hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Irvine

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Always reminds me of the Rugby boy at school joining in with the fitba

Fit as a butchers dug, runs around a lot, no got a clue what he is doing, two left feet and largely anonymous

If he stays fair enough he may benefit from a preseason if he goes I would like to think we could do better for the same dough

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    i'm a bit 'meh ' The fact i could't give a toss if he left leaves me neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always reminds me of the Rugby boy at school joining in with the fitba

Fit as a butchers dug, runs around a lot, no got a clue what he is doing, two left feet and largely anonymous

If he stays fair enough he may benefit from a preseason if he goes I would like to think we could do better for the same dough
    I’m not sure I’ve been watching the same games as you for the last 4 months? This place is mental sometimes

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    I’m not sure I’ve been watching the same games as you for the last 4 months? This place is mental sometimes
    Just my opinion

I have not seen anything different to persuade me otherwise

Sometimes I have to remind myself he is playing

Needs to show more composure and quality on the ball and seriously work on his final ball and finishing

Which is why most people are meh if he stays or goes

There is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-05-2021 at 10:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    We ended up signing the 2, what we expected to be, ball winning/box to box centre midfielders we’d been crying out for in Irvine and Magennis. Both have disappointed in my view, willing to give them both a pre-season before I pass judgment but if the intention is to play them in the same position they’ve been deployed thus far why bother keeping either of them.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    We ended up signing the 2, what we expected to be, ball winning/box to box centre midfielders we’d been crying out for in Irvine and Magennis. Both have disappointed in my view, willing to give them both a pre-season before I pass judgment but if the intention is to play them in the same position they’ve been deployed thus far why bother keeping either of them.
    Magennis has four years left on a five year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Magennis was also just coming back from a serious long term injury. And hit by Covid after he joined us. He’ll benefit massively from a full pre-season and should be a big player for us next season. Folk seem to write him off before considering what the boy’s been through.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes, and I’m sure he’ll not be wanting to be hanging about that long if he’s coming off the bench to play wide left.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Yes, and I’m sure he’ll not be wanting to be hanging about that long if he’s coming off the bench to play wide left.
    We did have a wide left player signed, but he kept getting injured. We went with a small squad to maximise the quality, but we did have to play players wide left and it did them no favours, but in the grand scheme it worked out.

We now have brought someone else in who can play left side midfield, and we are building again from a stronger base, unless we get rid of them all as some are suggesting?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I thought that had been Doig's role this season. How wide is wide left in a three man central midfield (assuming three central defenders and a five man midfield).

i tried to spark a conversation about modern tactics and formations on a thread earlier, no one interested really (story of my life)

Coaching Staff
    I'm in-between with Jackson Irvine, I see a good footballer but played the wrong way with Hibs. The footage I've seen him at his best is playing a little deeper in midfield and driving forward centrally, very athletic, however he's been played in a more left sided role at Hibs. Didn't impose himself in the big games for me, looked better against weaker teams. Would I be pushing to make him the highest earner which he would be - no. Would I like to see him next to more creative players in midfield, yes.

I'm perhaps basing it on the important games where for me he's been posted missing.

I thought that had been Doig's role this season. How wide is wide left in a three man central midfield (assuming three central defenders and a five man midfield).

i tried to spark a conversation about modern tactics and formations on a thread earlier, no one interested really (story of my life)
    Fine asking Doig to provide the width when we play a back three but we regularly played with back and midfield fours, including last week. At times, it’s meant having someone like Irvine out of position.

I don’t think we’ve done anything that is particularly modern tactic wise. That’s not a criticism to be fair, I just think football is rarely as complicated as it’s made out to be in an age where every last detail is analysed to death. I know you have the Pep’s of this world playing with false nines and whatever, but I think it’s a lot more straightforward than that for us with the players at our level.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Magennis was also just coming back from a serious long term injury. And hit by Covid after he joined us. He’ll benefit massively from a full pre-season and should be a big player for us next season. Folk seem to write him off before considering what the boy’s been through.
    That's a good point, obviously it's the midfield that has to be re-built, to kick on next season and Magennis is kind of the forgotten man.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'm in-between with Jackson Irvine, I see a good footballer but played the wrong way with Hibs. The footage I've seen him at his best is playing a little deeper in midfield and driving forward centrally, very athletic, however he's been played in a more left sided role at Hibs. Didn't impose himself in the big games for me, looked better against weaker teams. Would I be pushing to make him the highest earner which he would be - no. Would I like to see him next to more creative players in midfield, yes.

I'm perhaps basing it on the important games where for me he's been posted missing.
    Understand what you are saying however I would like him to stay as think he will be much better Actually thought two of his better games were the United semi final and Aberdeen away.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post

Which comes back to a point I've raised a few times.

There's been a lot of debate about our best midfield, but nobody mentioned playing either Irvine or Gogic, which for me is the decision that should have been made when everyone was available.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Which comes back to a point I've raised a few times.

There's been a lot of debate about our best midfield, but nobody mentioned playing either Irvine or Gogic, which for me is the decision that should have been made when everyone was available.
    I thought it has been discussed quite a lot. Our best midfield performance of the season, IMO, was the win against Aberdeen at home. With Gogic, Irvine & Murphy. Those 3 gave us the best balance and the closest 3 to replicating the McGeough, McGinn, Allan axis in terms of 3 distinct roles that compliment each other.

Newell is the odd one out IMO. He doesn’t particularly fit alongside either Gogic or Irvine, and when he does the midfield is less than the sum of its parts, but Irvine & Gogic can fit together.

I wonder if Ross views Newell in terms of his stats, I’m sure it’s often pointed to that Newell has the most tackles and interceptions in our team. That’s difficult to argue against, but the less scientific, more visual indication is that our midfield is better without Newell IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I thought it has been discussed quite a lot. Our best midfield performance of the season, IMO, was the win against Aberdeen at home. With Gogic, Irvine & Murphy. Those 3 gave us the best balance and the closest 3 to replicating the McGeough, McGinn, Allan axis in terms of 3 distinct roles that compliment each other.

Newell is the odd one out IMO. He doesn’t particularly fit alongside either Gogic or Irvine, and when he does the midfield is less than the sum of its parts, but Irvine & Gogic can fit together.

I wonder if Ross views Newell in terms of his stats, I’m sure it’s often pointed to that Newell has the most tackles and interceptions in our team. That’s difficult to argue against, but the less scientific, more visual indication is that our midfield is better without Newell IMO.
    Well said. I completely agree.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Irvine & Gogic might be able to play together but I don't think we need them both at the same time.

I'd have went with one of the two + Newell + Murphy.

(but I'm no expert either)

I’d argue our best performances have been with Hallberg and Newell in the middle of the park. Hamilton and Motherwell away, along with the semi final. Whether you want to add a third or go with those two, it should be them as first choices based on performances.

Agree with this.

First Team Breakthrough
    might want to be having a look at kenny dougall of blackpool two gals today jackson maybe in the know with this fellow.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    might want to be having a look at kenny dougall of blackpool two gals today jackson maybe in the know with this fellow.
    Ally Brazil scored a hat trick against Celtic, just saying likes 😂

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Ally Brazil scored a hat trick against Celtic, just saying likes 😂
    Kenny is a Brisbane lad, came through the Roars youth system and then moved to Holland I think Blackpool picked him up from Barnsley. He'll be playing in the Championship next season makes his wage demands difficult for us.

First Team Breakthrough
    IMO if Irvine stays,it’s because he’s not got a better offer from elsewhere.
    Is this a good enough reason for him staying open to question.
    On the home website current first team squad midfielders are listed as :-
    Steven Bradley,Fraser Murray,Jackson Irvine,Martin Boyle,Kyle Magennis,Alex Gogic,Stevie Mallan,
    Scott Allan,Drey Wright,Jamie Murphy,Stephen McGinn,Daniel Mackay.
    Add to that Chris Cadden who’s listed as a defender but played in midfield.
    Also development squad players coming back of loan such as Josh Campbell.
    WHO STAYS,WHO GOES ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Is this a good enough reason for him staying open to question.
    On the home website current first team squad midfielders are listed as :-
    Steven Bradley,Fraser Murray,Jackson Irvine,Martin Boyle,Kyle Magennis,Alex Gogic,Stevie Mallan,
    Scott Allan,Drey Wright,Jamie Murphy,Stephen McGinn,Daniel Mackay.
    Add to that Chris Cadden who’s listed as a defender but played in midfield.
    Also development squad players coming back of loan such as Josh Campbell.
    WHO STAYS,WHO GOES ?
    Seemed to have missed out Joe Newell and Merkel Hallbetg.So add them to the pot

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Isn't that the case with every player, apart from Hanlon and Stevenson?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Personally speaking can take Irvine or leave him. Was excited when he signed but have to admit been slightly disappointed with him to be honest. Doesnt help that he and Newall dont seem to be able to play together. Both decent players but just a bad fit together. European football will hopefully attract new players.

@hibs.net private member
    I do not think we will see him back at Hibs.
    He has played in 2 of the 3 Australia WC qualifiers in Kuwait so far, and though the opposition has been poor, he has played well, and I doubt that this will go unnoticed by teams with more money in the kitty than us.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    I do not think we will see him back at Hibs.
    He has played in 2 of the 3 Australia WC qualifiers in Kuwait so far, and though the opposition has been poor, he has played well, and I doubt that this will go unnoticed by teams with more money in the kitty than us.
    Agreed. I think he's gone into these games knowing it might create a new opportunity for him, with our contract offer available as a fall back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    Agreed. I think he's gone into these games knowing it might create a new opportunity for him, with our contract offer available as a fall back.
    I think most folk realised that, when he signed for us, it was probably stop-gap and a stepping stone for him. Without standing out, he became popular with a lot of us as a good squad member and he himself said all the right things, giving the impression that he was enjoying his time at ER. It’s fairly clear now that he is looking for the best deal he can get so we would be wise to assume he is gone and to concentrate on finding a good replacement. I’m confident that among all the Euro fever, JR and Mathie will be doing their homework and not sitting on the end of the phone in anticipation of Irvine’s call.