hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

In season 2021/2022 what would disaster, average, excellence or glory look like?

Given the reaction to the Cup Final and the debate about Jack Ross I'm wondering what people feel the scenarios of disaster, average, excellence or glory would look like next season?

Perhaps something like:

Disaster:
    Failure in Europe
    Losing to Hearts
    Playing 'meh' football
    Bottom six form

Ross is out early in the season

Average:
    Honourable failure in Europe (play well but don't make group)
    Honours shared with Hearts
    Entertaining football but inconsistent form
    Top 6 form but heading outside of top 4

Ross stays but support still split

Excellent:
    European group stage qualification
    Dominating Hearts
    Return to high tempo attacking football
    Strong challenge for top 4

Support want Ron to give Ross bigger budget

Glory:
    Competitive in European group stage and domestic cup win
    Win all or most derbies
    Goals aplenty, unearth new exciting prospects and fortress Easter Road
    Top 3 finish

Ron can write his own contract

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    We finished 3rd this year, so that should be the target. 4th wouldn’t be the end of the world. 5th or 6th would be poor.

The absolute least we should expect next season is top 5 and at least a semi.

I think 3rd again and at 2 semi finals would be a successful season. Realistically 3rd is the best we can get barring a miracle and getting to a semi final puts you at 3rd/4th in the tournament. At the moment results come before performance for me as I'd like us to consistently finish at least 4th then we can work on our style of play from there

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Should definitely be aiming for third again, fourth at the very least seeing as Hearts are rank and Aberdeen seem to have a rebuild on their hands. Can't see anyone else having the consistency to push for top four.

Most important thing for me is the style of football we play next year. Has to improve, especially with fans getting back.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the reaction to the Cup Final and the debate about Jack Ross I'm wondering what people feel the scenarios of disaster, average, excellence or glory would look like next season?

Perhaps something like:

Disaster:
    Failure in Europe
    Losing to Hearts
    Playing 'meh' football
    Bottom six form

Ross is out early in the season

Average:
    Honourable failure in Europe (play well but don't make group)
    Honours shared with Hearts
    Entertaining football but inconsistent form
    Top 6 form but heading outside of top 4

Ross stays but support still split

Excellent:
    European group stage qualification
    Dominating Hearts
    Return to high tempo attacking football
    Strong challenge for top 4

Support want Ron to give Ross bigger budget

Glory:
    Competitive in European group stage and domestic cup win
    Win all or most derbies
    Goals aplenty, unearth new exciting prospects and fortress Easter Road
    Top 3 finish

Ron can write his own contract
    Apparently targets and expectations are determined once the season has finished not at the start.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Derbies are vital for Ross next year. He is already on dodgy ground in that respect, failure in them will truly have the knives out.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 25-05-2021 at 09:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Disaster would be finishing behind the maroon relegation fodder and getting beat by them a few times. Finishing out of the top 4, papped out of Europe with a whimper and getting nowhere in the cups

I could see the return of the derby far enough to be honest. I haven't missed it one bit and even when we're winning them I hate all the baggage that goes with the fixture. However, there's not much I can do about that so what I would say is that it's imperative that we show we're up for those particular battles.

Top four in the league should most certainly be the target.

The cups? If we continue to reach the latter stages under Ross we're going to have to show we have more fire in our bellies. Nobody's going to fault him if we can see the team has given it their all.

Europe? Not expecting much there but a couple of ties where we peform creditably would be fine by me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Establish third place, minimum semi finals in the cups.

Qualification for group stages of Europe would be a bonus.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Establish third place, minimum semi finals in the cups.

Qualification for group stages of Europe would be a bonus.
    Wait, which category are you describing?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Wait, which category are you describing?
    I’m leaving it vague so i can fit it to suit whatever point I’m trying to make this time next year.

Ultimately, Aberdeen will still be, at best, in transition, assuming things don’t continue to be a bit of a mess under Glass and the incoming Brown. Hearts will presumably spend big again, not sure they’ll be all that great. St Johnstone could be good if they can keep their squad together.

Beyond that, everyone else looks no great shakes.

Therefore, third needs to be the expectation again.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Europe through our league position, and a good run in both cups.

The usual really.

Top 4. Semi in at least one cup. next round in Europe

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It's very hard to define when you look across all 4 platforms we'll compete in I think. 20/21 on paper would have been good but ultimately felt a little disappointing at the end due to the missed opportunities.

No idea how many of our key players we'll still have going into the season but I imagine we'll be going in with a budget that's 5th biggest in the league - higher than 5th and we've done well.

Cups throw a spanner in the works though, avoid relegation and win a cup? That's good too.

Realistically for Europe we're probably looking at falling at the last or penultimate hurdle before group stages - preferably to a team that we'd expect to beat us rather than to an "upset".
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The league will be harder for us next year. The mere inclusion of Hearts, whether they are pish or not, will add to the challenge for us to maintain our third place.

Everyone is in transition, including Hibs. We might well lose half our regular starting line up. Who can really say how replacing them will go?

For me the target should be third place in the League and decent runs in the cup.

Qualifying that decent runs in the cup part , depends on what happens in the respective tournaments. If we reach semi finals/finals and play a lower league side or one that sits well below below us in the League, I would hope we win. If we play one of the Old Firm, those expectations are naturally curbed.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 27-05-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I could see the return of the derby far enough to be honest. I haven't missed it one bit and even when we're winning them I hate all the baggage that goes with the fixture. However, there's not much I can do about that so what I would say is that it's imperative that we show we're up for those particular battles.

Top four in the league should most certainly be the target.

The cups? If we continue to reach the latter stages under Ross we're going to have to show we have more fire in our bellies. Nobody's going to fault him if we can see the team has given it their all.

Europe? Not expecting much there but a couple of ties where we peform creditably would be fine by me.
    I'd taking winning the derbies over league position ( barring relegation ) how you can dismiss the biggest games in our season is baffling.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    The league will be harder for us next year. The mere inclusion of Hearts, whether they are pish or not, will add to the challenge for us to maintain our third place.

Everyone is in transition, including Hibs. We might well lose half our regular starting line up. Who can really predict say how replacing them will go?

For me the target should be third place in the League and decent runs in the cup.

Qualifying that decent runs in the cup part , depends on what happens in the respective tournaments. If we reach semi finals/finals and play a lower league side or one that sits well below below us in the League, I would hope we win. If we play one of the Old Firm, those expectations are naturally curbed.
    This.

Throw in Europe and getting as far as possible without being put out by some absolute diddies.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It's very hard to define when you look across all 4 platforms we'll compete in I think. 20/21 on paper would have been good but ultimately felt a little disappointing at the end due to the missed opportunities.

No idea how many of our key players we'll still have going into the season but I imagine we'll be going in with a budget that's 5th biggest in the league - higher than 5th and we've done well.

Cups throw a spanner in the works though, avoid relegation and win a cup? That's good too.

Realistically for Europe we're probably looking at falling at the last or penultimate hurdle before group stages - preferably to a team that we'd expect to beat us rather than to an "upset".
    I’m sure Budge said recently that Hearts will have to massively reign in their spending. Whether that happens remains to be seen but I’m not sure our budget will be lower than theirs.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m sure Budge said recently that Hearts will have to massively reign in their spending. Whether that happens remains to be seen but I’m not sure our budget will be lower than theirs.
    Possibly, I'll work on the assumption that they won't though. They'll find a benefactor or 2 to plug the gaps and throw money at players to try to top us now that they're back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    I'd taking winning the derbies over league position ( barring relegation ) how you can dismiss the biggest games in our season is baffling.
    I understand the point because there's not much sweeter than a derby win, but don't think that would be a long term view of mine.

Lose derbies and finish 3rd Vs win derbies and finish 7th? I'd probably take the former.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Possibly, I'll work on the assumption that they won't though. They'll find a benefactor or 2 to plug the gaps and throw money at players to try to top us now that they're back.

I understand the point because there's not much sweeter than a derby win, but don't think that would be a long term view of mine.

Lose derbies and finish 3rd Vs win derbies and finish 7th? I'd probably take the former.

Given the 12 points at stake over the course of a season whilst playing Hearts and the possibility that they will be competing within the top six, coming out with at least six points from those games will probably go hand in hand with aspirations to finish third.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Disaster: Anything not listed below
    Bare minimum: 5th place, at least one semi final, equal record against Hearts
    Good: 4th place, at least semi final in both cups (and no defeats in the cup to a team other than the OF/Aberdeen/Hearts), winning record against Hearts
    Great: 3rd place, at least one final (and no defeats in the cup to a team other than the OF/Aberdeen/Hearts), unbeaten against Hearts

@hibs.net private member
    Why is reaching the semi finals of a cup a target for some people? In a cup competition, the target should be to win them. We had what some would call "a good run in the cups" this season, but it wasn't a success at all? It was a disgrace what Hibs produced at Hampden.

Top 4 and winning a cup would be great.
    Top 4 and no cup is what we should at LEAST expect (although Ross should be going all out in the cups to make up for this season)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Why is reaching the semi finals of a cup a target for some people? In a cup competition, the target should be to win them. We had what some would call "a good run in the cups" this season, but it wasn't a success at all? It was a disgrace what Hibs produced at Hampden.

Top 4 and no cup is what we should at LEAST expect (although Ross should be going all out in the cups to make up for this season)
    It’s something tangible I suppose but it’s a fair point.

Left by mutual consent!
    Top 4 and Winning a Cup

Left by mutual consent!

We are at Hampden virtually every season now.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar

I think setting targets for cup competitions is a bit iffy to be honest. We could be drawn against Celtic in R4, Rangers in R5 or we could be drawn against teams like e.g. Brora in R4 and Alloa in R5. We could theoretically win the thing never playing a Premiership team, or we could get pumped out at first time of asking by an Old Firm team at the top of their game.

The League remains the best way of showing where we are at. Like it or not, luck has a big bearing on how we do in the cups.

I'd be disappointed if we're not at the very least challenging for 3rd place again. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't finish 3rd, there's nobody good enough or consistent enough by this years' showings to trouble us greatly.

Europe: If we get a tie against someone decent and are allowed some fans in the stadium, I think that's success enough for me. I don't expect us to get to the group stages of EL or ECL, to do so would be a major achievement now.

As for the cups? A bonus. Replicating this season's record of 2 x semi finals and a final would be quite an achievement!!

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    3rd would be great & keep knocking at the door with the cups. In Europe give a good display of ourselves, really depends on the draw for that. If we can continue to do as planned improving the squad Ive no reason to think we will have another successful season.

Folk keep mentioning Hearts coming up...So what? I think they will do well do make top 6.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Think you need to think about the difference between a minimum target and a stretch target/target.

Hibs will aim for minimum semi-final but that doesn’t change the fact that the target is to win the competition.

Only one team per competition can win it, appreciating that there’s significantly more chance of not winning it than winning it, giving yourself a minimum expectation keeps the goal achievable and realistic.

We want to win the league at the start of the season, but you know that’s unlikely so you set a minimum that would be considered acceptable.

Otherwise we’d be raging that we haven’t won the league, Europa Conference, Scottish Cup, League Cup etc.

The targets need to be grounded in some form of reality, it’s not saying “let’s consider it job done if we reach the semi”, but it’s saying we would expect to get at least that far.

I'm about to move up north, so I'd like 2x wins at Ross County to be a kpi, please.