hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New captain

First Team Breakthrough

New captain

Who do you think realistically we could bring in this summer as a new captain

2. Log in to remove the advert

Paul hanlon

We're not signing someone who will immediately become captain in a dressing room with gray, mcgregor and hanlon

Is this part of a competition for who can create the daftest thread?

It’s not happening but it’s a valid question IMO.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not happening but it’s a valid question IMO.
    It is indeed.
    I dont have an answer BTW :-)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Gogic captained St Mirren.

Irvine captained Hull.

We’ve got multiple “captains” in the squad. Who actually wears the armband doesn’t stop the others from doing what they always do.

It’s just something that some people like to try and blame for results that don’t go our way, when in reality a new “captain” wouldn’t actually really change anything. Unless it’s a better footballer whose ability makes us better, not the fact he’s a “captain”.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its staring us in the face. Matt Macey!

Captains are overrated.

Signing the right player is needed with the right mentality etc, but who is actual captain doesn’t make a huge difference Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Captains are overrated.

Signing the right player is needed with the right mentality etc, but who is actual captain doesn’t make a huge difference Imo.
    You could maybe rephrase the question a bit. We need a player/players who are going to drag the rest of them along.

We had loads of them on the pitch when we won the cup. On Saturday, everyone was waiting for someone else to do it.

I understand why people would jump at this and say it's a daft thread but the OP is onto something. Hanlon is not captain material and as much as he's a cup winning legend and he's not the sole reason for us losing certain games etc I don't think anyone can justifiably argue that Hanlon is a great captain.

Having a younger Gray/McGregor as captain would improve the team if you ask me, trouble is you don't just go out and but a captain and drop him into the side, just doesn't work.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post

trouble is you don't just go out and but a captain and drop him into the side, just doesn't work.
    Which is why it's a daft thread.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I understand why people would jump at this and say it's a daft thread but the OP is onto something. Hanlon is not captain material and as much as he's a cup winning legend and he's not the sole reason for us losing certain games etc I don't think anyone can justifiably argue that Hanlon is a great captain.

Having a younger Gray/McGregor as captain would improve the team if you ask me, trouble is you don't just go out and but a captain and drop him into the side, just doesn't work.
    I feel like a broken record, cos I’ve said this a million times on here -

We’ve lost loads of games when both Gray and McGregor were playing. Loads. We lost “big games”, we lost derbys, we lost games at home to ***** teams that we should never have lost.

Gray and McGregor shout more than Paul Hanlon though, so for some reason, to some people, they’re more “captain material”.

Hanlon has been superb this season and has led by example.

We could have done with McGregor next to him on Saturday doing likewise, albeit without a wee armband.

A new captain would be a lovely silver bullet solution but it doesn't work that way. Unfortunately our solution will involve several people having a word with themselves and not allowing their personal standards to drop so low on the biggest stage ever again.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    No one

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I feel like a broken record, cos I’ve said this a million times on here -

We’ve lost loads of games when both Gray and McGregor were playing. Loads. We lost “big games”, we lost derbys, we lost games at home to ***** teams that we should never have lost.

Gray and McGregor shout more than Paul Hanlon though, so for some reason, to some people, they’re more “captain material”.
    Correct. It’s like I’m watching World of Sport.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    What criteria / skillset must our potential new captain meet?

The team is on the field for 90 minutes. What does a captain do to pull things around when it is a going down the drain, like it did on Saturday.
    I have never played football, beyond kick abouts at school, so I confess that I do get a bit confused when it comes to what we supporters expect from our captain.
    Lead by example, obviousily. Berate someone for a stupid mistake, seen that happen, cajole them to put in more effort. But what does he do when the majority of the team just seem to downs tools.
    I think the expectation of how much influence the captain has once the team is out on the pitch is way over stated. There is a general expectation that each player is going to give their best, knowing full well that every one has the occassional 'bad day at the office'. But not all on the same day.
    So I have no idea who should be our captain, or who we should target to bring in for the role. I just hope they are the best we can afford for the position they are filling on the pitch.

I said it on Saturday, i was disappointed the sent out Macey to face the music.

A good Captain would have taken this on the chin and faced the cameras and ****** apologised, did he xxxx

I've seen players go flying into tackles and hurting opposition players when the games getting away from their side and they get sent off and cost any chance of a comeback, I've seen players go shouting at their teammates for mistakes and the team falling out and playing within themselves due to lost confidence. Doing either of these things doesn't make you a good captain.

The few things fans can judge a captain on with credibility is their commitment to the football club and their affinity with the fans themselves. Things that Paul Hanlon passes with flying colours.

Beyond that only Hanlon's teammates and the coaching staff can judge his abilities as a captain on the field in a professional manner. A captain is the least of our worries.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Which player gets appoints as Captain has absolutely no effect on how the team performs. None.

Who's the Man City Captain? Or Liverpool's? Even Barcelona have Messi.

You could make Martin Boyle, Josh Doig or Darren McGregor Captain instead of Paul Hanlon and the performances would be exactly the same.

If you needed someone to shout and scream at you for motivation, you wouldn't be a professional footballer.

You'd either be a conscript in the army or in jail.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Charlie Mulgrew

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Its staring us in the face. Matt Macey!
    Not many can stare Macey straight in the face…chin perhaps.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Which player gets appoints as Captain has absolutely no effect on how the team performs. None.

Who's the Man City Captain? Or Liverpool's? Even Barcelona have Messi.

You could make Martin Boyle, Josh Doig or Darren McGregor Captain instead of Paul Hanlon and the performances would be exactly the same.

If you needed someone to shout and scream at you for motivation, you wouldn't be a professional footballer.

You'd either be a conscript in the army or in jail.
    Not so sure I agree I think many players do have clear leadership qualities be that verbally or leading by example which can influence other team members to raise their level. Think Liverpool with or without Henderson are different teams as are City without Fernandinho. Roy Keane and Scott Brown were also imo hugely influential characters. Contrast to that is no such player in a green jersey showing the drive and leadership to raise our teams level on Saturday, I think it can be overstated however do think it does make a difference if you are lucky enough to have such a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    I said it on Saturday, i was disappointed the sent out Macey to face the music.

A good Captain would have taken this on the chin and faced the cameras and ****** apologised, did he xxxx
    The broadcasters ask who they want to interview.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Not so sure I agree I think many players do have clear leadership qualities be that verbally or leading by example which can influence other team members to raise their level. Think Liverpool with or without Henderson are different teams as are City without Fernandinho. Roy Keane and Scott Brown were also imo hugely influential characters. Contrast to that is no such player in a green jersey showing the drive and leadership to raise our teams level on Saturday, I think it can be overstated however do think it does make a difference if you are lucky enough to have such a character.
    Those players would be exactly the same with or without an armband.

Another Hibs.net myth that a good captain makes a good team, whatever a good captain means.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Paul hanlon

We're not signing someone who will immediately become captain in a dressing room with gray, mcgregor and hanlon
    He's not a leader im afraid.

Nice guy, honest kind, etc but not what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post

How do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How do you know?
    Because he doesn’t shout a lot, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post

Do you know him ? Can’t really say someone ain’t a leader of you don’t know them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was Hanlon not the Scotland captain at lower age levels? He had loads of U21 caps iirc and regularly captained the side, although I could be wrong.

If so, having done that at an early age, played for Hibs through thick and thin under various managers and captains and now been chosen to be captain, what exactly is it about him that suggests he's not up to captaining Hibs?

Apart from anything else he has been superb this season and at times when we've been flagging a bit further forward, he's driven us on.

We were poor as a team on Saturday but I honestly don't think either Hanlon individually or as a captain was the problem.

Our best sides have had captains throughout the team who would spur each other on. Too many players just disappeared into themselves on Saturday, which imo is a different problem requiring a different solution.