatic booking.
    Given that they're (in theory) only allowed to hold the ball for a limited time, flopping to the ground with it shouldn't allow them to waste any more time than standing up with it.