hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Hibs Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, for me the things I like most about Hibs.net are the exchange of information of all things Hibs. No matter if it’s team lines, transfer talk, gossip, tickets, bus and train times, how to get to Slovenia or the cut of Jack Ross’ troosers.

I really don’t think it’s a place to discuss, and at humongous length, what’s being said by individuals on Twitter. I think Twitter is the place for that, particularly if the strength of feeling felt by the actions of these folks is as vociferous as that being played on here, going by some of the name calling.
    I’ve seen a few of the Twitter comments and I know at least two of the participants post regularly on here and they don’t appear to be part of this so called debate.
    Individuals on Twitter aren’t really a section of our fan base. They are individuals representing themselves. If I replied to them on Twitter I wouldn’t be representing Hibs or indeed Hibs.net. I’d be speaking for myself. I’m not sure our fan base has any sections at all since the demise of the Away Season Ticket and the Singing Section. HSL might be considered one mind you. Hibs.net certainly isn’t a section to me as our thoughts and opinions are clearly diverse. Neither are a few reactive sorts on Twitter, they’re a shower of punters with the right to say what they feel within the laws of decency like everyone else.
    I wish I’d saw some of the stuff on here about how to get to Slovenia before opting for the route I ended up taking!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Well, for me the things I like most about Hibs.net are the exchange of information of all things Hibs. No matter if it’s team lines, transfer talk, gossip, tickets, bus and train times, how to get to Slovenia or the cut of Jack Ross’ troosers.

I really don’t think it’s a place to discuss, and at humongous length, what’s being said by individuals on Twitter. I think Twitter is the place for that, particularly if the strength of feeling felt by the actions of these folks is as vociferous as that being played on here, going by some of the name calling.
    I’ve seen a few of the Twitter comments and I know at least two of the participants post regularly on here and they don’t appear to be part of this so called debate.
    Individuals on Twitter aren’t really a section of our fan base. They are individuals representing themselves. If I replied to them on Twitter I wouldn’t be representing Hibs or indeed Hibs.net. I’d be speaking for myself. I’m not sure our fan base has any sections at all since the demise of the Away Season Ticket and the Singing Section. HSL might be considered one mind you. Hibs.net certainly isn’t a section to me as our thoughts and opinions are clearly diverse. Neither are a few reactive sorts on Twitter, they’re a shower of punters with the right to say what they feel within the laws of decency like everyone else.
    But some people on here are using the reaction on twitter as proof that Hibs are getting something wrong. The actual debate is about the club's social media interaction. The spangles on twitter have been referenced, but they're not the subjet.

I don’t do Twitter but wonder if this whole discussion might have been avoided if the original teaser tweet had said something like ‘Good news re sponsorship - details released at 2pm’
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I don’t do Twitter but wonder if this whole discussion might have been avoided if the original teaser tweet had said something like ‘Good news re sponsorship - details released at 2pm’
    Spot on.

Not a very subtle tease though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Not a very subtle tease though.
    JB’s right ....That’s the point though..it would have resulted in just a good news story..rather than some people feeling underwhelmed...not excusing the social media reaction - those are numpties..but it teased something exciting and understandable that some people were are bit nonplussed..

Left by mutual consent!
    Spot on.

Especially when Hibs opted not to have a sponsor for two seasons. How much did that cost the club?

@hibs.net private member
    Normally, when the club teases a signing you’ll get a 🖊 or 📝 along side whatever message they’ve written this wasn’t the case, a sponsorship announcement might not be the biggest news for us as fans but for the club it is and should be treated as such for the benefit of the company investing the money as well as the club.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    JB’s right ....That’s the point though..it would have resulted in just a good news story..rather than some people feeling underwhelmed...not excusing the social media reaction - those are numpties..but it teased something exciting and understandable that some people were are bit nonplussed..
    But it's a real shame. After the teaser was published yesterday morning there was some good craic on here on 2-3 different threads about what the news was going to be. All of it was good humoured and there was no hint that the announcement of a sponsor (which I think a couple of people suggested) was going to be a major let down. It's as if any trace of mystery or humour has to be removed from official tweets in case it offends the over sensitive haters.

Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the club tweets in the build up to the final - showing the players getting dolled up, arriving at Hampden, checking the pitch, etc.

I thought they were spot on.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    But some people on here are using the reaction on twitter as proof that Hibs are getting something wrong. The actual debate is about the club's social media interaction. The spangles on twitter have been referenced, but they're not the subjet.
    It’s a sign rather than proof that the club are getting something wrong. And not the first sign.
    Of course the people responding are part of the subject, several posts reference them including many of yours.
    Are you now dictating the thread course, to use your own sort of dialogue?

I’m off out now, talk soon.

@hibs.net private member

A section of fan base was probably a poor choice of word, il go with a shower of punters instead your probably closer to it than I was.

A shower of punters once stood and told everyone who would listen that HSL was a Ponzi scheme for STF and petrie to line their pockets it hampered the take up of HSL hugely so much so they failed in their target before STF sold up to Ron.
    We now have a shower of punters chucking abuse at Martin Boyle winning player of the year the week after a cup final we lost, a player judging by this season we’d be worse off if he decided to up and leave, these shower of punters could be the difference between Boyle staying with us to Jan for example or jumping at the first offer that comes, the manager wants to sign jackson Irvine there’s a shower of punters chucking abuse at him after he scored for Australia midweek again could be the difference between signing on and not.

What I’m trying to get at is the actions of a shower of punters on twitter could hamper the progress of the club and managers plans so should be worthy of lengthy debate on here IMO without threats of thread closures

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    So a debate over breakfast earlier, I usually prefer to have brown sauce with most cooked breakfasts, but if it is a bacon roll it has to be red sauce, agreed?
    Tomato sauce on a square sausage roll. Beans on a black pudding one. No sauce on a bacon roll. I'm glad that wasn't a tweet you sent or I'd have destroyed you with an offensive reply.

@hibs.net private member

Hibs Twitter

But it's a real shame. After the teaser was published yesterday morning there was some good craic on here on 2-3 different threads about what the news was going to be. All of it was good humoured and there was no hint that the announcement of a sponsor (which I think a couple of people suggested) was going to be a major let down. It's as if any trace of mystery or humour has to be removed from official tweets in case it offends the over sensitive haters.

Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the club tweets in the build up to the final - showing the players getting dolled up, arriving at Hampden, checking the pitch, etc.

I thought they were spot on.
    The reaction has been no doubt over the top, but The fact that so many were dissatisfied with it, shows they got it wrong on this occasion ...

Tbh. I can’t recall the social media pre the final - unfortunately the result will have put that into a zone that no one will care about ..

We’ve been largely excellent on social media for a good number of years .. we’ve obviously got a someone temporarily in while they fill the roles that are available ..and it shows..doesn’t have the smarts and connection with the fan base that we’ve traditionally had in recent seasons

It’s a sign rather than proof that the club are getting something wrong. And not the first sign.
    Of course the people responding are part of the subject, several posts reference them including many of yours.
    Are you now dictating the thread course, to use your own sort of dialogue?

I’m off out now, talk soon.
    Eh?

Look at the opening post. I'm not dictating anything and I've no idea what my sort of dialogue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Tomato sauce on a square sausage roll. Beans on a black pudding one. No sauce on a bacon roll. I'm glad that wasn't a tweet you sent or I'd have destroyed you with an offensive reply.
    F****** idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Without getting involved in this thread where the opinion is there for all to see.

Why the need to close so many threads when there is a healthy debate going on? It's almost as if certain opinions are being silenced now.
    What healthy threads have been closed? A thread is shut when there's a duplicate, it has descended into personal insults that can't be reasonably managed, or it has been taken way off topic - sometimes it's a combination of these things.

If you really think an eclectic mix of volunteers from a range of age groups, locations, and sociopolitical backgrounds are carrying some kind of unified agenda against certain viewpoints on a football forum, then I'm not sure what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    That’s up there with one of the worst things I’ve ever read on here

Eh?

Look at the opening post. I'm not dictating anything and I've no idea what my sort of dialogue is.
    Like most threads it digresses from the opening bloody post. Your “spangle” chaps might not be the subject title but they’re part of the debate why else would you need to call them so many nasty names?

Part of that you’re not understating? Again, asking in your own preferred style.

Like most threads it digresses from the opening bloody post. Your “spangle” chaps might not be the subject title but they’re part of the debate why else would you need to call them so many nasty names?

Part of that you’re not understating? Again, asking in your own preferred style.
    Hibs social media output might have been slightly better in the past, but it's nowhere near as bad as some are making out and it certainly doesn't merit the level of abuse that it gets in the replies. The nasty names are because, simply put, these people disgust me.

I'm flattered that you're so interested in my writing "style". In my defence, having lived in France for 17-18 years (almost a third of my life), English has become pretty much a second language for me and I've never been very good at switching quickly from one language to another - it's like turning a cruiseliner through 180°.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 05-06-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    A section of fan base was probably a poor choice of word, il go with a shower of punters instead your probably closer to it than I was.

A shower of punters once stood and told everyone who would listen that HSL was a Ponzi scheme for STF and petrie to line their pockets it hampered the take up of HSL hugely so much so they failed in their target before STF sold up to Ron.
    We now have a shower of punters chucking abuse at Martin Boyle winning player of the year the week after a cup final we lost, a player judging by this season we’d be worse off if he decided to up and leave, these shower of punters could be the difference between Boyle staying with us to Jan for example or jumping at the first offer that comes, the manager wants to sign jackson Irvine there’s a shower of punters chucking abuse at him after he scored for Australia midweek again could be the difference between signing on and not.

What I’m trying to get at is the actions of a shower of punters on twitter could hamper the progress of the club and managers plans so should be worthy of lengthy debate on here IMO without threats of thread closures
    A lot of those things you are citing also happened on here you know. Twitter doesn’t have exclusive rights to people that question Hibs, no matter the agenda.
    And if Hibs really didn’t want chat on Twitter good or bad then I don’t think Tweeting is the thing for them.

The nasty names are because, simply put, these people disgust me.

I'm flattered that you're so interested in my writing "style". In my defence, having lived in France for 17-18 years (almost a third of my life), English has become pretty much a second language for me and I've never been very good at switching quickly from one language to another - it's like turning a cruiseliner through 180°.
    Disgust. Jeez what hyperbole.

Disgust. Jeez what hyperbole.
    Simply the truth.

Simply the truth.
    Got you. I understand. You’re disgusted.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Normally, when the club teases a signing you’ll get a 🖊 or 📝 along side whatever message they’ve written this wasn’t the case, a sponsorship announcement might not be the biggest news for us as fans but for the club it is and should be treated as such for the benefit of the company investing the money as well as the club.
    Why not do tease tweets for the HSL donations then? They are important to club and the fans. HSL donations at their current level would amount to a reasonable six figure sum over 12 months.

Why not drum rolls and constant long drawn out reveals for ST renewal numbers? I mean our renewals will amount to more cash than this sponsorship deal.

Funny thing is I couldn't give a toss about our sponsor, even more so after the tweets. It shows the dark side to social media and marketing done on the platform. This was clearly a fishing exercise to increase interest in the eventual tweet. Like most social media attention, doesn't seem like it mattered whether it was good or bad attention.

The abusive tweets, the arguments on here show me that it probably wasn't worth it. Time will tell because covid obviously impacted club plans but, for me, club interaction with fans has gone backwards. All been about securing sponsors, which is clearly important but so are fans, especially when they've paid for STs but never been to ER. Involving said fans in fishing exercise to please new sponsor isn't great on early bird deadline day.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Why not do tease tweets for the HSL donations then? They are important to club and the fans. HSL donations at their current level would amount to a reasonable six figure sum over 12 months.

Why not drum rolls and constant long drawn out reveals for ST renewal numbers? I mean our renewals will amount to more cash than this sponsorship deal.

Funny thing is I couldn't give a toss about our sponsor, even more so after the tweets. It shows the dark side to social media and marketing done on the platform. This was clearly a fishing exercise to increase interest in the eventual tweet. Like most social media attention, doesn't seem like it mattered whether it was good or bad attention.

The abusive tweets, the arguments on here show me that it probably wasn't worth it. Time will tell because covid obviously impacted club plans but, for me, club interaction with fans has gone backwards. All been about securing sponsors, which is clearly important but so are fans, especially when they've paid for STs but never been to ER. Involving said fans in fishing exercise to please new sponsor isn't great on early bird deadline day.
    There not catering for you or me separately they are attempting to please a support base as a whole, you don’t care about sponsors I don’t particularly care about murder mystery nights but some people do.

HSL is a separate entity with a separate twitter account so hibs don’t do the teasing for them, they aren’t teasing the release of season tickets because what kind of a tease can they do when the object is to take your money....drum roll please we’ll be ready to take your cash at 2pm.. it’s silly

There was some supporters rightly or wrongly unhappy with what hibs done with the front of shirt space the last 2 seasons some had it down as a cover up because they couldn’t find a sponsor, some other fans would be unhappy if we had bookies or alcohol companies on our shirts the club has sorted all that and probably thought some people at least would be happy and the ones who don’t particularly care wouldn’t mind a little fan fare to introduce the company and maybe pat the guys involved on the back a little for securing some much needed cash I.e gregg mcewan who is quite happy with himself on twitter getting this over the line.

The club hasn’t done anything wrong here and is being battered unfairly.

There not catering for you or me separately they are attempting to please a support base as a whole, you don’t care about sponsors I don’t particularly care about murder mystery nights but some people do.

HSL is a separate entity with a separate twitter account so hibs don’t do the teasing for them, they aren’t teasing the release of season tickets because what kind of a tease can they do when the object is to take your money....drum roll please we’ll be ready to take your cash at 2pm.. it’s silly

There was some supporters rightly or wrongly unhappy with what hibs done with the front of shirt space the last 2 seasons some had it down as a cover up because they couldn’t find a sponsor, some other fans would be unhappy if we had bookies or alcohol companies on our shirts the club has sorted all that and probably thought some people at least would be happy and the ones who don’t particularly care wouldn’t mind a little fan fare to introduce the company and maybe pat the guys involved on the back a little for securing some much needed cash I.e gregg mcewan who is quite happy with himself on twitter getting this over the line.

Well said.

@hibs.net private member
    A lot of those things you are citing also happened on here you know. Twitter doesn’t have exclusive rights to people that question Hibs, no matter the agenda.
    And if Hibs really didn’t want chat on Twitter good or bad then I don’t think Tweeting is the thing for them.
    Boyle and Irvine aren’t directly tagged on hibs.net me slating Irvine a couple weeks ago for example he’d need to go looking for that in the case of the shower of punters there pinging phones whilst there sitting in the house

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

The object of this tweet was to promote sponsor who would like to take Hibs fans money...

Battered unfairly? Apart from the small scale abuse on twitter, where is this battering occurring?

Don't know the guy but ofcourse Greg McEwan would be patting himself on the back. He's interim CEO probably looking to secure the job and salary full time. Is he being battered online? Seen a lot of "well done" and "fantastic stuff".

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    The object of this tweet was to promote sponsor who would like to take Hibs fans money...

Battered unfairly? Apart from the small scale abuse on twitter, where is this battering occurring?

Don't know the guy but ofcourse Greg McEwan would be patting himself on the back. He's interim CEO probably looking to secure the job and salary full time. Is he being battered online? Seen a lot of "well done" and "fantastic stuff".
    I’m not saying he’s been battered I’ve said the club is, which it is, if you done something to benefit your company with 6 figure sums of money and they didn’t even mention it you’d be quite rightly furious eh? and by the way if ur happy with ur utilities supplier mate no one is twisting ur arm to change, they’ve paid hibs to advertise there company and that’s what they have began to do.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I’m not saying he’s been battered I’ve said the club is, which it is, if you done something to benefit your company with 6 figure sums of money and they didn’t even mention it you’d be quite rightly furious eh? and by the way if ur happy with ur utilities supplier mate no one is twisting ur arm to change, they’ve paid hibs to advertise there company and that’s what they have began to do.
    Where have club been battered? Abuse on twitter from very small number of fans? That happens almost for anything Hibs do as unfortunately, and fortunately, people are different and want different things. Nobody is condoning the abuse. I'm saying I think fishing to promote sponsor on early bird deadline day while we are still unsure whether we'll be back in stadiums is of poor taste.