hibs.net Messageboard

Euro 2020 referees

What's everyone's thoughts on the referees so far. Generally, think it's been good. Also VAR decisions have been quick and mostly correct, apart from the Czech penalty at Hampden.

Notice no Scots referees in the list of 19 referees selected for officiating at the tournament. No Scots, yet one from Argentina - is that a slap in the face for our referees.

Felix Brych (Germany)
    Cüneyt Çakır (Turkey)
    Carlos Del Cerro Grande (Spain)
    Andreas Ekberg (Sweden)
    Orel Grinfeeld (Israel)
    Ovidiu Alin Hategan (Romania)
    Sergei Karasev (Russia)
    Istvan Kovacs (Romania)
    Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands)
    Danny Makkelie (Netherlands)
    Antonio Mateu Lahoz (Spain)
    Michael Oliver (England)
    Daniele Orsato (Italy)
    Fernando Andres Rapallini (Argentina)
    Artur Manuel Ribeiro Soares Dias (Portugal)
    Daniel Siebert (Germany)
    Anthony Taylor (England)
    Clément Turpin (France)
    Slavko Vinčić (Slovenia)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I think basically they have been decent. Not an easy job but seem to have got the vast majority of things right and as punters we're talking about the football and not controversial decisions.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't think it is a slap in the face more recognition of how appalling they generally are. I've not really noticed the refs too much which is always a good sign

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    It's not a slap in the face it's part of a referee swap between the Euros and Copa America.

I actually think the refs have been good, not dished out too many cards, as much as I hate var it’s part of the game now and for the most part the decisions have been quick.

No body is talking about them witch when it comes to it is how their job should be done.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    After watching our refs for nearly half a century it is absolutely no surprise that they aren't considered good enough to officiate at a tournament like this.

Left by mutual consent!
    They've been great. Controlling the matches I've seen with good humour and smiles all round.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They've been great. Controlling the matches I've seen with good humour and smiles all round.
    Just like they do in Scottish football? 😜

I think there has been a real effort by the refs to let games flow whilst still adhering to the rules. A few divers have been told where to go by them in no uncertain terms as well which is good to see.

Thus far I've been pretty impressed by them, including the ref last night who seemed to be getting a bit of a hard time from some Scotland fans on Twitter.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I heard ours didn't get picked as we don't have var. Don't know if that is right or not.

The refs have done well but it's been a really well-behaved tournament so far. It's been like a women's finals, and I mean that as a compliment to both.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 19-06-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Are any Scottish refs full time professional ?

Assume all those at the tournament are ?

I think their are less flash points now in games due to VAR and players generally behaving better unless they completely lose the plot.

The referees in general have been excellent as has been the use of VAR. This type of tournament is what our referees will continue to miss out on until the performance levels of same gets to where it should have been years ago. In short, Scottish refereeing standards are awful.....