hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Oasis

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Oasis

Just stuck together a playlist of old Oasis b-sides. They were unstoppable back on the day. What a band.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just stuck together a playlist of old Oasis b-sides. They were unstoppable back on the day. What a band.
    My daughter is 15 and she loves them. I think their popularity is having a resurgence with the young team just now.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I loved their music which I always associate with a certain frame of mind.

At their peak provided the soundtrack for a period in my life where I was in between wives, had a bit of disposable income and was always out and about - ie. bit of a lad.

Like the band, all good things come to an end...

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Oasis the Stone RosesHappy mondays Charlatans the hacienda etc etc what a scene. I'd say the hottest in the uk since Liverpool and London in the 60s.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Oasis were what got me into music. My first CD player for Xmas and what's the story morning glory along with it.

Slightly related to them, I watched the bio pic about Alan McGhee/creation the other night 'creation stories' it's called. Found it a decent watch. Jason Isaacs was superb 😂

What's The Story? Was the first album I ever bought. It opened up a world of music I've never really moved on from.

Looking at my top listened to songs on Spotify it's still dominated by the likes of Oasis, Stone Roses, Suede, The La's, Cast, Supergrass, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, James, Shed Seven.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What's The Story? Was the first album I ever bought. It opened up a world of music I've never really moved on from.

Looking at my top listened to songs on Spotify it's still dominated by the likes of Oasis, Stone Roses, Suede, The La's, Cast, Supergrass, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, James, Shed Seven.....
    Yip, almost identical. Shed Seven to me are the most underrated band of the 90's. I admit to discovering later on around 2001/2002 and couldn't believe I wasn't aware beforehand.
    The first album I got was called the collection and had a mix of their hits and b sides. A cover of Cliff Richards wired for sound was a favourite, and I still remember my mum coming into my room asking why I was listening to Cliffy 😂

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Same here. Have never really moved on!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    The Masterplan album is an album that most other bands could only ever dream about putting out, the fact that was an album of B sides that Noel didn't put on main albums just shows how prolific he was at the time.

They are and always will be my favourite band, was the perfect storm of my age, their don't give a **** attitude and the songs.

I don't think we will ever see a band like that again, one that actually changed the way people acted, dressed, for a brief moment in time they were a cultural phenomenon

Incidentally I recently listened to all the albums back to back for the first time in ages, Definitely Maybe, What's the Story, Heathen Chemistry and don't believe the truth still hold up pretty well

The over produced and other thunk Coke binge of Be here now is just that, but if you listen to Noel's stripped back Mustique accoustic Demos of the songs then they are pretty much perfection and so much better than the versions that made it onto the album itself

Definitely Maybe around 93-94 they were at their best. Liam's voice was superb before all the bevvy/drugs. I think around that time they almost had a punk influence which is not what you immediately think of with Oasis. Never sounded the same after Tony McCarroll departed

I feel blessed to have been the age I was when they were at their prime and some of my fondest “memories” are framed by their music and gigs.

It must have been utterly pish to have been 16-21 over the past year, whereas I was seeing Oasis in the tent at the first T in the Park, going to pubs where Definitely Maybe would be stuck in the jukebox in it’s entirety time after time, Ingliston, Loch Lomond...

Having to miss Irvine Beach because my girlfriend was going away and I chose to give her “a wee send off” rather than go to the gig, meaning my wee brother got my ticket, went with my mates, in my place, and experienced all sorts of stuff for the first time...

...which he mentioned when he met Noel Gallagher for the first time. And now they’re good mates. Although it has been mentioned in certain circles that my brother had a role in breaking up Oasis, something which he denies...

And I find hilarious.
    Last edited by Smartie; 15-05-2021 at 09:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Yip, almost identical. Shed Seven to me are the most underrated band of the 90's. I admit to discovering later on around 2001/2002 and couldn't believe I wasn't aware beforehand.
    The first album I got was called the collection and had a mix of their hits and b sides. A cover of Cliff Richards wired for sound was a favourite, and I still remember my mum coming into my room asking why I was listening to Cliffy
    Great shout on Shed Seven!

Chasing rainbows randomly popped out the iPhone in the car recently...thankfully no one else was in the car to have their ears blasted when I jacked it to the max and belted it out (out of tune) as I cruised along the motorway. Fair took me back so it did

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Loved them back in the day but played Heathen Chemistry once and gave up on them......2002 I think. Then about 7 years ago I listened to it and the last 2 albums and there are some really great tracks in there, particularly the ones Noel sang on. An Oasis compilation for the car is me in my element.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Chasing rainbows randomly popped out the iPhone in the car recently...thankfully no one else was in the car to have their ears blasted when I jacked it to the max and belted it out (out of tune) as I cruised along the motorway. Fair took me back so it did
    I more or less discovered Shed 7 when they were interviewed by Zig & Zag on the Big Breakfast - I was hooked thereafter.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Done that many a time! The Sheds were criminally underrated, saw them twice and couldn't believe how good they were.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Imagine the cash they could make from one more tour.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Imagine the cash they could make from one more tour.
    It's bound to happen.

Oasis are a funny one with me. I think about them quite a lot and how I used to completely love them, and guess I still do to a certain degree. It’s strange I went from thinking Noel was the good guy with all the talent, and Liam (albeit a good frontman) was a bit of a dick.

Now I like Liam more (think a combination of the documentaries and behaviour in recent years have caused this) and have come to the altered opinion that Noel knew how to write a banging ‘tune’ but wasn’t ever actually the great songwriter I thought he was.

Like the majority of bands, for me they weren’t great after their third album (I like be here now).. not including the masterplan which was superb too. And having seen them live a couple of times, I’m not convinced I would bother going to see them if a reunion was to happen.

All that and you don't even need to move your ring finger/pinkie from the 3rd fret.

I'm a massive Oasis fan and collector.

It's been a great few years to be an Oasis fan IMO. Supersonic was really well made and helped bring a new audience to their music. Liam is back to sounding incredible live and singing some old fan favourites that we probably never thought we'd see again. Twitter allows him to bypass the media presentation of who he is and connect directly with fans.

Noel has finally done something a bit different, producing his best solo album to date, even if it's not as revolutionary as he'd have you believe. And we've had this series of amazing 25 year anniversaries (the first 2 albums, Maine Road, Loch Lomond to come etc), topped off by the upcoming Knebworth film later this year.

I can't see them reuniting and I'm not sure I'd want to - certainly don't think we'll hear Liam sing another new Noel penned tune. Would personally just be happy if they could make up and put the bad blood aside. Life is too short.