hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Players leaving in the summer

I don’t know if for players like Nisbet, Boyle, Porteous and Doig if their performances today were based on the pressure of a cup final or because they’re instead focusing on summer moves, but are we better keeping players that look like they don’t want to be here anymore or allow them to move on to fund a whole team rebuild

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by C_hendo04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t know if for players like Nisbet, Boyle, Porteous and Doig if their performances today were based on the pressure of a cup final or because they’re instead focusing on summer moves, but are we better keeping players that look like they don’t want to be here anymore or allow them to move on to fund a whole team rebuild
    Based on today we will be left with one goalkeeper, David Gray, Lewis and Daz then 🤣

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    If offers are reasonable then sell. Problem at Hibs is we, and the media, build them up too much - helps us get more money (maybe) but also makes us think we have a great team when it is likely average.

Porteous is the next Maldini, Doig is the next Robertson or Tierney, and Nisbet...you get the picture.

In truth, they are alright. Boyle won the SC on the bench and the rest haven't won anything meaningful in senior football (as far as I'm aware).

Maybe not a positive but after today how many clubs would be interested in the 4 players you mention ?

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Maybe not a positive but after today how many clubs would be interested in the 4 players you mention ?
    Apparently Doig has already wrapped up his move to Watford for £4m and on a wage of £20k a week, the fact that Boyle has a buyout clause of £500k is apparently interesting a number of Chinese teams who are interested in him as he is an Australian international which normally has no trouble selling shirts over there and since Australia “technically” counts as Asia the wage cap won’t affecthim, and for Nisbet and Porteous I’m sure a couple of championship team will probably reignite their interest.

Apparently Doig has already wrapped up his move to Watford for £4m and on a wage of £20k a week, the fact that Boyle has a buyout clause of £500k is apparently interesting a number of Chinese teams who are interested in him as he is an Australian international which normally has no trouble selling shirts over there and since Australia “technically” counts as Asia the wage cap won’t affecthim, and for Nisbet and Porteous I’m sure a couple of championship team will probably reignite their interest.
    Where is this Doig being sold for 4 million and 20k a week coming from?

I actually thought Doig was okay today ( apart from at goal ) . Strangely , I thought our three best outfield players were the ones who were substituted - Newell , Doig and Gogic .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I actually thought Doig was okay today ( apart from at goal ) . Strangely , I thought our three best outfield players were the ones who were substituted - Newell , Doig and Gogic .
    Thought Doig was really unfortunate to be in that position at the goal. That should have been Hanlon in there, where was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Where is this Doig being sold for 4 million and 20k a week coming from?
    https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/spor...atest-20641256

Can’t remember exactly where I read the 20k a week

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Thought Doig was really unfortunate to be in that position at the goal. That should have been Hanlon in there, where was he?
    Doig was marking him so maybe he said that to Hanlon. It was a good ball from Spoony and Doig was in the best position to defend it. He failed big style but then Rooney has done very well with that type of ball all season. I'd rather Stevenson had played and although I think Rooney would still have won the ball he wouldn't have ended up with essentially a free header. Far more than Doig to blame for the goal though.

I'd bite your hand off if someone offered 4M for Doig at this stage. He looks very good going forward but the end product has been poor for months. He will get better though and seems to have enough potential for a club down south to take a punt on him

£4 million for Doig is fantasy 😳😂

There is not one player I would be sad to see leave. Not to suggest there are not more than a few I would keep. The simple things is none are a standout that could not be replaced by players from Killie Motherwell Dun Utd etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    £4 million for Doig is fantasy 😳😂

There is not one player I would be sad to see leave. Not to suggest there are not more than a few I would keep. The simple things is none are a standout that could not be replaced by players from Killie Motherwell Dun Utd etc
    Despite their pathetic performances today, I disagree that we could ship out our key players and replace them with players from teams, well below us in the league. Who are these standout players from the teams you mention?

No chance. Rooney is their right back. That is Doigs fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Despite their pathetic performances today, I disagree that we could ship out our key players and replace them with players from teams, well below us in the league. Who are these standout players from the teams you mention?
    I could pick 11 players from teams out with the top six that could match our first 11 you have 120 players to pick from many of them internationals.

FFS St j have just beat us for the fourth time without conceding a goal. We are not world beaters.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d like to see us cash in on Porteous and Nisbet, keep Doig one more year and keep Boyle the length of his contract.
    Last edited by H18 SFR; 23-05-2021 at 10:25 AM.

It might be a bit irrational, but I’d happily accept a good offer for any of them after yesterday. To turn up to a cup final and apply themselves the way they did, I don’t care about seeing any of them in a Hibs top ever again.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Vere View Post
    Good point
    Its a terrible point. In what planet does a centre back have to go out and defend the opposition right back? That is 100% Doigs man. He blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It might be a bit irrational, but I’d happily accept a good offer for any of them after yesterday. To turn up to a cup final and apply themselves the way they did, I don’t care about seeing any of them in a Hibs top ever again.
    Just a tad irrational mate!
    The more I think about it the more I think they were asked to play a formation that was just never going to work. Not to say they couldn’t have performed better but square leg round hole etc.
    I’d like to see Porteous away and though I think Nisbet has quality I don’t think he’s committed to Hibs, so should go as well.
    Keep Boyle. And if we can get close to £4m for Doig, good luck to him.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Its a terrible point. In what planet does a centre back have to go out and defend the opposition right back? That is 100% Doigs man. He blew it.
    Of course it was Doig’s man. Anyone failing to understand that either knows nothing about football or is taking the piss.

Football fundamentals. The kind of thing you teach primary school kids.

There was a complete height mismatch Hanlion should have been aware of the back post situation and been there with Doig. They had two and three players in Boyle the whole match. Rooney was always going to be a back post threat.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Doig takes some blame but the attempts to stop the cross were worse for me.

There was a complete height mismatch Hamlin should have been aware of the back post situation and been there with Doig. They had two and three players in Boyle the whole match. Rooney was always going to be a back post threat.
    Doig is 6ft plus, not 5 ft7. His defending was pathetic. Nowt to do with Hanlon.

There was a complete height mismatch Hanlion should have been aware of the back post situation and been there with Doig. They had two and three players in Boyle the whole match. Rooney was always going to be a back post threat.
    Hanlon is shorter than Doig?

Zero to do with Hanlon. Doig is 1 inch shorter than Rooney. He just ****ed it, simple as.

I might be wrong but Doig can’t be far off or is already the same height as Hanlon?

Doig is very tall for a wing back but unfortunately is still scrawny.

Rooney is a unit and was coming onto the ball whereas Doig was flat footed, there was no always going to be one winner.

I wouldn’t even put a huge amount of blame of Doig as they clearly saw it as a mismatch which they exploited.

I’m more angry at Boyle’s attempt of the tackle and then Gogic completely selling himself, albeit he was covering someone else’s mistake and was still 10 yards away from the ball.

I don’t think he “blew it”. Rooney getting a run on it beats every LB I’ve seen play for Hibs with the possible exception of Ulrik Laursen.

Any issues with the goal from a Hibs point of view come from the events leading cross coming in in the first place.

Just a tad irrational mate!
    The more I think about it the more I think they were asked to play a formation that was just never going to work. Not to say they couldn’t have performed better but square leg round hole etc.
    I’d like to see Porteous away and though I think Nisbet has quality I don’t think he’s committed to Hibs, so should go as well.
    Keep Boyle. And if we can get close to £4m for Doig, good luck to him.
    Can talk about tactics and so on. But there are some fundamental things you need to do in a game of football that we showed no desire to do. We didn’t compete for second balls, we didn’t show the same desire to keep the ball out the net that they did, our midfielders didn’t want to pass the ball forward. Their striker threw Hanlon and Porteous about. Kicked them, fouled them and basically worked his balls off for his team. Can our two say they did similar? I know we all want to see quality on the ball but you have to do all those other simple things first and we weren’t interested in doing them IMO.

I’m critical of Ross but the attitude of the players was absolutely stinking IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don’t think he “blew it”. Rooney getting a run on it beats every LB I’ve seen play for Hibs with the possible exception of Ulrik Laursen.

Any issues with the goal from a Hibs point of view come from the events leading cross coming in in the first place.
    Agreed, not sure what else Doig could have done really. Once a cross like that is allowed to come in to your box you’re in trouble, no matter who is at left back

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I might be wrong but Doig can’t be far off or is already the same height as Hanlon?

Doig is very tall for a wing back but unfortunately is still scrawny.

Rooney is a unit and was coming onto the ball whereas Doig was flat footed, there was no always going to be one winner.

I wouldn’t even put a huge amount of blame of Doig as they clearly saw it as a mismatch which they exploited.

I’m more angry at Boyle’s attempt of the tackle and then Gogic completely selling himself, albeit he was covering someone else’s mistake and was still 10 yards away from the ball.
    Hanlon is 5’11. Doig is 6’1.

Lewy Stevenson is 5’7 and he would have defended the goal better, because he knows how to defend. Doig was like a wee laddie lost yesterday and he defended like one. He’s young, inexperienced and still gas a lot to learn. Understandable given his age, but he was woeful at the goal and for most of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Doig takes some blame but the attempts to stop the cross were worse for me.
    Once the cross come in I don’t think Doidge can do much with the way the boy had the run on him. Events on the other side were a far bigger issue.