hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Mark Milligan

@hibs.net private member

Mark Milligan

Just announced his retirement, though staying on as a coach at MacArthur FC.

I thought we could have got another season out of him, but best wishes to him, he has had a pretty good career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I liked him as a holding midfielder, very decent disruptor and a good passer of the ball. Good pro by all accounts too!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Did well in the Daryl Horgan game.

Good player. Thought he was very underrated.

Left by mutual consent!
    Very good player!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good player. Thought he was very underrated.

That mirrors my thoughts. He just sort of quietly went about doing what he was there to do, fairly effectively, in my opinion.
    Heckingbottom thought he could get better and got rid.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    That mirrors my thoughts. He just sort of quietly went about doing what he was there to do, fairly effectively, in my opinion.
    Heckingbottom thought he could get better and got rid.
    And Hecky didn’t get better

Coaching Staff
    Both Millsy and his wife were very happy being at Hibs and living in Edinburgh.

Apart from games against Celtic and Kilmarnock I thought he performed very, very well for us.

He scored a beauty from the edge of the box yesterday and ran to the sideline to cuddle his kids, which made me think he might be hanging up his boots.

Still got at least one game left to play.

A top bloke, and I’m sure, a guest of honour at a future Oz Hibs function

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Really good player. When Hecky let him and Barts go, I thought if we are bringing in better, he will be some player.

Exclamation

Very average player in his time at Hibs. Couldn't run, passing was average and continually lost his man at set pieces.

Did hit some good form for a period and had some good displays in a back 3, including a 0-0 at Tynecastle.

Just shows that 100+ caps for Australia is pretty meaningless. He never played in a real top league at all.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Very average player in his time at Hibs. Couldn't run, passing was average and continually lost his man at set pieces.

Did hit some good form for a period and had some good displays in a back 3, including a 0-0 at Tynecastle.

Just shows that 100+ caps for Australia is pretty meaningless. He never played in a real top league at all.
    Opinions eh, I thought he was a far better player than the one you describe, to describe his Australian caps as meaningless is way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Did well in the Daryl Horgan game.
    He was marking Peter Haring and lost him as Hearts opened the scoring. Pretty big blot against his performance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Opinions eh, I thought he was a far better player than the one you describe, to describe his Australian caps as meaningless is way off the mark.
    Meaningless was a poor choice of words. It's not an indicator of any great quality.

We had people exaggerating Milligan's quality as he had so many caps and had played at the World Cup. In reality he wasn't anything special at Hibs level.

Jackson Irvine had similar fanfare and comments that we had no chance of signing him. Despite the fact he couldn't find a team before Hibs for 9/10 months. FWIW I think he's a much better player but again - lots of caps for Oz doesn't equate to a top player.

Obviously Milligan is a good pro and seemed like a good guy. Just commenting on his performances for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Meaningless was a poor choice of words. It's not an indicator of any great quality.

We had people exaggerating Milligan's quality as he had so many caps and had played at the World Cup. In reality he wasn't anything special at Hibs level.

Jackson Irvine had similar fanfare and comments that we had no chance of signing him. Despite the fact he couldn't find a team before Hibs for 9/10 months. FWIW I think he's a much better player but again - lots of caps for Oz doesn't equate to a top player.

Obviously Milligan is a good pro and seemed like a good guy. Just commenting on his performances for Hibs.
    He played an important role though - holding midfielder. Bartley also played that role. I think everyone understood the importance of that role apart from Heckingbottom....

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    He played an important role though - holding midfielder. Bartley also played that role. I think everyone understood the importance of that role apart from Heckingbottom....
    Not wanting to discredit Marv but i thought Milligan was a much, much better player than him. With Marv wanting away i thought it was ridiculous to let Milligan leave too. Struggled until Gogic arrived. Hecky shot himself in the foot.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Not wanting to discredit Marv but i thought Milligan was a much, much better player than him. With Marv wanting away i thought it was ridiculous to let Milligan leave too. Struggled until Gogic arrived. Hecky shot himself in the foot.
    Agreed

Think the downfall for PH was trying to replace MM with Josh Vela. Still gives me nightmares.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Both Millsy and his wife were very happy being at Hibs and living in Edinburgh.

Apart from games against Celtic and Kilmarnock I thought he performed very, very well for us.

He scored a beauty from the edge of the box yesterday and ran to the sideline to cuddle his kids, which made me think he might be hanging up his boots.

Still got at least one game left to play.

A top bloke, and I’m sure, a guest of honour at a future Oz Hibs function
    I agree thought he was good ironically thought he had his best game as centre back. Certainly missed him when he wasn't there that is for sure especially in the early part of the following season when you could have driven a bus through our midfield. Assume the guy Ojo was earmarked for his role but scuppered by Aberdeen though think we dodged a bullet there given how little he did with them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Agreed

Think the downfall for PH was trying to replace MM with Josh Vela. Still gives me nightmares.
    Horrific decision that was.

I agree with the majority - good player and did what he does effectively for most of his time at Hibs. No-one is perfect, so not sure why some pick on the one or two games when he maybe wasn't at his best.

That said, I'm more than happy we ended up with Gogic. He's impressed me this season. It's just a pity we had to suffer Vela in between.

I watched one game for a good 30 mins, broke up play, slotted into the back 4 to cover, he lacked a wee bit pace but you could see his class.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    He lacked pace but was pretty decent all around and I was sorry to see him go. What confounded me was in his last game he launched throw in 50 yards into the box. Not the sort of thing you'd depend on like Hearts and Livvy but would cause problems for stuffy opposition if used.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’m actually the opposite of the first half of your post in that I think judged on their time at hibs, Marvin was a far better player for us. I never really got, and still don’t get, the high praise for Milligan though he’s clearly had a decent and fulfilling career and probably is a decent guy.

Completely agree with second party though - emptying them both and bringing in Josh Vela probably about sums up Hecky’s reign.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’m actually the opposite of the first half of your post in that I think judged on their time at hibs, Marvin was a far better player for us. I never really got, and still don’t get, the high praise for Milligan though he’s clearly had a decent and fulfilling career and probably is a decent guy.

Completely agree with second party though - emptying them both and bringing in Josh Vela probably about sums up Hecky’s reign.
    An argument could be made that it was Hecky’s fatal mistake.

We didn’t ever seem far from being a decent side - maybe a different approach there would have made all the difference?

IMO distinctly average player.

Can recall his last game and he was leaving the ground between the east and south stand as the players were doing a lap of honour

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    IMO distinctly average player.

Can recall his last game and he was leaving the ground between the east and south stand as the players were doing a lap of honour
    Although we had an abundance of them at the time.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I think the pace of the SPFL was too much for Milligan. He seemed technically proficient, but he just wasn't able to cover the ground effectively. Given his pedigree, he turned out to be a bit of a mutt at Hibs.