hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, something that hasn’t been mentioned once on this thread yet you again feel the need to have a dig at me.

Again, I’d say I’m surprised the admins allow it, but it seems some are exempt from following the rules of the forum.
    Are you the only one who's said it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What would a good manager have done, though? Imagine they had Tuchel, or Conte? They'd have strolled the league.

Ole has done okay, but no better than Mourinho really and he gets slaughtered for his time at United.
    No chance would they have strolled the league imo.

They don’t have the players to win the league. Not even close imo.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    well it’s no surprise a Liverpool fan wouldn’t agree. You lot were after all the dominant force. But yes, united absolutely were considered ‘bigger’ (and I know that’s a debatable term) than anyone else.

highest average attendances in the country in all but two seasons of the previous 3 decades prior to the 90s. 50k crowds in the second division etc. For all their success Liverpool couldn’t get near their crowds most of the time. United were huge. Ferguson took them to another level.
    Just my opinion but crowd sizes don’t make a club huge.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    No chance would they have strolled the league imo.

They don’t have the players to win the league. Not even close imo.
    Maybe not. A lot of injuries haven't helped them either. Man City had a really poor start in the league and Liverpool obviously had an awful middle portion. This season was a good one to go and win it.

I never thought Chelsea had the players to win the Champions league but Tuchel took them there.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Maybe not. A lot of injuries haven't helped them either. Man City had a really poor start in the league and Liverpool obviously had an awful middle portion. This season was a good one to go and win it.

I never thought Chelsea had the players to win the Champions league but Tuchel took them there.
    It definitely was the season for someone else to make a charge for it.

Leicester looked like they could do the unthinkable for a while but fell away.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    What would a good manager have done, though? Imagine they had Tuchel, or Conte? They'd have strolled the league.

Ole has done okay, but no better than Mourinho really and he gets slaughtered for his time at United.
    OGS has brought back attractive football. Mourinho squashed it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    OGS has brought back attractive football. Mourinho squashed it.
    Certainly nothing attractive about thier Europa league final performance. 2017 when they easily beat a good Ajax side was probably better.

Certainly nothing attractive about thier Europa league final performance. 2017 when they easily beat a good Ajax side was probably better.
    Ok.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    OGS is a very nice fella and its hard to dislike him but when it comes to managing a top team look at the other top clubs. City have Pep giant of the game. Liverpool have Klopp again giant of the game. Chelsea have Tuchel again giant of the game. United are competing with these clubs or trying to but havent got the management kudos. Look at the other managers in the Premier League like Bielsa, Rodgers and many others wh have earned their managerial stripes and have great reputations. Ollie is a great fella but he isnt the answer at United. BTW Im no United fan other than enjoying their football on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Everton and United had Moyes...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Moyes is doing a good job at West Ham. Did well at Everton on a limited budget. So have got more time at Man Utd. Always on a loser following Fergie. At least he wasn't as bad as Wilf McGuiness.
    Watched on YouTube a piece on Old Trafford stadium. Problems with mice and poor maintenance of the Stadium. Also that seats are small and parts of the stadium it's uncomfortable. Glazers promised to spend on the stadium has not been forthcoming. Fergie must be unhappy with the way the club is being run.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Decent Documentary on Fergie doing the rounds just now

Well worth a watch
    Thought that was brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    OGS is a very nice fella and its hard to dislike him but when it comes to managing a top team look at the other top clubs. City have Pep giant of the game. Liverpool have Klopp again giant of the game. Chelsea have Tuchel again giant of the game. United are competing with these clubs or trying to but havent got the management kudos. Look at the other managers in the Premier League like Bielsa, Rodgers and many others wh have earned their managerial stripes and have great reputations. Ollie is a great fella but he isnt the answer at United. BTW Im no United fan other than enjoying their football on occasion.
    Ole still managed to finish higher in the league than all of these "giants of the game" other than Pep. You surely can't be saying that United haven't improved under OGS?

Ok.
    Good talk.

I understand that his football is probably a bit more pleasing on the eye (sometimes, sometimes his side a dreadful to watch) but its kinda irrelevant. United under Ferguson were rubbish to watch plenty of times, but got results.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Ole still managed to finish higher in the league than all of these "giants of the game" other than Pep. You surely can't be saying that United haven't improved under OGS?
    They havent improved from Mourinhos 2nd season.

Good talk.
    WTF?

I'm not interested in having an argument which can't be proven one way or another so I accepted that's your view.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Maybe they have but are you saying they wouldnt improve more under a top renouned manager? Would United not be better under Pep/Klopp/tuchel etc? Mourinho was a risk in its self, obviously been at top name but his reputation is in decline.

Not sure if you're United fan or not but Im not sure the mjority of United fans are happy with things at present, well certainly not the ones I know.

Maybe they have but are you saying they wouldnt improve more under a top renouned manager? Would United not be better under Pep/Klopp/tuchel etc? Mourinho was a risk in its self, obviously been at top name but his reputation is in decline.

Not sure if you're United fan or not but Im not sure the mjority of United fans are happy with things at present, well certainly not the ones I know.
    Liverpool have Klopp. They were third.

A name manager guarantees nothing.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No they weren’t.
    Of course they were. Liverpool were winning everything but United always had the biggest crowds. In 1974/75, in the second division, United had the highest average attendance in English football at around 50,000.

As for Fergie, a trophy machine, like Jock Stein and Bob Paisley. Such managers are few and far between.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is that not a myth as the goal did not matter, they were down irrespective of it?
    Correct. I think it was Norwich City who won that day, meaning United would have been relegated regardless.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Liverpool have Klopp. They were third.

A name manager guarantees nothing.
    You're right it doesnt but Bielsa finshieshed whatever Leeds finished, Rodgers finished fifth I think both would be an approvement on Ollie who I repeat I think is decent an vey nice fella just think United are limiting themselves and living nearish to manchester most United fans I know think the same. Improvement would be more rapid with a bteer manager. Lets face it other than playing for United what was on Ollies CV to give him one of the biggest jobs in world football?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You'll no doubt have statistics to support what you're saying, but Man Utd pre-Ferguson makes me thing of Mr Bling Ron Atkinson, record transfer fees, etc.
    Earlier still Wilf McGuiness Dave Sexton and superstars like the Greenhoff brothers and Stuart Pearson. Gary Bailey. Gerry Daley.. ... that achieved an FA Cup win maybe two depending on the timeframe. Two decades passed that giant club by. My favourite memory of them is getting battered at home by a WBA side with black Englishmen that their Neanderthal Stretfordenders couldn’t ever get their heads around. Bet they understand now.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Earlier still Wilf McGuiness Dave Sexton and superstars like the Greenhoff brothers and Stuart Pearson. Gary Bailey. Gerry Daley.. ... that achieved an FA Cup win maybe two depending on the timeframe. Two decades passed that giant club by. My favourite memory of them is getting battered at home by a WBA side with black Englishmen that their Neanderthal Stretfordenders couldn’t ever get their heads around. Bet they understand now.
    United 3 WBA 5 an amazing game. Albion were fantastic that day.

United 3 WBA 5 an amazing game. Albion were fantastic that day.
    Cyrillie Regis destroying, obliterating in fact, all before him on lMatch of the Day or whatever they called it. I watched that night and realised that there were black players that really weren’t Pele or Eusebio! Next for me came the ANL, Rock Against Racism and pure enlightenment. And here we are. “Oh Manchester, so much to answer for....”

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Cyrillie Regis destroying, obliterating in fact, all before him on lMatch of the Day or whatever they called it. I watched that night and realised that there were black players that really weren’t Pele or Eusebio! Next for me came the ANL, Rock Against Racism and pure enlightenment. And here we are. “Oh Manchester, so much to answer for....”
    Think Lawrie Cunningham played in that game. He was fantastic even more naturally talented than King Cyrille. Signd for real Madrid and died in acar accident if I remember correctly. He was simply brilliant.

Think Lawrie Cunningham played in that game. He was fantastic even more naturally talented than King Cyrille. Signd for real Madrid and died in acar accident if I remember correctly. He was simply brilliant.
    He did. He was. And he was. And he did.
    What a collection of players they were. Magnificent and came from nowhere other than working class inner city Britain, like Man U once did, Gone off topic but as a 15 year old observing, they were light years ahead of Man U and their staid stuffy ways with journeyman cloggers. Funny, laughable really, how time, and much more importantly television and money, has changed our perception of what football clubs really are. And mean to the people that can’t live without them

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Of course they were. Liverpool were winning everything but United always had the biggest crowds. In 1974/75, in the second division, United had the highest average attendance in English football at around 50,000.

As for Fergie, a trophy machine, like Jock Stein and Bob Paisley. Such managers are few and far between.
    Bigger crowds means **** all mate.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Think Laurie went to United also with Ron not sure it worked out. Think he was with another Spanish club when he tragically died.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Bigger crowds means **** all mate.
    Back then it would have been the main measure of how big a club was as regards earnings as well as popularity. Otherwise you could say Ipswich were just as big a Utd, they both won 1 FA Cup and had similar league success (or lack of) over the decade.