hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Why why why

First Team Breakthrough

Why why why

Why when you are on the last minute of normal time you have a corner you have a goalkeeper who is 6 ft 7 inches and you don't think to send the keeper up for the corner, unbelievable

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Delilah.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delilah.
    Mon the Hibs.

Oh yeah every tall person is a great at heading the ball, I mean they must practice attacking headers all the time being a goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    Why when you are on the last minute of normal time you have a corner you have a goalkeeper who is 6 ft 7 inches and you don't think to send the keeper up for the corner, unbelievable
    That’s definitely why we lost this game.
    Iout of all the stuff we got wrong today, this is what you take out the game??

Quote Originally Posted by hibIBZ View Post
    Oh yeah every tall person is a great at heading the ball, I mean they must practice attacking headers all the time being a goalie.
    It can add a bit of chaos in the box. Zander Clark missed his header from 2 yards out but his presence had Rangers confused.

I just don’t think Jack Ross is that kind of manager. Stuart Pearce threw David James on up front as a gamble when he needed a goal. Chucking on Daz, SDG up front with 5 to go might’ve given us an opportunity but it’s not the way he is. Worked for St Mirren in their QF. Says he trusts his game plan, players and formations to get results. He doesn’t change players often, sticks to what he trusts and obviously puts a lot of value in player trust and respect. His steady approach probably got us third.

Callum Davidson on the other hand, changes 4 or 5 players every game. Trusts his system and interchanges players of similar ability to carry out instructions.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Even better idea why not stick on an extra striker when we are chasing the game and need a goal

Wait one cotton picking minute No strikers on the bench

Ross out

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Delilah.
    My my my!

I was listening to David Preece talking about this; after the Allison header which has probably guaranteed Liverpool top 4. He made the point that teams don’t practice for this, bearing in mind you’re in this position a few times every season, especially in cups, there should really be a few training sessions where you are at least practicing routines. Especially as nobody seems to be marking the goalie in these scenarios.

Macey had as good a chance of any of them to score based on yesterday’s performance

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I was listening to David Preece talking about this; after the Allison header which has probably guaranteed Liverpool top 4. He made the point that teams don’t practice for this, bearing in mind you’re in this position a few times every season, especially in cups, there should really be a few training sessions where you are at least practicing routines. Especially as nobody seems to be marking the goalie in these scenarios.

Macey had as good a chance of any of them to score based on yesterday’s performance
    In addition to which teams also don’t practice defending against it. Its novelty is its value. But, as you rightly have been repeating, fine margins...

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    My my my!
    Clearly couldn't take any more.

Quote Originally Posted by hibIBZ View Post
    St J don't know that, so fair question. Just to cause some chaos or confusion would at least have been something different. Instead, we got to see the same movie with the whimpering ending.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Clearly couldn't take any more.
    We all know that feeling at the moment

Because our corners are generally rubbish so Macey decided it would be a waste of time and energy jogging all the way up and then having to sprint back again

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Because our corners are generally rubbish so Macey decided it would be a waste of time and energy jogging all the way up and then having to sprint back again
    Newell’s corners are brilliant. We scored a good few goals from Newell’s corners and free kicks.

I’ve been asking the question all season why Boyle took over corners when he can’t seem to beat the first man and Newell can’t shoot from the edge of the box. There must be a reason for it but I’m ****ed if I know what it is.

@hibs.net private member
    Because he had an end of season party to go to and extra-time and penalties would mean less drinking time?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    It can add a bit of chaos in the box. Zander Clark missed his header from 2 yards out but his presence had Rangers confused.

I just don’t think Jack Ross is that kind of manager. Stuart Pearce threw David James on up front as a gamble when he needed a goal. Chucking on Daz, SDG up front with 5 to go might’ve given us an opportunity but it’s not the way he is. Worked for St Mirren in their QF. Says he trusts his game plan, players and formations to get results. He doesn’t change players often, sticks to what he trusts and obviously puts a lot of value in player trust and respect. His steady approach probably got us third.

Callum Davidson on the other hand, changes 4 or 5 players every game. Trusts his system and interchanges players of similar ability to carry out instructions.
    Stuart Pearce was a ***** manager.

Stuart Pearce had John Macken, a striker on the bench when he did that, and it cost Man City a Europa league place. It was incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Stuart Pearce had John Macken, a striker on the bench when he did that, and it cost Man City a Europa league place. It was incredibly stupid.
    I’m not saying either is right or wrong, I’m just saying there are types of managers and Jack Ross isn’t the type to be waving his keeper up or throwing caution to the wind in the last 5.

If I’m being honest, I think his approach will ultimately be the undoing of him but that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with it. I know what Hibs fans are like. His calm exterior regardless of results will turn into a stick to beat him with when things aren’t going well. He’ll be accused of not caring and that will extend to his decisions on subs (which I think he can be too tentative with) and probably his signing policy.

I’m not saying either is right or wrong, I’m just saying there are types of managers and Jack Ross isn’t the type to be waving his keeper up or throwing caution to the wind in the last 5.

If I’m being honest, I think his approach will ultimately be the undoing of him but that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with it. I know what Hibs fans are like. His calm exterior regardless of results will turn into a stick to beat him with when things aren’t going well. He’ll be accused of not caring and that will extend to his decisions on subs (which I think he can be too tentative with) and probably his signing policy.
    Jack Ross is safe and cautious.

He ducked out of the big decisions re team selection and stuck with what appeared to be comfy, cosy and familiar. It wasn’t the only thing that cost us yesterday but it set the tone.

I reckon he might be a decent pair of hands for a crisis club, where a ship needs steadied. He did that at St Mirren, he arguably did that at Sunderland and you could argue he did that with us, considering where we were when he took over.

We are (or were) a club looking to step up a level, having already been steadied - to move onto winning trophies or getting a reasonable number of European games per season. That ship has sailed for now, and an argument could be made that we’ll never get a better opportunity, that’s why we’re all hurting so much right now.

In reality, next season will be another opportunity to grow and build but we’ll have tougher competition.

I don’t see next season bringing much more than a battle to finish top six and more disappointment in big games.

Getting rid of Ross would be ridiculous really, but I just don’t see him improving on his and our weaknesses.

In fairness to him - next season should be the one he really gets judged on. He steadied us and did well first season. This covid affected season has been plain weird and on paper the results, stats and achievement should be considered acceptable (whilst taking the emotion out of it).

Next season though - derby record to consider. Aberdeen are having an overhaul. St Johnstone have the chance to start a season the way they’ve finished this one. Some stout competition probably, and 3rd place with all of that in there would undoubtedly be an achievement.

At this stage I just don’t think he has what it takes to get beyond mid table and will only threaten cup competitions if we get very favourable draws again.

Up to him to prove us wrong, but to do so he’s going to need to take tough decisions and a few more risks.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-05-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Mark Oxley should never have been let go. A proven goalscorer at Hibs he could have scored the equaliser yesterday for sure, maybe.