hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mallan and Allan

2 creative players who perhaps may have given Hibs a different dimension on Saturday given their playing styles and experiences of playing for Hibs. The present midfield to be honest couldn't create an opportunity or score a goal between them.

Mallan gets better every week on here. He has been utter pish for a long time.

Allan yes, but his health conditions couldn't really be forseen.

I wonder if we missed a trick with Ryan Gauld. Big move coming for him this summer after a wonderful season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I wonder if we missed a trick with Ryan Gauld. Big move coming for him this summer after a wonderful season.
    I’m not convinced Mallan would be the right man for the job however we definitely needed something different on Saturday. Going in to the last 20-25 mins on Saturday, 1 nil down, Mallan coming off the bench would have given me a lot more hope than the ones that did (Murphy apart)

Mallan is not a world beater but he is capable of taking set pieces and on occasion capable of creating chances and scoring goals, different from the currently favoured midfielders.

I don't think we missed a trick. Was it not widely reported in the media at the time he was with us there was a completely unrealistic release clause tied into his contract

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The way you speak about Hibs players you dislike is disgraceful. You are incapable of having a balanced and reasonable view on anything once you've made your mind up on something.
    No, it isn't. He has been rubbish for a while. I'm always there to give him credit for a good performance. I do have balanced and reasonable opinions based on facts and watching the player. Think whatever you like though.

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    I don't think we missed a trick. Was it not widely reported in the media at the time he was with us there was a completely unrealistic release clause tied into his contract
    How did he end up where he is now then? Genuinely asking. Wasn't he freed after leaving us?

No, it isn't. He has been rubbish for a while. I'm always there to give him credit for a good performance. I do have balanced and reasonable opinions based on facts and watching the player. Think whatever you like though.

How did he end up where he is now then? Genuinely asking. Wasn't he freed after leaving us?
    According to his wiki page

Ryan Gauld left Sporting to rejoin Farense on a permanent basis in July 2019, signing a two-year contract with an option for a third year and a €4 million release clause.On 29 February 2020.

It doesn't mention a fee to rejoin Farense. But apparently Southampton are interested in him now.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

The way you speak about Hibs players you dislike is disgraceful. You are incapable of having a balanced and reasonable view on anything once you've made your mind up on something.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Mallan was gash and we could not afford Gauld.

As for Scottie, I can only hope he can get back to his best, but I think it's a big ask.

Allan has a long way to go yet before he's ready for a game like that. He had only just started getting full games for ICT against plumbers and sparkys.

I don't think that game would have suited Mallan but at least he'd have been a different option from the bench instead of Hallberg who was just a like for like replacement.

@hibs.net private member
    Mallan wouldn’t have made a difference on Saturday unless he was just going to shoot every time he got on the ball from where ever he was, we might have got lucky that way but highly doubt it.

We just don’t know how Allan would have been if he was able to actually take the field but I’m not sure a less than 100% Allan would have got us back in the game either.

Good point about Gauld however I think he’s been in Portugal that long that his game is far more suited over there than it is here which is why he didn’t stand out for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Mallan wouldn’t have made a difference on Saturday unless he was just going to shoot every time he got on the ball from where ever he was, we might have got lucky that way but highly doubt it.
    Anybody shooting would have been better than the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Good point

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    I’m still astounded at how easy a game their keeper had. No 1 free kick around their box and barely a shot at goal. In a Scottish Cup Final ffs!

I agree Mallan not the answer but the goals return from Gogic, Newell, Irvine etc lamentable.

Gash,pish, wouldn't have made a difference, Newell and Irvine never look like having a decent shot at goal never mind scoring.

Unless we were looking for a free kick taker then Mallan wouldn't have made much of a difference at all.

Allan was a great player for us and I really hope he can get back to his best. It will take a huge amount of work for him to do that though and in reality Scott Allan wouldn't have changed the game for us on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Mallan wouldn’t have been effective. St Johnstone’s strength is their pressing and stifling the midfield and Mallan needs space to work in, Allan too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Mallan wouldn’t have been effective. St Johnstone’s strength is their pressing and stifling the midfield and Mallan needs space to work in, Allan too.
    Good players make space for themselves and beat that press though.

We seriously lacked anyone to even attempt something a bit different.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    A fit Allan creates space for himself. Mallan off the bench would have been a better option than those on it bar Murphy (who did nothing) when we needed to chase the game.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    A fit Allan creates space for himself. Mallan off the bench would have been a better option than those on it bar Murphy (who did nothing) when we needed to chase the game.
    Having only one attacking option off the bench with the ability to change a game highlights the imbalance in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    2 creative players who perhaps may have given Hibs a different dimension on Saturday given their playing styles and experiences of playing for Hibs. The present midfield to be honest couldn't create an opportunity or score a goal between them.
    Irvine, Newell, Magennis, Hallberg - 119 collective appearances this season. Total goals - 4.

Mallan - 20 appearances this season.. Total goals - 4.

No disrespect to the likes of Gogic, Newell, Hallberg, Doig,Irvine or Magennis but they won't produce goals from midfield.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    No disrespect to the likes of Gogic, Newell, Hallberg, Doig,Irvine or Magennis but they won't produce goals from midfield.
    Magennis hasn't had the chance tbf, the others I agree with - though Gogic scored one of our goals of the season.

We had no players on the bench who could have changed the game, not getting another striker in Jan was criminal. We really should have went 352 and matched saints. Players need to have a good look at themselves, they missed a massive opportunity

If Mallan works hard on improving his workrate there is a player there. A midfielder who gives you goals what is there not to like.

Unfortunately I can see Mallan moving on and becoming a decent player which I believe for another club

Unfortunately I can see Mallan moving on and becoming a decent player which I believe for another club
    I could see that too. I also understand the criticisms around some of his play and why he may not be seen as a long term answer.

But someone describing him as utter pish is just embarrasing analysis.

He has more goal threat in his left pinkie than the rest of the Hibs midfield combined. For that reason alone its impossible to say that he woudn't have made a difference, because he might have. What's sure is I think every Hibs fan watching on Saturday knew as the second half unfolded we weren't scoring with the players available.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    I could see that too. I also understand the criticisms around some of his play and why he may not be seen as a long term answer.

But someone describing him as utter pish is just embarrasing analysis.

He has more goal threat in his left pinkie than the rest of the Hibs midfield combined. For that reason alone its impossible to say that he woudn't have made a difference, because he might have. What's sure is I think every Hibs fan watching on Saturday knew as the second half unfolded we weren't scoring with the players available.
    Likewise I understand the criticisms, he is not a complete player ( who is at Hibs? ) but when you are watching a midfield that didn't create, were pedestrian and offered little in terms of affecting the game, it was beyond being frustrating, as is the utilisation of right footed midfielders being asked to play wide on the left for the majority of the season, having to rely on a young laddie to come up with the goods with little experience ( Doig ).

To be fair, the lads I watched the game with would have put up a better fight than that disgraceful spectacle we were dished up.

Only Allan at his best would have made a difference. But no point dreaming about what ifs. We had more than enough on that pitch to win the Cup and Ross had enough options to affect the game. Sadly, we had no one close to the calibre of Stokes or Henderson or McGinn to drag the others along.