hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethan Laidlaw

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that the English club who buys him will not want to see him booted up and down the park by the the same type of hammer throwers that tried to finish Duncan Watmore.....
    This type of stuff gets trotted out now and again. The English lower leagues are atleast on a par physically with the Scottish League, infact I'd wager that they are probably worse in a lot of matches.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not sure if Ethan is playing or not but Preston Lodge are playing St.Maurice in the final of the Scottish Schools Cup on Tuesday at Airdrie.

He's in the team photo so I assume he's eligible.
    He's been playing in the games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    He looks quick.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    He's been playing in the games so far.
    Seems quite odd a professional player can play at schools level.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Seems quite odd a professional player can play at schools level.
    That's what I thought?
    But if he has been playing then fair enough just seems weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    That's what I thought?
    But if he has been playing then fair enough just seems weird.
    Maybe depend when his birthday is or more likely when Hibs signed him on professional terms. Would be surprised we were comfortable allowing a player to play at school level when he clearly is an asset for us at the moment.

My daughter is pals with Ethan and the game is Tuesday and he will be playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Spot on. Not like he’s going down south to play he wouldn’t bet a sniff for probably a couple of years at first team level and that depending how he develops. It’s one thing doing it against kids of around his age. These clubs are buying potential that’s all
    Wayne Rooney debuted for Everton at 16 did he not? As did Gordon Smith and Joe Baker for Hibs if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Wayne Rooney debuted for Everton at 16 did he not? As did Gordon Smith and Joe Baker for Hibs if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
    Theo Walcott as well IIRC......

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Theo Walcott as well IIRC......
    Yep. He is the youngest player to ever play for England too. James Milner, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Lennon and Jack Rodwell also made their PL debut at 16 among others.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    So why don’t we give him his debut?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    So why don’t we give him his debut?
    Is he good enough to play for our first team yet?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not sure if Ethan is playing or not but Preston Lodge are playing St.Maurice in the final of the Scottish Schools Cup on Tuesday at Airdrie.

He's in the team photo so I assume he's eligible.
    It says in the evening news, he will ne playing on Tuesday when his school team contest the final.

I’m going to make a guess here that if he had the ability of either of those players he would be in the Hibs first team which tells me he doesn’t and it’s very much buying the potential

Maybe depend when his birthday is or more likely when Hibs signed him on professional terms. Would be surprised we were comfortable allowing a player to play at school level when he clearly is an asset for us at the moment.
    Its not a rule from the schools but Clubs teams used to demand that their players didn't play in School football. These days they tend to be less strict. Player power etc. Also for a kids that playing pro youth the chance of playing for Cups etc are non existent. If you look at Scottish Schools teams over the last few years there are loads of pro youth players in there.

https://scottishschoolsfa.co.uk/boys...al-squad-2020/ Most of this years squad are with pro teams, and thats the same if you go through the previous squads. Oh and the girls side beat England recently. Hopefully we do the same on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Its not a rule from the schools but Clubs teams used to demand that their players didn't play in School football. These days they tend to be less strict. Player power etc. Also for a kids that playing pro youth the chance of playing for Cups etc are non existent. If you look at Scottish Schools teams over the last few years there are loads of pro youth players in there.

https://scottishschoolsfa.co.uk/boys...al-squad-2020/ Most of this years squad are with pro teams, and thats the same if you go through the previous squads. Oh and the girls side beat England recently. Hopefully we do the same on Friday.
    Appreciate that but assuming Ethan is now a signed up Hibs professional rather than part of the pro youth structure. Actually think it is a good thing to be playing with his mates unless of course he gets injured of course that can happen anywhere.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is he good enough to play for our first team yet?
    I know, I know, but sometimes you have to give players opportunities. I feel sometimes we aren't brave enough with our young players who are on the periphery of the squad. Last season would have been the ideal time to give them a few more chances to come on later in games without the pressure of the crowd.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Appreciate that but assuming Ethan is now a signed up Hibs professional rather than part of the pro youth structure. Actually think it is a good thing to be playing with his mates unless of course he gets injured of course that can happen anywhere.
    A lot of the boys are on pro contracts not pro youth. Most of them move to that at 16. I noticed St Ninians won the Seniors Shield. Thats the Celtic Academy School....so it basically the Celtic youth team.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know, I know, but sometimes you have to give players opportunities. I feel sometimes we aren't brave enough with our young players who are on the periphery of the squad. Last season would have been the ideal time to give them a few more chances to come on later in games without the pressure of the crowd.
    You cant be giving players a chance on the off chance they might be good enough, they have to be up to the standard they will be playing at.

The manager obviously thinks he's not there yet, he's a prospect at the moment who hopefully in time will play for us, but we have to trust those at the club who know how good he is now.

First Team Breakthrough
    We only had 3 really comfortable league wins all season and in each of those games we brought on 1 or 2 of the younger players (Gullan, Elder and Shanley).

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    He’s been on the bench of late. He will get opportunities next season.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    And Jimmy O’Rourke.

A lot of the boys are on pro contracts not pro youth. Most of them move to that at 16. I noticed St Ninians won the Seniors Shield. Thats the Celtic Academy School....so it basically the Celtic youth team.
    Is St Ninians a Performance School? (I'm not sure it is). Performance schools are limited to 3 pro youth players plus a goalie I think but non Performance schools can play unlimited pro youth. Academy schools who are non Performance schools obviously take advantage of this.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    It's St Ninian's in Kirkintilloch that's the Celtic youth school. But it was St Ninian's in Giffnock (Andy Robertson's former school) that won the senior shield.

Is St Ninians a Performance School? (I'm not sure it is). Performance schools are limited to 3 pro youth players plus a goalie I think but non Performance schools can play unlimited pro youth. Academy schools who are non Performance schools obviously take advantage of this.
    The guy who I drive for his laddie goes there, have to have something about you to be asked to go there, they come from all over Scotland.

Ok cheers yes had heard Celtic have a school their promising players go to. Hearts have a set up with Balerno I think. Do we have a similar arrangement?

Ok cheers yes had heard Celtic have a school their promising players go to. Hearts have a set up with Balerno I think. Do we have a similar arrangement?
    I'm not sure we do, I think Broughton is the closest we have to a link up.

I'm not sure we do, I think Broughton is the closest we have to a link up.
    Broughton is the SFA performance school. Nowt to do with Hibs. Hibs talked about having a link up with Porty but nothing happened. It obviously needs staffing investment and that's something we have put on hold for now.

Yeh St Nins is a Celtic academy not an SFA performance school. As i mentioned earlier the young lad from Lochend gets driven there every day by a Celtic employee!!

Holyrood is the Glasgow Performance school.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    It's St Ninian's in Kirkintilloch that's the Celtic youth school. But it was St Ninian's in Giffnock (Andy Robertson's former school) that won the senior shield.
    Well spotted. So the Celtic Academy were pish then!