hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For me the 78 squad was the best I've seen, Jordon, Dalglish, Gemmill, Hartford, Johnson, Macari, Souness, Buchan, Donachie, McQueen etc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dalglish and Souness (who was a midfielder) could never be described as stodgy footballers, both were world class players whilst at the peak of their games.

The current squad is light years away from what we had in 74,78, 82 and 86. Perhaps better comparison could be made with squads that qualified for major tournaments in the 90's.
    Believe it or not, I'm from the era where both those players were regularly criticised for not bringing their Liverpool form to the international team often enough - if you can believe that.

We'll not see another Kenny Dalglish in a Scotland jersey for years and years sadly - he was a 'one off' and simply one of the best footballers we have ever produced.

The problem with the current side, no international quality strikers and no international quality centre halves. Key positions that we have not had quality in for decades. And there are none on the immediate horizon at club level. We have good club players, but none that will take that step to the next elite club level (in those positions). That's a scouting and development issue that goes deep into the failings of youth football (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Believe it or not, I'm from the era where both those players were regularly criticised for not bringing their Liverpool form to the international team often enough - if you can believe that.

We'll not see another Kenny Dalglish in a Scotland jersey for years and years sadly - he was a 'one off' and simply one of the best footballers we have ever produced.

The problem with the current side, no international quality strikers and no international quality centre halves. Key positions that we have not had quality in for decades. And there are none on the immediate horizon at club level. We have good club players, but none that will take that step to the next elite club level (in those positions). That's a scouting and development issue that goes deep into the failings of youth football (for me).

Yep, top players in the middle and club players front and back, you'll win nothing with that. We have an international striker sitting watching the games because he has personal problems and fitness issues.

Dalglish and Souness (who was a midfielder) could never be described as stodgy footballers, both were world class players whilst at the peak of their games.

The current squad is light years away from what we had in 74,78, 82 and 86. Perhaps better comparison could be made with squads that qualified for major tournaments in the 90's.
    Depends on interpretation of stodgy. Souness excelled in two footed tackles just ask Oleg Blokhin, I wouldnt get on the wrong side if Joe Jordan either, that was the point I was trying to make. I wouldnt have mentioned their names if they were nit top drawer players, maybe I didnt make that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post

Strange that about Liverpool players because Gerrard had the same treatment from some England fans. Maybe Alan Hansen was treated differently though.

The press has always built up and run down players.

Daily Express headline on the morning of a midweek international LAW IS KING.

Daily Express headline next day LAW MUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    For me the 78 squad was the best I've seen, Jordon, Dalglish, Gemmill, Hartford, Johnson, Macari, Souness, Buchan, Donachie, McQueen etc.
    Agree!

For me, we've never had centre backs and centre forwards in recent decades that can be compared favourably with those of the 70's and 80's. Same can be said about the wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Yep, top players in the middle and club players front and back, you'll win nothing with that. We have an international striker sitting watching the games because he has personal problems and fitness issues.
    Even when Griffiths was at his best he wasn't a top drawer international standard player. He only managed 4 goals in 22 games.

IMO Che Adams is a better player than Griffiths.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The press has always built up and run down players.

Daily Express headline on the morning of a midweek international LAW IS KING.

Daily Express headline next day LAW MUST GO.
    Craig Brown didn't help matters by saying this team could go all the way at the Euros. Unless he was meaning all the way to London. We are now in very real and likely danger of not getting a single point and Clarke to absolutely hounded.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ss-craig-brown

I mean what was he, of all people thinking saying that?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Depends on interpretation of stodgy. Souness excelled in two footed tackles just ask Oleg Blokhin, I wouldnt get on the wrong side if Joe Jordan either, that was the point I was trying to make. I wouldnt have mentioned their names if they were nit top drawer players, maybe I didnt make that clear.
    Stodgy for me means bland and uninspiring, like how I eat porridge every morning for my breakfast from Nov-April.

I saw Souness play quite a few times in the flesh when he was at the Hun, so I remember what he was like. He was on the telly a lot with Liverpool too. He was a hard, ruthless player, but as you say, top drawer.

Jordan wasn't quite at the same level as a Dalglish or a Souness but he would piss all over any striker in the current squad. Lyndon Dykes, FFS. He has one good game, v Serbia ( I think) but he is the archetypal donkey.

To answer the OP's question, very few compare favourably with players in the teams of the 70's and 80's, with maybe the 90's being a better comparison.

Below is the Euro 96 squad. Most of the strikers would enhance the current squad. There's not much difference in quality between the midfields - i.e. McTominay would be comparable to McAllister, McGinn to Collins, McCall to McGregor etc. The 96 defence looks stronger physically, but no-one is as good as Robertson or Tierney.

Also below is the World Cup 1978 squad. Not many of the current squad would get into the 1978 squad, apart from a goalkeepers, Robbo and Tierney.

1996 Squad

Goalkeeper
    12 Andy Goram
    1 Jim Leighton
    22 Nicky Walker
    Defender
    3 Tommy Boyd
    4 Colin Calderwood
    5 Colin Hendry
    2 Stewart McKimmie
    13 Tosh McKinlay
    6 Derek Whyte
    Midfielder
    16 Craig Burley
    11 John Collins
    21 Scott Gemmill
    10 Gary McAllister
    8 Stuart McCall
    17 Billy McKinlay
    Forward
    20 Scott Booth
    14 Gordon Durie
    18 Kevin Gallacher
    19 Darren Jackson
    15 Eoin Jess
    9 Ally McCoist
    7 John Spencer

1978 Squad

Goalkeeper
    12 Jim Blyth
    20 Bobby Clark
    1 Alan Rough
    Defender
    4 Martin Buchan
    22 Kenny Burns
    3 Willie Donachie
    14 Tom Forsyth
    2 Sandy Jardine
    13 Stuart Kennedy
    5 Gordon McQueen
    Midfielder
    15 Archie Gemmill
    21 Joe Harper
    10 Asa Hartford
    16 Lou Macari
    7 Don Masson
    6 Bruce Rioch
    19 John Robertson
    18 Graeme Souness
    Forward
    8 Kenny Dalglish
    11 Willie Johnston
    17 Derek Johnstone
    9 Joe Jordan

If the 74/78/82 squads were playing in today's world cup format they'd probably have got to the knockout rounds. It was much harder with 16 teams.

Before my time, but it's a bit strange that we didn't do anything in the late 60s/early 70s time when all-Scottish teams were regularly playing deep into European comps and even winning them.

Before all our times, but had there been international tournaments 1880-1930 and/or we'd gone to the first 3 world cups (we thought they were beneath us ), we might have multiple wins under our belts.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Before my time, but it's a bit strange that we didn't do anything in the late 60s/early 70s time when all-Scottish teams were regularly playing deep into European comps and even winning them.

Before all our times, but had there been international tournaments 1880-1930 and/or we'd gone to the first 3 world cups (we thought they were beneath us ), we might have multiple wins under our belts.
    Look at our qualifying groups during the 60's. Up against Italy and West Germany for 66 and 70 respectively. Only the group winners only qualified. I suspect our amateurish approach to team management and selection hindered us too.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Look at our qualifying groups during the 60's. Up against Italy and West Germany for 66 and 70 respectively. Only the group winners only qualified. I suspect our amateurish approach to team management and selection hindered us too.
    In 62 we went out after a play off against Czechoslovakia. They were beaten in the final.

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    In 62 we went out after a play off against Czechoslovakia. They were beaten in the final.
    78 we eliminated reigning Euro Champs Czechoslovakia in qualifying and beat the runners-up, Netherlands, in the first group stage. If only we'd been able to take care of Iran.