hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Scholes

Paul Scholes

Whilst Paul Scholes was a great footballer, he really is one of the poorest 'expert' summarisers on TV. I found it embarrassing listening to him last night.

Paul Scholes was of the belief his old side would have a relatively comfortable evening against a side he deemed vastly inferior. "You're playing Villarreal here. You're playing a team that finished 7th in a really poor La Liga. Think of Real Madrid and Barcelona, how bad have they been? Manchester United should win this game comfortably."

No attempt to assess the strength of the opposition being their collective team spirt and organisation. Just Manchester United are the better team and should win comfortably.

Scholes’ next pre-match forecast involved Tottenham loanee Juan Foyth. He said: “Foyth was a bad centre-back at Tottenham, now he’s playing right back, how can Rashford not destroy him?!” However, at the end of the match, which player was bouncing around with tears of joy and who was sitting in the dugout just with tears?

At half time, with Manchester United one down, he said "I'm still confident. They've been in this position a lot of times this season. I think if they're patient, they'll open this team up. They'll get one goal and two or three will come." That worked out well Paul.

He really has not clue at all. It's not just last night as I recall after a Liverpool match in which Robbo was the Man of the Match he was asked "Is Robertson the best Scottish left back around?", to which his reply was (insert laugh) "He's the only decent Scottish left back though", clearly ignoring Tierney.

The guy is an embarrassment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Been a while since I've watched any pre or post match because of things like this. Standard is awful.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst Paul Scholes was a great footballer, he really is one of the poorest 'expert' summarisers on TV. I found it embarrassing listening to him last night.

Paul Scholes was of the belief his old side would have a relatively comfortable evening against a side he deemed vastly inferior. "You're playing Villarreal here. You're playing a team that finished 7th in a really poor La Liga. Think of Real Madrid and Barcelona, how bad have they been? Manchester United should win this game comfortably."

No attempt to assess the strength of the opposition being their collective team spirt and organisation. Just Manchester United are the better team and should win comfortably.

Scholes’ next pre-match forecast involved Tottenham loanee Juan Foyth. He said: “Foyth was a bad centre-back at Tottenham, now he’s playing right back, how can Rashford not destroy him?!” However, at the end of the match, which player was bouncing around with tears of joy and who was sitting in the dugout just with tears?

At half time, with Manchester United one down, he said "I'm still confident. They've been in this position a lot of times this season. I think if they're patient, they'll open this team up. They'll get one goal and two or three will come." That worked out well Paul.

He really has not clue at all. It's not just last night as I recall after a Liverpool match in which Robbo was the Man of the Match he was asked "Is Robertson the best Scottish left back around?", to which his reply was (insert laugh) "He's the only decent Scottish left back though", clearly ignoring Tierney.

Agree gives the mpression of not really having a clue and not really done any analysis into the opposition. Hate it when they have such a biased panel three ex Man U players. He came over very arrogant completely ignoring Sevilla had well beaten United the year before and also Emerys record in the tournament. Villarreal were always going to be stuffy opponents for United and at no point was it ever going to be an easy game despite what BT sport were trying to tell us prior to the match.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Been a while since I've watched any pre or post match because of things like this. Standard is awful.
    Watched the game in Portugal, was refreshing to go to a huge ad break at halftime with no expert summary then the second half kicked off!

Also I am convinced the commentator thought the Man Utd right back is called Juan Basaka 🤣

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Eveeything he said is true though

Man utd (or any team that's 2nd in the EPL) should be easily seeing of a team who's near enough mid table in Spain

Its beautiful when there arrogance comes back and bites them though
    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I don't see what he did wrong. He was asked to give a prediction and made the same prediction as most people. I also expected United to win comfortably, and, looking at that Villarreal team last night, they should have. No excuses, United blew it/bottled it, whichever you prefer. Villarreal were playing with everyone behind the ball from the moment they scored, and their strategy worked, so well done to them. United should have thrown the kitchen sink at them and then they would have won, but, for whatever reason, they didn't. The manager and players have some soul searching to do.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 27-05-2021 at 07:44 AM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

The English have always had this attitude, not just in footballing terms. When i was younger it used to really grate on me, I find it mildly amusing now and even sweeter when it invariably bites them on their arse

To be fair he is correct. Manchester United should be beating the team who finished 7th in La Liga.

He’s a fan with a microphone first and foremost. You could substitute Hibs/St J with Man U/Villareal and his comments would have fitted in here really well over the past wee while.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    To be fair he is correct. Manchester United should be beating the team who finished 7th in La Liga.
    exactly. Don’t really see any problem with his comments tbh

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Every one of his quotes you used is true though, they should have beaten them comfortably and Rashford should have made more of the opportunity, it’s not his fault Rashford decided to have one of his off days.

I’d have been delighted to have someone as passionate and loyal to his club as Scholes presenting on Hibs tv this season.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He’s a fan with a microphone first and foremost. You could substitute Hibs/St J with Man U/Villareal and his comments would have fitted in here really well over the past wee while.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    Every one of his quotes you used is true though, they should have beaten them comfortably and Rashford should have made more of the opportunity, it’s not his fault Rashford decided to have one of his off days.

I’d have been delighted to have someone as passionate and loyal to his club as Scholes presenting on Hibs tv this season.
    To be honest, that's where I differ. If I wanted to hear such views I would have gone onto MUTV (or whatever its called).

However, this is on national TV and you would expect the pundits they put in front of the screen to be balanced and fair with their comments. Yes, Man United were clear favourites, but Villarreal didn't get to final by luck. They earned it through good play and hard work, beating an Arsenal team on the way.

When he came out with the "just be patient" at half-time, I thought "you really don't have a clue". Even the guy with Darren Fletcher (can remember his name" said "I don't agree with Scholes, MU need to up the tempo".

Passionate! You're joking! Don't think Keane would have been saying "just be patient". Clueless is more apt.

First Team Breakthrough
    My problem was that he didn't seem to understand how Villarreal play. Once Man Utd scored Villarreal put the high press on the defence and Utd could hardly get the ball out of their half - they did this partly by bringing on fresh legs. By the end of the game, and the whole of extra time, I thought Villarreal looked the more likely to win. And it was clear that David de Gea didn't look like saving, let alone scoring, a penalty.

Left by mutual consent!

Agreed. His comments about La Liga and Juan Foyth were very poor. Proper banter moment seeing Foyth with the headband and trophy afterwards.

It was an almost unwatchable Man Utd bias last night. Why not just cover it as the occasion of a European Final. Robbie Savage was poor in commentary too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post

Disagree. It was a total lack of respect on BT last night.

To be honest, that's where I differ. If I wanted to hear such views I would have gone onto MUTV (or whatever its called).

However, this is on national TV and you would expect the pundits they put in front of the screen to be balanced and fair with their comments. Yes, Man United were clear favourites, but Villarreal didn't get to final by luck. They earned it through good play and hard work, beating an Arsenal team on the way.

When he came out with the "just be patient" at half-time, I thought "you really don't have a clue". Even the guy with Darren Fletcher (can remember his name" said "I don't agree with Scholes, MU need to up the tempo".

Passionate! You're joking! Don't think Keane would have been saying "just be patient". Clueless is more apt.
    You don't differ from me, I was agreeing with you. I thought BT tried to turn themselves into MUTV.

The Premier League arrogance was off the scale last night. Only caught the latter part of the game, but even that was enough.

Despite holding affection for them when I was younger, I'm glad United lost.

I think congratulations are due to Manchester United for doing the treble this season.

They are only team to be knocked out of the Champions league , Europa League and European Super League all in the same season 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Eveeything he said is true though

Man utd (or any team that's 2nd in the EPL) should be easily seeing of a team who's near enough mid table in Spain

Its beautiful when there arrogance comes back and bites them though
    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Especially when "pundits" don't realise Villarreal may have a few € to spend as they are owned by a billionaire.
    Last edited by Is It On....; 27-05-2021 at 11:15 AM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think Scholes is a poor pundit and hired simply because of who he is and the career he had rather than any tactical in-site he brings. Unlike Ferdinand, who I enjoy watching his defensive analysis.

It’s the same when you watch Rangers or Celtic in Europe on TV, just bias nonsense. Would much rather listen to commentary with a more neutral opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    It’s the same when you watch Rangers or Celtic in Europe on TV, just bias nonsense. Would much rather listen to commentary with a more neutral opinion.
    I would rather have no commentary at all.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    And failed. Marvellous

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I would rather have no commentary at all.
    This. There are times when watching a game on mute can be quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Numptie View Post
    My problem was that he didn't seem to understand how Villarreal play. Once Man Utd scored Villarreal put the high press on the defence and Utd could hardly get the ball out of their half - they did this partly by bringing on fresh legs. By the end of the game, and the whole of extra time, I thought Villarreal looked the more likely to win. And it was clear that David de Gea didn't look like saving, let alone scoring, a penalty.
    De Gea was rank rotten during the penalties, I honestly couldn't understand why his attempted saves were so half arsed....

Difficult for me, I've never been a Man Utd fan but I remember watching Villareal 2 or three seasons ago when I'm sure they played The Rangers and really didn't rate them much at all, in fact they had an awful home record that season and narrowly avoided relegation. I backed them quite a few times, thinking that they'd improve, but they were rotten virtually the whole season apart from near the end when they avoided relegation. Think it was them anyway. I don't think there's anything arrogant about Man Utd expecting to beat a team like that but they didn't, end of.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Difficult for me, I've never been a Man Utd fan but I remember watching Villareal 2 or three seasons ago when I'm sure they played The Rangers and really didn't rate them much at all, in fact they had an awful home record that season and narrowly avoided relegation. I backed them quite a few times, thinking that they'd improve, but they were rotten virtually the whole season apart from near the end when they avoided relegation. Think it was them anyway. I don't think there's anything arrogant about Man Utd expecting to beat a team like that but they didn't, end of.

It's just like Hibs having a cup tie against a club with a much smaller budget and lesser players. We would expect to beat them, which isn't arrogance. United blew it; it happens in cup football.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

A plan, committed players, nullifying the best opposition players, villareal done a job on man utd.

Main difference for me was the managers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...omes-bite.html

Looks like being a **** pundit has really got to Paul

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...omes-bite.html

Looks like being a **** pundit has really got to Paul
    Pathetic reaction to a bit of criticism, didn’t think he’d be so thin skinned.