hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a well known frother yourself, don’t be blaming that solely on others.

Can you imagine the scenario though, Hibs sheite all season, but because we are guaranteed to win a cup, we will all be polite and civil to each other, commenting about how unlucky we were to lose against Dundee St Mirren and Airdrie in the League cup, as Jack was only trying things out in preparation for our Scottish cup run.

Yes i'm sure we'd all be clamouring up to the ground to snap up those season tickets, so we can watch us struggle around mid table losing more games than we just did, because come the end of May, it's party time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Can you imagine the scenario though, Hibs sheite all season, but because we are guaranteed to win a cup, we will all be polite and civil to each other, commenting about how unlucky we were to lose against Dundee St Mirren and Airdrie in the League cup, as Jack was only trying things out in preparation for our Scottish cup run.

Yes i'm sure we'd all be clamouring up to the ground to snap up those season tickets, so we can watch us struggle around mid table losing more games than we just did, because come the end of May, it's party time.
    There'd be an inquiry called for and a Jack Ross out poll for not finishing 3rd

Over 2 weeks now and there's still some hurting from that defeat, jeez get over it. We had a pretty successful season league wise and yes the cup results were very poor considering but that's football. Did Ross make mistakes, yes! Will he learn from them, lets hope so! Did the players play poorly, yes!

It's time to move on and look forward to next season, if these same things continue then we can start really moaning but lets look forward and build on a fairly successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Over 2 weeks now and there's still some hurting from that defeat, jeez get over it. We had a pretty successful season league wise and yes the cup results were very poor considering but that's football. Did Ross make mistakes, yes! Will he learn from them, lets hope so! Did the players play poorly, yes!

It's time to move on and look forward to next season, if these same things continue then we can start really moaning but lets look forward and build on a fairly successful season.
    You don't get to dictate when others do or don't get over something, though. Anyone is entitled to still be upset about the final. Players probably still are.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You don't get to dictate when others do or don't get over something, though. Anyone is entitled to still be upset about the final. Players probably still are.
    If you have an awful day at work before you go on holiday do you let it spoil it? Do you dwell on bad days at the office?

Sure as **** they don't because if they did it would be so all consuming it would eat them alive.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Would it be so bad?

In all seriousness, I agree with you and others that if Hibs are in the top 4 then we really shouldn’t be moaning. If we can kick on and firmly establish ourselves in the top 4 then all good.

The cup competitions were a real kick in the teeth though and it creates doubts about this team’s ability to deliver in the vital moments.

The semi final and two finals were all awful and I’m not over it yet.

Would it be so bad?

In all seriousness, I agree with you and others that if Hibs are in the top 4 then we really shouldn’t be moaning. If we can kick on and firmly establish ourselves in the top 4 then all good.

The cup competitions were a real kick in the teeth though and it creates doubts about this team’s ability to deliver in the vital moments.

It would be great, we could forget about every result bar the Scottish cup games, so apart from 5 or 6 games a year we could do something else on a Saturday and rock up for those ties and think the world is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    If you have an awful day at work before you go on holiday do you let it spoil it? Do you dwell on bad days at the office?

Sure as **** they don't because if they did it would be so all consuming it would eat them alive.
    There is a difference between hiding away from the world and still being bothered by something. You think guys like Hanlon and Stevenson just forget these things? Pretty sure they have both said bad results from the past still bother them

To be fair football is not a normal job in that respect. There is not really a comparable day you can have in the office that would be like losing a Scottish cup final infront of a worldwide audience in the hundreds of thousands and the sense of lost glory that inevitably brings.

Some of them are busy drinking cocktails on holiday. I think they are managing to not be too depressed. mainly because they know its finished and the most important thing is to remove it from your memory and start again. Being upset about a football game 2 weeks later just doesnt make much sense. We shouldnt even be thinking about it now.

I continue to be perplexed at your move towards being the voice of reason on here....

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Some of them are busy drinking cocktails on holiday. I think they are managing to not be too depressed. mainly because they know its finished and the most important thing is to remove it from your memory and start again. Being upset about a football game 2 weeks later just doesnt make much sense. We shouldnt even be thinking about it now.
    Why shouldn’t we think about it any more? Who dictates how others think or why they think what they think?

I’m hardly ready to throw myself in front of a bus, I’m not struggling to sleep or anything. But as far as Hibs go the cup final (and the ongoing uncertainty about getting in to games) has completely scunnered me. I’m glad the season is done and not missing it whatsoever, which is unusual for me.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Would it be so bad?

Not so bad that you got two finals out of it, what other semi did we win?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I personally hope the players enjoy their time off, come back reinvigorated and determined to repay the fans faith in them. They let us and themselves down in the last game of the season and they will know that too.

Exactly, everyone is different. Some folk need to get that and accept it. Game irks me as much as any in the last 5 years. Not the defeat so much as the manner of it.

I continue to be perplexed at your move towards being the voice of reason on here....
    I can be as miserable as anyone, but i do need a reason.

I have this guy on ignore and he still replies to me for some reason, I only see his reply on my phone which is a pain, always better on my laptop as his comments are hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I have this guy on ignore and he still replies to me for some reason, I only see his reply on my phone which is a pain, always better on my laptop as his comments are hidden.

I don't cancel holidays after making a mistake at work. The mistake still bothers me, though. They are hardly going to post selfies of themselves depressed are they?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

I don't cancel holidays after making a mistake at work. The mistake still bothers me, though. They are hardly going to post selfies of themselves depressed are they?
    I'm on his ignore list too apparently. We obviously don't meet the criteria to be in the grumpy gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm on his ignore list too apparently. We obviously don't meet the criteria to be in the grumpy gang.
    I'd laugh less without him. A very angry poster, especially when called out for posting rubbish.

I want to put on the record that those of us who were or still are annoyed because of the cup final, are not annoyed/concerned because of the result. If we had shown up and played alright then I doubt as many would have grumbled. The result isn't the issue. What is the issue is that we had so many games, too many games in cup and at ER in the league when we just didn't turn up, didn't even look like a team who knew how to win those games. He's had a full season to sort out that inconsistency but hasn't. Those who believe he will learn from that performance have misplaced their beliefs, from his comments post matches, it's all down to fine margins. Even Tanner and wee Tam apologised for some of those home performances which we saw on HibsPass. All of those cup games when we didn't turn up were seen by many on tv and highlights. It would have been worse if fans had access to the ground for games because more fans would have seen how low we can go. I remember JR apologising once for us falling below standard in a home game, but it's happened more than once and he never did apologise for that no show cup final, it was all just down to fine margins, not team/tactics selection, not being able to motivate the players to do what he wanted, nothing only fine margins. Having said all that I understand without anyone telling me that we won't get perfection. Is a bit more consistency too much to ask for though? It's not as though we have a young team out, which you'd expect inconsistency from, most of our team are seasoned and highly experienced players. Over the season the majority of tv pundits with far more experience in that level of football than I have, have said we are a good team, obviously in an SPFL context and I accept that as fact. I would have taken 3rd place and another SC final appearance at the start of the season and would have deemed that as a successful season, so shouldn't grumble. It's annoying though to have that SC slip out of our reach in the manner that it did, which was typical of some other performances we witnessed last season. So nothing had changed. The coming season will be a big season for us, but of course every season is. I will be looking for more consistency, fewer games when we have big fails and if we get that I'll accept whatever we achieve or don't achieve.

I don’t mind admitting I’m more excited for the Euros next week than I was before the cup final. Some of that is due to it being a coronavirus season and just not having the same attachment to football every week and it never feeling quite like a Scottish cup final the same it had in previous years. Whereas the lost feeling of Scotland being at a tournament returning (as well as loving international tournaments anyway) has got me really up for things again… I’m hoping that isn’t curbed by the pandemic as well.

Beauty of it is although I’m more excited, there’s little chance of me ending up feeling as disappointed as the cup final did, as expectations are much lower.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not so bad that you got two finals out of it, what other semi did we win?

I’m just making stuff up now clearly!

They are professional footballers - they will be fine.

They are professional footballers - they will be fine.
    Do professional footballers not have personal lifes, struggles and stresses like everyone else?

Do professional footballers not have personal lifes, struggles and stresses like everyone else?
    You are arguing something that really doesnt need to be argued. A professional sportsman knows how to take the disappointment of losing a game and thats not to wallow in it for 2/3 weeks.

You are arguing something that really doesnt need to be argued. A professional sportsman knows how to take the disappointment of losing a game and thats not to wallow in it for 2/3 weeks.
    Does anything need to be argued?

That isn't the case for every one of them. As many articles and interviews with sportsmen and women over the last few years as showed. Some really struggle with it. Some take a few weeks, some take days, some take years.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

That isn't the case for every one of them. As many articles and interviews with sportsmen and women over the last few years as showed. Some really struggle with it. Some take a few weeks, some take days, some take years.

Lewis Stevenson said in time for heroes that he immediately thought ‘here we go again’ when we went behind in the final. The idea that these things don’t have an impact on players and that it’s completely forgotten about within days/weeks purely because they’re professional football players is nonsense.

OK

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Lewis Stevenson said in time for heroes that he immediately thought ‘here we go again’ when we went behind in the final. The idea that these things don’t have an impact on players and that it’s completely forgotten about within days/weeks purely because they’re professional football players is nonsense.
    Got to agree with this. Of course players are affected by the psychological impact of things that happen on the field, we hear this all the time, from players and managers. There will be some who care more and some for whom it's water off a professionals ducks back.

WE could probably have a good stab at guesstimating a hurt-o-meter on here and not be that far wrong. I would say that guys like Stevenson and Hanlon who are so invested in Hibs will always regret that they didn't make history by becoming double Scottish Cup winners. They may have removed the hair shirt and underpants, sipped a few cocktails by the pool, polished their 2016 winners medal, but I would imagine it's not just water under the bridge to them.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 08-06-2021 at 07:16 PM.