hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethan Laidlaw

Coaching Staff

Ethan Laidlaw

Don't know much about this young man but if clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Leeds and others are tracking him and offering him trials, what are Hibs hopes for him ? Sell now and cash in on an unproven prospect ? Keep and introduce him into the side ? Sell with loan back options ?

Very unusual set of circumstances around him, not many players that age get scouted so soon after signing pro by such big clubs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know much about this young man but if clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Leeds and others are tracking him and offering him trials, what are Hibs hopes for him ? Sell now and cash in on an unproven prospect ? Keep and introduce him into the side ? Sell with loan back options ?

Very unusual set of circumstances around him, not many players that age get scouted so soon after signing pro by such big clubs.
    Mathie said a few weeks ago, we were allowing him to get experience training with other clubs, but he didn’t want to sell him TH
    Haven’t seen the lad play unfortunately

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.n...road-side/amp/

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Mathie said a few weeks ago, we were allowing him to get experience training with other clubs, but he didn’t want to sell him TH
    Haven’t seen the lad play unfortunately

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.n...road-side/amp/
    Thanks Billy very clear he has something or these clubs would not be so keen to take a look, especially so soon after signing pro - they were clearly keen beforehand in my opinion. Sadly don't watch youth football as much these days so know little about him.

I'm also keeping a close eye on Zak Rudden next season - good striker, bit of attitude, Hibs fan, and learning his trade in the lower leagues into the Championship. Developing really well would never have said that a few years ago when he was a wee tearaway great lad though with a good mum supporting him all the way

Thanks Billy very clear he has something or these clubs would not be so keen to take a look, especially so soon after signing pro - they were clearly keen beforehand in my opinion. Sadly don't watch youth football as much these days so know little about him.

I'm also keeping a close eye on Zak Rudden next season - good striker, bit of attitude, Hibs fan, and learning his trade in the lower leagues into the Championship. Developing really well would never have said that a few years ago when he was a wee tearaway great lad though with a good mum supporting him all the way
    My son went to school with Zak and we were just talking about him last night. A good season in the Championship and he could potentially be the next Nisbet.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    My son went to school with Zak and we were just talking about him last night. A good season in the Championship and he could potentially be the next Nisbet.
    Like many at a young age, when he signed with The Rangers he thought he'd made it and his attitude really let him down (and I told him that). But so chuffed for him, he's a nice lad and has clearly worked hard with the head down - and it's paying dividends. Remember watching him in a youth cup final at Rugby Park years ago and thinking he's head and shoulders above every player on the pitch (mind he told everyone that too)

Very instinctive player.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Like many at a young age, when he signed with The Rangers he thought he'd made it and his attitude really let him down (and I told him that). But so chuffed for him, he's a nice lad and has clearly worked hard with the head down - and it's paying dividends. Remember watching him in a youth cup final at Rugby Park years ago and thinking he's head and shoulders above every player on the pitch (mind he told everyone that too)

Very instinctive player.
    Is he still with Rangers?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Partick Thistle Jim - was at Falkirk on loan from them and Plymouth - signed permanently with Partick and has hit the ground running.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    ....and he followed Hibs home and away too when he was a youth player with them which gives him extra kudos in my book

Ethan is in my daughters class at school. Nice lad from what I hear and just loves the game. Die hard Hibee even though his twin brother is a Jambo!

Would like to see him play for a couple of seasons at us then move. The teams will wait if he’s that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post
    Ethan is in my daughters class at school. Nice lad from what I hear and just loves the game. Die hard Hibee even though his twin brother is a Jambo!

Would like to see him play for a couple of seasons at us then move. The teams will wait if he’s that good.

I'm just very intrigued due to the fact not many at that age get such invites or interest so soon after signing pro with a parent club. He obviously has something or these clubs would not be so keen to want an extended look at him. He's clearly been on many clubs radar. Like all young player, wish him the best and hope he has good guidance behind him.

I'm just very intrigued due to the fact not many at that age get such invites or interest so soon after signing pro with a parent club. He obviously has something or these clubs would not be so keen to want an extended look at him. He's clearly been on many clubs radar. Like all young player, wish him the best and hope he has good guidance behind him.
    Yeah I agree, I think it happened more so 20-30 years ago but rare now.

He’s down in Liverpool now my daughter tells me.

Was disappointed he never got a run out down at Stranraer. The game was won with time to spare would have been good to see him get a chance

One of my Liverpool supporting customers emailed me with a piece on a Liverpool social media site about him!
    I think it’s a sideways step myself and told him so
    A team finishing 3rd in their league with no trophies this year
    No different to Hibs
    Funny that order hasn’t come through yet🤷*♂️

Partick Thistle Jim - was at Falkirk on loan from them and Plymouth - signed permanently with Partick and has hit the ground running.
    Watched him play for Falkirk a couple of times. Good technically and an eye for goal. Also, not afraid to mix it 😉
    This is how it feels

I saw an interview with Richard Foster last week in which he was praising Zak.

Ok cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post

Must be an interesting household that

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Was disappointed he never got a run out down at Stranraer. The game was won with time to spare would have been good to see him get a chance
    Hear what you are saying though think Stranraer were starting to put in some dodgy challenges so may have been wary of him getting hurt.

Hopefully we keep the young guy and he continues to progress and next season can be part of the first team squad. Would be brilliant if we do start to bring through some real talent as would save money initially then hopefully make money when they mature and move on.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    One of my Liverpool supporting customers emailed me with a piece on a Liverpool social media site about him!
    I think it’s a sideways step myself and told him so
    A team finishing 3rd in their league with no trophies this year
    No different to Hibs
    Funny that order hasn’t come through yet🤷*♂️
    Training for a week with the development squad, a great experience for him.

Ethan scored the winner for Liverpool 17s earlier in the week and was due to play for them again last night. I'm not sure if it was Spurs last night or earlier in the week.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Ethan scored the winner for Liverpool 17s earlier in the week and was due to play for them again last night. I'm not sure if it was Spurs last night or earlier in the week.
    I was told the game he scored in was against Man U and it was a cracking goal.

Must be some experience for the young lad. Hope he embraces it and kicks on

Got me thinking about the next big thing that came through at livi. Boy knox (had to Google to find his first name, Matthew) he went on trial to rangers, man utd but looks as though his career nose dived rapidly and playing in the lower half of NI Premier league

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post

Got me thinking about the next big thing that came through at livi. Boy knox (had to Google to find his first name, Matthew) he went on trial to rangers, man utd but looks as though his career nose dived rapidly and playing in the lower half of NI Premier league
    Tranent Juniors now I think.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post

Another reason why although as fans we all want him to stay and have a great year or two before leaving, in reality, if he gets the opportunity he’s got to go.

Similarly we can’t be silly about the money we want. A lot can go wrong from being a promising youngster tk actually making it at the top level.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think he makes a lot of sense. Hope Ethan stays and works on getting into our first team.

@hibs.net private member Silversand's Avatar
    If he left to join, say, Liverpool, presume we wouldn't actually make much money on the deal?

Would be frustrating to have a great young talent sign for Hibs as a youngster, only to see him leave for peanuts.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversand View Post
    If he left to join, say, Liverpool, presume we wouldn't actually make much money on the deal?

Would be frustrating to have a great young talent sign for Hibs as a youngster, only to see him leave for peanuts.

He’s signed a pro deal so would probably not be bad cash for a lad that might never realistically make it

Quote Originally Posted by Silversand View Post

Leeds offered us xxx amount a few weeks ago for him but Hibs turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Another reason why although as fans we all want him to stay and have a great year or two before leaving, in reality, if he gets the opportunity he’s got to go.

Similarly we can’t be silly about the money we want. A lot can go wrong from being a promising youngster tk actually making it at the top level.
    Why can't we? Hibs are not a bloody charity or part of other club's scouting systems, we are a professional football club and if another far far richer club wants to in effect poach a youngster we have nurtured to the point of him being worth a professional contract and a place on the bench then we should squeeze every last bloody penny out of the buggers, who in all likelihood will take this guy and never give him a sniff of first team football, apart from at some league 2 ****hole in round 3 of the Caraboa cup.

Yes Hibs have a duty of care, especially to young players, but part of that duty of care is not in my opinion to smooth the way so that another club can snap them up for peanuts as the clubs own fans miss the chance to see a promising young local lad make it in our first team and instead disappear into the black hole of a league where the probable outcome will be him signing for Fleetwood Town or Carlisle United three or four years later.

Ron Gordon has made it clear that Hibs will not stand in the way of any player given a chance to sign for a club in a bigger league with all the riches that go with that for them. But he has also made it clear that doesn't mean Hibs will be a soft touch in transfer negotiations and he's proved that by turning down two big money offers in the last 6 months. If Liverpool or any other club rate Laidlaw that highly we get them to put their money where their mouths are or tell them to sod off.