hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Europa Draw

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you could say that if St Johnstone are now guaranteed group stage football til Xmas (and good luck to them btw) then that capitulation we had to endure on Saturday has quite literally cost the club millions in revenue.
    You could say that, but seeing as SJ are NOT guaranteed euro football till Xmas it would be a waste of breath.

2. Log in to remove the advert

So you could say that if St Johnstone are now guaranteed group stage football til Xmas (and good luck to them btw) then that capitulation we had to endure on Saturday has quite literally cost the club millions in revenue.
    As far as I understand the very complicated process, the Scottish Cup winners needed either Chelsea or Villarreal to win the Champions League/Europa League AND qualify for the Europa League through their domestic league.

Since Chelsea qualified for the Champions League and Villarreal the Europa Conference League I believe St Johnstone miss out on a bye to the Europa League play offs.

I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    As far as I understand the very complicated process, the Scottish Cup winners needed either Chelsea or Villarreal to win the Champions League/Europa League AND qualify for the Europa League through their domestic league.

Since Chelsea qualified for the Champions League and Villarreal the Europa Conference League I believe St Johnstone miss out on a bye to the Europa League play offs.

I think!
    That's the way that I understand it. Saints need a team that has already qualified for the Europa League to win one of the two European competitions that would result on them being 'promoted' into the Champions League, with the result that teams that qualified for the Europa League moving up one spot in the rankings.

Simples!

Not that it matters now to Hibs. When do we now play our first European game?

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    That's the way that I understand it. Saints need a team that has already qualified for the Europa League to win one of the two European competitions that would result on them being 'promoted' into the Champions League, with the result that teams that qualified for the Europa League moving up one spot in the rankings.

Simples!

Not that it matters now to Hibs. When do we now play our first European game?
    22nd July.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    You could say that, but seeing as SJ are NOT guaranteed euro football till Xmas it would be a waste of breath.
    Is it really a waste of breath though, they will be if what was alluded to on the previous page is true and they are now straight into the Europa League play off, then they will be guaranteed group stage football.

Hope I’m wrong however
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

I don't think its inconceivable that villareal winning last night will bump us into Q3 rather than Q2, looking at the access list...

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I see Rio Ferdinand and Jermaine Jenas were on BT last night saying the Conference League is a joke and they don’t think it’ll last more than a season..

Wonder what the logic is behind that, if there’s any at all of course.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Is it really a waste of breath though, they will be if what was alluded to on the previous page is true and they are now straight into the Europa League play off, then they will be guaranteed group stage football.

Hope I’m wrong however
    Villarreal weren’t in the Europa League next season so their qualification for the Champions League shouldn’t create a space to be filled in that competition. They were qualified for the Europa Conference League so it is feasible their victory could have a positive impact on the round we enter but I’d need to look further into whether that was the case.

@hibs.net private member

Hope I’m wrong however
    You are incorrect, hence my comment on a waste of breath… sorry I didn’t mean it to come across as petty… just reinforcing the point that the points that needed to be hit for SJ to get a playoff spot have already been missed regardless of the EL and CL final results.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I see Rio Ferdinand and Jermaine Jenas were on BT last night saying the Conference League is a joke and they don’t think it’ll last more than a season..

The only football that matters to the TV companies are the upper Premier league teams and the Champions League.
    There was (still is) plenty of slagging of the Europa league as vastly inferior and that EPL teams want to avoid it. They mean top Premier League teams want to avoid it. That changed when the winners got CL group stage qualification.

Just snobbery and insulting to teams / countries outside the elite.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    You are incorrect, hence my comment on a waste of breath… sorry I didn’t mean it to come across as petty… just reinforcing the point that the points that needed to be hit for SJ to get a playoff spot have already been missed regardless of the EL and CL final results.
    No harm done, for once more than happy to be proved wrong 😂
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Ferdinand is a drugs cheat and Jermaine Jeans is the most boring person on tele.

Maybe we’d not need a conference league which btw will contain big clubs that unfortunately don’t have the finances to compete at the top table if clubs like the ones they represented hadn’t bled the game dry the last 20 years and insisted on a champions league containing teams that finish 3rd and 4th. Idiots.

It depends who you are.

If you’re Arsenal or Spurs who have to continue to get in champions league money to play their ludicrous wages, it’s a waste of time.

If you’re a team from a small country with a poor domestic tv deal it’s a total financial lifeline.

it a joke is we have pundits like that who seem to be unable to talk about football unless it directly relates to the English top flight.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It depends who you are.

If you’re Arsenal or Spurs who have to continue to get in champions league money to play their ludicrous wages, it’s a waste of time.

If you’re a team from a small country with a poor domestic tv deal it’s a total financial lifeline.

it a joke is we have pundits like that who seem to be unable to talk about football unless it directly relates to the English top flight.
    Absolutely

I wonder though if they have some sort of knowledge of the financial side of it etc and reckon it’s unviable for clubs or whether it is really just a load of ***** they’re talking because the world to them revolves around the EPL...

You know what, ignore me, I know the answer

Absolutely

I wonder though if they have some sort of knowledge of the financial side of it etc and reckon it’s unviable for clubs or whether it is really just a load of ***** they’re talking because the world to them revolves around the EPL...

You know what, ignore me, I know the answer
    Nah I don’t think they are speaking with any inside knowledge, I think it’s ignorance. The conference league is bound to make the teams that do well in it a few million quid. For a start, there is a broadcast deal already, BT sport have the U.K. rights (the channel on which the pundits were slagging it off Also, it’s structured like the CL with group stages to maximise amount of screen eyeball time and then knockout, and all the games will be televised. I can’t see how it WONT make money (at least at the levels that will benefit the likes of Rosenberg, or the 4th or 5th teams in Portugal or the Ukrainian runners up, and hopefully touch wood Hibs).
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 27-05-2021 at 09:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Nah I don’t think they are speaking with any inside knowledge, I think it’s ignorance. The conference league is bound to make the teams that do well in it a few million quid. For a start, there is a broadcast deal already, BT sport have the U.K. rights (the channel on which the pundits were slagging it off Also, it’s structured like the CL with group stages to maximise amount of screen eyeball time and then knockout, and all the games will be televised. I can’t see how it WONT make money (at least at the levels that will benefit the likes of Rosenberg, or the 4th or 5th teams in Portugal or the Ukrainian runners up, and hopefully touch wood Hibs).
    A Spurs fan I vaguely know had suggested that they will play their "youth team" in the conf league. Also that there is a "small amount of money" on offer.

I guess it's all relative, when our first 11 probably earn the same in total as one or two EPL stars on inflated salaries

It will still be decent cash to Hibs, Aberdeen etc

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    A Spurs fan I vaguely know had suggested that they will play their "youth team" in the conf league. Also that there is a "small amount of money" on offer.

I guess it's all relative, when our first 11 probably earn the same in total as one or two EPL stars on inflated salaries

Our first 11 combined probably earn somewhere in the region of £25,000 a week. I'm guessing that's probably about half of what a single first team player at Tottenham is on.

Ridiculous when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Our first 11 combined probably earn somewhere in the region of £25,000 a week. I'm guessing that's probably about half of what a single first team player at Tottenham is on.

Ridiculous when you think about it.
    Harry Kane's reportedly on around £200,000 per week.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

That's the problem with big clubs now, it's not about the competition or winning a trophy its all about how much money they can earn.

They need to decide what side of the fence they're on.

Only a few weeks ago they were busy painting themselves as the saviour of football with their opposition to the ESL.

Now they're against anyone but the big clubs playing in Europe.

As hypocritical as ever.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well said 👏

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    The only football that matters to the TV companies are the upper Premier league teams and the Champions League.
    There was (still is) plenty of slagging of the Europa league as vastly inferior and that EPL teams want to avoid it. They mean top Premier League teams want to avoid it. That changed when the winners got CL group stage qualification.

Just snobbery and insulting to teams / countries outside the elite.

The same snobs call the Europa League the losers league to them it's just the champions league that matters as far as a European football competition goes, they are better ignored

The English pundits like those two care only for the Champions League. They take a passing interest in the Europa if any of their clubs get to the end, but even then it’s very much treated as a lesser thing. The Conference League will be dismissed even more so, unless or until an English team looks like winning it.

The likes of Ferdinand can barely string a coherent sentence together. Having overly coordinated feet doesn’t lead to having an opinion worth a damn.

No doubt Jenas will be happy to commentate on it when Spurs play in it though.

Clubs like Everton, Leeds and Aston Villa would love to be part of the competition, their supporters have gone years without watching their team play in Europe, for many supporters a lot of their enjoyment is the match day experience, the away trips to places you’ve never visited, playing in some of the best and worst stadiums in Europe, that’s what makes playing in Europe so special and you can actually win a trophy at the end of it.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I hadn’t realised how few teams go directly into the europa league now. The qualification process is so much shorter than the other two tournaments, with only a handful of teams going in at each stage. Half of the teams in the tournament will have dropped down from the champions league.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    That's the problem with big clubs now, it's not about the competition or winning a trophy its all about how much money they can earn.
    We were getting excited about how much money we'd get from an extended run in Europe even though we've no chance of winning it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I hadn’t realised how few teams go directly into the europa league now. The qualification process is so much shorter than the other two tournaments, with only a handful of teams going in at each stage. Half of the teams in the tournament will have dropped down from the champions league.
    Yeah, it’s way more second (or third) chance saloon for Champions League teams than a tournament for smaller clubs / leagues.

it is a ridiculous situation that teams in the Champions League qualifiers have to lose 3 times before they are out of Europe I.e club loses Champions league qualifier so drop down to the Europa league qualifiers and have another go and if they lose again, never mind have a go at the Confrence qualifiers. As in life the rich can't fail and get loads of chances.

Never mind, let's see if we can get 3 lucky draws and 6 decent performances. A long shot but let's see what we draw.

First Team Breakthrough
    Update on who we can play:

Servette (Switzerland)
    Aris Thessaloniki (Greece)
    Dynamo Brest (Belarus)

Dunajska Streda (Slovakia)
    Winners of match involving KUPS (Finland)
    Winners of match involving FH (Iceland)
    FC Ashdod (Israel)
    Winners of match involving Sutjeska (Montenegro)
    Winners of match involving FC Santa Coloma (Andorra)
    Winners of match involving Partizani (Albania)
    Valerenga (Norway)
    Hammarby IF (Sweden)
    BK Hacken (Sweden)
    IF Elfsborg (Sweden)
    Lokomotiv Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
    Arda (Bulgaria)
    Winners of match involving Laci (Albania)
    Winners of match involving Europa (Gibraltar)
    Winners of match involving Liepaja (Latvia)
    Winners of match involving Hibernians (Malta)
    Winners of match involving FCI Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)
    Sepsi OSK (Romania)
    Winners of match involving Drita (Kosovo)
    Kesla (Azerbaijan)
    Sumgayit (Azerbaijan)
    Winners of match involving La Fiorita (San Marino)
    Winners of match involving Stjarnan (Iceland)
    Tobol (Kazakhstan)
    Shakhter Karagandy (Kazakhstan)
    Winners of match involving Puskas Academia (Hungary)
    Ujpest (Hungary)
    Torpedo Zhodino (Belarus
    Rakow Czestochowa (Poland)
    Pogon Szczecin (Poland)
    Winners of match involving Slask Wroclaw (Poland)
    Winners of match involving Shkupi (North Macedonia)
    Winners of match involving Petrocub Hincesti (Moldova)
    Winners of match involving NSI Runavik (Faroe Islands)
    Winners of match involving Coleraine (Northern Ireland)
    Winners of match involving Tre Penne (San Marino)
    Winners of match involving Siroki Brijeg (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
    Winners of match involving MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
    Winners of match involving Bala Town (Wales)
    Panevezys (Lithuania)

Quote Originally Posted by St Pauli Hibee View Post
    Update on who we can play:

Servette (Switzerland)
    Aris Thessaloniki (Greece)
    Dynamo Brest (Belarus)

Dunajska Streda (Slovakia)
    Winners of match involving KUPS (Finland)
    Winners of match involving FH (Iceland)
    FC Ashdod (Israel)
    Winners of match involving Sutjeska (Montenegro)
    Winners of match involving FC Santa Coloma (Andorra)
    Winners of match involving Partizani (Albania)
    Valerenga (Norway)
    Hammarby IF (Sweden)
    BK Hacken (Sweden)
    IF Elfsborg (Sweden)
    Lokomotiv Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
    Arda (Bulgaria)
    Winners of match involving Laci (Albania)
    Winners of match involving Europa (Gibraltar)
    Winners of match involving Liepaja (Latvia)
    Winners of match involving Hibernians (Malta)
    Winners of match involving FCI Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)
    Sepsi OSK (Romania)
    Winners of match involving Drita (Kosovo)
    Kesla (Azerbaijan)
    Sumgayit (Azerbaijan)
    Winners of match involving La Fiorita (San Marino)
    Winners of match involving Stjarnan (Iceland)
    Tobol (Kazakhstan)
    Shakhter Karagandy (Kazakhstan)
    Winners of match involving Puskas Academia (Hungary)
    Ujpest (Hungary)
    Torpedo Zhodino (Belarus
    Rakow Czestochowa (Poland)
    Pogon Szczecin (Poland)
    Winners of match involving Slask Wroclaw (Poland)
    Winners of match involving Shkupi (North Macedonia)
    Winners of match involving Petrocub Hincesti (Moldova)
    Winners of match involving NSI Runavik (Faroe Islands)
    Winners of match involving Coleraine (Northern Ireland)
    Winners of match involving Tre Penne (San Marino)
    Winners of match involving Siroki Brijeg (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
    Winners of match involving MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
    Winners of match involving Bala Town (Wales)
    Panevezys (Lithuania)
    I'd take Servette. We might get to Switzerland for an away trip. Only 2 players I recognise in their squad and they couldn't be more opposite. Gael Clichy and Alex Shcalk