hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

Nisbet v Morelos

Before I start, I'm not suggesting Nisbet is equally as good as Morelos however hear me out.

Morelos has scored 17 goals in 43 games. His stats are;

SPFL - 28:12
    Europa League - 13:5 (including qualifying)
    Scottish Cup - 2:0
    Overall 43:17

Nisbet has scored 18 goals in 43 games. His stats are;

SPFL - 33:14
    League Cup - 6:2
    Scottish Cup - 4:2
    Overall 43:18

Allowing for the fact that Morelos scored goals in Europe against better opposition, how does Nisbet compare? Morelos plays in a team that creates many more clear chances to score than Hibs but he has failed to score more goals than Nisbet and trails him in the league campaign scoring charts.

I guess my overarching question is how much is Nisbet worth? Morelos had an 18m price tag last season, although I think that will have decreased since then, and the chat was that we rejected 2m for Nisbet. What are we holding out for and what is a fair price in your eyes?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before I start, I'm not suggesting Nisbet is equally as good as Morelos however hear me out.

Morelos has scored 17 goals in 43 games. His stats are;

SPFL - 28:12
    Europa League - 13:5 (including qualifying)
    Scottish Cup - 2:0
    Overall 43:17

Nisbet has scored 18 goals in 43 games. His stats are;

SPFL - 33:14
    League Cup - 6:2
    Scottish Cup - 4:2
    Overall 43:18

Allowing for the fact that Morelos scored goals in Europe against better opposition, how does Nisbet compare? Morelos plays in a team that creates many more clear chances to score than Hibs but he has failed to score more goals than Nisbet and trails him in the league campaign scoring charts.

I guess my overarching question is how much is Nisbet worth? Morelos had an 18m price tag last season, although I think that will have decreased since then, and the chat was that we rejected 2m for Nisbet. What are we holding out for and what is a fair price in your eyes?
    I don’t believe Morelos ever actually had an 18m tag and I’m sure the huns would bite anyone’s hand off for anything close to that. He will go for more than Nisbet though, and I don’t think 2m was/is too ridiculous for Nisbet, it’s more that if he can contribute to 3rd place and the Scottish cup first then it’ll be even better.

In short, hopefully we hold on to him for another season. But realistically offers above 2.5 million would have to be entertained I think.

Blog Entries
    If it came to smiling, Nisbet would win hands down.

First Team Regular
    I like Morelos for his pantomime villain qualities, but I don’t really think he’s that great a player. I doubt he’d get into most EPL teams.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I don’t believe Morelos ever actually had an 18m tag and I’m sure the huns would bite anyone’s hand off for anything close to that. He will go for more than Nisbet though, and I don’t think 2m was/is too ridiculous for Nisbet, it’s more that if he can contribute to 3rd place and the Scottish cup first then it’ll be even better.

In short, hopefully we hold on to him for another season. But realistically offers above 2.5 million would have to be entertained I think.
    Was there not a bid from Lyon/Lille/one of the decent French clubs?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I like Morelos for his pantomime villain qualities, but I don’t really think he’s that great a player. I doubt he’d get into most EPL teams.
    I actually don’t mind him for the same reason.

He’s a good player who rarely has a quiet game. Bottom half EPL would be his level imo. When you see some of the strikers in the bottom half of that league I’d take Morelos every time.

Doidge is better than Morelos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I actually don’t mind him for the same reason.

He’s a good player who rarely has a quiet game. Bottom half EPL would be his level imo. When you see some of the strikers in the bottom half of that league I’d take Morelos every time.
    I don’t think he would set the EPL on fire. He just happens to click with Rangers ......... a marriage made in hell.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Was there not a bid from Lyon/Lille/one of the decent French clubs?
    Lille

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...-to-join-lille

I think because Dembele went for nearly £20m to Lyon then the West of Scotland FC media automatically stokes (pun intended) it up that Morelos is worth the same. The reality is they were probably offered a vastly lower sum.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

I doubt offers above 2.5m would be entertained considering we turned down more in January.

He’s probably worth more to us now than he was then

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Even with a real drop off in his previous ratios this season, Morelos has scored a respectable amount - his overall stats are excellent:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/p...layer_id=90837

I thankfully don't see enough of Rangers to know, but I wonder if his style of play has changed a bit, with some of his goals sacrificed for a more all round contribution. He certainly has a huge transfer value, he's still only 24 and only 18 months older than Edouard, with very similar ratios - if he's being valued at around £20M, I don't see why Morelos wouldn't be.

Before this season I would say that Edouard had a better attitude than Morelos, but I think OE has looked completely disinterested this year any time I've seen him. Morelos is a wee fanny for sure, but he works hard and plays like he cares.

Purely on football ability Morelos is better , if he screwed the nut and put in the effort he could play at a high level but he's a bampot , has a serious attitude problem and I'd rather have Nisbet in the team .

It seems that if you play for one of the old firm your value is higher than players for other clubs even when stats are better for the players from other teams.
    Take Josh Doig for example I think he is the equal of Robertson Tierney and Hutton at the same age. If he carries on his development at Hibs we should be expecting transfer fee to match at least Hutton.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Purely on football ability Morelos is better , if he screwed the nut and put in the effort he could play at a high level but he's a bampot , has a serious attitude problem and I'd rather have Nisbet in the team .
    His discipline is unbelievably bad - he's been sent off seven times for Rangers (should have been nine, going by retrospective bans as well). He was sent off five times in one season, which is astonishing. There are defenders who go their whole careers without being sent off five times - for a striker, in one season, it's mind boggling.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As goalscorers, they're on a par but Morelos is a far better player.

If comparing then you also need to compare salaries and length of contract remaining. Morelos could easily be on at least 6x Nisbet's salary.

Like all Sevco players, Morelos is nowehre near as good as the club, fans and media would like everyone to believe. Remember the massive fake bid from a Chinese club? His dsicipline is terrible and I've never seen him look fit. I think Kevin will do better than him in the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Like all Sevco players, Morelos is nowehre near as good as the club, fans and media would like everyone to believe. Remember the massive fake bid from a Chinese club? His dsicipline is terrible and I've never seen him look fit. I think Kevin will do better than him in the Euros.
    I'd bet money that Morelos doesn't score a single goal in the Euros......

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I doubt offers above 2.5m would be entertained considering we turned down more in January.

He’s probably worth more to us now than he was then
    I agree he is worth more to us now. But how much did we turn down in January?

I put that figure based on the OP’s figure of 2 million and what I think the club would feel obliged to accept, especially given Kevin apparently wanted to move. Of course I’d love to see us hold on for closer to 4.. I’m just stating what I think the club will realistically accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    I think Kevin will do better than him in the Euros.
    I cannae see Morelos doing anything at all the Euros tbh ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I'd bet money that Morelos doesn't score a single goal in the Euros......
    I was going to post something similar 😂

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Don't think Nisbet would make it into the Columbia squad...

Not sure what HibernianVerse has been smoking.

Morelos has a very good record in Europe, He is clear of Nisbet, but also his silly antics will limit him.

Morelos is a good player but I think many would be put off him because of his other antics. Got a short temper and easily wound up so always a liability to leave you a man down.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyJammies View Post
    Doidge is better than Morelos.
    Doidge is better than Pele

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Doidge is better than Pele
    So am I at this point in time

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Morelos has effectively been for sale for a year and there’s no indication that any club values him remotely near £15m.

All the noise has come from Sevco who get very upset if anyone points out the lack of actual, concrete bids.

I think he will go this summer, for ‘an undisclosed fee’.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Morelos has effectively been for sale for a year and there’s no indication that any club values him remotely near £15m.

All the noise has come from Sevco who get very upset if anyone points out the lack of actual, concrete bids.

I think he will go this summer, for ‘an undisclosed fee’.
    He's been on sale a lot longer than that......

I think Morelos is hideously over-rated and I've seen him have many more games when he's been an absolute liability than when he's played well.

If he played in a credible league where more of his crimes were actually punished, he'd have cost his team many more points as a result.

FWIW I wouldn't swap Nisbet for him in a million years. Morelos will thrive as a protected species at Ibrox but would be a disaster anywhere else.

Occasionally he'll provide a decent finish, but you can get that without all the baggage that comes with him.

Sometimes his finishing is frankly laughable and the pantomime surrounding imaginary clubs wanting to spend fortunes on him is just drivel you have to tolerate when you follow a league with a club like Sevco in it.

I can't stand Morelos. He's pish, and I'm surprised even the huns tolerate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think Morelos is hideously over-rated and I've seen him have many more games when he's been an absolute liability than when he's played well.

If he played in a credible league where more of his crimes were actually punished, he'd have cost his team many more points as a result.

FWIW I wouldn't swap Nisbet for him in a million years. Morelos will thrive as a protected species at Ibrox but would be a disaster anywhere else.

Occasionally he'll provide a decent finish, but you can get that without all the baggage that comes with him.

Sometimes his finishing is frankly laughable and the pantomime surrounding imaginary clubs wanting to spend fortunes on him is just drivel you have to tolerate when you follow a league with a club like Sevco in it.

I can't stand Morelos. He's pish, and I'm surprised even the huns tolerate him.
    He’s definitely not pish. Scores a helluva goals for them. Overrated probably, but not pish. And surely you’re not surprised that the huns tolerate another ******** in the team!