hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How does the current Scotland squad rate against previous ones?

Just saw a news article saying they the current Scotland squad has ten players in the English top flight and two players with a Champions League medal.

I’m setting myself for a fall and I know it’s hard to compare against previous squads but...how does this squad compare against other squads? For me the Scotland team of 86 was pretty decent

2. Log in to remove the advert

Current squad is as good as we’ve had in my lifetime.

There will be a lot of posters with plenty more ahem.. experience than me to comment on some of the better groups of players we had. Maybe some will argue that for individuals we’ve got the best players in decades but it remains to be seen if they challenge some of the better sides as a squad.

I do think they’ll go up a few notches for a lot of people if the next couple of weeks go well though 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I'm scared to look at the line ups through the years since 2000 but off the top of my head on paper it's the best in that period IMO.

Arguably however Smith and McLeish had an inferior squad performing much better when we took Italy and France to the penultimate game of qualification in 2007.

First Team Breakthrough
    Just watching Mr browns boys and that’s last team that’s made a final, If you compare like for like this squad is better, but what that 98 squad had was the Scottish way of plying getting stuck in, I feel this squad that Clarke is building is brought Back the Scottish pride

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching Mr browns boys and that’s last team that’s made a final, If you compare like for like this squad is better, but what that 98 squad had was the Scottish way of plying getting stuck in, I feel this squad that Clarke is building is brought Back the Scottish pride
    Current squad is unproven but has more potential than anything we’ve had since the late 80s. For the first time since then it feels like we’ve got the potential to develop rather than just manage decline.

Also got a very, very good manager and leader.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Current squad is unproven but has more potential than anything we’ve had since the late 80s. For the first time since then it feels like we’ve got the potential to develop rather than just manage decline.

Also got a very, very good manager and leader.
    👏🏻 Mate well said I have good feeling about this but as we know being hibs fans anything can happen, has World Cup qualifiers came to soon for us after couple I’m not sure but we’ll make another couple tournaments in the coming years

I think this squad is very much of it's time - lots of young players, a bit inexperienced but bags of energy and pace and will run all day. Fortunately we have a good manager as well, who I'd back to bring the best out of them. He's blooded quite a few players and looks to have found a few solutions to a few problems. Weaker managers would have followed the old Scottish style of going for experience or going with the big guys - and not got this far let alone any further.

We do have weak parts of the team but we actually have an embarrassment of riches in some areas.

I was really impressed with a lot of what we did in the recent friendlies and I'm looking forward to the tournament in a big way.
    Last edited by Smartie; 11-06-2021 at 01:04 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think this squad is very much of it's time - lots of young players, a bit inexperienced but bags of energy and pace and will run all day. Fortunately we have a good manager as well, who I'd back to bring the best out of them. He's blooded quite a few players and looks to have found a few solutions to a few problems. Weaker managers would have gone with the old Scottish style of going for experience or going with the big guys - and not got this far let alone any further.

We do have weak parts of the team but we actually have an embarrassment of riches in some areas.

I was really impressed with a lot of what we did in the recent friendlies and I'm looking forward to the tournament in a big way.
    Look at Northern Ireland without top players, we have top players with good ones
    We should be good

Best since 1998.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Just going on tournaments we qualified for in my lifetime they are nowhere near the 78, 82, 86 teams. 90 was till probably a slightly better team. 96 and 98 teams is a tighter contest. 78, 82 and 86 teams really should have done better.

I was only 2 in 1998, so easily the best team I've seen in my lifetime.

Obviously some players I've seen that deserved so much better, aka McFadden. But pound for pound, the best Scotland side for me

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    I was only 2 in 1998, so easily the best team I've seen in my lifetime.

Obviously some players I've seen that deserved so much better, aka McFadden. But pound for pound, the best Scotland side for me
    I think that’s where I am, except being a bit older. France 98 is my earliest memory of watching Scotland at a tournament, but I think we have a more talented squad now. John Collins said himself on the Brown documentary that they didn’t have any real superstars in that team.. I would argue we have more than one now.

And agree with the nod to faddy as well. He gave us some great individual moments.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think that’s where I am, except being a bit older. France 98 is my earliest memory of watching Scotland at a tournament, but I think we have a more talented squad now. John Collins said himself on the Brown documentary that they didn’t have any real superstars in that team.. I would argue we have more than one now.

And agree with the nod to faddy as well. He gave us some great individual moments.
    I'm a similar age and would agree.

Missing a striker, even Kenny Miller would've made a difference, but other than that we're pretty solid.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Just going on tournaments we qualified for in my lifetime they are nowhere near the 78, 82, 86 teams. 90 was till probably a slightly better team. 96 and 98 teams is a tighter contest. 78, 82 and 86 teams really should have done better.
    Agree with this, '82 in particular probably the pick of the bunch in my opinion...I think we have some very good players in the current squad but none of the standard of a Dalglish, Souness or Hansen. Even Archibald wasnt a regular if I remember rightly and he went on to play for Barca. There was also McGrain, John Robertson and Gordon Strachan in that 86 squad..was some array of talent and they really should have performed better than they did at the Finals.

I think the strength of the curent squad lies in its togerthness and team spirit..they are talented in certain areas but the crucial positions in striker and centre half are where I feel we lack real quality. Im hopeful we'll do well and qaulify form the group..I dont think that is beyond us as we've shown we can get a result when needed.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This squad has John McGinn.

Leagu cup winner at St Mirren. Hibs Scottish cup after 114 years. Villa promoted, ever present in the team. Scotland qualify for first tournament in 22 years.

This guy is a lucky mascot. This Scotland squad is the first that will qualify from their finals group. I’m telling ye.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    I think Scotland have some very decent players just now, who are comparable with those I've seen in my time watching the national team (from mid 70s). Technically we are far better now than any Scotland teams of the past and Steve Clarke is a big reason for that.

We don't have the swashbuckling style of old, but we are a decent international side and the players are motivated to play for their country. Still think we have a weakness in central defence though, but we're stronger in that area than we were over the last few years.

This is the first group in a number of years that actually plays like a properly coached football team.It's good to see.

1974 was the best team. Should have gone further but was unlucky in the order of the group games.We started with Zaire and they played like it was their world cup final.After that they threw in the towel. If we'd played them last we would have qualified.

Player for player I dont think we are better than the 1970's or 80's squads. But we look a bit more of a team and thats down to Clarke.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Player for player I dont think we are better than the 1970's or 80's squads. But we look a bit more of a team and thats down to Clarke.
    Lots of great players in the 70's and 80's squads but like the look of the current squad and like Clarke as a manager.
    Get us out of the group's stages and will be the greatest achievement of any squad.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Looking in from the outside, I'd ask the question if you took Bale out of the Wales team in the last Euros that did so well, is this Scottish team as good as them?

@hibs.net private member
    Unbelievable that the players we had in the 1950’s 60’s and 70’s didn’t do better. Considering the quality of player that didn’t get a look in for caps, those that did were world class

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Current squad is as good as we’ve had in my lifetime.
    I showed my kids videos of Scotland in the 70's and 80s, we'll never see players of that calibre in such quantity ever again. If this is the best bunch in your lifetime I genuinely pity you.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Unbelievable that the players we had in the 1950’s 60’s and 70’s didn’t do better. Considering the quality of player that didn’t get a look in for caps, those that did were world class
    Didn’t realise Scotland have never reached the knockout stages of a major tournament until earlier on. Crazy when in comparison Wales have only reached the World Cup and Euro’s once in their history (excluding this year) and reached the Quarter Final and Semi Final respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Didn’t realise Scotland have never reached the knockout stages of a major tournament until earlier on. Crazy when in comparison Wales have only reached the World Cup and Euro’s once in their history (excluding this year) and reached the Quarter Final and Semi Final respectively.
    Scotland are every bit as unlucky as hibs when it comes to finals. We came home as the only unbeaten team in the 74 world cup, we were very unlucky to have played Zaire first.
    78 there are just no words to describe how good a team that was and their abject performance against Iran and Peru to then showing what they could do against Holland.

I think the overall quality of the squad is as good as we’ve had for at least 20 years but unfortunately we’’re a bit lacking in 2/3 key areas. We’ve an abundance of really class midfielders and 2 of the best left backs in Europe but we don’t have many striking options and right back is a problem area (at the moment, although Patterson looks very promising).

Really though- by playing to our strengths we should fear nobody.

74 team was unbeaten in the group stages. They were a very good side and in 78 we were good everywhere. We dont have world class players in the current squad except for maybe Tierney. In the past we had players like Dalgleish, Souness and Jordan leading the front making us stodgy but dangerous upfront. Also John Robertson from Notts Forrest was a class winger and John Wark from Ipswich deserves a mention but in those days from 74 we always qualified fir Wirld cups and that says it all really.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    74 team was unbeaten in the group stages. They were a very good side and in 78 we were good everywhere. We dont have world class players in the current squad except for maybe Tierney. In the past we had players like Dalgleish, Souness and Jordan leading the front making us stodgy but dangerous upfront. Also John Robertson from Notts Forrest was a class winger and John Wark from Ipswich deserves a mention but in those days from 74 we always qualified fir Wirld cups and that says it all really.
    Some of those names just help us understand the dearth of real quality we have now …John Robertson , who looked more like a Sunday league footballer was outrageously good ..amongst many others, martin O’Neil and Brian Clough calling him “world class”…

“We have a dream …..”

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Dalglish and Souness (who was a midfielder) could never be described as stodgy footballers, both were world class players whilst at the peak of their games.

The current squad is light years away from what we had in 74,78, 82 and 86. Perhaps better comparison could be made with squads that qualified for major tournaments in the 90's.

The frustration is that we might not do anything with arguably our best squad in 30 years because of a bizarre team selection in the first game