hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 164 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like I may be in the minority here but this lambasting of the BBC for not cutting coverage sooner?
    I don’t agree with most of your thoughts. This was a live event where something serious happened. The only way to keep abreast of what was a horrific situation was imho to stay with the live pictures.

Those who saw it unfold only had concerns for Eriksen and his team mates. In no way did the BBC suddenly think to themselves, wow this is juicy, gory, and just what the nation wants at tea time on a Saturday. No - they were covering an evolving international news event that was of interest not only to followers of football but I’m sure the general public as well.

And finally, although they did eventually cut back briefly to the studio before the broadcast was ended, spare a thought for those in the studio who were visibly shocked and no doubt needed time to compose themselves to comment briefly.

I have no qualms whatsoever on how this was handled. Sorry if folk disagree with me.
    I agree with all of that.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Surprised that it’s going ahead, like most others I was a little shaken watching that. Full respect to the players of both teams being able to carry on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Looks like I may be in the minority here but this lambasting of the BBC for not cutting coverage sooner?
    I don’t agree with most of your thoughts. This was a live event where something serious happened. The only way to keep abreast of what was a horrific situation was imho to stay with the live pictures.

Those who saw it unfold only had concerns for Eriksen and his team mates. In no way did the BBC suddenly think to themselves, wow this is juicy, gory, and just what the nation wants at tea time on a Saturday. No - they were covering an evolving international news event that was of interest not only to followers of football but I’m sure the general public as well.

And finally, although they did eventually cut back briefly to the studio before the broadcast was ended, spare a thought for those in the studio who were visibly shocked and no doubt needed time to compose themselves to comment briefly.

I have no qualms whatsoever on how this was handled. Sorry if folk disagree with me.
    A medical incident involving a football player is an “international news event” because it happened to occur on a football pitch therefore TV companies were correct to broadcast footage of the treatment and of his wife’s reaction?

Human dignity and a family’s privacy should be more of a priority frankly.

I don't think anyone is suggesting coverage was cut completely.

However I remember the Fabrice Muamba incident and Sky immediately cut to crowd shots or just focused the cameras on other parts of the pitch. Going further back the camera cut away from Alen Orman very quickly as he had his seizure. Obviously we all wanted Eriksen to pull through and there's an interest in these things that is entirely natural. The initial couple of minutes are understandable as people behind the scenes scramble about trying to regain control of an uncontrollable situation. The shots of his wife and teammates were further down the line, unnecessary and tasteless.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

My thinking is along the same lines as you. The broadcaster can't win in these situations, they can be accused of showing too much and equally of sanitising the scene to make us more comfortable if they cut it off. This is real life, no matter how traumatic, and the scenes we witnessed are nothing to what his wife and family will have experienced and will continue to do so for some time to come.

Are the games tonight going to be on TV?

Both BBC and ITV showing other stuff now.
    Cougars!!!

If he's looking like he's going to pull through and it's true that he's conscious and talking then I can understand why they would want the game to restart.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post

Apparently we’re not allowed to watch it because the BBC must hang their heads in shame or something.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar

Lineker saying BBC one at 7.25

Totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Lineker saying BBC one at 7.25
    Cheers.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers.
    Seems not

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Seems not
    Seems so

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I agree with all of that.
    So do I

Eriksen spoke to his team mates from his hospital bed and encouraged them to continue, according to reports.

For all the criticism of the BBC, including by me, the presenters and pundits have been superb, particularly Gary Lineker and Alex Scott.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    For all the criticism of the BBC, including by me, the presenters and pundits have been superb, particularly Gary Lineker and Alex Scott.
    Agree, u can see they are still shaken by it and fair play to them for carrying on.

In an attempt to lighten the mood I'm going to provide a round of applause for Alex Scott's outfit. 😘

BBC could have quite easily cut to BBC news or something. There is no excuse whatever for zooming in on the guy getting CPR and a close up of his face that looked like he was close to passing away.

I can't get my head around why anybody would think that was a good idea. This is not a reality TV show in a movie.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    You can see quite a number of fans have left, can’t really blame them

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Eriksen spoke to his team mates from his hospital bed and encouraged them to continue, according to reports.
    I’m not surprised he said that . And of course the players would all have said if asked that they wanted to play on. I hope somebody counselled them properly though, they have all been through a major trauma. I would have expected my boss to say thanks for being willing to go on but best not. Several of those guys are going to hit an emotional wall over the next few days.
    Main thing though is Eriksen is fine .
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    BBC could have quite easily cut to BBC news or something. There is no excuse whatever for zooming in on the guy getting CPR and a close up of his face that looked like he was close to passing away.

I can't get my head around why anybody would think that was a good idea. This is not a reality TV show in a movie.
    Tbf I think the vast majority of people defending the coverage have put their case forward well and given compelling reasons for why they think the way they do. I like to think those of us who criticised the coverage did likewise. 1 or 2 have lowered the tone a bit but that's always going to happen, for the most part it's been a frank but respectful exchange of views.

It's a situation hardly any of us have ever witnessed before and something so emotive will always provoke a reaction. I wouldn't like to have been calling the shots, it's easy for me to snipe from the sidelines. Gary Lineker apologised for any distress caused, that should be the end of things.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m not surprised he said that . And of course the players would all have said if asked that they wanted to play on. I hope somebody counselled them properly though, they have all been through a major trauma. I would have expected my boss to say thanks for being willing to go on but best not. Several of those guys are going to hit an emotional wall over the next few days.
    Great post

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post

We are all much more attuned to mental health and psychological trauma these days, which is obviously positive, but…

Sometimes it is best just to get on with things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Tbf I think the vast majority of people defending the coverage have put their case forward well and given compelling reasons for why they think the way they do. I like to think those of us who criticised the coverage did likewise. 1 or 2 have lowered the tone a bit but that's always going to happen, for the most part it's been a frank but respectful exchange of views.

It's a situation hardly any of us have ever witnessed before and something so emotive will always provoke a reaction. I wouldn't like to have been calling the shots, it's easy for me to snipe from the sidelines. Gary Lineker apologised for any distress caused, that should be the end of things.
    I've not read the thread so it's not a criticism of any posts that have went before. I'm just in shock at what I saw earlier on and think it was unbelievable for a national broadcaster not to cut elsewhere when it happened.

@hibs.net private member
    Understandably the game is being played at a much slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    A medical incident involving a football player is an “international news event” because it happened to occur on a football pitch therefore TV companies were correct to broadcast footage of the treatment and of his wife’s reaction?

Human dignity and a family’s privacy should be more of a priority frankly.
    I’ve said my piece on the tv coverage and I stand by it.

However, I completely get the sentiment of your final sentence. It’s a fine line between “OTT coverage” and consideration of human feelings. We all view these situations differently. That’s what makes us humanoids so unique. What is on person’s horror is another person’s intrigue. Happy mediums in these situations are almost impossible to arrive at.

Left by mutual consent!
    I’ve said my piece on the tv coverage and I stand by it.

However, I completely get the sentiment of your final sentence. It’s a fine line between “OTT coverage” and consideration of human feelings. We all view these situations differently. That’s what makes us humanoids so unique. What is on person’s horror is another person’s intrigue. Happy mediums in these situations are almost impossible to arrive at.
    Fair enough mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Agree with that. TV cameras follow serious injuries all the time, including serious head knocks, usually ending in the player making a full recovery to everyone's relief. The difference this time is CPR ! The minute the BBC producer saw this was the point to cut away an accept there is nothing normal about this. The images of Eriksen's wife were also in poor taste. That was pure voyeurism, nothing to do with the incident itself and all to build the horror of the moment.

BBC have a tough job, but they failed the decency test this time.

Left by mutual consent!
    This is awkward