hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

We need to talk about Brazil...

Don’t recall seeing this so I’ll ask the question...

Do any of you know what happened in Brazil regarding the players taking a stance on playing in the Copa America. And then the repercussions?

I appreciate we’re all in Euros mode but what went down there is off the charts...

seems to have received little coverage from what I’ve seen just wondered the extend to which it’s gone under the radar - and why? It’s an outrage that all world football should be concerned about.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Do any of you know what happened in Brazil regarding the players taking a stance on playing in the Copa America. And then the repercussions?

I appreciate we’re all in Euros mode but what went down there is off the charts...

seems to have received little coverage from what I’ve seen just wondered the extend to which it’s gone under the radar - and why? It’s an outrage that all world football should be concerned about.
    What happened, did Bolsonaro issue threats or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    What happened, did Bolsonaro issue threats or something?
    Firstly curious to see what people knew/know.
    The first I heard something was up was a Tweet from Andrew Downie (Hibby, journalist and author of Doctor Socrates) saying that the manager would make a statement after WC qualifiers responding to rumours the team were not going to play in the Copa...

What emerged from then breaks your heart for what’s being sytemically done to a wonderful country with wonderful people albeit with some deep rooted social problems. But there was intervention. Just wanting to understand whether people were even aware. It should be a huge news story.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    The first I heard something was up was a Tweet from Andrew Downie (Hibby, journalist and author of Doctor Socrates) saying that the manager would make a statement after WC qualifiers responding to rumours the team were not going to play in the Copa...

What emerged from then breaks your heart for what’s being sytemically done to a wonderful country with wonderful people albeit with some deep rooted social problems. But there was intervention. Just wanting to understand whether people were even aware. It should be a huge news story.
    I've seen absolutely nothing of it, haven't even been able to find anything when looking after seeing this thread. I take an interest in world politics as well; if there had been much coverage at all I'd imagine I'd have seen it.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

” there was intervention “. ??

what kind, explain.

When you've got 4 professional leagues, Libertadores and World Cup qualifiers going on, the Copa America — meaning that you have a few extra professional players staying in the best hotels — is a drop in the ocean compared to them having bars and restaurants open as 2 thousand have died everyday on average for the past few months.

The only scandal would be it took the government a few hours to respond to CONMENBOL, while they ignored Pfizer's vaccine proposal for months in 2020.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Is this thread's OP the dot net equivalent of a Twitter teaser for an upcoming announcement?

I've not heard anything at any point about Brazil.

It's been a weird year for news though. What would ordinarily appear to be pretty big news stories, very much in the public interest (UK government corruption etc) appear to be glossed over where once they would have caused outrage.

There are fairly appalling and remarkable things that seem to happen all the time - the entire Trump administration for example, ends up just being normal eventually.

I find I tend to gloss over stuff that should really register more and I don't think I'm alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I've not heard anything at any point about Brazil.

It's been a weird year for news though. What would ordinarily appear to be pretty big news stories, very much in the public interest (UK government corruption etc) appear to be glossed over where once they would have caused outrage.

There are fairly appalling and remarkable things that seem to happen all the time - the entire Trump administration for example, ends up just being normal eventually.

I find I tend to gloss over stuff that should really register more and I don't think I'm alone.
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...hout-scrutiny/

Not much about the Scottish Government corruption either.

I thought maybe they were still struggling to get over the Scottish cup final when I first saw this

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post

Come on, you're better than that - it's not just the SG (NHS, Scottish Government, local authorities and others) and nowhere is corruption method.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

No, probably because it’s pish. Public bodies, including NHS, Local Authorities and Scottish Govt. You’re being a bit selective .

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Come on, you're better than that - it's not just the SG (NHS, Scottish Government, local authorities and others) and nowhere is corruption method.

I agree that that it’s not corruption, but it’s what the UK Government did, and they are being accused of corruption.

whats good for the goose. Etc

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I agree that that it’s not corruption, but it’s what the UK Government did, and they are being accused of corruption.

No, they awarded contracts to their pals.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

It's be interesting to see how many SNP MSPs have spouses or family that are directors of the companies awarded the contracts or how many of these companies donate to the SNP.

You'll really have to go some to find anything like the same level of sleaze at Holyrood as seems to be rife in Westminster.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Back on topic...no, not aware of what's going on in Brazil (other than general awareness that their government are a bit sketchy).

What's happening?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Scottish/uk govt chat can go on the Holy Ground please folks.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

A giant headline and 5 lines of text.
    Talk about scant detail.
    That's not news that's a blunt worthless statement.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 09-06-2021 at 11:59 AM.

The ever informative Sportsound did a piece on it at the weekend including talking to a South American journalist about the situation

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Is it a secret or something? When is the big thread reveal?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmbegbie View Post
    I thought maybe they were still struggling to get over the Scottish cup final when I first saw this
    We taught them how to play remember. They should have announced 3 days of national mourning.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Is it a secret or something? When is the big thread reveal?
    As I understand it the tournament was meant to be in Argentina but because of some virus that's doing the rounds it's been moved to Brazil. The bit I don't understand is that the Brazil team are threatening to pull out.

If I've got that wrong someone could maybe fill in the details.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57410176
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 09-06-2021 at 12:56 PM.

If I admit to not having a clue what you're alluding to, will you tell us? I don't think you need to test the waters by being cryptic... there's not many people on here that will pretend they knew all about it.

Sorry for the delay - life events got in the way so I couldn’t get back on for long.

Team threatened and then pulled out of the Copa.

Bolsonaro intervened putting his man in at the head of CBF who then supposedly applied pressure / threatened/sacked the coach to replace him with his own man. All of which Bolsonaro denies.

Team then performs a U-turn and plays the Copa. Yellow colour is perhaps apt.

There’s an interesting Reuters lecture that was given yesterday from a Brazilian journalist about the situations they are facing to report the truth there in the midst of the lies and mis-information. One for the other boards but this level of interference is like going back to the dictatorship. Where is the modern day equivalent of Socrates - who spoke out about the dictatorship - now?

https://brasil.elpais.com/esportes/2...a-america.html

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    As I understand it the tournament was meant to be in Argentina but because of some virus that's doing the rounds it's been moved to Brazil. The bit I don't understand is that the Brazil team are threatening to pull out.

If I've got that wrong someone could maybe fill in the details.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57410176
    Yes that kinda covers it. 470k people have lost their lives in Brazil to COVID. Say it slowly and think. It’s still tearing through the country. Young people are dying. The president cares not a jot.

Probably the players were hoping it was gonna be cancelled, cos it almost was, and they'd have less football to play. They had already planned to stay in their swish pads in Europe watching the Euros sipping champagne and banging models. Then the envelopes came out and the tournament was switched to Brazil, spoiling their parties.

The average Brazilian couldn't care less about the national team, unless it's World Cup, as far as I can tell. I guess the players may feel the same.

You're being quite opaque, Viva Palmeiras.

Can you expand on your government/pandemic screeching?

I thought this thread would be nuts. And it is.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I thought this thread would be nuts. And it is.
    It's quite revealing, though.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's quite revealing, though.
    I was about to say something but realised it was a bit close to the bone. That was a close shave
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.