hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some Hibs fans just can’t cope when a player leaves.

If that same player has the temerity to come back, they get to hear all the abuse first hand.
    With Whittaker there were no excuses. He never once bad mouthed the club when he left, the time was right and he made us a wad of cash which set us up well. Came back and performed well for us after having an outstanding career both along the M8 and down south. Very quiet down to earth guy who never even played in the Rangers’ hands when he was there, just got on with his job.

Would love for his coaching career to take off and Hibs to find a place for him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    STEVEN WHITTAKER RETIRES FROM PLAYING

Steven Whittaker takes up a First Team Coaching role at Dunfermline Athletic along side Greg Shields under new Manager Peter Grant

All the best for the future Steven thanks for the memories maybe see you back at Easter Road one day

SSN
    I doubt we'll ever see a group of youngsters the likes of Whittaker, Brown, Thomson, Riordan etc ever again, the mind boggles at the talent we had back then

He put in one of the finest displays from any Hibs player at Hampden I've ever witnessed when you had a hand in every goal in that 5-1 mauling of Killie.

All the best Whitty I hope you have a long and fruitful career and one day make it back to ER

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Met him in a chippy in Bonnyrigg one evening it was after Leeds beat us in a friendly at Easter road circa 2004- 05 ? Still in his hibs gear , I was getting a scran before heading next door to the Calderwood ( pub ) And i asked for his autograph and had a blether about the game , He was bran new and chatted to me outside for 5 minutes as we ate our chippy then he said have a good night i'm away home ..Always remember what an easy going laid back guy he was , Pretty sure he said his family were Jambos

Folk through the years i know that know him say he was/is the ultimate professional all through out his career and gave everything for the cause

Always liked Whitts , That game at Easter rd against Hearts when he hit the post at the FF end and it bounced along the line and went out for a goal kick was ridiculous and sums up our brutal unlucky(ness) against Hearts
    he also done the same against hearts at tynecastle when he hit both posts in the 3-2 pub team game .

I think it speaks volumes for the man that he was able to leave us for Rangers yet still have us hold him in the highest regard.

Brilliant player for us (hugely under appreciated during his second spell imo) and always conducted himself with dignity.

He's one of the people you always want to see return one day.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Some Hibs fans just can’t cope when a player leaves.

If that same player has the temerity to come back, they get to hear all the abuse first hand.
    There's threads on here where they dont seem to be able to cope when players stay with us for years and 100s of games either

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Good luck to him. The treatment he got by a section of our support last time still sticks in my throat.
    I know there are those who say "I pay my money, I can shout what I want" fans, but they are not supporters in my eyes.

I did think there was a spell when he could have played better, but I'm pretty sure that was down to not being fully fit. I'm pretty sure the match below came after this spell of not playing as well. Unfortunately, the clip misses his skill in stopping a Celtic attack and then creating space to start the move that eventually results in a Hibs goal.

Hibernian 2-0 Celtic | Champions Celtic Suffer Third Loss of the Season | Ladbrokes Premiership - YouTube

He will always be remembered at a great player in my eyes, one of the few who have won a cup whilst at Hibs.

Brilliant player.

We made good money from him.

He returned and gave us 100%

Always acted with dignity and never been in any bother.

Hibs class

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I know there are those who say "I pay my money, I can shout what I want" fans, but they are not supporters in my eyes.

I did think there was a spell when he could have played better, but I'm pretty sure that was down to not being fully fit. I'm pretty sure the match below came after this spell of not playing as well. Unfortunately, the clip misses his skill in stopping a Celtic attack and then creating space to start the move that eventually results in a Hibs goal.

Hibernian 2-0 Celtic | Champions Celtic Suffer Third Loss of the Season | Ladbrokes Premiership - YouTube

He will always be remembered at a great player in my eyes, one of the few who have won a cup whilst at Hibs.
    Absolutely. Any players who wins silverware with us is a legend in my eyes as it happens so infrequently. Add in the money he made us and his status is secured. Always came across as a top guy too.

First Team Breakthrough
    Top quality player who served Hibs well,and wish him all the best for the future.

Was impressed with his honesty when he was with the currant buns when they were on the brink of free fall down the leagues.

Instead of trying to ingratiate himself (like other players there at the time) with their knuckledragging fans,he said at his age (think he was 28 at the time) there was no way he was going down the lower leagues and he was going to take care of his future elsewhere.

This off course didn’t endear him to the knuckledaggers who of course as is there way still continue to resent him.

Well done Whitt’s.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Good luck to him. The treatment he got by a section of our support last time still sticks in my throat.
    Yep, was disgraceful around me in S43 in the East at times
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent!
    His only blight was pulling on a blue shirt. That aside, a good guy.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

He was excellent

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    A mate of mine knows him well, and we lost the son of a very good workmate of ours, well publicised at the time as the young lad, a very good Hibby, had suffered a long and terrible illness but battled through what he could on his bucket list with the help of crowdfunding.
    Steven was very supportive and some of the contributions he made to the effort were inspiring.
    A very good lad that I could wish nothing but well.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    His only blight was pulling on a blue shirt. That aside, a good guy.

Probably the highlight of his career for him on a personal level sadly

CIS cup win will be up there as well mind you

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post

Did really well there..played over 150 games - 3 league titles, 5 cups. Lots of European football..

Also walked away from them when they were liquidated..then played lots of EPL games ...I’m sure he enjoyed all of that - no reason why not too....

Wish him well. Was disappointed he went to the huns but he served us well and I hope his next role works out for him

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Did really well there..played over 150 games - 3 league titles, 5 cups. Lots of European football..

Also walked away from them when they were liquidated..then played lots of EPL games ...I’m sure he enjoyed all of that - no reason why not too....
    Played in a European final with the goal of his career in the quarter final as well.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

I'm sure he'll look back at his time at The Ranges with great fondness, and rightly so. Was part of a really successful team.

Doesn't seem to have the same nauseating connection that KT seems to have with them either (not for a second suggesting KT isn't a Hibs man by the way)

Left by mutual consent!

He spoke of Hibs before he spoke of the rancid institution. Good on ya son.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Saw an interview on STV News ( I think) where he mentioned winning a cup with HIBS pulling on the blue of Scotland playing in a UEFA Cup Final and playing in the EPL

He'll always have a blue asterisk next to his name.

I might get a bit of stick for this but it’s easier for us as fans to be moralistic or judgemental but it’s different for a player. It’s their livelihood. I mean, I hate Rangers. I hate them so much that it might even transcend that of the tosspots from tynecastle. Rangers and their bigotry have been a stain on Scottish sport and society for decades. Celtic are little better but I find Rangers plumb even further depths. However, as a player with a family, if a club made you an offer where you would get a lot more money, probably more exposure to European football and more chance of winning trophies, it must be a hard thing to turn down. Like I said above, I was a bit disappointed when he left for them lot but he’s always seemed a decent guy and from what I’ve always seen of him, he’s done his best when pulling on a hibs jersey and served us well. I hate Rangers but I’m not going to say there is a permanent stain on Whittaker for having gone there. He did at the time what he felt was best for his career. Fair enough in my opinion, even if I might not like that *****hole he went to

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Not for me. He had a more than decent career both with us and elsewhere, no need for him to have any part of that questioned. .
    He will always be one of my favourite Hibs players. Loved him first time around and thought he was treated unfairly by a section of our support the second time round. I hope he goes on to a successful career in management.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Not for me. He had a more than decent career both with us and elsewhere, no need for him to have any part of that questioned. .
    He will always be one of my favourite Hibs players. Loved him first time around and thought he was treated unfairly by a section of our support the second time round. I hope he goes on to a successful career in management.
    Totally agree

The goal he scored for the huns against Sporting Lisbon is one of the all time great European goals imo. For the importance of it and the actual goal itself. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    No different in my mind to joining celtic. So if Whitty has a blemish on his name even after delivering us a cup then do you agree that Stanton should too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    No different in my mind to joining celtic. So if Whitty has a blemish on his name even after delivering us a cup then do you agree that Stanton should too?
    A valid and fair point.

However, Stanton was towards the end of his playing career. Plus a big factor was his exit itself from Easter Road. I don't think he explicitly asked for or indeed wanted a transfer but there was some bust up that saw him dropped for the 2nd leg tie at Anfield with Hibs holding a 1 nil lead. I don't think he even travelled to Liverpool and we shipped 3 goals to a Toshack hatrick.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Good luck and all the best with your future.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    A valid and fair point.

However, Stanton was towards the end of his playing career. Plus a big factor was his exit itself from Easter Road. I don't think he explicitly asked for or indeed wanted a transfer but there was some bust up that saw him dropped for the 2nd leg tie at Anfield with Hibs holding a 1 nil lead. I don't think he even travelled to Liverpool and we shipped 3 goals to a Toshack hatrick.

Yip, turnbull lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    A valid and fair point.

Pat didn't leave until a year or so after the Liverpool incident though but I suppose the writing was on the wall.

As for Steven Whittaker, the biggest compliment I can pay him is he reminded me of John Brownie the way he glided past opponents. Good luck in the future Steven.