hibs.net Messageboard

On a happier note....

Matt Macey.

There were a few worried about him taking the gloves for the final and finding fault with some early performances, but he was impeccable; that double save at the penalty speaks for himself, he was dominant and vocal and just looked composed. The position calls for calmness under pressure more than anything, so to perform like that on a big stage (albeit without fans) is a good sign we have a worthy replacement for Rocky and he gets some credit in the bank with the fans.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Only blameless player on the park

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

The one bright spark in what was an otherwise dismal display.

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely- there were a few folk it seemed who were ready to pounce if he’d made a mistake. Delighted for him - as has been said he was the only one with a pass mark.

With a double save like that, he didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Should have triggered a rousing effort by his team mates to get back into the Cup Final, but instead it was more of the same, suggesting the Hibs players were beaten long before the final whistle went off.

Build from the back for next season starting with Macey. The rest need to earn their place.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Matt Macey.

There were a few worried about him taking the gloves for the final and finding fault with some early performances, but he was impeccable; that double save at the penalty speaks for himself, he was dominant and vocal and just looked composed. The position calls for calmness under pressure more than anything, so to perform like that on a big stage (albeit without fans) is a good sign we have a worthy replacement for Rocky and he gets some credit in the bank with the fans.
    Yeah, the great penalty save gives him a good credit in the fans bank as he begins the difficult task of taking over from Rocky.
    Has a chance to build on it now.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-05-2021 at 01:01 PM.

I wasn't overly sold on him but as others rightly say he was the only one out there that really could hold his head up high, his double save at the penalty was as important as a goal and he stepped up and delivered a moment to keep us in the game. It's a shame his teammates couldn't make it count.

He's certainly earned the right to lose the gloves next season as opposed to still having to earn them in my mind.

Thought this would be a Lille thread.

Keeper was good though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

The one bright spark in what was an otherwise dismal display.
    So all we now need is another 10 bright sparks, here's hoping

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Thought this would be a Lille thread.

Keeper was good though.
    Naw, Lilles triumph is potentially bad/sad news too, they’re about to have a spectacular young squad broken up by rapacious billionaire super clubs

What sort of contract is he on? Can imagine that a good season with us in the shop window could lead to potential suitors from Dan Saff.

@hibs.net private member
    The only player who deserved a bit of praise .
    Tremendous double save which should have gave the team a lift sadly nothing

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Aye I wasn’t too sure about the big guy but he’s been decent

I like that he’s not afraid to come out and catch a cross. Canny be that hard at 6 ft 7 mind you

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Josh Taylor won

@hibs.net private member
    One less plastic pitch in the top league

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    One less plastic pitch in the top league
    Two

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Matt Macey.

I did have my doubts but you're right he gave a good performance. I really liked how vocal he was, which is important for a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    I did have my doubts but you're right he gave a good performance. I really liked how vocal he was, which is important for a keeper.
    His distribution was good as well from what I remember. Long and accurate kicks, sadly hardly any of the balls in the air were won though.

He’s just the type of keeper I like and luckily the goalie position is one we haven’t had to worry about in recent times with him, Rocky and Bogdan.

Yes. I like Macey. Being a bit old school, I’ve always preferred a goalies first set of skills to be aggressive off his line to take high balls and command his box. There are too many goalies nowadays determined to pull off the next eye catching glamorous stop on the line (and some of them are admittedly very good at it) but it can also be costly and very frustrating when a bit of dirty work might have stopped the chance in the first place. Strikers don’t like a physical combative keeper.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Macey done well.

I thought he was poor v Motherwell in the cup and should have done better with both goals. Other than that though he’s looked decent and deserves a lot of credit for his double save at the weekend.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I think Rocky is the better keeper, based on what i've seen over the period of time both have been at the club. Macey did not lose us that game on Saturday, in fact he kept us in the bloody game for longer than we probably deserved.

Hopefully he goes on to have as good a career at us that Rocky has.

Hopefully he continues to do well in ‘big games’....

#justbeenreadingtheotherthread

@hibs.net private member
    When Gordon Strachen was asked prior to the Dun Utd game who would be best in goal Rocky or Macey, GS said that if it goes to penalty's Macey would be best because with his size, he is 6'7 that it gives the player doubt because it looks like he's filling the goal and the player starts thinking i'll have to place it and is likely to miss the goal, Macey got down well to save the penalty on Sat, so maybe he is good enough still not played enough to be judged of course