hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First Team Breakthrough
    Once had a conversation with Keith Wright about his Scotland call up (he only got 1 cap).
    He said at the time him and Robbo at Hearts were scoring goals aplenty at club level and the media were calling for Andy Roxburgh to give them a chance.
    When they got to the training camp however Roxburgh and Craig Brown never spoke to them and it was all about Maurice Johnston and Ally McCoist and West Coast bias.
    Both Keith and Robbo thought it was a complete waste of time and Roxburgh was just making a token gesture to keep the media quiet
    Also spoke to Peter Cormack once and he said he couldn’t believe that Christian Daily got 67 caps and he only got nine although he played for Hibs and top English clubs like Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.
    He said in his day the selection process was 10 Rangers players and Denis Law.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, Russia away in 1971, was a highlight, but my wee personal notes, also have him Captaining the U 23 side twice (1966 & 68), Captaining the Scottish League v League of Ireland (1970), and Squad Captain for the Home International Tournament in 1973, Captaining the team against Wales and Ireland.

My wee notes might be all be wrong though!!

No, I'm sure your notes are spot on. My memory of the Russia game was that Pat was dropped or relieved of captaincy after that game. In the Home Internationals although he was captain for 1st 2 games Pat knew he wasn't going to be picked against England. There was a story about it but I can't remember now!

Kevin Thomson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Your right with O'Rourke and Gordon just about the whole team should have had international caps
    You forget Celtic and Rangers had good teams and were winning European trophies at the time. I agree they should have had more but you can’t dismiss the competition.

@hibs.net private member
    One player who I'm surprised has not been given the chance to deliver for Scotland is Liam Henderson. He's done well in Italy which I would have thought would have put him on Stevie Clark's radar.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    One player who I'm surprised has not been given the chance to deliver for Scotland is Liam Henderson. He's done well in Italy which I would have thought would have put him on Stevie Clark's radar.
    Serie B is rubbish though.

Showing my age but Willie Hamilton should have had more recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    We’re fairly well stocked in Midfield these days to be fair. If he can get playing regularly in Serie A then maybe he could force his way in.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Eric Stevenson

I remember watching Eric Stevenson hugging the left touchline shirt tucked inside his shorts all sideburns and more tricks than a bagful of monkeys

He would beat the full back at least twice before making a beeline into the box only to be inevitably cythed down by a covering clumsy centre half leaving the ‘Penalty King’ Joe Davis to pick up the pieces

What a player he was always had the fullback in his back pocket and chipped in with more than his fair share of goals and assists

Willie Wilson, Jock Wallace and Stevie went through by car to Hampden to watch Scotland v Italy in the World Cup in the 1960’s and Wallace told him he should be playing that night he was that good

A good Hibby he went awol at Ayr United to watch HIBS win the League Cup in 1972

His Manager Ally Macleod an ex HIBS player himself could understand

RIP
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 17-06-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yip!

The goal that sums ‘Mickey’ up was the quality ball from the right hand side of the pitch pinged 40 yards to Alan Gordon lurking just inside the Hearts box in the 0-7 game surrounded by defenders all he had to do was bring the ball down on his chest and slot it past the despairing Kenny Garland

Magic
    Bales assist for Wales first goal last night reminded me very much of the type of pass which was bread and butter for Mickey. Great vision.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I can’t believe Antti Niemi never got any Scotland caps before he was Finnished

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Bales assist for Wales first goal last night reminded me very much of the type of pass which was bread and butter for Mickey. Great vision.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    And Cropley! In a modern context it was Scott Allanesque!

https://youtu.be/h8wNJC-6j5k

Don’t know I how many caps Svein Mathieson or issac revfik got but found this