hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackson Irvine

Jackson Irvine

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere but what’s the general feeling about him staying/leaving.

I feel as if I’d be happy if he stayed but wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. He’s been okay for us but not a lot else. I was extremely disappointed with him in the final (not the only player) but I feel he’s been a bit of a let down and I’d rather see a player who is contributing a bit more going forward. I like him but I would rather see his considerable wages go to someone who’s going to pick up 5/10 goals a year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LNHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies if this was posted elsewhere but what’s the general feeling about him staying/leaving.

I feel as if I’d be happy if he stayed but wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. He’s been okay for us but not a lot else. I was extremely disappointed with him in the final (not the only player) but I feel he’s been a bit of a let down and I’d rather see a player who is contributing a bit more going forward. I like him but I would rather see his considerable wages go to someone who’s going to pick up 5/10 goals a year.
    I’d like him to stay and think he could be a big player next season after a pre season. However I think he’s part of a wider issue. There’s no point in bringing him back if Ross is going to have his favourites like Newell. I think we either need to decide if we want a midfield with Newell and build it to compliment him. Or accept Newell is a quality player but it’s difficult to fit him into a balanced and functioning midfield and go with Gogic, Irvine and another to compliment them.

Either way I hope Ross stops with just two central midfielders next season. We can’t afford the quality needed from those two midfielders to make it really work IMO.

Blog Entries
    On balance I would like him to stay, but, and I might be wrong here, I get the impression that his recent tweet was an apology for the players letting us down and a fond farewell as he will be off to pastures new.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I was enthusiastic about him after his first match - he was pretty impressive given the amount of time he'd gone without a game. However for me he hasn't shown enough since then to merit breaking the bank to keep him.

If he was to stay on a wage/deal that Hibs think is reasonable then I'll be happy enough. If he moves on because we won't meet his demands then so be it.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 26-05-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’d like him to stay and think he could be a big player next season after a pre season. However I think he’s part of a wider issue. There’s no point in bringing him back if Ross is going to have his favourites like Newell. I think we either need to decide if we want a midfield with Newell and build it to compliment him. Or accept Newell is a quality player but it’s difficult to fit him into a balanced and functioning midfield and go with Gogic, Irvine and another to compliment them.

Either way I hope Ross stops with just two central midfielders next season. We can’t afford the quality needed from those two midfielders to make it really work IMO.
    Think you’re bang on here. I felt in the final he was almost like a left midfield which is a total waste an probably why his numbers hasn’t been all that great. Watching us at times this year it seems like he’s trying to fit a formation around the players than the other way about. If he stays I’d want us to play him Gogic and Newell in a midfield 3 and have wide players playing out wide.

Like many I was delighted we signed him as I felt he was the missing piece in our midfield puzzle so to speak. Then after what was a really good start he just seemed to go a bit flat and would routinely go large spells of matches without really imposing himself I felt.

Ultimately if we do keep him I think there's a player in there to build a successful team with for sure, but on the other hand if he's wanting stupid money then I'm not sure I feel like we need a man of his traits badly enough to break the bank.

I'm indifferent about him. From what I've seen he's a decent player, nothing more.
    I think he'd be easy enough to replace and I'd prefer to have someone in his position who occasionally chipped in with a few goals.
    If he stays then fine and if he goes then also fine.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    A bit torn on him. Like others are saying he was good when he came in but regressed a bit. Really poor in front of goal as well surprisingly because I’m sure he scored a few goals at Hull

You just know that if he joins Aberdeen he’d have an absolute stormer next season

I rate him and 100% would keep him. Off to the sheep in the summer though.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I'm indifferent. He's not offered enough for me to back him being a high end earner. I hope Kyle Magennis can step up to the plate and we use the money elsewhere to strengthen the side.

Left by mutual consent!
    Similar to Jack Ross I suppose, not bothered either way.

After the first few games I thought he would have had more of an impact at the business end of the season. What a chance he had on Saturday to really make a name for himself.

If we sign him I'll get behind him but would prefer it's a deal that's best for Hibs.

Apparently Aberdeen want him, so he can't be up to much

He's no better than OK, doesn't control games, disappears for long spells, doesn't score goals can produce the goods but doesn't do it often enough. Would not push the boat out for him as there are plenty of the same standard players floating around Scotland.
    Last edited by Onion; 26-05-2021 at 04:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Hope he stays however fair to say some of his performances not the best though though the was excellent at Aberdeen

Interested to see how he performed if Hibs adopted a rigid 3-5-2 as opposed to the hybrid/flexible formation we use at the moment.

Also, JR has made it no secret he expects KM to be the main man next season..

I'd like him to stay. Get a full pre-season under his belt and see how he goes.

He's a good player who has often been played wide left. Play him in the middle and you'll see the best of him.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post

He's a good player who has often been played wide left. Play him in the middle and you'll see the best of him.
    Aye think that’s important, unfair to judge players when they’re out of position. Why he’s been stuck out on the left I’ll never know.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post

Would agree with this. He definitely seems a good player but i think there is more to come with him and he seems like a good personality in the dressing room. I’d like to see to stay, but we certainly need to strengthen the midfield around him.

Let him go to Aberdeen . Absolute ***** bag .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Hope he stays however fair to say some of his performances not the best though though the was excellent at Aberdeen
    Is it any surprise that his best performance was against the team who want him and where he is likely to end up?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    It’s a no from me

Couldn’t hit a barn door if his life depended upon it and runs funny for a footballer

At least he apologised

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Why do folk think he's so certain to go to Aberdeen?

Wasn't there an article a week or so ago stating that if he decides to stay in Scotland he'd be staying at Hibs, and not going to Aberdeen?

I like him. He improved us immediately after arrived and would probably be my first pick of the midfielders.

I'd be keeping hold of him if it was at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Let him go to Aberdeen . Absolute ***** bag .
    More over the top nonsense.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I like him. He improved us immediately after arrived and would probably be my first pick of the midfielders.

I'd be keeping hold of him if it was at all possible.
    Me too, there are others i'd have out the door before i came to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Meh!
    The player I recall from his time at Ross County - yes please.

The player we’ve seen at Hibs, well Bangkok Hibby sums it up perfectly.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Maybe a cliche , but I think he would be a different player after a proper pre-season. If he leaves then so be it. I would be surprised if he gets a better offer in Scotland as he won't be on the radar of the OF.

Encourages hoofing

Would rather Scott Allan any day of the week

First Team Breakthrough
    Was impressed with Jackson Irvine when he first came to Hibs for his energy and work rate.

Thought along with Cadden,Gogic and Doig he was part of the best Hibs midfield last season

For some unknown reason when Newell came back into the team,he didn’t seem sure of his position and his form dipped.

If he does stay,it probably will be because he doesn’t get a better offer elsewhere.

Is this a good reason for staying ? I’m not sure.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I’m unsure, but as the Modfather says there is no point if it’s to play in a midfield of Newell and Gogic. All the signs are that Newell is a favourite of Ross, though if it was up to me I wouldn’t be playing him and wouldn’t have extended his contract. Gogic on the other hand I really like and I would be starting every game. I’d like to see Scott Allan in the side on the assumption he can get back to his best.

Trouble is if we continue to play with two strikers the current midfield doesn’t look balanced for me and most definitely doesn’t get enough goals. And I’ve seen nothing so far from Magennis to suggest he is the answer.