hibs.net Messageboard

Why, when we go a goal behind, is it more often than not game over?

For me, the ease with which St Johnstone were able to see the game out today after getting their noses in front was the biggest gripe I have with Jack Ross and his players. It's been a common theme this season that when we go a goal behind we rarely look like taking anything from a game.

I like Jack Ross. Statistically his record at Hibs is very good and where I think he's earned his corn is when we've hit a couple of mini-slumps he's been able to turn things around quickly and get us back to winning ways. That's not been the case with a number of recent managers. However, what he seems to lack is the ability to change his gameplan when we go behind. Even if the tactics don't noticeably change, you'd expect a team chasing the game to show some urgency and dig but in the majority of games where we've lost the first goal the players seem to lack anything like the collective passion required to do anything about it. It's a maddening trait, especially in a game like today with so much at stake.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think it’s because we play counter attacking football.

When the onus is on us to play on the front foot we struggle.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Because we're not technically good enough to break down teams that are solid defensively. Today was always going to be about the first goal for that reason. It wouldn't have suited St Johnstone to have had to come out and attack, but they never needed to.

Our players and manager aren't clever enough to break teams who can actually defend down.

Lack of options also hinders us when we lose the first goal.

Attackers contributed nothing today. Nobody to bring on though.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lack of options also hinders us when we lose the first goal.

Attackers contributed nothing today. Nobody to bring on though.
    Quality over quantity supposedly. Just a pity when the quality you’ve got isn’t enough and you could do with more of it in quantity

From a lack of quality to a lack of real leadership we just lacked everything today in a cup final of all games, Ross has to take the blame we go a goal behind and not often you think ah no worries we will batter them second half, real quality costs more than we can spend, so we need to be smarter, we need a manager who is smarter as well, one who can change thinking during a game, I dont see this from the present man.

We have a distinct lack of flair and guile to break a packed defence down.

Murphy actually played very well when he went on imo, he’s one of few players we have who has “got it”.

Our team is rammed with dull plodders though who have little more to offer than long diagonals and fighting for scraps.

Our squad is thin, and whilst I am being critical it is also worth acknowledging the circumstances under which we put this squad together and started this season.

In due course I’d expect to see greater squad depth and more players who can make an impact in the final third.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Statistically, most games in this league are won by the team that scores first. It’s not a unique issue to Hibs.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Statistically, most games in this league are won by the team that scores first. It’s not a unique issue to Hibs.
    We’ve had teams in the past though where you’d feel a bit more confident you’d get something out a game when you’ve lost the first goal.

For a supposedly good team (3rd in the league after all) you just feel we’re done whenever we concede first.

This team feels as unlikely as any we’ve had to get back into a game after losing the first goal.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think it’s because we play counter attacking football.

When the onus is on us to play on the front foot we struggle.
    Exactly this..although today every aspect of our play was diabolical..St Johnstone knew they didnt have to create much..just wait for our mistake, convert then sit back and comfortably defend a one goa lead.

Disgusted with that performance today...it was absolutely *****. Players should be ashamed.

There is no defending our record when we go behind. We’re meant to be better than most other teams in the league.

We hardly ever score when we go behind, never mind come back to get a result.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

There is no defending our record when we go behind. We’re meant to be better than most other teams in the league.

We hardly ever score when we go behind, never mind come back to get a result.
    We don’t go behind that often because we’re a pretty good team, albeit a team who were abysmal today.

We don’t go behind that often because we’re a pretty good team, albeit a team who were abysmal today.
    We go behind plenty, and rarely get anything if we do. It’s happened against St Johnstone 4 times in the last 16 weeks and we’ve not been able to muster a single goal in response.

If we get in front we’re a good team. If we don’t, we’re not.

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    When we appointed Jack Ross, an ex-colleague and season ticket holder at Sunderland, told me ‘Jack Loss’ had no Plan B.

Tonight we exchanged messages, he to is angry at their play-off defeat and his message was ‘Replay the Sunderland v Charlton Play-off Final...no Plan B as i told you and freezes when he is most needed...’

It seems Jack hasn’t learned from past failings and to be honest, I can’t disagree with my mates assessment...we just have no Plan B.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We go behind plenty, and rarely get anything if we do. It’s happened against St Johnstone 4 times in the last 16 weeks and we’ve not been able to muster a single goal in response.

If we get in front we’re a good team. If we don’t, we’re not.
    Not that much. We finished third and got to the latter stages of the cups. If we were going behind that often and never overturning it, that wouldn’t happen.

Not that much. We finished third and got to the latter stages of the cups. If we were going behind that often and never overturning it, that wouldn’t happen.
    We won one game in the league from behind against Ross County.

We also won from behind against the mighty Cove Rangers and Alloa.

Most games we’ve went behind, we couldn’t muster a goal. Our record when going behind is shocking, I don’t see how it can be debated to be honest. Did you ever think we’d get back in to it after we went behind today? It was identical to the game three weeks ago.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We won one game in the league from behind against Ross County.

We also won from behind against the mighty Cove Rangers and Alloa.

Most games we’ve went behind, we couldn’t muster a goal. Our record when going behind is shocking, I don’t see how it can be debated to be honest. Did you ever think we’d get back in to it after we went behind today? It was identical to the game three weeks ago.
    No, the way they have against St Johnstone have gone this season i fully expected the first goal to be the winner.