hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Very rarely get in to the club as I live so far away, but love it for a pint or three.

I joined St pat's online from down here, no problems at all.

Would be more than happy to chip in to help with the roof when the details are known.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was the bus the Hawkhill branch run affectionately known as Maude's picnic bus?
    Only by affectionate curmudgeons that wouldn't have known a good bus when it hit them in the face!
    A full bus every time when other branches struggled to do so. The picnic branch stuff came about on the back of a birthday cake one day. That bus outlived the likes of rivals like St Giles, Edinburgh West, Stanton and the like (as I arranged seats for many of them when they had no bus) and picnics were enjoyed by many and drink was partaken by some legendary figures.
    "Scarves off bad area" would come the cry from a wummin that just wanted her windaes back in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Only by affectionate curmudgeons that wouldn't have known a good bus when it hit them in the face!
    A full bus every time when other branches struggled to do so. The picnic branch stuff came about on the back of a birthday cake one day. That bus outlived the likes of rivals like St Giles, Edinburgh West, Stanton and the like (as I arranged seats for many of them when they had no bus) and picnics were enjoyed by many and drink was partaken by some legendary figures.
    "Scarves off bad area" would come the cry from a wummin that just wanted her windaes back in one piece.
    Did she ever hear about the events in the boozer in Perth after that 5 a side tournament? Those were the days! 🍺

First Team Breakthrough
    Hibs club too much of a clique used to go in alright about 10 year ago but now you can’t just go in for a pint

First Team Breakthrough
    Buses I loved was 40/50 seater away to aberdeen then a wee stop if at Kinross and fill your pockets now I’m in my 30s I see it was wrong but that’s what footballs about, groups of your mates feeling invincible but as you get older you see how daft you were but never regret it

I travelled on that bus a few times myself, never had any issues with it and Maude was a character alright . I remember those cries well, especially when approaching Ibrox, that was back in the day when you arrived at the club early to see what buses had seats left, happy days when I was a regular traveller.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    Hibs club too much of a clique used to go in alright about 10 year ago but now you can’t just go in for a pint
    I am a comparitively new member of the Hibs club and have found it very welcoming. As someone whose wife had passed away I found that I made new friends and it was great for me.

First Team Breakthrough
    I can’t speak for St Giles or Edinburgh West but disagree on Stanton. In fact Stanton had a small number of seats set aside for St Giles members.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    I go in pre most games. Never seen anything clique about it. Its generally members only for games now as we have much higher attendances. That not a clique. We do the same on .net when it gets too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearders View Post
    I can’t speak for St Giles or Edinburgh West but disagree on Stanton. In fact Stanton had a small number of seats set aside for St Giles members.
    They did but by around 1985 they weren’t travelling as far as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Did she ever hear about the events in the boozer in Perth after that 5 a side tournament? Those were the days! 🍺
    I think we kept that from her to her death bed C.

I travelled on that bus a few times myself, never had any issues with it and Maude was a character alright . I remember those cries well, especially when approaching Ibrox, that was back in the day when you arrived at the club early to see what buses had seats left, happy days when I was a regular traveller.
    You had to be early as the Hawkhill bus left ages before the rest and invariably no stops, straight to the game, as legend had it a certain someone had to get their before the team to sort out her “comps” 😁. Not stopping for a pint on the way to a long trip would create fury amongst the aulder fellahs like Willie Wallace and Willie Young (the latter actually did a wee bit of work at the club in his later years).
    This often led to young ragamuffins like myself wandering about 1970s Aberdeen two hours early and trying to avoid getting a kicking.
    By 1980s Aberdeen I embraced the additional time in the pub, making some very good friends amongst the ‘Hawkhill people’ AKA Mental Maude’s Green & White Army 🇳🇬😀

First Team Breakthrough
    Stanton Branch were very much alive in those days - took a bus away to Videoton in 89. Joined on bus by Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg lads- took a good 30 minutes to load on their carry oot.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    I am a comparitively new member of the Hibs club and have found it very welcoming. As someone whose wife had passed away I found that I made new friends and it was great for me.
    That's good to hear
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I think we kept that from her to her death bed C.
    I've still not forgiven her for calling me a Jambo because I had the Jackpot pontoon ticket the week I told her I wouldn't be travelling on the bus anymore! 😄

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Used to travel on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, windows getting smashed every away game, it became the norm for it to happen back then.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I've still not forgiven her for calling me a Jambo because I had the Jackpot pontoon ticket the week I told her I wouldn't be travelling on the bus anymore! 😄
    She had some tongue. I lost it when she told an old pal of both of ours it was no wonder his wife left him!

Stanton Branch were very much alive in those days - took a bus away to Videoton in 89. Joined on bus by Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg lads- took a good 30 minutes to load on their carry oot.
    I know they were alive, I don’t recall them travelling every week. In fact I’m certain they didn’t.

Used to travel with Maudes bus too, as soon as we hit Glesgae it was Scarve off.... Maude used to sell her pontoon tickets right away when we got home. Also she crammed the kids in ( no health and safety in those days) but she was a gem who will be and still is missed, she would be first to help if the club needed funds. If there is a fund to help the club im prepared to do the same with my hsl contributions.
    B

I know they were alive, I don’t recall them travelling every week. In fact I’m certain they didn’t.
    Mid 80s onwards i travelled on southern bus and stanton did have a bus every week. Along with carlton, edi west hawkhill etc. Be about 6 or 8 buses leaving club every back then, many more for the bigger games.

First Team Breakthrough
    I can assure you they travelled every week Iggy. Vibrant branch back then with over 300 members - Player of Year Dance sell outs at Leith Assembly Rooms and ran several Sports Forums with guests featuring Wee Robbo, Goram, McCoist, Referee McGinlay to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Used to travel on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, windows getting smashed every away game, it became the norm for it to happen back then.
    Travelled to Anderlecht on the Gunner bus. Over 30 of us packed onto a bus meant for about 22. Nae bother for a seat on the way back though as we seemed to have left half of the fans back in Brussels. What a journey that was. Great times.

The way fans travel to games has changed over the last 20 years or so. More go on train or by car. 80s 90s saw majority go by bus. 20 plus coaches was normal at away games. Great times.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Iggy Pope

Some great times in the Hibs Club late 70's and 80's with the various buses, some of the away days on Southern were great. Made a lot of good acquittances then who I'm still pally with and have a good drink with.

Some great interbranch football matches as well, Saturday mornings before the games.

Still a member but don't go in much but i can bet there are the same bonds and friendships being made these days wi the young team which will last 30 odd years later.

Oh I and Maude was a darling shacking her tin and selling her pontoons.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member
    Travelled on the St Giles bus mid to late 70's there were some characters on that bus . Was on one of the buses to the 1979 Scottish Cup Final , a few windows smashed and quite a few seats spare on the way back as a few got lifted.
    Still bump into 1 or 2 of them in the pubs of Leith .

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I was on the Carlton bus that went on that trip. Great times

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Iggy Pope

Some great times in the Hibs Club late 70's and 80's with the various buses, some of the away days on Southern were great. Made a lot of good acquittances then who I'm still pally with and have a good drink with.

Some great interbranch football matches as well, Saturday mornings before the games.

Still a member but don't go in much but i can bet there are the same bonds and friendships being made these days wi the young team which will last 30 odd years later.

Oh I and Maude was a darling shacking her tin and selling her pontoons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyFwNlMqKg

What a team of characters lol

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyFwNlMqKg

What a team of characters lol
    Haha, one of my claims to fame. We went onto win the league a season or so later
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I’ve got space at Piper’s Rest mate. Free half time pies & a pint if we win. Book here

https://thepipersrest.co.uk/book-now.html
    Im booked in for Monday, looking forward to that pint already

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I've never been a member of the Hibs Club but was always without exception welcomed by the staff every time I darkened their doorstep. I've brought guests over from Germany on several occasions who even got the tour of the club. Hope they get sorted.