hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We have been in a lot of finals and semis in last 10 years . Yesterday was our 4th SC final in 10 years - only Celtic can better that I`d imagine . Even in the 70s we only got to 2 SC finals .
    Obviously we`ve lost a lot of finals in both cups but in LC we won the 2 ( Dunfermline and Killie ) when we were favourites ( Livi were higher in league than us and Ross County a division higher ) and in SC yesterday was probably the first time in last 50 years ( finals of 72 , 79 , 01 , 12 , 13 , 16 , 21 ) that many considered us to be favourites ( many didn`t - I certainly wasn`t expecting us to win yesterday ) . So not a great cup final record but not as bad a cup record in last decade especially as people might think .

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plenty worse teams out there that never win anything, try supporting them if you want.

At least we do manage to win things and sometimes are great to watch.

I'm not sure many fans get the feeling we had on 21st May 2016 either, it was completely unique and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't enjoy losing but I understand where we are in the bigger picture of football.
    This is another good point. The fans of the majority of clubs never see their team reach a major final. It can be difficult for us, but imagine supporting a club that has spent its entire history in the lower divisions, never even seeing top flight football. In many senses we are very lucky, but of course it doesn't feel like it following another Hampden defeat.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Maybe for Hibs the Scottish Cup is like the Faery Flag (which resides in Dunvegan Castle and can only be used 3 times ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We have been in 15 Scottish cup finals winning 3. A 20% win rate, pretty shocking.

In contrast Hearts and Aberdeen have both beeen in 16 Scottish cup finals winning 8 and 7 respectively. About a 50% win rate which you would kind of expect, all things being equal.

Can’t really explain our win rate except to say that’s sport and luck. Kilmarnock have won 3 cup finals in only 5 attempts ffs.
    Aye but we have got a good derby record,,,,aw naw wait the now. We are an absolute disgrace of a football club. How the fu** have we a huge fanbase?

Quote Originally Posted by StockholmHibs View Post
    Aye but we have got a good derby record,,,,aw naw wait the now. We are an absolute disgrace of a football club. How the fu** have we a huge fanbase?
    Like all clubs, it's passed down through families. I've blamed my old man for many bad defeats. I wouldn't have to deal with it but for him

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Plenty worse teams out there that never win anything, try supporting them if you want.

At least we do manage to win things and sometimes are great to watch.

I'm not sure many fans get the feeling we had on 21st May 2016 either, it was completely unique and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't enjoy losing but I understand where we are in the bigger picture of football.
    Outbreak of common sense on Hibs.net the day after a cup final defeat?

Surely not!

FWIW I totally agree. You can either curse your luck that Hibs always show potential but c0ck it up on the big occasion, or remember that We’re lucky enough to be knocking on the door more often than not.

The statistics are terrible, and Current final defeats are painful. But they also show that we’ll probably be back soon.

GGTTH

The tricky part is setting up for a fall.

You want to be confident and positive but there is also something about realising that at times we are nearly actually the under dogs.

It’s the same with the Derby - if we actually used that to spur us on we actually be more successful in these games.

I sometimes think nearly over confidence or weak mindset leads to a loss or poor performance.

If I was Hibs recruitment a strong mindset is one of the most important areas I would look at when adding players.

Another statistic that can’t be overlooked, and was mentioned by Kevin Nisbet last week (either seriously or jokingly) is the “Hibs score first, we’ll win”.
    Absolutely true - pretty much!!
    In all cup finals in my lifetime from ‘58 onwards, mostly mentioned previously, we win finals when we score first - fact. OK - one exception - the 79 final we scored first in was the 2nd replay and lost but at least it was a Hibs player who scored the winner.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Another statistic that can’t be overlooked, and was mentioned by Kevin Nisbet last week (either seriously or jokingly) is the “Hibs score first, we’ll win”.
    Absolutely true - pretty much!!
    In all cup finals in my lifetime from ‘58 onwards, mostly mentioned previously, we win finals when we score first - fact. OK - one exception - the 79 final we scored first in was the 2nd replay and lost but at least it was a Hibs player who scored the winner.
    Not just cup finals this season. Only twice have we came back to win (Alloa & Ross County). And is exactly what I expected on Saturday as well, score first and we will win

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Being of an analytical mindset, thought I would look at our cup final trends. It's depressing, but as is often stated "Past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Since our cup final win in 1973 we lose three cups finals that we play, winning the 4th. Sad to say, but we may have to have another two days like yesterday before we win the next!!! Also, we win a Scottish Cup once in every century!!! And we win a League Cup once after every two losses!!!

Both competitions

1973 LC Win
    1975 LC Loss
    1979 SC Loss
    1986 LC Loss
    1991 LC Win
    1994 LC Loss
    2001 SC Loss
    2004 LC Loss
    2007 LC Win
    2012 SC Loss
    2013 SC Loss
    2016 LC Loss
    2016 SC Win
    2021 SC Loss

It's similarly depressing when you look at our record in each cup.

Scottish Cup, 15 finals, 3 wins, 12 losses including 10 in a row. We win a Scottish Cup once in every century!!! For our record to be symmetrical, we'll win the next final we're at!
    League Cup, 10 finals, 3 wins, 7 losses. We win a League Cup once after every two losses!!!

Scottish Cup

1887 SC Win

1896 SC Loss
    1902 SC Win
    1914 SC Loss
    1923 SC Loss
    1924 SC Loss
    1947 SC Loss
    1958 SC Loss
    1972 SC Loss
    1979 SC Loss
    2001 SC Loss
    2012 SC Loss
    2013 SC Loss
    2016 SC Win
    2021 SC Loss

League Cup

1951 LC Loss
    1969 LC Loss
    1973 LC Win
    1975 LC Loss
    1986 LC Loss
    1991 LC Win
    1994 LC Loss
    2004 LC Loss
    2007 LC Win
    2016 LC Loss
    Was at them all and I was also at the 2 before that 1969 (6-2) and 1972 (6-1) both painful to a young man, but Celtic were consistently one of the top 4 clubs in Europe back then.

Livvy in 2004 was a bad feeling but wasn’t that unexpected as they were spending way off their scale with a strong experienced squad, were above us in the league and we had a lot of youngsters on the park that day.

2012 was obviously the worst ever which I never want to experience again but too had mitigating circumstances - but I’d put Saturdays performance 2nd worst to that. An absolutely disgraceful performance from players and manager which will live long in the memory I’m sure. Still cannot believe how bad our tactics were, how low our motivation was and how pathetic our fight was.

It’ll be a long time before we get any, let alone double chance to win either Cup in those non old firm circumstances again trust me, which St Johnstone have just achieved with a decent squad, great fighting qualities and a manager with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Because I was seduced by the dark side between the ages of 7 and 15 I don't count those years in my personal tale of cup woe. But here's my sad litany of Hibs cup finals since the first one I attended in 1979.

1979 SC ....... Hibs 2 Rangers 3 .... 2nd replay.

1985 LC ....... Hibs 0 Aberdeen 3

1991 LC ....... HIBS 2 DUNFERMLINE 0

1993 LC ....... Hibs 1 Rangers 2

2001 SC ....... Hibs 0 Celtic 3

2004 LC ....... Hibs 0 Livingston 2

2007 LC ....... HIBS 5 KILMARNOCK 1

2012 SC ........Hibs 1 Hearts 5

2013 SC ....... Hibs 0 Celtic 3

2016 LC ....... Hibs 1 Ross County 2

2016 SC ....... HIBS 3 RANGERS 2

2021 SC ....... Hibs 0 St Johnstone 1

12 finals in 40 years with 3 wins and 9 defeats and what makes it worse is that only 4 of those 9 defeats were against the Ugly Sisters, though to be fair the 1985 final was against a very good Aberdeen side who would almost certainly wipe the floor with anything the current Scottish league has to offer.

That's why it's so bloody hard to follow this club. Can there be a club anywhere that takes it's fans to the brink so often and then lets them down? Most fans in the world either follow sides who even if they lose a final will follow it up with success the following season or clubs who might make a final once every 20 years or who never expect to make a final. Hibs are part of a small band of clubs who are regular participants in finals but who are singularly incapable of winning them ... chuck in the fact that for a club of our size we consistently under perform in the league, this season notwithstanding, 3 relegations in that timeand F knows how many semi final disappointments and it's a sodding hard shift being a Hibby at times
    Same miserable record as me. St Johnstone done more in last 7 years than we have seen in our lifetimes.

The most let down support in Scottish Football history surely

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Guessing the likes of East Stirling and Albion Rovers might have had it a wee bit worse.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Guessing the likes of East Stirling and Albion Rovers might have had it a wee bit worse.
    Hmm I wouldn’t think so. We’d have been better getting best from QOTS rather than another failure to be ridiculed with

Hmm I wouldn’t think so. We’d have been better getting best from QOTS rather than another failure to be ridiculed with
    Not in a million years.

Not in a million years.
    Absolutely correct, flash. Most Scottish clubs would kill to be in our position.

72 & 74 The league cup finals were. Sorry I'm a bit OCD with dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    72 & 74 The league cup finals were. Sorry I'm a bit OCD with dates.
    Oh, I see that there are other dates where you are saying it's the following year as in 1972/73 or 1993/94 season. Right ok, got it.

Just realised it looks like I`m talking to masel` - its over 60 years supporting Hibs what`s done it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    Just realised it looks like I`m talking to masel` - its over 60 years supporting Hibs what`s done it !!
    To be fair, it could be worse. Over sixty years supporting Hibs would have had anyone else in a straitjacket.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This, this and this.

Though with number 3 it has to be said some folk are into whips & chains and enjoy a good spanking .... Hibs are the dominatrix of European football ... time for a badge change
    I don’t know. Hibs appear to be versatile in the bedroom. They’re very good at taking spankings too

Coaching Staff
    In my lifetime Hibs have made the Scottish Cup Final 8 times, with a score of
    1 win and 7 losses.

Thankfully I wasn’t born a few years earlier or it would have been 1 win and 8 losses.

Alternatively, has there ever been a better time to be a Hibs fan?

Winning regularly in the league (in the top division), regular trips to Hampden for Cup semi finals and finals, young home grown players coming through and breaking into the first team, a manager recently linked with the Celtic job, a new Chairman with loads of money etc.

What else do Hibs fans want? Apart from actually being able to go to the games.

Hibs don't have any divine right to beat anyone - there is a massive sense of entitlement on this website, which I don't think is reflective of the Hibs support. If you didn't enjoy the Cup run, then why are you a football fan?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Winning regularly in the league (in the top division), regular trips to Hampden for Cup semi finals and finals, young home grown players coming through and breaking into the first team, a manager recently linked with the Celtic job, a new Chairman with loads of money etc.

Hibs don't have any divine right to beat anyone - there is a massive sense of entitlement on this website, which I don't think is reflective of the Hibs support. If you didn't enjoy the Cup run, then why are you a football fan?
    some fair points.

I do however think that the least we have a right to expect is that our team turns up for more than a couple out of every ten big games.

Overall the season has been solidly impressive if unspectacular. But that display on Saturday fell well short of most of our standards. Even if it apparently didn’t fall short of Jack Ross’s.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    My nana used to say this years ago, that you are as well losing in round 1 than getting to the final and losing, but id rather get to lots of finals and lose than get pumped in the early stages. You have to be in the final to have a chance, and as 2016 proved, anything is possible, we will win things again and it will be great, we will also get to other finals and lose to teams that are eye bleeding to watch.

No chance. I've seen Hibs win 2 cups. My dad has seen us win 4. Plenty of fans go their entire life without even seeing their team win 1.

Saturday was a big missed chance but we aren't suddenly some fodder club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's a good comparison: at times being a Hibs fan feels like an abusive relationship. You keep giving them one more chance, but they never change.

Why is that? The players, managers, coaching staff and club officials are endlessly changing yet our record in the finals of domestic cup competitions is, as the orignal post shows, almost beyond logical understanding. 25 finals and 19 defeats!?! Fair enough if we were playing Celtic or Rangers in all those games but that was far from the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Seen the thing about entitlement cropping up a few times. As regards the weekend I couldn’t disagree more. Always knew there was a chance we could lose the game. But in that manner? I don’t think it’s being entitled to expect your team to give their all in a cup final and ours didn’t.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I'm glad of our history up to 2016, because that day was all the sweeter for it, to the point that very few fans of other teams will experience something that would come even close. Since then, however, it's been disappointing that we've missed opportunities. I have faith that we'll come good sooner rather than later.

First Team Breakthrough
    You could look on the brighter side, some of the teams that have made it to finals have been fairly crap. Our record for getting to semi finals is amazing, given our league positions in those years.