No, we're not signing him. The shocking statistic is he ended up our joint highest scoring midfield player in the league this season. Newell, Gogic, Murphy, Irvine, Hallberg, Wright, Cadden, Mallan & Allan started 128 league games, 177 appearances in total & scored 5 goals. Statistically Stephen McGinn was our best scoring midfielder with 1 goal in 5 sub appearances!
Sorry to start yet another depressing thread but I'm fed up with seeing the usual suspects, Hanlon & Porteous being pilloried on social media. The fact is our defence had our best top league record for 20 years, 3 of the 4 were called up by Scotland & the 4th won young national POTY. Our midfield don't score, as above & unfortunately they rarely create chances either. This results in the defence continually going long (& we scored against Sheep & Dundee Utd recently in that manner).
I know the above is simplistic & it can be argued that the midfield contribute to the defensive record & that they also allow us to play a front 3. If we want more creativity however, a la Scott Allan, then we probably need to make sacrifices elsewhere. Either play a back 3 or a front 2 or 1. That for me is the conundrum that JR needs to resolve for next season, unfortunately he failed on that count yesterday.