hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They all come out with crap, at times
    True. However, you couldn’t mistake his delight at the despondency of the Ukrainian fans and the delight of the Dutch fans. His comments were mis-timed, ignorant, biased and, frankly, unnecessary.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    Represented Aruba as a youth.
    His ancestry and the fact Britain had its paws on the island for a while
    hints at a slave surname at one point. Sadly.
    Yeah Sherlock like no nations past isn’t littered with slaves, the Scots, put on galleys in the Thames, due to being male, appearing between 14 & 60, & shipped to W Indies/Australia etc after Scotland was defeated in 1746, that wasn’t a form of slavery? Served it’s purpose right enough, no way could a nation raise an army if it had no male population.
    Could be construed slavery, could be viewed pragmatic, interpretations, eh?
    Last edited by majorhibs; 13-06-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    True. However, you couldn’t mistake his delight at the despondency of the Ukrainian fans and the delight of the Dutch fans. His comments were mis-timed, ignorant, biased and, frankly, unnecessary.
    Ive never been called an Ally McCoist fan by any stretch, but I don’t think there’s any malice in his comments whatsoever. He’s just very enthusiastic and excitable when there are goals for either team. Which is more than can be said for a lot of co commentators past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Ive never been called an Ally McCoist fan by any stretch, but I don’t think there’s any malice in his comments whatsoever. He’s just very enthusiastic and excitable when there are goals for either team. Which is more than can be said for a lot of co commentators past and present.
    Agreed , he’s a more than decent pundit.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Yeah Sherlock like no nations past isn’t littered with slaves, the Scots, put on galleys in the Thames, due to being male, appearing between 14 & 60, & shipped to W Indies/Australia etc after Scotland was defeated in 1746, that wasn’t a form of slavery? Served it’s purpose right enough, no way could a nation raise an army if it had no male population.
    Could be construed slavery, could be viewed pragmatic, interpretations, eh?
    I can’t fully interpret what point you’re making but I think you’re over reacting to Ben’s post 🤔

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    I can’t fully interpret what point you’re making but I think you’re over reacting to Ben’s post 🤔
    Mebbes.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said thought Keane and Neville totally ruling out the Dutch as a shambles after the game was off. Maybe they have some personal issue with De Jong but thought it was unnecessary. Dutch are very much an outsider but at least they attack and are good to watch. Also bearing in mind they have lost probably the best defender in the world and their other excellent defender De Light was injured.

To say they have no chance is clearly nonsense as a lot depends on the luck of the draw just like England got in the last World Cup. Wee bit more respect imo.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    They all come out with crap, at times
    That’s basically a description of what pundits are for isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Got to be said thought Keane and Neville totally ruling out the Dutch as a shambles after the game was off. Maybe they have some personal issue with De Jong but thought it was unnecessary. Dutch are very much an outsider but at least they attack and are good to watch. Also bearing in mind they have lost probably the best defender in the world and their other excellent defender De Light was injured.

To say they have no chance is clearly nonsense as a lot depends on the luck of the draw just like England got in the last World Cup. Wee bit more respect imo.
    The Netherlands could beat anyone, or lose to anyone. Old school guys like Keane hate that.

With de ligt back, they'll be much more solid at the back. De Ligt and De Vrij are excellent defenders.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The Netherlands could beat anyone, or lose to anyone. Old school guys like Keane hate that.

With de ligt back, they'll be much more solid at the back. De Ligt and De Vrij are excellent defenders.
    Thought it was unnecessarily dismissive of them with no context given to the players not playing they have won well in the best game of the tournament. No doubt De Jong annoyed Keane and Neville in some Manc Derby years ago.

I wasn't that impressed with the Dutch to be honest. They'd have to hugely improve to beat the likes of France or Belgium.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

After his disgraceful stint as Sevco manager, playing to the gallery and stirring the sectarian pot to advance his own position, I can’t stand listening to him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    After his disgraceful stint as Sevco manager, playing to the gallery and stirring the sectarian pot to advance his own position, I can’t stand listening to him anymore.
    That was the time I really didn’t like him too. Based purely on his performance as a co-commentator or a pundit, there is a long list of people that irritate me ahead of him.

Yep when de Ligt returns I think there’s an argument their best player is coming back into the team. (With Van Dijk not in the conversation for now)

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Poland 0 v 1 Slovakia

Mak

Just on the basis of my missus coming back from a trip to Slovakia with a replica shirt for our boy, I’m cheering them on. Good start vs the Poles.

Interesting this game is being reffed totally differently from our game, any minimal contact gets a foul.

This is a very decent game. Slovaks looking very slick on the counter. Lewandowski no impact so far.

Game should be being played in Dublin. Had no idea they'd had their games taken from them.

Crazy to blame keeper for that goal. He didn't actually get beat. It deflected onto the post (so off target) and then comes off him. Just extremely unlucky

Duda #8 looks absolute class. Attacking midfielder at Koln, were in a relegation playoff a few weeks ago, must be a target for a bigger club on this evidence.

Crazy to blame keeper for that goal. He didn't actually get beat. It deflected onto the post (so off target) and then comes off him. Just extremely unlucky
    I don’t think the pundit saw the deflection before he said that, but even without a deflection the comment made no sense. Never the keepers fault, I hate it when they roll out the ‘near post’ trope.

Ooft! Poles score 30 seconds into the half.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I don’t think the pundit saw the deflection before he said that, but even without a deflection the comment made no sense. Never the keepers fault, I hate it when they roll out the ‘near post’ trope.
    The lassie in the commentary box (was going to guess Alex Scott but don’t think it is) said it a few times and I couldn’t get my head round it either. She said “irregardless” of whether it’s taken a nick off the defender he should do better… well what about if it’s rattled off the near post he’s covered and bounced off the back of his heid?!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    That’s basically a description of what pundits are for isnt it?
    There is no need for them in my view. Commentators are obviously required for radio broadcasts but when it comes to TV matches, fans can provide plenty of their own talking points without endless pre and post-match analysis. Games should just be broadcast without commentary or analysis, just the same as if you are actually at the game.

I used to lap up all that 'big match build-up' stuff but I've come to realise that the vast majority of it is just unnecessary filler.

Great strike by the centre back for 2-1. Another good match.

Quite enjoying Emma Hayes on commentary. Clearly understands the game well. Do disagree with her about Szczesny though.

Poland are down to 10 men and losing 2-1 now

Duda again, they can’t get near him so they have to kick him. Can’t say I’ve heard of him before.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Quite enjoying Emma Hayes on commentary. Clearly understands the game well. Do disagree with her about Szczesny though.
    Emma Hayes is very knowledgable. She's talking too much for me though, I just want to know who has got the ball. Agree with you on the Szczesny goal she just wasnt having it was she, she seemed totally unaware it had come back off the post, hit him and gone in.

Not me. I know it's become fashionable to moan about women pundits but she is doing my head in. Not even sure it's her punditry that's the problem. Might just be her voice/accent.

*I'm all for equality. I can't stand Lee Dixon, Jermaine Jenas, Stephen Craigen or Robbie Savage either.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Not me. I know it's become fashionable to moan about women pundits but she is doing my head in. Not even sure it's her punditry that's the problem. Might just be her voice/accent.

*I'm all for equality. I can't stand Lee Dixon, Jermaine Jenas, Stephen Craigen or Robbie Savage either.
    I like her, one of the better co comms.