hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,573

    Car fault help required

    OK a 7 year old Renault diesel engine, not long been serviced and MOT'd and the engine and service (spanner) warning light has come on with a warning message to "Check anti-pollution system"

    Anybody got any advice about this sort of thing, I can phone my local garage that did the service but if it needs to go to a dealer we are talking over 30 miles away.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,244
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibeeg
    Probably best to plug in an OBD reader to see what the actual fault is then google it.

    I donít have a diesel but Iíve heard doing a lot of short slow journeys can cause problems so maybe worth trying a longer fast drive to clean it out if youíve not done any recently.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,573
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably best to plug in an OBD reader to see what the actual fault is then google it.

    I donít have a diesel but Iíve heard doing a lot of short slow journeys can cause problems so maybe worth trying a longer fast drive to clean it out if youíve not done any recently.
    This actually happened on a 56 mile round trip, and, after reading some forums I went for a run at about 3,000rpm, about 10 miles, and it seems to be OK.

    I only did about 3,000 miles in the last year.


    Thanks.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    6,337
    Could be the particulate filter. if you don't use the diesel car for long enough journeys then it can be an issue. Our site vehicles only do about 20 miles a day at less than 15mph and they are forever in the garage for this problem. We are moving to hybrids. Your local garage can probably sort you out

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,573
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be the particulate filter. if you don't use the diesel car for long enough journeys then it can be an issue. Our site vehicles only do about 20 miles a day at less than 15mph and they are forever in the garage for this problem. We are moving to hybrids. Your local garage can probably sort you out

    👍 As above, long blast at high revs appears to have solved the problem.

    Having said that I'm a driver who was taught to get into a higher gear as soon as possible.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  7. #6
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    If youíre doing low miles then absolutely use the premium diesel every other tank.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If youíre doing low miles then absolutely use the premium diesel every other tank.
    Good to know.


    Seems to be sorted for now. A longer trip to Edinburgh on Sunday and back on Tuesday will hopefully help.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If youíre doing low miles then absolutely use the premium diesel every other tank.
    A mechanic once told me that premium diesel in the winter in older cars is a must, and for newer cars like you say every second tank.

    Sounds like you should maybe look at going electric MY 👍🏻

  10. #9
    Thereís a fuel additive called Forte thatís worth putting onto the car. Usually used by garages you can buy it off eBay very good cleaner for the fuel system.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A mechanic once told me that premium diesel in the winter in older cars is a must, and for newer cars like you say every second tank.

    Sounds like you should maybe look at going electric MY 👍🏻
    That's the plan. Looking at the skoda enyaq.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  12. #11
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A mechanic once told me that premium diesel in the winter in older cars is a must, and for newer cars like you say every second tank.

    Sounds like you should maybe look at going electric MY 👍🏻
    I havenít bought a car over £650 in several years and always use the premium stuff. So much kinder on the engine.

    Doesnít matter what car you have, you want to keep the engine clean and well maintained. Youíll save long term with the good stuff through fuel economy and also repair bills.

  13. #12
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,604
    Could you use premium petrol in an old car? I always thought the octane rating mattered only for high performance car? So my 9 year old 1.2 corsa (it’s so slow!) wouldn’t notice any real difference as it couldn’t take advantage of the higher octane rating? Or is it the additives that are better for every engine regardless of age?

  14. #13
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you use premium petrol in an old car? I always thought the octane rating mattered only for high performance car? So my 9 year old 1.2 corsa (itís so slow!) wouldnít notice any real difference as it couldnít take advantage of the higher octane rating? Or is it the additives that are better for every engine regardless of age?
    I find that my engine runs much cleaner from premium fuel, Iíve just gone from a sixteen year old Saab to a nineteen year old Suzuki and use Shell Vpower. Less sooty deposits, marginally better fuel economy too. Youíre basically putting more of the stuff that the engine needs to work efficiently into it, like the difference in drinking a protein shake or a Frijj after the gym.

    Unless someone can correct me, Iíd always use the good stuff every other tank.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member TRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smedjebacken (Sweden)
    Posts
    1,531
    Same problem on 2006 Peugeot. Mine was a dodgy fuel injector.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,571
    I filled up with V Power diesel this morning, and I don't know if it was just in my head but the car felt a lot punchier leaving the garage. Also averaged 70mpg going round the Livingston ring road and along to Broxburn - only averaged around 60 along there before with a tank of Morrisons in.
    A great day out ruined by the football

  17. #16
    The diesel v power only contains enhanced cleaning agents as it burn differently to petrol which has an higher octane.

    Not sure how quickly these cleaners work. I donít use supermarket fuel in my diesel just decent stuff, I also put a forte fuel treatment in in every few thousand miles.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK a 7 year old Renault diesel engine, not long been serviced and MOT'd and the engine and service (spanner) warning light has come on with a warning message to "Check anti-pollution system"

    Anybody got any advice about this sort of thing, I can phone my local garage that did the service but if it needs to go to a dealer we are talking over 30 miles away.
    Sorry, but any French car spells danger. Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,246
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but any French car spells danger. Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Nonsense!

  20. #19
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,604
    Just as a follow-up to the above, almost emptied the tank of normal Tesco fuel and half filled the tank it with V-power over the last couple of weeks. There's no detectable difference in power with such a wee engine but it's definitely running much smoother than before. Used to be very 'jerky' at low speed and manoeuvres regardless of how smooth I would try and be with the gas and brakes, but that just doesn't happen now. Gear changes (it's an auto box) are smoother too IMO but realise this might be a bit of placebo effect. Not quite sure what to make of it, will go back to normal supermarket fuel next to see how it feels and if it's back to feeling like driving an engine consisting of a bag of spanners I'll probably stick to the good stuff.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,571
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just as a follow-up to the above, almost emptied the tank of normal Tesco fuel and half filled the tank it with V-power over the last couple of weeks. There's no detectable difference in power with such a wee engine but it's definitely running much smoother than before. Used to be very 'jerky' at low speed and manoeuvres regardless of how smooth I would try and be with the gas and brakes, but that just doesn't happen now. Gear changes (it's an auto box) are smoother too IMO but realise this might be a bit of placebo effect. Not quite sure what to make of it, will go back to normal supermarket fuel next to see how it feels and if it's back to feeling like driving an engine consisting of a bag of spanners I'll probably stick to the good stuff.
    Maybe you could get away with mixing every second tank? Save a bit of dosh, last I saw I'm sure I saw premium was getting on for 30p more per litre.
    A great day out ruined by the football

  22. #21
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you could get away with mixing every second tank? Save a bit of dosh, last I saw I'm sure I saw premium was getting on for 30p more per litre.
    I find itís usually no more than 10-12p a litre more at my local, which on a 40 litre tank is worth every penny.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)