hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    @hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's harsh, but at least this way offside is offside and there is no debate. That's what VAR is for; my issue is when it's used for subjective things, such as ridiculous fouls and cards.
    There is debate as it uses 50 frames per second (same as UHD) to capture picture. If a ball is played between frames and a run made similarly the margin for error can be as much 30cm given the speed the ball and attacker are moving at. That's a lot. It's not by any means definitive nor is it accurate enough to be drawing lines centimetres or millimetres apart to determine offside. Although I'm glad it stopped Chelsea from possibly winning today!

2. Log in to remove the advert

The best argument for VAR was that it would stop endless arguments about refereeing decisions. The actual result of VAR has been even more endless arguments about refereeing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    In my own head I've taken the "big six" out of the EPL in light of the ESL escapade so Leicester have just won the double.

I've also taken the two buttocks out of the SPL and we're going for the double next weekend
    Based on recent years Leicester have a better case to be a "big six" club than Arsenal or Tottenham. And fifteen years ago everyone would have laughed at the idea of Man City being "big six".
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Based on recent years Leicester have a better case to be a "big six" club than Arsenal or Tottenham. And fifteen years ago everyone would have laughed at the idea of Man City being "big six".
    Leicester are an incredibly well run club. They have lost the likes of Maguire, Mahrez, Chillwell, ****e, Drinkwater etc yet are arguably stronger now. Cautiously optimistic that Hibs have a similar effective set up in place and we can successfully replace players when they inevitably move on for big money.

What is recent years?

Leicester got the league, which was obviously the best achievement of those 3 clubs in that time. 1 FA Cup, Once in CL, with likely a second to come now.

Arsenal have won 4 FA cups recently, finished 2nd, been in a Europa league final and 2 semi finals.

Spurs have won nothing since 2008, but been in the Champions league many times, including a run to the final.

In terms of history and overall achievement, Arsenal are at worst the 4th best club in England, probably 3rd depending on how you value Chelseas 1 european cup vs Arsenals many more league titles. They are a much bigger and more successful club than Leicester, despite some very poor years now (still winning twice as many major trophies as Leicester since 2014). Arsenal no doubt need a big rebuild but there is some real top young players there, Smith Rowe, Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Tierney, Gabriel who could form the core of a good side. Partey being fit all season would massively help as well. There has been some reports they are after some good players, with money being available to go after them because a lot of deadwood such as Ozil, Sokratis, Luiz will be off the wage bill, and rumors of them moving on Xhaka, Bellerin, Lacazette, Nketiah, Guendouzi. Big IF, but if they can do that, then they will start to move forward a bit. They could easily get worse, though.

Spurs are probably still a bigger club, but with their stadium debt, declinding squad and star players being rumoured to leave, they could drop off. They don't really have than many good young players making waves, and are struggling to find a manager. I'd say Leicester will be in a better position than them for the next few years, but again, you never know. Spurs rose by having a solid squad with 1 or 2 real stars. It could happen again.

Leicesters story is great. Really no point wasting time comparing them to others. A great achievement to win the league, and an FA Cup. They aren't suddenly a superpower, though.

I just watched the game this morning at work. Thought the end when the final whistle went was immense, the passion, relief, tears, the fans back into football, everything I or maybe we have all felt the past 16 or so months, all there to see, for me, it certainly was a great moment. I hope we all can experience that next week when/if we lift the cup.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The best argument for VAR was that it would stop endless arguments about refereeing decisions. The actual result of VAR has been even more endless arguments about refereeing decisions.
    I think there are fewer arguments about the actual decisions. The arguments are whether the refs should have been allowed to make the correct decision in the first place.

It strikes me as absurd that folk would have preferred to have knowingly allowed an offside goal to have stopped Leicester winning the FA Cup for the sake of a couple of minutes checking.

VAR brings its own drama. Which is worse, being denied a goal which was shown by the technology to have been illegitimate, or losing to an illegitimate goal?

For me, there's no argument. The latter example is worse by a stretch.

I see where you are coming from. Spurs haven’t finished outside the top six of the PL for 12 years. Arsenal haven’t been great in the league for a few seasons now but are probably only a few signings away from challenging again. Leicester have done remarkable over the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I think there are fewer arguments about the actual decisions. The arguments are whether the refs should have been allowed to make the correct decision in the first place.

It strikes me as absurd that folk would have preferred to have knowingly allowed an offside goal to have stopped Leicester winning the FA Cup for the sake of a couple of minutes checking.

VAR brings its own drama. Which is worse, being denied a goal which was shown by the technology to have been illegitimate, or losing to an illegitimate goal?

I just find the debates boring. Two pieces of special actual football related genius happened in that game and it’s being subsumed by the usual debates about the rules, millimetres here or there, I just find the actual football more interesting. Match of the Day and the Sky pundits are particularly bad for it, probably because they know it will generate eyeballs and clicks. It feeds the inability of folk to accept that sometimes there are actually some things that are so close and could go either way depending on interpretation, and mistakes do actually happen.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 16-05-2021 at 04:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    22000 fans yet we can't let 600. What a joke should have played the SC final in newcastle or something.
    Just catching up on this one and you're spot on..No UEFA or SFA to get in the way!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

....on a further point, VAR if it was used properly could wipe out diving. I’ve just seen a prime example now of a player diving in the box, ref doesn’t give it, they check the var, at that point tell the ref it’s a clear dive, so book him. But it never happens.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Leicester are an incredibly well run club. They have lost the likes of Maguire, Mahrez, Chillwell, ****e, Drinkwater etc yet are arguably stronger now. Cautiously optimistic that Hibs have a similar effective set up in place and we can successfully replace players when they inevitably move on for big money.
    To be fair all that money for Maguire could only make any side stronger in two respects.

Left by mutual consent!
    Haven't seen a team that happy at the final whistle when winning a trophy for a long time, probably since us in 2016. Lets hope we see that amount of joy from the players at full time on Saturday.