hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm in Argentina now and my partner's family are all big River Plate fans, with the suffering of the past 30 plus years of following Hibs I won't deny any future child the easier River Plate life..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs are my team, my dad's team, my grandads team and are now my daughter's team. Just the way my family is. I wouldn't force it on her but I'd be gutted if she decided to support someone else.
    I'm very much the same. Grandads on both sides were Hibbies, both my parents were season ticket holders. Me and my brothers are all season ticket holders as are my sons and and my grand children. Not a chance of supporting anyone else in my family. Hibernian F.C. its in the blood.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    My Dad was a Celtic fan (now converted, by me!) so I can't really complain if my future kids end up choosing someone else.

Would be nice to take them to games though.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    My dad is a Hibs fan thanks to his uncle, and he took me when I was young. My oldest had a season ticket for a couple of years but he wasn’t that into it, and towards the end of the second season he was choosing not to go to matches. Fair enough, he’s just not really into football, either watching or playing. My youngest son is football daft, I’ve got us both season tickets for next season so hoping we have some good games to look forward to which cement his love for Hibs.

My grandsons are 6th generation Hibs supporters. Their great great great grandad was from the community that founded the club.

Down the generations, our family have lived all over and outside the town, had all sorts of different jobs, and had all sorts of different views on most things. Hibs are the one constant that links that first generation to the sixth generation which I think is pretty special.

Supporting anyone else has never been an option in our family

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    My grandsons are 6th generation Hibs supporters. Their great great great grandad was from the community that founded the club.

Down the generations, our family have lived all over and outside the town, had all sorts of different jobs, and had all sorts of different views on most things. Hibs are the one constant that links that first generation to the sixth generation which I think is pretty special.

That's superb, mate
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Moved to Glasgow when I was 3 - family all Jambos - pals here and at school all Huns.

Daughter came into this world in ‘96 - wife’s family all Celtic and my daughter went to a Uber Hun school.

Happy to report that she is an Uber Hibby despite all the adversity - could not be happier 😁

I haven’t got kids as yet, but I always imagine them being wee hibees. Now I think of it though, other than a nice thing to do with younguns (sometimes), I’m not sure I’d be all that fussy in pushing them to Hibs.. probably let them take their own interest if they want to. Although a few obvious teams would be out of the question ;)

My dad wasn’t a hibs fan. He just wanted his boys to love football. Thankfully Hibs found me :)

***** it, I’ve changed my mind. They’ll be Hibs fans or oot the hoose.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    My wee man's just about to turn 2 and I don't know if I want to put him through it . Especially after Saturday . His 1st final and that's the best they can do
    My son loves Hibs and going to games so thankfully I’ve never had to worry about him following another team.

I have to say though, I really questioned what I was subjecting him to at the final whistle of the Ross County game. He was 11 years old and he just looked shell shocked. I looked along the row, and there was another boy of around a similar age, absolutely crying his heart out. If we hadn’t won the Scottish cup that year, I think we may have lost a huge chunk of kids from our support, my son was too young to remember 2007, so all he had experienced following Hibs, was 3 cup final defeats and relegation.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    Moved to Glasgow when I was 3 - family all Jambos - pals here and at school all Huns.

Daughter came into this world in ‘96 - wife’s family all Celtic and my daughter went to a Uber Hun school.

Happy to report that she is an Uber Hibby despite all the adversity - could not be happier 😁
    Your work is done. Well done.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post

Brilliant

Not at all. Free choice and all that.

When I was old enough to go to games a chose Hibs.
    Dad a Rangers fan and grandad a Jambo ( he lived above Tommy Youngers bar though and regularly had parties with both Hibs and Hearts players in attendance).

But my dad waited and let me choose.

I personally think it’s odd seeing babies in a teams colours and the “ newest fan “ thing but each to their own.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I come from a long line of Hibs supporters and when I was growing up my love of the club bordered on obsession.

My kids, however, don't actively follow the club, or indeed have any interest in football full stop. Sure, they're well aware of my feelings for Hibs but when moments like the 2016 cup win happen it's really ME they're happy for rather than the club.

I took each of them to Easter Road when they were younger but it steadily became clear it wasn't something that really grabbed them and it's been years since any of them went to a game. One of them did play football for a bit but gave it up a while back to focus on individual sports which he finds much more fulfilling.

I did wonder if I had some sort of 'duty' as a parent to keep the family tradition going, but as time has gone on I've come to believe I did the right thing in not trying force the issue. One of my earliest memories as a Hibs fan is of the tears running down my face as I listened on the radio to Arthur Duncan scoring the own goal which gave Rangers the Scottish Cup in the twice replayed 1979 final. The disappointments and letdowns since then have been many and as somebody has posted on another thread our cup final record makes you wonder if the very few highs truly compensate for the far too frequent lows. Dejected and angered as I was by Saturday's latest shocker, it actually helped to be quickly thrown back into normal Saturday evening family life and be among people for whom a football result has absolutely no impact on their frame of mind.

Sure, I've had some brilliant times supporting Hibs but on reflection much of that has had to do with the friends I've been with, the fun of European travel/pre-match drinking etc. In terms of what a club of Hibs' size has actually offered in return for the enormous financial and emotional investment I've made in them I'm just not so sure it stacks up. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for many football fans, supporting a club can often feel like a burden that you're not sure you can keep carrying and I can honestly say that on balance I'm glad I never went out of my way to make my kids share that load.

Thoughts? Anyone else got kids who never inherited the Hibs bug - or (perish the thought) chose to support another club?
    I have 3 sons and I wasn’t desperate that they became Hibbies but I was mad keen on them enjoying and playing football and through that hoped they would, in time, follow Hibs.
    However all 3 bar the youngest didn’t enjoy football and were more interested in other sports. The youngest played school and boys club football but it became obvious that he was doing it to please me although I don’t think he didn’t enjoy it. Gradually.he became more interested in Judo and progressed through that to a very high standard, international competition, captained his University team and now coaches, and I couldn’t be more proud of him and his brothers.
    l have mixed feelings about it, I did take them to a few games and have watched games with them on TV but it was obvious the interest wasn’t there. I haven’t tried to force football on them but I would have liked to have gone to games with them. However all is not lost my oldest son just became a Dad for the first time and I’m retired now so we’ll see if my little Grand-daughter has the bug and the love of the game and the Hibees has skipped a generation.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Your work is done. Well done.
    Cheers - I feel like I have been a subconscious Hibby Missionary. I have recently persuaded a fitba mad Argentinian girl to follow the Cabbage (when I lived in NZ for 7 years until the end of last year ). It is after all a type of religion for us all 😂

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    On the family thing, my Dad and I made it out mission to take my wee cousin along to Hibs games when he was wee.

He was from a rugby family (Hearts if I had to push them) but he was never going to football.

Mission was accomplished.

J

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    My Dad was a Celtic fan (now converted, by me!) so I can't really complain if my future kids end up choosing someone else.

Would be nice to take them to games though.
    this is interesting, and impressive.

If I might ask, how’d you end up choosing the better shade of green when the easier life was there for you?

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I have a wee girl and I had her in her hibs top at the weekend. She loved it, she’s nearly two.

But in reality if she chooses to not support them (by not liking the sport) that is fine. If she chooses to support another side, that will be categorically not fine

My 3 wee girls will all support hibs but it won't be rammed down their throats, if they want to go to games they can. My interest has dropped in recent years too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’ve no kids but for me I think I’d be delighted if they were Hibs fans, could accept if they didn’t like football at all but would be gutted if they supported someone else.

It's not important at all.