hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Alex Cropley

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Alex Cropley

Came across a stunning goal from Alex Cropley today on YouTube. It’s for Villa rather than Hibs, but I felt there would be plenty of us that would enjoy watching it. To be honest the full 5 minute video is a wonderful drift back in time, but if you just want to watch the mercurial talent of AC his goal is around the 2 minute mark.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came across a stunning goal from Alex Cropley today on YouTube. It’s for Villa rather than Hibs, but I felt there would be plenty of us that would enjoy watching it. To be honest the full 5 minute video is a wonderful drift back in time, but if you just want to watch the mercurial talent of AC his goal is around the 2 minute mark.

I wonder how much Stan Bowles, Paul Mariner and George Best would cost in todays transfer market? Great names from times gone by....

A great player back in the day when fitba was fitba, now it's more like a game of chess.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Loved a goal against the Hearts

Built like a ‘sparrie’ heart of and as brave as a lion

Wand of a left peg and a quality quality player

Pretty sure King Pat picked him as his favourite of all the Tornadoes

Legend!

https://youtu.be/zYAcB6pO8cA
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 03-06-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Beautifully skillful goal when most of the others were just blooters, albeit some crackers.
    Some header by Mariner. The power he generated from a soft looping ball was amazing. Reminded me of the games of headers in the sheds at Leith Primary! Ha ha.

Blog Entries
    Just what was wrong with these guys in the 70s? Head down, going straight for goal, crossing the ball into the middle where a teammate was actually waiting & shooting from outside the box! Don't they know that when they get to the oppo box they're meant to do a series of sideways & backward passes until the ball gets back to the keeper who hoofs it back to where the move started. Now that's proper football, Bah Humbug!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Despite the sardonic wit Brog, you are bang on. Any time you get near an opposition's box, they should be scared of a Hibs player shooting or a corner leading to a goal. I like to watch ladies' football-full of skill and invention..just a pity about the goalkeeping! 😒

Might be my memory playing tricks but I seem to remember seeing him score against Hearts at Tynecastle from the most incredible angle. Sure he was practically standing on the bye-line and curled it in.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Just what was wrong with these guys in the 70s? Head down, going straight for goal, crossing the ball into the middle where a teammate was actually waiting & shooting from outside the box! Don't they know that when they get to the oppo box they're meant to do a series of sideways & backward passes until the ball gets back to the keeper who hoofs it back to where the move started. Now that's proper football, Bah Humbug!!
    To be fair, the defending in almost all of those clips is beyond woeful! A lot of why football has become so sterile is teams being better organised and coached defensively and also much fitter.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    Might be my memory playing tricks but I seem to remember seeing him score against Hearts at Tynecastle from the most incredible angle. Sure he was practically standing on the bye-line and curled it in.
    You sure that wasn't Arthur Duncan in a 2-1 Scottish Cup win. Looked to have overrun it only to tuck it in for the winner.

Don’t forget the step-overs

Crops did score one like that v them but was at easter road in a 3 1 new years day win for hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by andudare2 View Post
    Crops did score one like that v them but was at easter road in a 3 1 new years day win for hibs.
    That's the one.

@hibs.net private member

Gorgeous goal. Thanks for posting. You can see even the Sunderland fans applauding it.

Incidentally, there's more than one clip (including a great goal) featuring Hereford FC. I have *no* memory of them in any of the top leagues...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Gorgeous goal. Thanks for posting. You can see even the Sunderland fans applauding it.

Incidentally, there's more than one clip (including a great goal) featuring Hereford FC. I have *no* memory of them in any of the top leagues...?!
    That will probably be Ronnie Radford's goal in an FA cup tie v I think - Newcastle a big Fa cup shock.

Nottingham Forest 4 v 3 Hereford in the Second Division 1976-77

Great clip with loads of great goals and one from Oor Georgie that wisnae too shabby either

Weren't they Hereford United? Anyhoo, I remember the Radford goal well

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    [QUOTE=worcesterhibby;6586073]Came across a stunning goal from Alex Cropley today on YouTube. It’s for Villa rather than Hibs, but I felt there would be plenty of us that would enjoy watching it. To be honest the full 5 minute video is a wonderful drift back in time, but if you just want to watch the mercurial talent of AC his goal is around the 2 minute mark.

Thanks for sharing the clip worcesterhibby.

Alex lives round the corner from me and I still get a thrill out of chatting to him, as I did last week when he was out walking the dog.

Suffice to say, the Cup Final debacle was the main topic of conversation!

Fabulous player back in the day and a true gent.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

I think Hereford were voted in at the expense of Workington or maybe Barrow in the early-mid 70s who were de-elected as was the case then pre-pyramid.
    Not sure when they dropped out again but I reckon they had about 20 seasons.

They were wound up a while back and have been working their way back up the leagues, they’re National North just now so Step 3. They were struggling though. Think they’re quite well supported for where they are in the system.

But enough of that. What a collection of players are in there and that goal from Alex is sublime.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 03-06-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andudare2 View Post
    Think we were 1 down after 5 minutes & 3 1 up by half time. IIRC, in 2nd half, down the slope, Cruickshanks saved them from another hiding.

Think we were 1 down after 5 minutes & 3 1 up by half time. IIRC, in 2nd half, down the slope, Cruickshanks saved them from another hiding.
    Can remember being there ( in Dunbar End - no serious segregation yet I suppose ) but none of the goals but order sounds about right . For some strange reason I remember game cause of a police appeal at half time about a murder that had happened nearby . 3 v 1 going on 8 v 1 but we still lost on aggregate after freak result ( 1 v 4 ) at Tynecastle earlier that season ( am aware it was not a 2 -legged cup competition ) . I always remember Cropley`s late double in a 2 v 0 win at Tynecastle in about 1971 . My first away Derby was cup win in spring 1971 so after September league win will have assumed we always won Derbies , or away ones at least . Next season was 7 v 0 year so trend continued .

I remember similar in the 1-2 semi replay defeat against Rangers, appeared an impossible angle, Jimmy O'Rourke got the final touch with his head at the far post but it looked as it was heading in anyway. Fantastic ability from a magical player, we were blessed to have him and another we almost pushed out the door.