hibs.net Messageboard

Copa Libertadores

Just heard a tale on Five Live concerning a South American Club from their South American correspondent. Didn't catch which one. Anyway this club was hit by Covid which reduced their playing squad by 20 individuals just before a crucial derby game. Included amongst the group were 4 goalkeepers. Thus they had to play a raw youngster in the match which they duly lost. So far so bad.
    But now they had a Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League) tie to fulfil. To add to the disaster level teams had been allowed to register a squad of up to 50 to allow for just this situation. However the coach had dismissed this as unnecessary and register a squad of 32. This did not include the young goalkeeper who was therefore ineligible. A request for special dispensation was rejected. Thus a squad of 12 with no recognised goalkeeper.
    Now I know this seems highly improbable but I was unable to catch the end of the broadcast so perhaps it was just a send-up. Anyone hear the same programme?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by twiceinathens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just heard a tale on Five Live concerning a South American Club from their South American correspondent. Didn't catch which one. Anyway this club was hit by Covid which reduced their playing squad by 20 individuals just before a crucial derby game. Included amongst the group were 4 goalkeepers. Thus they had to play a raw youngster in the match which they duly lost. So far so bad.
    But now they had a Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League) tie to fulfil. To add to the disaster level teams had been allowed to register a squad of up to 50 to allow for just this situation. However the coach had dismissed this as unnecessary and register a squad of 32. This did not include the young goalkeeper who was therefore ineligible. A request for special dispensation was rejected. Thus a squad of 12 with no recognised goalkeeper.
    Now I know this seems highly improbable but I was unable to catch the end of the broadcast so perhaps it was just a send-up. Anyone hear the same programme?
    Yes. They had to play a polar bear in goals. 2-1 down with 10 to go they came back at the death to win 3-2 with a headed goal in injury time by their skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Yes. They had to play a polar bear in goals. 2-1 down with 10 to go they came back at the death to win 3-2 with a headed goal in injury time by their skipper.
    Several sources reporting this as FACT. Club concerned is River Plate.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Not related to the OP but it’s good to see Argentinos Juniors doing well in this tournament.

lovely humble family club from a working class Buenos Aires suburb, fantastic academy, produced Maradona obviously, and founded by a group of anarchists.

My type of club.
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 19-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Which outfield players have played in goal for us? While still far from common, I assume it happened more once you go back to two subs and earlier. The one I remember is Darren Jackson against Celtic but there must be others.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Which outfield players have played in goal for us? While still far from common, I assume it happened more once you go back to two subs and earlier. The one I remember is Darren Jackson against Celtic but there must be others.
    Graham Mitchell. Played against Dundee United at Tannadice.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Graham Mitchell. Played against Dundee United at Tannadice.
    Arthur Duncan at Ibrox.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Arthur Duncan used to go in goals.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Peter Cormack with Willie Wilson(bandaged head I think)on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Peter Cormack with Willie Wilson(bandaged head I think)on the wing.
    I remember Cormack playing in goals, I seem to remember it happening more than once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Millen at Fir Park when Leighton got sent off. Good effort, only conceded 1 goal in about an hour.

Left by mutual consent!
    Darren Jackson at parkhead

Did Alan Rough not play upfront in a reserve game.

Finished 2-1 to River Plate

Quote Originally Posted by franck sauzee View Post
    Finished 2-1 to River Plate
    Unreal.

No subs and a midfielder in goal and they pulled it out the bag. Bravo!