hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 22/05/21)

This was a chance for Hibernian to make history. This was a chance to secure a major trophy. This was a chance for Hibernian to enter the Europa League play-offs. This was a chance for our players to go and stamp their authority on the game and prove to everyone that Hibs have better players than St. Johnstone. So many chances and not one of them taken.

I watched the game at my nephew’s house in Livingston and so I’ve had plenty of time during my drive home to get my emotions in order. Of course, there’s disappointment but most of all I feel angry and let down. Once again, we failed to get the measure of a pretty average St. Johnstone side and once again, we failed to score against them. I’m angry because St. Johnstone did what it says on the tin. There were no surprises about how they set up and how their game plan would pan out. They were exactly the same as the last time they beat us and the time before that too. The fact that we couldn’t cope with that, again, leads me to form two conclusions, the first being that Jack Ross had and has no answer to the problem and secondly, our players once again at Hampden, failed to turn up when it mattered most.

Looking to Jack Ross first. His game plan seemed no different than the game plan he’s used against St. Johnstone this season. That plan clearly hadn’t worked before and yet there was no attempt to come up with other options. Even during the game, there was little or no evidence of us changing anything to try and get a foothold.

As to the players, they must shoulder equal responsibility with the manager as their efforts today were woeful and I include all of those who took part. Our front three were anonymous, our midfield was dominated, and our defenders looked shaky throughout. Usually, you can come out of a defeat and say well so and so played well or the three at the back were solid for example but this afternoon at Hampden Park in a Scottish Cup final not one of them ‘turned up’ with only Macey’s penalty save exonerating him to a degree.

As to the game itself, Hibs started in second gear and pretty much stayed there for the entirety of the game. I had anticipated that we’d come out of the blocks and press them early doors but instead we allowed them to gain the upper hand and in truth they kept that upper hand throughout. Bryson and Kane both had early efforts blocked in the first fifteen minutes when it looked as though both teams were sizing each other up. As an attacking threat, Hibs were poorer than poor, although a fine cross from the right looked destined for the head of Doidge before Jason Kerr beat him to the ball and cleared it for a corner.

In the twenty seventh minute, Newell did well to force possession at the edge of the box and the ball reached Irvine some ten yards out, but his shot struck the legs of Clarke and was cleared. Soon after, Doidge had an effort blocked but the truth is that foray’s in to the St. Johnstone box were few and far between. In the thirty second minute the deadlock was broken and the lead up to the goal summed up, for me, difference between the two teams. The ball was out wide on their left and Boyle’s attempted tackle on Booth was weak allowing the Saints defender to pick out Wotherspoon who easily won a fifty, fifty challenge with Mc Ginn and then turned Gogic outside in before delivering a ball to the back post where Rooney easily outjumped Doig to bullet a header past Macey. Their guys stood up to the challenge, ours did not.

It was a shocker of a goal to concede. We had two clear chances to stifle the move, but Boyle and McGinn were not up to the job. Then, Gogic failed to stop the cross coming in by letting Wotherspoon do what Wotherspoon always does by cutting the ball back to his right foot whilst Gogic committed himself to blocking a left footed cross. Then, we had Doig marking Rooney at the back post whilst Hanlon and Porteous stood around the centre of the six yard box marking nobody in particular. Rooney’s threat was obvious before the game and our manager should have ensured he’d be marked by someone capable of competing with his physicality and threat in the air.

Once we were behind it was almost inevitable, we’d stay there. We’ve failed to break them down before and that was when some of our players actually turned up. I half wonder whether the endless talk of it being curtains if they scored first was lodged in the minds of the players.

Five minutes after conceding, Newell burst forward to the edge of the box, but his shot was always rising and failed to test Clarke. At times, Hibs were chasing shadows but as the half time whistle neared, Irvine actually made contact with an opponent and earned a yellow in the process. Going in a goal down at least gave the manager a chance to rally his troops but although Hibs looked a bit spritelier in the opening exchanges they soon reverted to type. In fairness, during those early moments, Nisbet flashed a shot across goal but it was at the other end that St. Johnstone had a chance to increase their lead having broken quickly from a corner, it took a last minute challenge from Newell to deny Rooney. Sixty seconds later, Wotherspoon curled an effort in with his left foot but Macey gathered easily.

From a corner, Doidge got a header on target, but it went straight to Clarke and then ten minutes into the half, Jack Ross replaced Gogic with Murphy, the new man going to the left with Irvine moved into the middle. Briefly, it looked as though Murphy might make things happen, but it soon petered out and St Johnstone came close yet again when a shot from Middleton was saved by Macey. Moments later, Wotherspoon had a go but the outcome was the same.

Hibs replaced Newell with Hallberg and just a couple of minutes later, poor defending allowed Kane to race into the Hibs box whereupon he was brought down by Paul McGinn for a clear cut penalty. Up stepped Middleton who struck his effort well enough, but Macey guessed right and got down to save but the ball rebounded out to Kane whose effort was also saved by the Hibs keeper. At that point, I thought ‘here’s the wake up call you need Hibs’, but little changed in our approach to the game.

With fifteen minutes to go, the injured Josh Doig was replaced by Lewis Stevenson and with the clock against them, Hibs pushed more men forward but in doing so left gaps at the back which St. Johnstone did their utmost to exploit but somehow, we kept them out. At the other end, Porteous made good contact with a header but it was steered straight into the hands of Zander Clarke.

The scene was set for a rip roaring, all out attack by Hibs but what we got was totally the opposite as the game fizzled out.

The players

Macey – Good double save at the penalty. My mate felt he could have come for the cross that resulted in the goal. I’m not so sure.

Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, McGinn, Boyle, Newell, Gogic, Irvine, Doidge and Nisbet all fall into the same bracket for me – woeful. It would, I think, be unfair of me to be so hard on the subs but it has to be said they made little difference to the game.

Jack Ross – I was stunned to read that he felt he could not be critical in terms of what the players put into the game. Really?? The players virtually to a man let him, themselves and us down with a pitiful display of football.

Referee – Nick Walsh was fine.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thanks for report J.
    The team got what they deserved. NOTHING.
    We will need a new team next season. Hopefully sales of players will bring in winners to the team. Have a nice holiday J.
    B

A scathing assessment from someone who is both positive and fair.

Says it all.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Well done for being so clear headed - my own written assessment at an individual player level would not be suitable for a forum of any kind.

First Team Breakthrough
    Total lack of leadership and the most telling thing was when Macey made a great double save at the penalty. It made no difference to us. Just worrying.

I always look forward to your take on the games and was honestly thinking that you would have a real problem with this terrible display. You get 10 out of 10 from me for doing this today, i would be able to do it in a couple of words but wouldn't be able to get them past the admins. Top marks to you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was a chance for Hibernian to make history. This was a chance to secure a major trophy. This was a chance for Hibernian to enter the Europa League play-offs. This was a chance for our players to go and stamp their authority on the game and prove to everyone that Hibs have better players than St. Johnstone. So many chances and not one of them taken.

I watched the game at my nephew’s house in Livingston and so I’ve had plenty of time during my drive home to get my emotions in order. Of course, there’s disappointment but most of all I feel angry and let down. Once again, we failed to get the measure of a pretty average St. Johnstone side and once again, we failed to score against them. I’m angry because St. Johnstone did what it says on the tin. There were no surprises about how they set up and how their game plan would pan out. They were exactly the same as the last time they beat us and the time before that too. The fact that we couldn’t cope with that, again, leads me to form two conclusions, the first being that Jack Ross had and has no answer to the problem and secondly, our players once again at Hampden, failed to turn up when it mattered most.

Looking to Jack Ross first. His game plan seemed no different than the game plan he’s used against St. Johnstone this season. That plan clearly hadn’t worked before and yet there was no attempt to come up with other options. Even during the game, there was little or no evidence of us changing anything to try and get a foothold.

As to the players, they must shoulder equal responsibility with the manager as their efforts today were woeful and I include all of those who took part. Our front three were anonymous, our midfield was dominated, and our defenders looked shaky throughout. Usually, you can come out of a defeat and say well so and so played well or the three at the back were solid for example but this afternoon at Hampden Park in a Scottish Cup final not one of them ‘turned up’ with only Macey’s penalty save exonerating him to a degree.

As to the game itself, Hibs started in second gear and pretty much stayed there for the entirety of the game. I had anticipated that we’d come out of the blocks and press them early doors but instead we allowed them to gain the upper hand and in truth they kept that upper hand throughout. Bryson and Kane both had early efforts blocked in the first fifteen minutes when it looked as though both teams were sizing each other up. As an attacking threat, Hibs were poorer than poor, although a fine cross from the right looked destined for the head of Doidge before Jason Kerr beat him to the ball and cleared it for a corner.

In the twenty seventh minute, Newell did well to force possession at the edge of the box and the ball reached Irvine some ten yards out, but his shot struck the legs of Clarke and was cleared. Soon after, Doidge had an effort blocked but the truth is that foray’s in to the St. Johnstone box were few and far between. In the thirty second minute the deadlock was broken and the lead up to the goal summed up, for me, difference between the two teams. The ball was out wide on their left and Boyle’s attempted tackle on Booth was weak allowing the Saints defender to pick out Wotherspoon who easily won a fifty, fifty challenge with Mc Ginn and then turned Gogic outside in before delivering a ball to the back post where Rooney easily outjumped Doig to bullet a header past Macey. Their guys stood up to the challenge, ours did not.

It was a shocker of a goal to concede. We had two clear chances to stifle the move, but Boyle and McGinn were not up to the job. Then, Gogic failed to stop the cross coming in by letting Wotherspoon do what Wotherspoon always does by cutting the ball back to his right foot whilst Gogic committed himself to blocking a left footed cross. Then, we had Doig marking Rooney at the back post whilst Hanlon and Porteous stood around the centre of the six yard box marking nobody in particular. Rooney’s threat was obvious before the game and our manager should have ensured he’d be marked by someone capable of competing with his physicality and threat in the air.

Once we were behind it was almost inevitable, we’d stay there. We’ve failed to break them down before and that was when some of our players actually turned up. I half wonder whether the endless talk of it being curtains if they scored first was lodged in the minds of the players.

Five minutes after conceding, Newell burst forward to the edge of the box, but his shot was always rising and failed to test Clarke. At times, Hibs were chasing shadows but as the half time whistle neared, Irvine actually made contact with an opponent and earned a yellow in the process. Going in a goal down at least gave the manager a chance to rally his troops but although Hibs looked a bit spritelier in the opening exchanges they soon reverted to type. In fairness, during those early moments, Nisbet flashed a shot across goal but it was at the other end that St. Johnstone had a chance to increase their lead having broken quickly from a corner, it took a last minute challenge from Newell to deny Rooney. Sixty seconds later, Wotherspoon curled an effort in with his left foot but Macey gathered easily.

From a corner, Doidge got a header on target, but it went straight to Clarke and then ten minutes into the half, Jack Ross replaced Gogic with Murphy, the new man going to the left with Irvine moved into the middle. Briefly, it looked as though Murphy might make things happen, but it soon petered out and St Johnstone came close yet again when a shot from Middleton was saved by Macey. Moments later, Wotherspoon had a go but the outcome was the same.

Hibs replaced Newell with Hallberg and just a couple of minutes later, poor defending allowed Kane to race into the Hibs box whereupon he was brought down by Paul McGinn for a clear cut penalty. Up stepped Middleton who struck his effort well enough, but Macey guessed right and got down to save but the ball rebounded out to Kane whose effort was also saved by the Hibs keeper. At that point, I thought ‘here’s the wake up call you need Hibs’, but little changed in our approach to the game.

With fifteen minutes to go, the injured Josh Doig was replaced by Lewis Stevenson and with the clock against them, Hibs pushed more men forward but in doing so left gaps at the back which St. Johnstone did their utmost to exploit but somehow, we kept them out. At the other end, Porteous made good contact with a header but it was steered straight into the hands of Zander Clarke.

The scene was set for a rip roaring, all out attack by Hibs but what we got was totally the opposite as the game fizzled out.

The players

Macey – Good double save at the penalty. My mate felt he could have come for the cross that resulted in the goal. I’m not so sure.

Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, McGinn, Boyle, Newell, Gogic, Irvine, Doidge and Nisbet all fall into the same bracket for me – woeful. It would, I think, be unfair of me to be so hard on the subs but it has to be said they made little difference to the game.

Jack Ross – I was stunned to read that he felt he could not be critical in terms of what the players put into the game. Really?? The players virtually to a man let him, themselves and us down with a pitiful display of football.

Contrast this from when Fergie slaughtered his entire Aberdeen team apart from Miller and McLeish when the Dons had actually just won the cup. Ross may present and speak well in front of the camera but I think he is lacking tactically and his motivational skills are clearly limited.

Jack Ross and his tactics, players and ability to change things were absolutely abysmal yet again at Hampden. That Hibs performance today was garbage and very similar to his Sunderland team's play-off defeat at Wembley when Charlton gave them a goal of a start and gubbed them. He's now lost two Wembley finals and 3 big games at Hampden and all with shocking performances. 5 appearances at national stadiums and 5 losses.

The players

Great report as usual. However, you seem a wee bit harsh on Macey. No chance with goal, great double save from pen and did nothing wrong. Hibs Mom

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Great report as usual. However, you seem a wee bit harsh on Macey. No chance with goal, great double save from pen and did nothing wrong. Hibs Mom
    turned up’ with only Macey’s penalty save exonerating him to a degree.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Spot on summary Johnny. Ron Gordon could do worse that copy and send that to every member of the management and team that let us down today.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

The players

I doth my cap sir, how you could be bothered is beyond me.

At the goal I agree with Boyle, McGinn, Gogic and Doig were all partly to blame. Macey for me done nothing wrong and I could be wrong but I thought there were no SJ players in the box for Porteous and Hanlon to mark.

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    Contrast this from when Fergie slaughtered his entire Aberdeen team apart from Miller and McLeish when the Dons had actually just won the cup. Ross may present and speak well in front of the camera but I think he is lacking tactically and his motivational skills are clearly limited.

Jack Ross and his tactics, players and ability to change things were absolutely abysmal yet again at Hampden. That Hibs performance today was garbage and very similar to his Sunderland team's play-off defeat at Wembley when Charlton gave them a goal of a start and gubbed them. He's now lost two Wembley finals and 3 big games at Hampden and all with shocking performances. 5 appearances at national stadiums and 5 losses.
    I agree with your comments but to be fair to Jack Ross we did beat Dundee United at Hampden so it’s 5 losses out of 6. No consolation though.

That's as good a match report as you have ever done JB it brutally, truthfully and accurately sums up what was as miserable and abject performance as a Hibs team has ever shown in a final.

Macey ..... 8 ..... Super double save at the penalty and what chance did he have to save a header from a striker who was totally unchallenged and placed his header perfectly, the only player who emerges with any credibility from that **** show.

McGinn .... 5 .... Absolutely anonymous as an attacking threat and weak at their goal.

Porteous .... 4 .... Gave me the fear and at times his touch looked like he had never played football before, only a poor ref let him get away with a stupid push right on the edge of our box which should have given St Johnstone a great free kick opportunity in the first half. The only question he answered today was a big 'affirmative' to folk who were saying Daz should have started in front of him.

Hanlon ... 5 .... At least tried to get involved further up the pitch in the last 15 minutes, but like Porteous stood ball watching as poor wee Doig was left marking a beast of a striker at the back post .... unfairly criticised a lot of the time, but as a captain David Gray he is not.

Doig .... 5 .... Nothing like the attacking threat he can be and found wanting defensively at times. But he's only a kid and he will get better, perhaps not in this team though if he does want to progress.

Gogic .... 6 .... I thought he was actually doing OK and thought Newell or Irvine should have been hooked before him, even for a tactical sub.

Newell .... 4 .... He is a neat and tidy player with good feet and if football was a solo game with no end product required he would be worth every penny of his wages. But his absolute lack of end product or ability to create for the strikers is starting to make me ask 'what the hell is the point of him? especially today where he had absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever.

Irvine .... 4 .... His lack of a second gear was evident as he lumbered up and down the pitch, though I felt a bit sorry for him in the first half, maybe Jack Ross thinks he is a left winger .. he's not. Was pretty well as ineffective when moved into the middle.

Boyle ... 3 .... A lack of service and St Johnstone doing exactly what we knew they would do by shutting off his space didn't help him, but culpable at the goal for a weak tackle, he made absolutely nothing happen and loses a point from an already ***** mark for an embarrassing attempt at cheating which has no place at this club.

Doidge .... 3 ... Utterly anonymous.

Nisbet .... 4 .... He did try to help the midfield at times, but looked totally out of it otherwise and if some folk's opinion that he was more interested in avoiding injury before the Euros has any merit the sooner we flog him off the better.

SUBS:

Hallberg ... 2 ... As JB said, justified why he didn't make the starting IX

Stevenson .... 0 ..... An insult to a great servant of this club to make him take part in that embarrassment, I won't insult him as well with a mark.

Jack Ross ..... He is our manager.

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    That was the 80s, the modern sportsman doesn't react to that anymore. You don't have to shout & scream for motivation. Times change.
    That all said, you need a plan b for which Jack Ross doesn't have.

Excellent report J, sums up the game very well.
    I just don't understand how professional players can so disastrously fail to turn up to a cup final, Surely personal and professional pride should have driven them to much greater performances.
    I'm gutted,just gutted. This so should have been our year.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Johnnyboy although your report is scathing, I'm actually heartened to read it, as it is spot on and I feel exactly the same.

I'm actually astonished to read some other posters on other threads trying to make excuses for Jack Ross and the players.

How a team of professional footballers can turn in such a meek performance in a national cup final is remarkable. They looked half arsed, unprepared, tactically naive, no fight etc, etc. Something was not right with that performance. Must have been one of the easiest cup final wins in history.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 22-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Ten out of ten got it spot on

great

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Ten out of ten got it spot on
    superb as usual johnny agree with every word
    have a wee break recharge the batteries and come back next season

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Spot on Jonnyboy

Out fought and out thought and second to every second ball

JR has used the same tactics against Saints and never laid a glove on them apart from a fortunate victory at the start of the season and this hibs side was easy meat to a well organised and capable side full of battle hardened journeymen and HIBS rejects that knew exactly what to expect from an insipid HIBS team

Every man-jack ( apart from Macey) including the failure that calls himself our Manager should hang their heads in shame

An embarrassment to Hibernian Football Club it’s wonderful fans and proud tradition

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to post your accurate and well balanced match report

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your excellent contribution throughout the season and hope you enjoy a well deserved close season

We will never get a better chance to win the Scottish Cup

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Sea View Post
    Total lack of leadership and the most telling thing was when Macey made a great double save at the penalty. It made no difference to us. Just worrying.
    I actually went mental at the double save (which was great) as it was a miracle they didn’t still score as they had about 4 players in the 6 yard box to our two. Summed the team up today.

Excellent report JB. If only the team was as incisive and compact as your report! The team might not have turned up but you did. Many thanks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Sea View Post

When Macy made a fantastic double save it was cheered like a goal in the pub and everyone thought that must give us a lift but there was nothing

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    John, thank you once again for your reports this season. I know its a labour of love but it's appreciated by many of us on here.

Today was a sore one no doubt about it and it worries me JR thought we had done enough but that's for another day.

Enjoy your summer fella I sincerely hope you'll be back to continue these next season.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    A reasoned assessment of the day. Ross has to take responsibility for this. He was unable to come up with a game plan and tactics to deal with a side who mostly offered endeavour and organisation. It was a sickening display. from Hibs, who were clueless, devoid of a spark and ultimately didn’t even match St Johnston in their hunger to win.

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy,

Disappointed

Hope to read your posts next season

I wait avidly for "This is how it Feels" after every match and always enjoy your assessment, Johnny, even if at times , like today, it hurts.

At 82 I cannot afford to wait for another 114 years until we win the cup again so the memories if '16 will have to do. That day there was a team with fire in their bellies and they did us proud on a memorable day. I missed the first half against St. Johnstone as I was visiting my wife in hospital but I knew, as soon as I got in and flashed up Hibs TV that it was not going to be our day. I honestly did not think that we would win. I blame none of the players. There is some talent in there but no cohesion whatsoever. St. Johnstone is a tough team with a physical approach which we seem unable to match although a look at the yellow cards would imply that we are the hard men.

Where from here? Macey, I think, provides a nucleus from which to build. There are several so called 'stars' in our team who were not there when the chips were down. The present team look to me as though they are gearing up to provide the Jambos with 12 points next season and that, surely, we cannot contemplate.

Off to lick my wounds until next season. Have a good summer Johnny and thanks far your efforts over the year.

Thanks JB , excellent as always.
    Every single outfield player lost their own personal battles today. I couldn’t believe what I was watching. I’m just glad I’m far too old for sustained anger at fitba players now.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Serious questions need to be asked in that squad.

Too many players believing thier ain hype.

All that hard work this season for that yesterday.

I am still appalled by that performance and not looking forward to my 8 hour shift at work today.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    I wait avidly for "This is how it Feels" after every match and always enjoy your assessment, Johnny, even if at times , like today, it hurts.

At 82 I cannot afford to wait for another 114 years until we win the cup again so the memories if '16 will have to do. That day there was a team with fire in their bellies and they did us proud on a memorable day. I missed the first half against St. Johnstone as I was visiting my wife in hospital but I knew, as soon as I got in and flashed up Hibs TV that it was not going to be our day. I honestly did not think that we would win. I blame none of the players. There is some talent in there but no cohesion whatsoever. St. Johnstone is a tough team with a physical approach which we seem unable to match although a look at the yellow cards would imply that we are the hard men.

Where from here? Macey, I think, provides a nucleus from which to build. There are several so called 'stars' in our team who were not there when the chips were down. The present team look to me as though they are gearing up to provide the Jambos with 12 points next season and that, surely, we cannot contemplate.

Off to lick my wounds until next season. Have a good summer Johnny and thanks far your efforts over the year.
    I agree with all of this. 2016 had a different feel. Right from the off you could tell we were up for it. Unlike today.JR has a big summer to change the team and more importantly the mentality and approach to big games. If he doesn't then I'm sure Ron Gordon will act.