hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 398
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you actually read posts , nobody has mentioned anything outside of Hibs and having to reevaluate their life. Its a football thing quite easy to seperate that from the rest of my life.
    Are you one of the ones that if Hibs get beat you go home and kick the cat and don't speak to anyone ?
    I'm the opposite of that. We have people on here saying they are still raging? Like really. Are they still walking about the place in a rage? That makes no sense to me at all. If you are carrying around those feelings that is not a healthy position to be in. Or do you just feel the rage when you start typing on the forum?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, why are we not taking their manager and scouting department?
    Have you not been paying attention to how they’ve succeeded? The large part of that squad have spent years at the club. They have an understanding of how they play that means even if a player makes an individual error, someone else is there to cover it straight away. It gives them more confidence to defend, press and at set pieces.

    That can only come through time and makes them greater than the sum of their parts. There’s a reason Craig, Swanson and Drey Wright have looked a shadow of the players they were at Saints compared to their time at us.

    You don’t develop a good team by chopping and changing all the time.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  4. #123
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s arrogance to portray them as this small team we are so much bigger than and expect to beat them all the time when their successes in the last decade dwarf ours. They deserve every bit of it too.
    Nobody expects us to “beat them all the time”.

    Occasionally would be nice though.

  5. #124
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm the opposite of that. We have people on here saying they are still raging? Like really. Are they still walking about the place in a rage? That makes no sense to me at all. If you are carrying around those feelings that is not a healthy position to be in. Or do you just feel the rage when you start typing on the forum?
    I’d imagine they mean they’re still raging when they think back to the game as oppose to being raging in general.

    If someone asked me about it I’d probably say “I’m still raging” when thinking back to it but I wouldn’t say I’m angry in general because of it

  6. #125
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the comments, bitching and sniping on this thread is crazy.

    Unless your opinion fits the narrative your shot down on here
    I've read every post on this thread and it seems like a healthy discussion. Folk have different views and that's normal. Whats the narrative out of interest?

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did Hearts finish the season straight after they were promoted?
    3rd. In the season prior they romped the Championship. We did not.
    A great day out ruined by the football

  8. #127
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And they can think that all they like. I wouldn’t call that Hearts-esque arrogance either.
    The difference is that they would think that because of their results and achievements, our fans (or at least some of them) think that because we sell more season tickets and have a bigger stadium, wage bill and training facilities.

    In the end it’s just the on the pitch stuff that matters.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  9. #128
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody expects us to “beat them all the time”.

    Occasionally would be nice though.
    We did this season just completed.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you not been paying attention to how they’ve succeeded? The large part of that squad have spent years at the club. They have an understanding of how they play that means even if a player makes an individual error, someone else is there to cover it straight away. It gives them more confidence to defend, press and at set pieces.

    That can only come through time and makes them greater than the sum of their parts. There’s a reason Craig, Swanson and Drey Wright have looked a shadow of the players they were at Saints compared to their time at us.

    You don’t develop a good team by chopping and changing all the time.
    Good point.

    But we also have players who have been at the Club years and years and years...................

  11. #130
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,159
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And they can think that all they like. I wouldn’t call that Hearts-esque arrogance either.
    Neither would I, because it has a good degree of justification to it.

    FWIW, based on spend/size of club we underachieve compared to St Johnstone.

    The thing that makes a big difference, imho, is St Johnstone stick by their manager during tough periods. Davidson lost seven out of his first ten games, iirc.

    We’ve folk who chase Ross after every defeat, we’ve had something in the region of 5 or 6 managers in the time they’ve had two. There’s something to be said for stability and letting managers get time to deliver.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  12. #131
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,159
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their fan base seems to allow stable management and blips in form which allows them to build.
    it’s like their accepting mediocrity moments have ultimately paid dividends big style.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither would I, because it has a good degree of justification to it.

    FWIW, based on spend/size of club we underachieve compared to St Johnstone.

    The thing that makes a big difference, imho, is St Johnstone stick by their manager during tough periods. Davidson lost seven out of his first ten games, iirc.

    We’ve folk who chase Ross after every defeat, we’ve had something in the region of 5 or 6 managers in the time they’ve had two. There’s something to be said for stability and letting managers get time to deliver.
    I think we all acknowledge that the last thing we need/want is a manager change.

    Its just amazing what St Johnstone and Calum Davidson have achieved to be fair and echos the point for stability.

    I just hope we can build something here by selling Nisbet Porteous and Doig.

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The difference is that they would think that because of their results and achievements, our fans (or at least some of them) think that because we sell more season tickets and have a bigger stadium, wage bill and training facilities.

    In the end it’s just the on the pitch stuff that matters.
    Just to be clear, St J can think that because of their results and achievements yet we finish third and we can’t?

    Nobody is basing it purely on wage bill and training facilities from what I can see although they’re also factors that would lead me to expect to beat them.

  15. #134
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their fan base seems to allow stable management and blips in form which allows them to build.
    Would you expect Celtic fans to accept finishing behind us next season or losing two games at Hampden to us because we’ve got one of the longer serving managers in the league now?

    Or to take that point further, would you expect us to finish above Celtic next season if we stick with Jack Ross and if not, why not?

  16. #135
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just to be clear, St J can think that because of their results and achievements yet we finish third and we can’t?

    Nobody is basing it purely on wage bill and training facilities from what I can see although they’re also factors that would lead me to expect to beat them.
    How many cups have the two clubs won in the past ten years?


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you expect Celtic fans to accept finishing behind us next season or losing two games at Hampden to us because we’ve got one of the longer serving managers in the league now?

    Or to take that point further, would you expect us to finish above Celtic next season if we stick with Jack Ross and if not, why not?
    Exactly.

    We laugh at Hearts for their big team mentality and persona but that's exactly what we need to have. The mentality of a big club and not accepting mediocrity. I couldn't care if it's our first time finishing 3rd in 16 years or 4th time in 40 years. We should be finishing 3rd and it was a weak 3rd this year.

    Do Hearts or Aberdeen even celebrate finishing 3rd?

  18. #137
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,159
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you expect Celtic fans to accept finishing behind us next season or losing two games at Hampden to us because we’ve got one of the longer serving managers in the league now?

    Or to take that point further, would you expect us to finish above Celtic next season if we stick with Jack Ross and if not, why not?
    Do you think the situations are comparable?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  19. #138
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,159
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

    We laugh at Hearts for their big team mentality and persona but that's exactly what we need to have. The mentality of a big club and not accepting mediocrity. I couldn't care if it's our first time finishing 3rd in 16 years or 4th time in 40 years. We should be finishing 3rd and it was a weak 3rd this year.

    Do Hearts or Aberdeen even celebrate finishing 3rd?
    That’s what we need. We need to copy the team that got relegated last season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  20. #139
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,835
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s what we need. We need to copy the team that got relegated last season.
    Eh, demoted actually.

  21. #140
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “Acceptance of failure”. There’s that phrase that nobody can explain what it means coming up again.

    The Hearts-esque arrogance of “significantly smaller team” rears its head too. Season ticket sales and the like mean nothing when a club has done so well to keep the core of their footballing department together and not even Rangers could stop them in the cup at Ibrox.

    They were the clear best team in cup competitions this year, evidenced by the fact they won both of them. They stifled us and made us look poor, we are still a work in progress who have improved tenfold since Jack Ross came in but don’t yet have the versatility required.
    Nobody is taking anything away from St Johnstone and their Manager; a remarkable and well deserved achievement in winning 2 cups.

    Tell me though, why are Hibs always a 'work in progress' (which I agree with incidentally), and St Johnstone are dual trophy winners this season? They looked like relegation fodder when their rookie Manager came in earlier in the season. What is it that they are doing right and what can Hibs learn from them? Some things seem obvious - a stronger mentality, work ethic off the ball and tactical awareness.

    On your point about arrogance, there is no arrogance in Hibs (the club and fans) having the self-belief and confidence to win against a club with significantly less resources than ours. Perhaps the arrogance is in fielding the same team and using the same tactics which have failed repeatedly time after time; somehow thinking that we must win as the opposition's players are inferior to ours?

    You are right to say JR has improved us during in the time he has been in post and his job is clearly safe for now. The results in next season's big games (Hearts and cup games) however will determine his future. There is significant room for improvement but I hope he succeeds.

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s what we need. We need to copy the team that got relegated last season.
    If we were relegated in those circumstances do you think we would accept it?

  23. #142
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we were relegated in those circumstances do you think we would accept it?
    I see that we're back in the twighlight zone again...

  24. #143
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

    We laugh at Hearts for their big team mentality and persona but that's exactly what we need to have. The mentality of a big club and not accepting mediocrity. I couldn't care if it's our first time finishing 3rd in 16 years or 4th time in 40 years. We should be finishing 3rd and it was a weak 3rd this year.

    Do Hearts or Aberdeen even celebrate finishing 3rd?
    I think this is the 4 millionth time I've asked:

    CAN SOMEONE TELL US WHAT NOT ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY LOOKS LIKE?
    A great day out ruined by the football

  25. #144
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s what we need. We need to copy the team that got relegated last season.
    I can’t remember who it was, I think it was a boxer, but they said that they don’t get nervous going into a fight because it’s not in the ring where you improve, it’s where you gauge you are at your abilities. You don’t improve by focusing on the moment of truth where you are revealed, you focus on training and improving on the build up to it as that’s the time that you can move forward.

    We are not good enough to beat St Johnstone in a single match on a regular basis yet. We are good enough over the course of the season to accumulate more points than them.

    We need to train our players better in a number of styles, build that understanding in the squad of the ways in which we play and of each other and also improve tactically.

    I’m confident that Jack Ross is the man in time to reflect on the season just completed and implement training, coaching and recruitment that will see us develop further in time. He’s an articulate modern manager who fits the mould of what we need.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Woodpile
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,467
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: fraserrmaltman
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we were relegated in those circumstances do you think we would accept it?
    Am I reading this right?

    You say we need to adopt Hearts' winning mentality, then it's pointed out they got relegated so you just go off on a tangent about something else?

  27. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it’s like their accepting mediocrity moments have ultimately paid dividends big style.
    This thing where supposed Hibs fans are laying into others for 'accepting mediocrity' i.e. finishing 3rd, consistently reaching semi's and final's (!) is becoming tiresome and also potentially as damaging as anything I can currently think of.

    As incredibly frustrating (and disgraceful if I'm being honest) as our 2 Hampden performances were against St Johnstone it's abundantly clear to anyone with even half a brain that the club is far closer to providing us with real success than they have been for ages. We have good owners, a good squad, and good coaching staff- yet these hysterical clowns are genuinely advocating that we rip it all up and start again at this point? To read comments like 'if we don't win something soon Jack Ross has to go' is genuinely incredible considering where we we were prior to him taking over. People forget how quickly thing can turn the other way.

    Instant success will never be something you can realistically expect in Scotland seeing as you're up against 2 clubs that have far greater resources. Yes we should have nailed a trophy this season and the disappointment will be there for a long time but we could also be on the cusp of a long run of being consistently good - something that has been very rare in my lifetime. This mentality a few seem to have of wanting to hound managers very early really is not a good thing.

  28. #147
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell me though, why are Hibs always a 'work in progress' (which I agree with incidentally), and St Johnstone are dual trophy winners this season?
    Because since the start of the 13/14 season they have had two managers, we have had six, along with all of the upheaval that comes with that.

    We should be planning for the future already and getting someone like David Gray or Darren McGregor prepared to take over from Jack Ross ideally two, three or even four seasons down the line so we have that succession in place, an understanding of the team style from the get go and we don’t have that upheaval all over again.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 01-06-2021 at 11:13 AM.

  29. #148
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I reading this right?

    You say we need to adopt Hearts' winning mentality, then it's pointed out they got relegated so you just go off on a tangent about something else?
    Yep - nobody's excels at losing court cases like they do. That's the standards we should be setting.

  30. #149
    First Team Breakthrough Halmyre Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    61
    Posts
    383
    Hibs players seem to blow hot and cold. Do we as fans over rate some of our players just because they wear the green & white. No matter who our coach is and whether or not you like Jack Ross or not I personally feel it is the players fault for the inconsistencies we have witnessed this season. Other than McGregor & Gray we have no real leaders on the park. The coaches can only coach and it’s up to the players to sort it out in the pitch and win their individual battles. We are getting outplayed by teams that on paper we are better than. I don’t have all the answers but we need to sort this out for next season. Great getting 3rd but could have been so so much better and these types of opportunities don’t come around often enough.

  31. #150
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Woodpile
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,467
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: fraserrmaltman
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because since the start of the 13/14 season they have had two managers, we have had six, along with all of the upheaval that comes with that.
    They also signed 8 new players this season including;

    Rooney
    Middleton
    Conway
    Bryson
    Melamed
    Brown
    Zlamal

    Previous season they signed (amongst others)

    Booth
    McCart

    6 of the 11 played in the cup final (one off the bench) so I'm not buying this "played with each other for years" - not sure who said it but it's in this thread and then people are agreeing off the back of it.

    I'm over the result, I just like accuracy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)