hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you agree it was a foul then.
    If somebody tugged you on the shoulder like that, would you fall down?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    If somebody tugged you on the shoulder like that, would you fall down?
    If you were clear through on goal for a tap in would you dive?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Lots of players do exactly that.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    If Martin has started going down easily he's finally worked out he gets sod all protection or a penalty if he stays on his feet. He's not got the issue, its the way defenders are now. Running sideways to prevent an opponent getting the ball used to be called obstruction, now its a methodology. Defenders run side by side to put an arm across attackers hoping none of the officials see. That's seen as good defending while going down is cheating. They can't both be correct.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=O'Rourke3;6593135]If Martin has started going down easily he's finally worked out he gets sod all protection or a penalty if he stays on his feet. He's not got the issue, its the way defenders are now. Running sideways to prevent an opponent getting the ball used to be called obstruction, now its a methodology. Defenders run side by side to put an arm across attackers hoping none of the officials see. That's seen as good defending while going down is cheating. They can't both be correct.

Excellent point,obstruction seems to have disappeared as a foul in the present day refereeing,as you say,it's cheating.IMO

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=hhibs;6593367]
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    If Martin has started going down easily he's finally worked out he gets sod all protection or a penalty if he stays on his feet. He's not got the issue, its the way defenders are now. Running sideways to prevent an opponent getting the ball used to be called obstruction, now its a methodology. Defenders run side by side to put an arm across attackers hoping none of the officials see. That's seen as good defending while going down is cheating. They can't both be correct.

Excellent point,obstruction seems to have disappeared as a foul in the present day refereeing,as you say,it's cheating.IMO
    Becoming more like American football blockers all the time. Also this habit of falling down with a “head injury” when any attack fails or committing fouls to stop the game in the same circumstances. Anti football.

First Team Breakthrough
    Complete dive from our Boyler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    It's more likely that the alarm clock would go off before I found out what happened next.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero76 View Post
    Complete dive from our Boyler
    Really? Opinions are like ********s, we all have one. Mine is he was fouled

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Really? Opinions are like ********s, we all have one. Mine is he was fouled
    Trying to work out what you mean.
    Not sure if you mean ********s or ********s.
    Anyway, if you think that was a genuine foul I think you are an ********.
    Would you just grin and bear it if that had been Daz sent off for such a challenge vs the secondary Edinburgh team?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Boyle was initially fouled and then took a dive.

Is football really about winning at any cost , including compromising one's personal and professional integrity? The answer at professional level is probably, yes. It's just another facet of the game that has emerged and become established as legitimate.

Personally, I think it stinks.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lots of players do exactly that.
    Because they know the opponent goes off. Part of the game nowadays distasteful as that is. Was a foul though.

@hibs.net private member
    Definite foul and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his right foot slipped on the turf. If he doesn't go down then the defender might get back in having slowed Boyler down and you can bet the referee doesn't give a foul. Only one question needs asked and answered. Was it a foul - Yes

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

Is football really about winning at any cost , including compromising one's personal and professional integrity? The answer at professional level is probably, yes. It's just another facet of the game that has emerged and become established as legitimate.

He was fouled and his foot gave way so he didn't dive nothing stinks about it. As a last defender don't put your hand on a forward who's running in in goal. Poor defending .

Nice run from Boyle and another goal later on. He's had a decent season.

As you say though it's a foul. The player has done it to try and stop Boyle getting a clear run on goal, so therefore deliberate. Whether or not Boyle goes down or just stops and throws his hands in the air the decision is then down to the referee as to whether it is a red card for preventing a goal scoring chance.. If Boyle shrugs it off (difficult as the tug will have some effect) and the chance is missed then the defender has got away with cheating.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol1972 View Post
    As you say though it's a foul. The player has done it to try and stop Boyle getting a clear run on goal, so therefore deliberate. Whether or not Boyle goes down or just stops and throws his hands in the air the decision is then down to the referee as to whether it is a red card for preventing a goal scoring chance.. If Boyle shrugs it off (difficult as the tug will have some effect) and the chance is missed then the defender has got away with cheating.
    How about Boyle carries on with his run, puts the ball in the back of the net and leaves the ref to decide whether it was a red card or not? The ref can still brandish the card regardless.

As I said, I don't like this aspect of the modern game.

How about Boyle carries on with his run, puts the ball in the back of the net and leaves the ref to decide whether it was a red card or not? The ref can still brandish the card regardless.

As I said, I don't like this aspect of the modern game.
    May be wrong but don't think ref can give a red card if goal has been scored as goal scoring chance not denied. It was a foul. If someone has a tug at your shoulder when running at speed it will have some effect on your body's co-ordination with possible loss of any control you have on the ball.. Whether or not it is enough for him to go down can be argued but could be enough to put him off. The dive in the cup final deserved a booking but in this case there was a clear foul.

On this occasion, I’m like a few and can’t say for certain that his right foot doesn’t go from underneath him, after one watch of the YouTube video.

In general though - Boyle does go down too easily despite many of our fans blaming sportscene, Scottish referees, or previous bad challenges on him, when he does it. I was going to say one of his stupid swan dives to get booked was about the only thing he did to stand out in the cup final but apparently he didn’t get booked in that game so I’ll not bother 😂

He’s a good wee player and clearly important to us, and lots of teams have their players that go to ground awfy easily. I just don’t know why we don’t accept ours does it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    On this occasion, I’m like a few and can’t say for certain that his right foot doesn’t go from underneath him, after one watch of the YouTube video.

In general though - Boyle does go down too easily despite many of our fans blaming sportscene, Scottish referees, or previous bad challenges on him, when he does it. I was going to say one of his stupid swan dives to get booked was about the only thing he did to stand out in the cup final but apparently he didn’t get booked in that game so I’ll not bother 😂

He’s a good wee player and clearly important to us, and lots of teams have their players that go to ground awfy easily. I just don’t know why we don’t accept ours does it.
    100% agree with this. To tie this in with the pet peeves thread diving is my pet peeve. People can argue the toss over the Nepal incident but generally he goes down far too easily and only has himself to blame for the negative reaction he gets from the media and other fans.

Blog Entries
    I see Boyle has been yellow carded in the game against Jordan. Not for simulation, I hope.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Seen harry souttar scored again for the ozzies, unreal recorded for a defender, 6 goals in 6 caps

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I see Boyle has been yellow carded in the game against Jordan. Not for simulation, I hope.
    No, report on foul:

The chance then spurred Jordan on, who pushed forward themselves through Musa Suleiman. The crafty attacker carried the ball from the halfway line to the edge of the box before he was dragged down by Martin Boyle who subsequently picked up a yellow card for the challenge.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Seen harry souttar scored again for the ozzies, unreal recorded for a defender, 6 goals in 6 caps
    2 against Nepal and 2 against Chinese Taipei. Without wishing to stereotype too much based on nationality it could be his 6’ 6’’ height was advantageous!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    2 against Nepal and 2 against Chinese Taipei. Without wishing to stereotype too much based on nationality it could be his 6’ 6’’ height was advantageous!
    At 6’6” it is surely an advantage against any player of any nationality who is 6’ 5” or less.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    At 6’6” it is surely an advantage against any player of any nationality who is 6’ 5” or less.
    Maybe but there is a fair difference in being able to compete with that type of presence if say you are Nepal who’s average male height in the population is under 5’4’’ rather than a Netherlands at 5’11’’.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Maybe but there is a fair difference in being able to compete with that type of presence if say you are Nepal who’s average male height in the population is under 5’4’’ rather than a Netherlands at 5’11’’.
    That's a BIG advantage.

what I'd say is that SOUTAR uses his height to his advantage, in the same way that say Martin Boyle uses his speed to his

He is a decent player though, height notwithstanding.

No doubt whatsoever that when its a corner he is going to be in the box looking for the ball.....if he was 6,6" and didn't get a couple from dead ball situations he'd be viewed as crap in the air I reckon.

I've got no doubt he'll score against a few sides for his club in England too.

Surprisingly, or not surprisingly...the goal he scored last night from Martin Boyle corner , was score from a standing position when his two feet were on the ground.

He actually reminds me of the days we had Big John MacNamee playing for us...whenever we got a corner we'd yell for Big John to get in the box.