hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A view from the terrace - EURO special

What a lot of rubbish. Was hoping for something to keep the excitement building for Monday and it was just incredibly cringe and brutal patter

2. Log in to remove the advert

I turned it on by mistake and thought it was a parody of a crap comedy football show. Turned out it was just a crap comedy football show.

It’s one of the worst shows on the box, absolutely garbage and the boy that hosts it gets on ma tits. Some of his facial expressions do ma head in

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely terrible. Whilst I applaud they try something different on there show and don't talk about the old firm much. They have no presence and the worst patter ever. Surely has to be a middle ground between their pish and si banter Ferry and his old firm pish show

Not a fan at all, as others have pointed out, terrible patter.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Watched the Peter Crouch attempt .....dismal!

@hibs.net private member
    It’s an awful show. The podcast isn’t much better. Far too many Jambos on it, but not sure if that’s changed as it’s been a while since I bothered with it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Never watched it last night but I’ve made the same point about their normal a view from the terrace tv show.

Great concept and I really really want to like it, I just find the guys on it so irritating. The way they speak, the daft faces they pull, the crap jokes, the fact the camera goes between them 100mph, just everything seems annoying about it. It’s not because of the excessive Hearts influence either, the best of the bunch IMO is that Joel Sked as he seems the most natural while the rest of them are just trying too hard IMO.

I actually don’t mind the podcast though, goes at a far better pace IMO.

One thing I would say for them in their defence is they at least have terrific knowledge of the Scottish game, particularly the lower leagues which are so commonly ignored, the features they do on these sides can be brilliant.

I’m not sure if their knowledge of the teams in the Euros would be as good as I didn’t watch it however I suspect they’d have done their research and will have known what they were talking about. Still annoying though.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never watched it last night but I’ve made the same point about their normal a view from the terrace tv show.

Great concept and I really really want to like it, I just find the guys on it so irritating. The way they speak, the daft faces they pull, the crap jokes, the fact the camera goes between them 100mph, just everything seems annoying about it. It’s not because of the excessive Hearts influence either, the best of the bunch IMO is that Joel Sked as he seems the most natural while the rest of them are just trying too hard IMO.

One thing I would say for them in their defence is they at least have terrific knowledge of the Scottish game, particularly the lower leagues which are so commonly ignored, the features they do on these sides can be brilliant.

I’m not sure if their knowledge of the teams in the Euros would be as good as I didn’t watch it however I suspect they’d have done their research and will have known what they were talking about. Still annoying though.
    Agree with this summary.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Agree with all of this. I really wanted to like it but I find it unwatchable unless it’s one of the features they do which are fantastic.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I think the whole show is a good concept. I think you also have to be quite forgiving because it is ultimately a bunch of amateurs chucked in front of a camera and all the nerves that go with that. A lot of the people we see on TV have been primed for it for much of their lives.

It's all just a bit forced though. Too many people involved and too many attempts to force humour rather than letting it occur naturally. Nothing kills a joke more than someone changing their voice and pulling a daft face to let you know it was a joke.

Drop a couple of the guys in the studio, do another feature per episode and it would improve the show massively.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Not watched last nights yet, but I really enjoy the normal show. Just a group of lads having a look at Scottish fitba. Something we get very little of on the telly. They all know their stuff and the short films are brilliant. Yes it’s a bit cringe but it’s deliberate. Surely folk realise the budget they are on if they tried to make some really slick football analysis show it would be terrible.

I just view it like it’s intended. Not to be taken too seriously. The fact it deliberately stays away from being all about the Old Firm is a plus and I’ve become more knowledgeable about the lower leagues from watching it too.

My 16 year old son absolutely loves it so that maybe tells you where’s it’s aimed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think the whole show is a good concept. I think you also have to be quite forgiving because it is ultimately a bunch of amateurs chucked in front of a camera and all the nerves that go with that. A lot of the people we see on TV have been primed for it for much of their lives.

It's all just a bit forced though. Too many people involved and too many attempts to force humour rather than letting it occur naturally. Nothing kills a joke more than someone changing their voice and pulling a daft face to let you know it was a joke.

Drop a couple of the guys in the studio, do another feature per episode and it would improve the show massively.
    Yeah I agree with that.

It’s almost like they need an experienced presenter to calm things down a bit.

Someone to put the foot on the ball and just tell them to stop panicking to use a football analogy.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I've not watched it, and if i'm honest i just dont like the way we do programmes about Scottish football in such an amateurish way.

I know this is about the Euros, but if it is in the same way as we produce the Scottish game, it wont be for me.

I'm fed up with the laddish way we present the game in Scotland, i feel it needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and promoted much more professionally, if we dont take our game serious, why would others?

Maybe it's because i'm older, and this is the way younger people enjoy their fix of football, but for me if you treat things as a joke all the time, eventually nobody will take it serious.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I've not watched it, and if i'm honest i just dont like the way we do programmes about Scottish football in such an amateurish way.

I know this is about the Euros, but if it is in the same way as we produce the Scottish game, it wont be for me.

I'm fed up with the laddish way we present the game in Scotland, i feel it needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and promoted much more professionally, if we dont take our game serious, why would others?

Maybe it's because i'm older, and this is the way younger people enjoy their fix of football, but for me if you treat things as a joke all the time, eventually nobody will take it serious.
    While certainly slicker, is that not what Soccer AM has been doing with English football for the last 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    While certainly slicker, is that not what Soccer AM has been doing with English football for the last 20 years?

Main stream coverage on BBC or STV should in my opinion be more professional, a soccer AM style programme does have it's place, i used to love it when Lovejoy was in charge with Helen Chamberlain, but as i mentioned in my last post, maybe it is an age thing, as i never watch it these days?

The Charlotte Church sketch was one of my favourite pieces of tv ever.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

I get your point and I agree there are some areas in which Scottish football could present itself far better.

Equally though I don't think any amount of polish and glitter is going to disguise the fact that in terms of the on field product we just don't have a great product, particularly when compared to England, which is an unfair but inevitable comparison.

There is certainly room for us to push and promote our game more seriously but taking an irreverent look at the game has it's place as well. The issue for me is the lack of a high quality, well researched serious show to sit alongside something like A View From The Terrace on TV or Off The Ball on the radio rather than it being a direct replacement for either. Something akin to Gazzetta Italia, which was years ahead of it's time, would be perfect.

@hibs.net private member

Don't compare the two ha. When soccer am started it was completely amateurish homemade signs would fall down people in homemade costumes. Difference is your no going to crack a smile with anything on avftt when soccer am was hilarious at the start.
    Even though I wasn't a fan of the boys fantasy football was the same at the start. It had tiny budget talked about all the teams in England but grew as was really funny. I've met two from avftt and patter is as crap in real life, although one was sound and a decent journalist

Wouldn't even go that far. Change of presenter would work for the show. Current guy is just terrible.

I get your point and I agree there are some areas in which Scottish football could present itself far better.

Equally though I don't think any amount of polish and glitter is going to disguise the fact that in terms of the on field product we just don't have a great product, particularly when compared to England, which is an unfair but inevitable comparison.

There is certainly room for us to push and promote our game more seriously but taking an irreverent look at the game has it's place as well. The issue for me is the lack of a high quality, well researched serious show to sit alongside something like A View From The Terrace on TV or Off The Ball on the radio rather than it being a direct replacement for either. Something akin to Gazzetta Italia, which was years ahead of it's time, would be perfect.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head about our product not being as good compared to the English game, although perhaps if we were more professional in the way we presented our game, it would look a little better.

I feel we need to stop comparing ourselves with England, we just cant compete there, but we can make our game look better by presenting it more professionally and talking our game up at every opportunity.

There is a place for what we are getting at the moment, but for me our mainstream channels should be much more professional in their coverage, although i suppose it's quite cheap to present things as they do now and finance and giving the folk what they want, i suppose this is what the younger people want?

I just think it should maybe be on a sky channel and not our sole programme promoting and showing our product.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don’t mind it at all, it is what it is - as has been pointed out, they’re not natural TV presenters or comedians but they make a decent go at doing both, and it’s a fairly authentic look art Scottish football from fans’ perspectives. .

Good thread.
    Most of the views about how Scottish football are covered.

Consider this,
    without BBC Scotland all we would have is pay to view companies showing Rangers and Celtic games.
    That's scary.

STV have zero Scottish football shows which is a major gap in their service and a bit of an outrage.
    Channels 4 & 5 Scottish football is not even on their radar.

BBC Scotland give us:

TV:
    A View from The Terrace
    Sportscene - Premier Highlights
    Live Premier matches on ALBA
    Live Friday Championship matches
    Ladies Premier Highlights Programme
    Live Ladies Premier matches on Alba
    Mens domestic league play off matches other than Championship play off final
    Scotland International Highlights
    Scotland Euro Finals games Live

Radio
    Sportssound - Nightly magazine programme
    Sportssound - Saturday, Sunday, Midweek coverage of almost every Scottish domestic, European and International games
    Off The Ball

That is a great service to Scottish football fans.

P.S. The Terrace podcast is much better than the TV programme. The guys are relaxed, natural, engaging and funny with their football knowledge to the fore. Try it.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 27-06-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Anybody been watching the Scotland feed on youtube? Not particularly good in anyway but I've had it on in the background as I do some work.
    The boy Smart (hibs fan ex sun I believe) was presenting this morning.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Anybody been watching the Scotland feed on youtube? Not particularly good in anyway but I've had it on in the background as I do some work.
    The boy Smart (hibs fan ex sun I believe) was presenting this morning.
    Is it not a different Smart who’s presenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You could be right I don't read the sun but he did mention he was a massive hibs fan

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It was certainly Gordon first thing this morning.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It was certainly Gordon first thing this morning.

Ok Callum

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    What a lot of rubbish. Was hoping for something to keep the excitement building for Monday and it was just incredibly cringe and brutal patter
    Amateurish sh### from jambo oriented tramps.

Left by mutual consent!

They're not really a bunch of amateurs, they're all professional journalists. I've met a couple of them, Sked and the curly dark haired one whose name I've forgotten. Decent enough blokes (despite being yams) and very much football nerds. I haven't often watched it but it seems ok to me. There's another similar 'banter' show tho which features four Scottish blokes sitting on a couch and trying to be funny which is genuinely unwatchable.

What was that long ago forerunner of these types of show that Baddiel and Skinner used to host?

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Didn't see it, but I understand a lot of the criticism others have posted.

It is certainly sometimes cringeworthy and amateurish, but I would say be careful what you wish for. If it gets pulled indefinitely, it will be replaced by a tv version of the Daily Record which will only cover Rangers and Celtic stuff.

I think the concept is good as is a lot of the content. A couple of the presenters need replaced though. Too much bias towards one club (Hearts) and I'd say that if it were any other club.