hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big Clearout needed

We need to cash in our chips and rebuild.
    Have not seen as passion-less performance since Matt Doherty pulled on a shirt for us.

Invest in young hungry kids and use McGregor, lewis and Grey to mentor them. The rest can all get their dream move down south, to the back-passers paradise. Entice some hungry promising raw young players with European football and rebuild.

I still like the look of Booth and know he wasn't in a good space for a few years, but he reminded me what we are missing. Not suggesting we bid for him though.

We need hunger back in this squad, simple as that!
    Last edited by spike220; 24-05-2021 at 04:18 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not sure I agree with that. Despite the result and performance on Saturday this squad finished 3rd which was the priority at the start of the season. Everyone will agree the squad isn't perfect but rather than a complete overhaul I think 3 or 4 quality additions is the way to go.

Ideally we would reinvest any fees to replace the departing player, sign a proven goalscorer to compete with Doidge and Nesbitt. If Allan is not going to be fit enough to start/play every game then a quality playmaker in the middle of the park is also required. I think with a full pre season behind him Magennis will prove himself to be a valuable member of the squad too.

We've seen from Hearts over the last few years the rebuild and scattergun every summer doesn't work.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I'd lose no sleep over Irivne not staying. I really haven't seen enough from him to suggest we should be falling over ourselves to sign him. Having said that he hadn't kicked a ball in months before signing for us so I guess a bit of bedding in time was deserved. I'd rather get Campbell in but it would appear that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd lose no sleep over Irivne not staying. I really haven't seen enough from him to suggest we should be falling over ourselves to sign him. Having said that he hadn't kicked a ball in months before signing for us so I guess a bit of bedding in time was deserved. I'd rather get Campbell in but it would appear that ship has sailed.
    Irvine seems to have flattered to deceive. First few games when he was "rusty" he showed great promise and I think we all thought he would improve the more he played. But in fact he seems to have regressed. Should have been the first one hooked from midfield on Saturday. Has missed three or four chances in the last few weeks which you would expect any decent footballer to bury. So I agree, I'll not lose sleep if he isn't here next season. But we don't need a big clear out. WE found the perfect way to beat the Sheep. We just need to find a way to beat Saints! What a season we would have had if our last four matches vs them had been 1-0 wins instead of losses.
    We already have the players to do that. My finger is pointing at JR. Overall he gets plus marks, but a big minus vs Saints.

A clear out is the last thing we need. We have a great foundation to build on.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I don't think a big clearout is the answer - over the course of the season we've done well and shouldn't lose sight of that.

Our squad may look a bit different if our hand is forced when/if bids come in for Doig, Porteous, Boyle, and Nisbet though. We'll just have to see.

We've got macey to be our #1, and Mackay coming in upfront - hopefully we'll see more from Magennis, Murphy, and Allan next year too compared to what they had the chance to offer us this season.

We've got the foundations of a good squad there and with 1/2 additions we'll be competing for 3rd and the cups again - overhauling the squad at this point would be reckless.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't think a big clearout is the answer - over the course of the season we've done well and shouldn't lose sight of that.

Our squad may look a bit different if our hand is forced when/if bids come in for Doig, Porteous, Boyle, and Nisbet though. We'll just have to see.

We've got macey to be our #1, and Mackay coming in upfront - hopefully we'll see more from Magennis, Murphy, and Allan next year too compared to what they had the chance to offer us this season.

We've got the foundations of a good squad there and with 1/2 additions we'll be competing for 3rd and the cups again - overhauling the squad at this point would be reckless.
    Agreed. There's Cadden to come back too. I will be happy if we pull in a few million for the players mentioned and start by bringing in Griffiths - tin hat on - and Jason Kerr. (Added bonus is he is a big Hibbie).

The performance on Saturday was so bad it was almost surreal, I cannot fathom what the hell went on inside the manager and players heads.

But it's gone now and though it will hurt for a while yet, life goes on. It is what it is. I think the bones have been picked dry, we have to move on.

Don't see a major overhaul but think Saturday has just sealed the transfers of Nesbit, Porteous and Doig - all for different reasons. Not convinced Irvine is the best we can do in his position but we need to hold onto the likes of Boyle & Doidge. They are two players who normally give 100% and are capable of raising their game if surrounded by better players.

No clear out needed. We need Griffiths, and possibly sell Nisbet

@hibs.net private member
    It depends on who we sell.

Definitely loads of room to improve - we need to freshen up the squad with numbers to cover us in Europe. Midfield isn’t great - lack of goals and creativity- not fussed if Irvine goes. I think Newell is over rated as well.

If Boyle and or Nisbet go we’ve got a load of goals to replace so need midfield to start chipping in.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I don't think a big clear out is needed but I agree we should cash in on some players, Nisbet and Porteous are the two I would look to get a decent fee as I believe we can find just as good replacements. We should try to hold onto Doig if we can but an offer may be to good to refuse. Irvine can go as well he's been a disappointment and not had the impact we were hoping for. I feel we really missed out on Mcrorie.

A clearance would be stupidity so won't happen.
    Unfortunately we could now be out of Europe by the time the league season starts at the end of July so we won't need to be stocking up a big squad early for that now.

I suspect the new winger Mackay was brought in early because the club know Boyle will be leaving. One other player may be sold and the money for both will finance 3-4 new starters. Stephen McGinn and Marciano won't return and SDG will only play for Hibs in circumstances such as he played this season.

We don't know if Irvine will be here next season but we have a massive number of midfielders to add to the current team and new players can't come in unless others leave. Hopefully after a good pre season the fringe midfielders almost all of whom were coming back this season from bad injuries will step up.
    That's Cadden, Magennis, Wright, Allan, Mallan, Mackie and even Murphy. That is a big chunk of midfielders so again no ins for midfield without outs.

The young guys including Gullan and Murray will also return to pre season for assessment.

In conclusion no clearance but expecting a handful of outs and 3 good starters in over the summer.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-05-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Absolutely not.

A few players to strengthed the squad, a real quality forward and midfielder, and replace whoever leaves.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    A clear out is the last thing we need. We have a great foundation to build on.
    Voice of reason.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member
    Do we need a clearout? No The league table doesn't lie.

We do however seriously need to strengthen the midfield, we have got away with it over the season with the form of Doige Nisbet and Boyle, but to give them the service they need we have to go for players of the ilk of Campbell Motherwell, or even Power Kilmarnock IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post

We do however seriously need to strengthen the midfield, we have got away with it over the season with the form of Doige Nisbet and Boyle, but to give them the service they need we have to go for players of the ilk of Campbell Motherwell, or even Power Kilmarnock IMO
    Power was 33 in January so that ship has sailed

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Power was 33 in January so that ship has sailed
    Very true but he is the type of player we really could have done with on Saturday and depending on the result tonight he could be available, we would probably not get any more than a season out of him still worth a one year contract IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    We need to cash in our chips and rebuild.
    Have not seen as passion-less performance since Matt Doherty pulled on a shirt for us.

Invest in young hungry kids and use McGregor, lewis and Grey to mentor them. The rest can all get their dream move down south, to the back-passers paradise. Entice some hungry promising raw young players with European football and rebuild.

I still like the look of Booth and know he wasn't in a good space for a few years, but he reminded me what we are missing. Not suggesting we bid for him though.

We need hunger back in this squad, simple as that!
    When I read the thread topic, I though "what a load of ****". However, I kind of get what you mean Spike.

For me, and I've thought this for a while, we've a midfield that lacks energy and creativity when playing the better more organised teams. It's okay when we're playing against teams that gives our players space (I include Celtic and The Rangers in those teams), but we struggle against teams like St. Johnstone and the Hertz.

On Saturday, and in other games, Newell lacked any urgency to break forward, instead playing the ball back or sideways, or to run back to plug gaps - don't get me wrong, I like Newell but he needs to be better than Saturday. The same can be said for many of our central midfield players and I include Halberg, Mallan and Irvine in that group. They neither drive our team forward nor are able to impose themselves on a stuffy midfield. A fit Allan could have made a difference, but he's not getting any younger

I'm happy with our defence and I'm happy with our attack, but we need a clear-out in midfield. I think that Halberg, Mallan and Irvine will be away anyway, so it's going to happen. We just need to make sure that they are replaced by the young and energetic individuals that you mention.

No clear out needed.

But previously i was hesitant about selling Porto and Doig but after Saturdays performance by the team it wont make much difference if they go.

Very true but he is the type of player we really could have done with on Saturday and depending on the result tonight he could be available, we would probably not get any more than a season out of him still worth a one year contract IMO.
    Just bear in mind he's playing for his team tonight in the relegation play off. I think we need to aim higher, Campbell is aiming a lot higher.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    Agreed. There's Cadden to come back too. I will be happy if we pull in a few million for the players mentioned and start by bringing in Griffiths - tin hat on - and Jason Kerr. (Added bonus is he is a big Hibbie).

The performance on Saturday was so bad it was almost surreal, I cannot fathom what the hell went on inside the manager and players heads.

But it's gone now and though it will hurt for a while yet, life goes on. It is what it is. I think the bones have been picked dry, we have to move on.

I agree on paper, Kerr looks like he would be a decent signing for us. However, we've been down this road so many times and very rarely do players show the same form at Hibs as they do their current clubs. Look at Halkett for the puddle drinkers. Looked a player at livi and now looks like a right huddy.

He is one of only 4 players that Kilmarnock currently have under contract for next season so they will want to hold on to him tightly.

Starting with the manager

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No clear out needed. People will leave , and where we can , we should try to replace with as good, or better. Over the period of the season , Aberdeen will be the competition for us again for third. If we can stay ahead of them , we can kick on and achieve third next year again. That has to be the target for next season.

Baring in mind we'll have Cadden, Allan, Mallan back in the squad next season I think we are looking a strong bet for 3rd again next season. Might be a few leaving (including Mallan) but one or two players inward and we'll be fine. Said on another thread that Jack Ross will now know who doesn't have the character to play in games like Saturday.

I have a feeling Allan will be away unfortunately he isn’t a Jack Ross type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    No clear out needed. People will leave , and where we can , we should try to replace with as good, or better. Over the period of the season , Aberdeen will be the competition for us again for third. If we can stay ahead of them , we can kick on and achieve third next year again. That has to be the target for next season.
    All depends on ins and outs but as things stand Hibs are favourites for 3rd.
    Gallagher will be an improvement at the back for Aberdeen but Brown and JET for different reasons won't be the answer.
    They have a few decent young players that they blooded towards the end of the season and they might improve things when mixed with the new players.
    As ever time will tell but as things stand Glass doesn't fill me with confidence so they will be looking at 4th again.

Definite keep:

Macey
    Doidge
    Doig
    Stevenson
    Hanlon
    McGregor
    Cadden
    Gogic
    McGinn
    Allan - hopefully a good pre-season will see him right.
    Murphy
    Magennis
    Gullan

Cash in on

Boyle
    Nisbet
    Porteous
    Doig - if the offer is very good, circa £4million.

Meh

Newall - doesn't do what he has done nearly often enough
    Hallberg - failed to hold down regular spot
    Mallan - ditto Hallberg
    Irvine - I haven't seen anything like enough from him, hes had time to show it too, certainly not worth breaking the bank for.

So out of my 'keepers' I've got a team of (442 diamond):

Macey
    Cadden/McGinn McGregor Hanlon Doig/Stevenson
    Gogic
    Magennis Murphy
    Allan
    Doidge Gullan

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    I have a feeling Allan will be away unfortunately he isn’t a Jack Ross type of player.
    Yeah. A skilful playmaker.

@hibs.net private member
    No clearout for me. The foundation is good and I think this season, in terms of signings, was about getting in quality players who would either bring in some cash on resell or provide the backbone of the squad for the next few years. That was achieved for me.

Our big problem this year was drive and goals from the middle of the park and cover for our front two. Irvine was close to being the drive and goals and he could easily have got 8-10 goals given the chances he missed. I'd be fine if we could get him as long as he was not too expensive and I would get another midfielder who has legs. Another two strikers needed for me. Having only two central strikers was always going to be a stupid decision and losing 1-0 in a Cup Final with no striker to through on is ridiculous for a club of our size.