hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanlon as Captain?

Great servant to the club but is he really captain material?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has had one of his best season and driven the side on many time throughout the season. He is only one man and a good side has lots of leaders. That is probably why we saw such an improvement when Daz came on for those games. Hanlon was terrible today but so was everyone else and it doesn't help having a defensive partner who looks like he might have a brain fart every time the ball gets near him

No , hes a decent player but he's a ***** captain . He should have been booting folks baws after the 1st 10 minutes . Not a peep out of him even after they scored. How he got the arm band is beyond me .
    The only 2 leaders we have were both on the bench .

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Nice guy, sometimes a decent defender. Never a Captain.

Promising Youngster turn and burn's Avatar
    Said it many times before: never a captain in my eyes.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turn and burn View Post
    Said it many times before: never a captain in my eyes.
    Ditto. We needed a captain and one or two other leaders on the field today to crack the whip and get heads up that went down as soon as St Johnstone scored - very visible, quite literally - but sadly such individuals were entirely absent.

Captain`s position has been a problem for us for years Hanlon has been a great servant and continues to be a great player for us . I`m sure he can continue to play regularly for us for another two or three years but I don`t see him as a natural leader and think as a model professional he`s better concentrating on his own game rather than trying to help the rest of the team . Next captain ? Noone at club now . Someone with experience and leadership and still good and fit enough to play most games . I suppose Scott Brown would have been an obvious choice if happy to accept one year captain`s role . Up to our scouting team to look for someone .not many candidates and I wouldn`t even suggest names in case another club got in before us . Would be looking at a veteran in another league who`s still playing at a good level but looking to be a manager .

Who on today's pitch would you have as Captain instead?

Captained us to a higher league finish than anyone else in the squad. I dont think he was to blame today at all. Hes the only one playing who won it last time.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Not a leader. Only one leader at the club. He’s done and was on the bench today.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Paul wasn't at his best today, but he has played very well this season and he was not to blame for that inept performance.

Playing Porteous instead of McGregor was a fatal mistake. Darren's presence makes Paul more assured and Ryan has been shaky of late.

There's a lot of qualities which make a good captain and Paul has many of them. He's perhaps not as vocal or emotional as some would like but a lot of that can be aimed at the Manager too, who sent out a team today which looked completely unprepared for a Cup Final, both tactically and mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Captained us to a higher league finish than anyone else in the squad. I dont think he was to blame today at all. Hes the only one playing who won it last time.
    How many has he lost? How many derbies has he lost? He’s in his prime, played for hibs 15years, got us to 3rd 🤷🏻*♂️ And yet can never get near the Scotland squad or 1 of the 9 picked for the euros. Leaders need something about them, a voice at least ,a presence

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Noone . Hopefulyy next season`s captain will be one of our summer signings allowing hanlon to concentrate on his own game and continuing to be a key player in our team and squad .

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    How many has he lost? How many derbies has he lost? He’s in his prime, played for hibs 15years, got us to 3rd 🤷🏻*♂️ And yet can never get near the Scotland squad or 1 of the 9 picked for the euros. Leaders need something about them, a voice at least ,a presence
    Is Gray in the Scotland squad? Or McGregor? That is irrelevant.

Yes, he has lost finals. 3 Scottish cup finals, 1 league cup final. Michael Ballack lost 3 finals in 2 months once, I'd still take him.

How many derbies has he won? Plenty more than others who''ve played here.

Is Gray in the Scotland squad? Or McGregor? That is irrelevant.

Yes, he has lost finals. 3 Scottish cup finals, 1 league cup final. Michael Ballack lost 3 finals in 2 months once, I'd still take him.

How many derbies has he won? Plenty more than others who''ve played here.
    You are all over the Jack out thread saying 3rd means nothing, brings in money that’s it, it’s been a bitter ending to the season getting beat. Who’s captain?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    He was literally in the Scotland squad this season.

You are all over the Jack out thread saying 3rd means nothing, brings in money that’s it, it’s been a bitter ending to the season getting beat. Who’s captain?
    Hes a quality player, that what I want in my captain. Hanlon was well down the list of issues today.

Folk think Gray being captain won us the cup in 2016, but really it was Stokes turning up, whereas Boyle and Nisbet didnt today.

Hes a quality player, that what I want in my captain. Hanlon was well down the list of issues today.

Folk think Gray being captain won us the cup in 2016, but really it was Stokes turning up, whereas Boyle and Nisbet didnt today.
    Having him as captain in your team is fine, that’s you’re opinion but don’t jump all over people who think he shouldn’t be with irrelevant stats that on other threads you’re making the exact opposite points.

Having him as captain in your team is fine, that’s you’re opinion but don’t jump all over people who think he shouldn’t be with irrelevant stats that on other threads you’re making the exact opposite points.
    Who should be captain?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He was literally in the Scotland squad this season.
    After about 5 injuries. Gary Kenneth material

Who should be captain?
    Mcgregor after that Gogic, that’s the problem with this squad there isn’t many who could be.

Mcgregor after that Gogic, that’s the problem with this squad there isn’t many who could be.
    What has Gogic done to show he is captain material?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    weak as a kitten, hopeless

Gamer IDs

After about 5 injuries. Gary Kenneth material
    Behave.

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

Gamer IDs

What is it that people think Gogic would do if he was captain, that he’s choosing not to do just now?

Do you think he’s holding back cos he’s not wearing the armband?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    Not a leader. Only one leader at the club. He’s done and was on the bench today.
    2 of them and both on the bench.

I think to win a game like that you need someone to set the tone and generally go through someone early doors - I looked that team before kick off today and had no idea who it would be (none of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    2 of them and both on the bench.

I think to win a game like that you need someone to set the tone and generally go through someone early doors - I looked that team before kick off today and had no idea who it would be (none of them).
    Is this the 1980s?

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    A well crafted question, highlighting precisely that the real captain was sitting on the bench, as every single person of a Hibs persuasion knew only too well.

Is this the 1980s?
    No this the nice era where you watch your opponents win the ball twice move forward unchallenged cross the ball and give them a free header in to the net. Then you tip tap the ball around and fail to have any efforts on target after they score.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    No this the nice era where you watch your opponents win the ball twice move forward unchallenged cross the ball and give them a free header in to the net. Then you tip tap the ball around and fail to have any efforts on target after they score.
    It's actually an era where quality and brains decide matches, not fouling people early doors