hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next season.

The problem Ross now has he will never get as big a chance to win two cups in a season.

Think there will be a fair few changes in the team too. As there should be after that final.
    Cougars!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem Ross now has he will never get as big a chance to win two cups in a season.

Think there will be a fair few changes in the team too. As there should be after that final.
    I’ve said this on another thread - it’s like he’s nearly over achieved this season and that opportunity won’t come again.

He’s definitely under pressure to convince many that he has learnt from this season but many fans frustrations are coming from the lack of learning playing Saints several times and the same outcome doing the same thing - hence the warning signs.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I would be delighted to be 5th and win both cups, maybe thats just me.....................
    This !

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I would be delighted to be 5th and win both cups, maybe thats just me.....................
    No, not just you. Everyone would like that.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    I’ve said this on another thread - it’s like he’s nearly over achieved this season and that opportunity won’t come again.

He’s definitely under pressure to convince many that he has learnt from this season but many fans frustrations are coming from the lack of learning playing Saints several times and the same outcome doing the same thing - hence the warning signs.
    I suppose this really comes back to who we’ve played.

In the league there’s not a lot of argument to be had. We’ve done well.

In the cups though we’ve faced nobody of note and ended up being defeated by St Johnstone twice and lower league Hearts when it really mattered. The St J games in particular being humiliations. That isn’t over achieving to me. If anything getting 3 opportunities in cups where you’ve reached Hampden and blowing them all whilst favourites is under achieving.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    “A good cup run”. I don’t understand why people at the start of a season would accept a scenario that means we lose a semi final or a final.

Winning a cup would be a successful season.
    Finishing 3rd is reasonable next season, but I’d hardly be calling it a ‘success’.

The mentality at the club needs to change. Mediocrity is accepted. Look at this seeson, 3rd place is celebrated like it’s some miracle that’s been achieved. It should be the norm.
    Do you think we should win the Champions League?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

In the cups though we’ve faced nobody of note and ended up being defeated by St Johnstone twice and lower league Hearts when it really mattered. The St J games in particular being humiliations. That isn’t over achieving to me. If anything getting 3 opportunities in cups where you’ve reached Hampden and blowing them all whilst favourites is under achieving.
    We just pretending Motherwell and Dundee United games never happened?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    “A good cup run”. I don’t understand why people at the start of a season would accept a scenario that means we lose a semi final or a final.

Winning a cup would be a successful season.
    Finishing 3rd is reasonable next season, but I’d hardly be calling it a ‘success’.

The mentality at the club needs to change. Mediocrity is accepted. Look at this seeson, 3rd place is celebrated like it’s some miracle that’s been achieved. It should be the norm.
    It should be the norm but it isn’t - you need to start somewhere but it sounds like you don’t want to and for us just to focus on the cups.

That’s fine like - set it out clearly and don’t complain when we’re in the bottom 6 though cos all eyes are on the cups. Use the league games as warm ups for the next cup match.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Getting beat 1-0 in the final against St Johnstone is hardly a humiliation. They won another cup and put out der der Hun on the way to the final. Cup games are a momentary snap shot of form on any one particular day, the only true measure of how good or bad a team is, is their league position at the end of the season. Hibs have proven themselves to be the 3rd best team in Scotland this year, how anyone can see that as anything other than a success goes beyond my imagination and firing a manager for not winning a cup is ludicrous, if that was the deciding factor of whether a Hibs manager keeps his job or not, then we'd have had well over a hundred managers since 1902.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We just pretending Motherwell and Dundee United games never happened?
    Beating 2 bottom six sides, one on penalties, isn’t anything worth shouting from the rooftops about IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Getting beat 1-0 in the final against St Johnstone is hardly a humiliation. They won another cup and put out der der Hun on the way to the final. Cup games are a momentary snap shot of form on any one particular day, the only true measure of how good or bad a team is, is their league position at the end of the season. Hibs have proven themselves to be the 3rd best team in Scotland this year, how anyone can see that as anything other than a success goes beyond my imagination and firing a manager for not winning a cup is ludicrous, if that was the deciding factor of whether a Hibs manager keeps his job or not, then we'd have had well over a hundred managers since 1902.
    The way we applied (or didn’t apply) ourselves in a national final is the humiliating part, not the result.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Beating 2 bottom six sides, one on penalties, isn’t anything worth shouting from the rooftops about IMO.
    Especially when your 2-0 up in one of them and very nearly chucked it.

The dundee utd semi final was one of the easiest I’ve seen us have in my lifetime. Part due to us playing well on the day and part due to dundee utd being absolutely horrific

League - if we can manage consecutive 3rd place finishes, that would be a great achievement in its own right. Especially since Celtic & Aberdeen will be forced to improve.

Cups - can we make amends for this season? It'll be tough, but the gauntlet is there for the team to go one more.

Europe - as far as we can, it would be massive to progress to the group stages. I don't know how likely that will be, as I think the general quality of teams in the conference league is lower, but there will still be some very good teams we could draw.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The way we applied (or didn’t apply) ourselves in a national final is the humiliating part, not the result.
    So no credit to St Johnstone for not allowing Hibs to play their game? St Johnstone fans looking in here must be laughing at the arrogance of our support. We're starting to sound like entitled Yams.

So no credit to St Johnstone for not allowing Hibs to play their game? St Johnstone fans looking in here must be laughing at the arrogance of our support. We're starting to sound like entitled Yams.
    I don’t care about St Johnstone. I care about the way we applied ourselves in a national cup final. If we just played poorly, I could deal with that, it happens. They wanted it far more than us. Our players weren’t interested in doing the basic things you need to do win a game of football.

The arrogance of our players, thinking they didn’t need to try, is far more of an issue than the arrogance of our support.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 24-05-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Here is the paradox of this season, if we had not got into a final we would not be feeling the way we do....we would be celebrating 3rd and debating what we could do next season. We did though, we were in the last 4 in two cups with no OF, Aberdeen or Hearts....insulting to say the double was there for the taking but our exits were so meek, like we were just happy to be there for a kick about. St J didn't have to play well on Saturday, they hardly had to play at all.....we could have played until midnight and not had a clear opportunity let alone scored. Chances like this season are unique and will never happen again.....no one will remember or even care who finished 3rd in 2021....St J however made history.....that could have been us.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    the fact is we have seemingly learned nothing from our previous games against them.

that final on Saturday was remarkably similar to the LC semi. We squandered a great chance, they put theirs away. Game over, we never looked like coming back. We could have had no complaints if it was another 3-0, as well as the penalty they looked dangerous every single time they attacked us in the second half.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Not shouting about it, just acknowledging it happened and not pretending that playing Premiership opposition isn’t a tough tie.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Especially when your 2-0 up in one of them and very nearly chucked it.

The dundee utd semi final was one of the easiest I’ve seen us have in my lifetime. Part due to us playing well on the day and part due to dundee utd being absolutely horrific
    I don’t understand the rush to demean the team’s positive results.

It’s actually pathetic.

It’s actually pathetic.
    Define pathetic.

Is it demeaning or is it being realistic? Were dundee utd good? We won the game and didn’t even have to come out of 2nd gear. Was it one of the least competitive semi finals you’ve ever seen us having?

I was shouting pretty loudly when we beat a championship side in the 2007 cup semi. Or a championship side in the 2016 final.

Couldn't give a ***** who we beat, or how we do it, in cup ties.

It’s actually pathetic.
    I personally think the good cup runs are being held up as some sort of great achievement. Looking at who we played, I don’t think they were.

We beat teams we should beat and eventually lost to teams we should beat. I don’t see anything in these cup runs that are great cause for celebration or pats on the back, the closest was the Dundee Utd game but they’re terrible so even then, no, I’m not seeing it as a great achievement to get past them.

It’s actually pathetic.
    I actually.

So many genuine reasons to have a go at Hibs right now. Bizarre to start downplaying the good ones and making stuff up.

I personally think the good cup runs are being held up as some sort of great achievement. Looking at who we played, I don’t think they were.

We beat teams we should beat and eventually lost to teams we should beat. I don’t see anything in these cup runs that are great cause for celebration or pats on the back, the closest was the Dundee Utd game but they’re terrible so even then, no, I’m not seeing it as a great achievement to get past them.
    Do you look back at 2004 as a great cup run? We beat much better sides than in 2016? Was 2004 a better achivement?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I was shouting pretty loudly when we beat a championship side in the 2007 cup semi. Or a championship side in the 2016 final.

Couldn't give a ***** who we beat, or how we do it, in cup ties.
    No but if you’re reviewing how the season went, heralding cup runs as a sign for success when we only played the ***** it stretching it IMO.

Ross will rightly get praise for finishing 3rd. We’ve built the 3rd best team in the country so he can take all the praise in the world for that.

The cup runs though? Nah, sorry, not for me, we got very very fortunate with the last 3 cup draws and were unable to take advantage of them. Beating two bottom 6 sides doesn’t change anything for me.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Do you look back at 2004 as a great cup run? We beat much better sides than in 2016? Was 2004 a better achivement?
    2004 was a good cup run. I still can’t look back on it with anything other than disappointment mind you

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    2004 was a good cup run. I still can’t look back on it with anything other than disappointment mind you
    This.

Which is why I can never understand defining a successful season as reaching a semi final or a final because you’ll always look back on them as a disappointment.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This.

Which is why I can never understand defining a successful season as reaching a semi final or a final because you’ll always look back on them as a disappointment.
    defining it / measuring it on the league table is the fairest way all round.