hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Present Squad

If there were no departures or signings where do you think we would finish and would we improve on last season?

2. Log in to remove the advert

That’s a really good question. I guess it’s hard to say unless we see what squads other teams start the season with but I’d imagine we would be top 6. Aberdeen will improve I think, hearts will no doubt be stronger than probably 4/5 others. So in short, I don’t think 3 teams would improve sufficiently to better our current side to stop us being top 6, anything is too hard to predict I think

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s a really good question. I guess it’s hard to say unless we see what squads other teams start the season with but I’d imagine we would be top 6. Aberdeen will improve I think, hearts will no doubt be stronger than probably 4/5 others. So in short, I don’t think 3 teams would improve sufficiently to better our current side to stop us being top 6, anything is too hard to predict I think
    Pretty much where I’m at.

Impossible to say without seeing the other teams squads but I’d be surprised if the same squad would get us 3rd again. I’d imagine Aberdeen won’t be going on the sort of run they went on this season and Hearts will inevitably take a good few points off us this season. A lot more than Hamilton or Killie who have been relegated did.

I’d say top 6 definitely, other than that it would be very difficult to predict.

Anywhere between third and fifth.

Aberdeen have to rebuild their squad under a new manager, and who knows what Hearts will get up to. There will always be at least one of the next rank of clubs which has a good season and gets in the mix as well.

However with a settled squad (or just a couple of changes eg Mackay) we'd have the advantage of being used to playing together and finishing third demonstrated an overall level of performance (with some ups and downs) which the other clubs would have to match.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Among the current contracted squad, several are facing a really important pre-season period.

For various reasons, that would include Allan, Mallan, Murphy, Magennis, Murray, Wright, Cadden, Mackie, Gullan & MacKay.

If two or three of the above can step up and stay fit, it would make a significant difference.

I’d say top five on current team and that rule for the others too

The spine of the team needs beefed up
    Lack of depth coming off the bench in the latter part of the season needs sorted.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Top 4 for me if we were to stay free of injuries and guys like Murphy and Magennis hit the ground running.

Any injury to any of Boyle, Doidge or Nisbet and we’d be very vulnerable.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Among the current contracted squad, several are facing a really important pre-season period.

For various reasons, that would include Allan, Mallan, Murphy, Magennis, Murray, Wright, Cadden, Mackie, Gullan & MacKay.

If two or three of the above can step up and stay fit, it would make a significant difference.
    Getting a full season out of these players is key, even if it was only to give us a stronger bench or better options off the bench. We'll be fighting it out for 3rd/4th again i think
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

5th - 7th.

Rangers and Celtic miles away and whilst we should get the odd point, most of our games against them will be very narrow defeats. I just don't see us beating either of them with what we have.

Aberdeen will be better - they need to be. Hearts have the odd decent player and you'd expect them to spend somebody's money on improving what they have. I'd also expect them to have the better of us head to head.

It's probably between us and St Johnstone from there. They should get the better of us head to head but do struggle a bit for goals. St Mirren shouldn't be too far behind.

We've been a bit lucky with injuries in certain positions (although we have been quite badly affected with injuries to the expected players with the poor recent injury records) and really lack depth going forward. A bit of bad luck with a long term injury to Boyle, Doidge or Nisbet and we'd be scuppered.

I do actually think we have the makings of an excellent squad - the core is there, but as it stands it needs a bit of work. The players brought in in January made a big difference and if we lose Irvine I think we're going to need a pretty robust replacement if we're not to slip to the sort of form we saw around Christmas, which was pretty awful really.

There are a few players who might contribute significantly if they can stay injury free and get fully fit - Allan, Murphy, Magennis, Cadden - but it has to be said that that is looking to be a pretty big "if".

We also got a cracking shift last season out of certain players who you wonder whether or not we'd get the same again - McGinn was outstanding, Hanlon was very good indeed, McGregor top notch when called upon. You also wonder whether a bit of the surprise factor might go into Doig's second season and teams will wise up to his threat down that side a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post

I'm pretty sure the current squad would finish next season 3rd.
    Lots of midfield players to return and young guys to improve with another season under their belt

Nisbet has had a season to bed in and his confidence in his ability will be increased with making the Euro's squad, scoring against Holland etc.
    Has had a good season and next season will be even better. A great one touch finisher.

The midfield is worthy of discussion with lots of midfield players coming to Hibs last season off the back of bad injuries. They are settled in now and appear over the injuries. Add a preseason and they will hopefully all be ready to make a bigger and more consistent impact.

Of those players the biggest improvement should come from Kyle Magennis. He basically hasn't started yet, however, the positives are that it is now almost17 months since his injury, there has been no reoccurrence and he is looking physically powerful. Fingers crossed he is ready to join the party now and be the player Ross was desperate to sign.
    Cadden did well for a couple of games last season but probably wasn't conditioned and eventually hurt himself pretty badly. Will be another good addition to last seasons team. Similarly Murphy who finally looked over his niggling injuries as the season ended. Again, will be a more regular starter and add more of an x factor to our team.
    Wright really struggled to make an impact when playing early in the season. Well over his injury now and settled into the club he appeared a better option near the end of the season. Hope he can kick on now but it will be hard to find a place in the team given the other midfield options.

Returning midfielders Allan and Mallan. It has previously proved difficult to accommodate either in our team despite their obvious gifts but the addition of the more combative abilities and legs of Irvine, Gogic and Cadden may now allow their reintroduction (1 at a time) without the issues of before..

Doig and Porteous will continue to improve

Can Gullan or Murray step up after more experience in their loans last season.
    Can Mackie start the season fully fit and avoid further injury. Was looking really good before his injury last season. Fingers crossed for the kid.

So in conclusion, we have lots of good players to add to the guys who finished 3rd last season who for a variety of reasons didn't play much last season as well as lots of young players with another season under their belt. Accordingly the current squad would easily finish 3rd again.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    5th - 7th.

Rangers and Celtic miles away and whilst we should get the odd point, most of our games against them will be very narrow defeats. I just don't see us beating either of them with what we have.

Aberdeen will be better - they need to be. Hearts have the odd decent player and you'd expect them to spend somebody's money on improving what they have. I'd also expect them to have the better of us head to head.

It's probably between us and St Johnstone from there. They should get the better of us head to head but do struggle a bit for goals. St Mirren shouldn't be too far behind.

We've been a bit lucky with injuries in certain positions (although we have been quite badly affected with injuries to the expected players with the poor recent injury records) and really lack depth going forward. A bit of bad luck with a long term injury to Boyle, Doidge or Nisbet and we'd be scuppered.

I do actually think we have the makings of an excellent squad - the core is there, but as it stands it needs a bit of work. The players brought in in January made a big difference and if we lose Irvine I think we're going to need a pretty robust replacement if we're not to slip to the sort of form we saw around Christmas, which was pretty awful really.

There are a few players who might contribute significantly if they can stay injury free and get fully fit - Allan, Murphy, Magennis, Cadden - but it has to be said that that is looking to be a pretty big "if".

We also got a cracking shift last season out of certain players who you wonder whether or not we'd get the same again - McGinn was outstanding, Hanlon was very good indeed, McGregor top notch when called upon. You also wonder whether a bit of the surprise factor might go into Doig's second season and teams will wise up to his threat down that side a bit.
    We always seem to give other teams the benefit of getting much better! Those teams also need a lot of work and probably less work than the team that finished 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We always seem to give other teams the benefit of getting much better! Those teams also need a lot of work and probably less work than the team that finished 3rd.
    The question was about how our present squad would get on though.

We finished third, but Aberdeen were absolutely dreadful for the second half of the season. Terrible. They'd have to go some to appoint a new manager (with, you'd expect, a new manager bounce with a fresh start) and spend more money than we will in order to end up with the likes of Kamberi et al trying to pick up results for them.

Hearts are Hearts. They need to improve drastically but you'd expect them to have a bit of financial muscle relative to us. We're a bit vulnerable to them getting their act together one day, because they've been horrifically wasteful in recent years. And I'm just not sure I fancy Jack Ross to have what it takes to get the upper hand in derbies, given the results he's achieved in the past 2, given the circumstances surrounding those games.

I actually do expect us to improve. The players I expect to leave I don't think we'll miss as much as some past big departures. And I do think Ross/ Mathie have done well in the past at identifying shortcomings and addressing them in the transfer market. We've been shrewd there before and whilst I'd expect Aberdeen and Hearts to spend more, I'd expect us to spend better.

So once we've improved I expect there not to be much between the 3.

All depends on summer transfer activity - and FWIW I prefer our starting point.
    Last edited by Smartie; 06-06-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The question was about how our present squad would get on though.

We finished third, but Aberdeen were absolutely dreadful for the second half of the season. Terrible. They'd have to go some to appoint a new manager (with, you'd expect, a new manager bounce with a fresh start) and spend more money than we will in order to end up with the likes of Kamberi et al trying to pick up results for them.

Hearts are Hearts. They need to improve drastically but you'd expect them to have a bit of financial muscle relative to us. We're a bit vulnerable to them getting their act together one day, because they've been horrifically wasteful in recent years. And I'm just not sure I fancy Jack Ross to have what it takes to get the upper hand in derbies, given the results he's achieved in the past given, given the circumstances surrounding those games.

I actually do expect us to improve. The players I expect to leave I don't think we'll miss as much as some past big departures. And I do think Ross/ Mathie have done well in the past at identifying shortcomings and addressing them in the transfer market. We've been shrewd there before and whilst I'd expect Aberdeen and Hearts to spend more, I'd expect us to spend better.

So once we've improved I expect there not to be much between the 3.

All depends on summer transfer activity - and FWIW I prefer our starting point.
    So you’re still allowing everyone else to get better…

If it’s going by our current squad it’s only fair to judge on other teams present squads.

If the league started tomorrow with no other signings or departures for either team I’d say 3rd.

Aberdeen have no strikers and as it stands the biggest competition would be St Johnstone who can’t rely on their defence all season and Rooney scoring the odd header.

Yes Aberdeen and hearts will improve, but so will we.

I’m excited about the new lad from ICT. Scott Allan could be huge for us if he can come back for and firing to

3rd

Aberdeen do need to get better, but there's absolutely no guarantees they will.

Hearts are gash.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmbegbie View Post
    I’m excited about the new lad from ICT. Scott Allan could be huge for us if he can come back for and firing to
    Mackay was tremendous for the Scotland U21s yesterday by all accounts. Full of pace and running, should’ve had a goal himself and won the penalty for the winner.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mackay was tremendous for the Scotland U21s yesterday by all accounts. Full of pace and running, should’ve had a goal himself and won the penalty for the winner.
    Good to hear, looking forward to hopefully seeing him play at Easter Road in the not too distant future

Fans being allowed might make a difference as well, it was easier for some teams to play away, sometimes even at our expense!🙄

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    3rd, improve the home form, dropped to many points at ER this season, and need to take points from Rangers and celtc and we would stroll 3rd, I do think we have a good squad for the new season ahead if we keep everyone, will be down to the manager to improve us and make us harder to beat at home, our away form has been very good and keep that up we can only improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    So you’re still allowing everyone else to get better…
    The question is surely what will happen with our present squad which surely means if we don’t really get any better? I don’t think it’ll be debated much that Aberdeen and especially Hearts will be better next season. The thread is asking about us with our current squad though, so we can’t presume we’re going to be better. It’s not the question being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    If it’s going by our current squad it’s only fair to judge on other teams present squads.

If the league started tomorrow with no other signings or departures for either team I’d say 3rd.

Aberdeen have no strikers and as it stands the biggest competition would be St Johnstone who can’t rely on their defence all season and Rooney scoring the odd header.

Yes Aberdeen and hearts will improve, but so will we.
    Surely that depends who we lose?

If we lose Nisbet, Boyle, Doig, Porteous and Irving, is it likely we’ll improve?

@hibs.net private member
    4th as think Aberdeen will improve. Wouldn’t win a cup though.

Anything from 3rd to 8th. It was a poor league last season, I suppose it depends on whether people think we had more 'good' games than 'bad' ones. We had one or two good spells when we looked good, but plenty of piss poor performances too. We finished 3rd and St Johnstone finished 5th but considering we played them 4 times without scoring a goal it's quite hard to make a case for saying we're better than them, but apart from the top 2 places the rest of the league is a lottery, and I'm not convinced this current team is anywhere near consistent enough to finish 3rd next season. Obviously I hope I'm totally wrong though.

4th

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Surely that depends who we lose?

If we lose Nisbet, Boyle, Doig, Porteous and Irving, is it likely we’ll improve?
    If we lost all these guys without good replacements, we might struggle a bit. Even with decent replacements, it might take a while to gel. So if we keep the nucleus of the present team, I think we should be looking at top four. If we lose most of them, a top six place is realistic.

Question is do we have confidence with this team to with the derbies next season ?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Fancying us for 3rd again next year, even if we lose the players rumoured to go I reckon we’ll replace them adequately

3rd at best, 5th at worst.

Everyone banking on Aberdeen improving, based on what? They’re losing majority of their squad, they’ve got a rookie manager, they’ll have Scott brown who is well past his sell by date, they don’t have an endless supply of money considering their losses and the new stadium coming. I think they’ll be worse than this season. By all accounts they were very poor second half, but they were well above average for the first half.