hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

2016 cup final team vs 2021 cup final team

Who wins and why?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    2016 for me. A superior midfield, peak SDG, McGregor and Stevenson.

Not masses in it but I reckon they have a John McGinns massive arse shaped edge.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Flip it on its head a bit.

2016 Huns v 2021 St Johnstone?

J

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2016 for me. A superior midfield, peak SDG, McGregor and Stevenson.

Not masses in it but I reckon they have a John McGinns massive arse shaped edge.
    I agree with that – also assuming we're talking about the 21st of May utterly unplayable version of Stokes, rather than an averaged out version representative of him that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    2016 Huns. Whilst not a great team they’d have got top 3 in the top tier that season imo

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Or - team that finished 3rd in the Championship v team that finished 3rd in the Premiership

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    2016 hands down. Only players likely to start who would be superior to their 2016 counterparts would be Boyle, Doig and Nisbet.

One was a championship team.

@hibs.net private member
    John mcginn...

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    One was a championship team.
    Did Championship teams not beat Premiership teams? I could have sworn they did..

A team that finished 3rd in the Championship v team that finished 3rd in the Premiership. I'd go for the 2021 team.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Did Championship teams not beat Premiership teams? I could have sworn they did..
    it can happen.

championship teams can also lose to Highland league teams. Or so I’ve heard.

Goalkeers: Logan v Macey:

Logan was a hero for that semi final but beyond that he was bang average. There's a reason Lennon had his heart set on a new keeper. Let's call this one a draw as neither played a lot of games for us. 2016 0 v 0 2021

Centre backs: McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon v Fontaine, McGregor and Hanlon:

Tough one. My gut instinct is to say that 2016 was better but when you look at our defensive record this season in the top flight I'm not sure that stands up to scrutiny. For that reason I'm giving it to 2021. 2016 0 v 1 2021.

Wing backs: Gray and Stevenson v Boyle and Doig

Another tough one but again the attacking intent and defensive record of the current crop is better so I'm giving it to them. 2016 0 v 2 2021.

Midfield 3: McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch v Newell, Gogic and Irvine.

The clearest cut of the 3 for me. I like our current midfield but 2016 was a special trio and 2 of the 3 proved it in the top flight, and beyond for one of them, as well. 2016 1 v 2 2021.

Strikers: Cummings and Stokes v Doidge and Nisbet. A clear cut win for the 2021 vintage for me. Stokes was imperious in the final but beyond that he was pretty inconsistent. Certainly not the Stokes of his first spell. Nisbet is a better player at this level than Cummings. 2016 1 v 3 2021

Subs bench: I think we had a bit more strength in depth in 2016. Henderson, Gunnarson, Keatings, Boyle were all solid options of the bench. I think Murphy is arguably the only game changer on our current bench.

Final score and in no way fixed at all. 2016 2 v 3 2021. Be a good game to watch.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Logan (banter)
    SDG(16) McG(16) Hanlon(either) Stevenson(sentiment)
    McGinn Gogic Newall
    Boyle(21) Doidge Stokes

Not that a combined team was even the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Logan was a hero for that semi final but beyond that he was bang average. There's a reason Lennon had his heart set on a new keeper. Let's call this one a draw as neither played a lot of games for us. 2016 0 v 0 2021

Tough one. My gut instinct is to say that 2016 was better but when you look at our defensive record this season in the top flight I'm not sure that stands up to scrutiny. For that reason I'm giving it to 2021. 2016 0 v 1 2021.

Another tough one but again the attacking intent and defensive record of the current crop is better so I'm giving it to them. 2016 0 v 2 2021.

The clearest cut of the 3 for me. I like our current midfield but 2016 was a special trio and 2 of the 3 proved it in the top flight, and beyond for one of them, as well. 2016 1 v 2 2021.

Strikers: Cummings and Stokes v Doidge and Nisbet. A clear cut win for the 2021 vintage for me. Stokes was imperious in the final but beyond that he was pretty inconsistent. Certainly not the Stokes of his first spell. Nisbet is a better player at this level than Cummings. 2016 1 v 3 2021

Subs bench: I think we had a bit more strength in depth in 2016. Henderson, Gunnarson, Keatings, Boyle were all solid options of the bench. I think Murphy is arguably the only game changer on our current bench.

Final score and in no way fixed at all. 2016 2 v 3 2021. Be a good game to watch.
    Brilliant summary and 100% agree. A combined side would take some beating though.

Based on how Stokes played that day (best individual performance I've ever seen from a Hibs player) and the fact it included John McGinn, it has to be 2016.

John McGinn alone would probably be enough for me to give it to that team - what a player.

2016 were a better team hands down.
    However that doesn't mean they would beat this team in a final.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be more nervous facing either side than facing St j, although still nervous facing them

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    2016 hands down. Only players likely to start who would be superior to their 2016 counterparts would be Boyle, Doig and Nisbet.
    Macey would be in the sticks. Porteous over Fontaine and Newell over Fyvie.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    2016 team for me, you could make a case for players from both but for me 2016 had that ability to come back when they were behind, something the current side struggles to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    St Johnstone. The 2016 Sevco were exactly what St J are best at playing against. Lots of possession, not much cutting edge and hopeless at defending set pieces!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    If stokes played like that we’d have gave any team a game , if he wasn’t up for it I’ll go for 2021 team

It’s a great question and you do wonder how that 2016 team manages to be behind Falkirk in the league and lose to them in a play-off?

I think 2021 as a whole are slightly better man for man but the John McGinn factor is hard to get away from and our midfield then was really good in games like that.

There’s not a lot in it.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Excellent comparison. Agree with all of that and yeah it would be a cracking game. 👍

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    2016 was the best team ever (not just best Hibs team, the actual best team ever) inho.

2021 team will go level if we win next weekend.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Going against the grain here it seems but I think the 2021 team are far better than the 2016 team. They finished behind Falkirk in the Championship.

A 2021 team against Lennon's 4th place Premiership team would be a better match up, they would also beat the 2016 team imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    It’s a great question and you do wonder how that 2016 team manages to be behind Falkirk in the league and lose to them in a play-off?

I think 2021 as a whole are slightly better man for man but the John McGinn factor is hard to get away from and our midfield then was really good in games like that.

There’s not a lot in it.
    Injuries is how. Key players missed huge chunks and we went on a bad run when 3/4 got injured.

2016 wins for the midfield. Fyvie, mcgeouch and Mcginn were different class.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Injuries is how. Key players missed huge chunks and we went on a bad run when 3/4 got injured.

2016 wins for the midfield. Fyvie, mcgeouch and Mcginn were different class.

We didn't have the squad to cope with the league plus playoffs plus 2 long cup runs. But they came good when it mattered most.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

We didn't have the squad to cope with the league plus playoffs plus 2 long cup runs. But they came good when it mattered most.
    I think we were neck and neck with Rangers in the league until just after Christmas. Then the games and injuries piled up and we collapsed in the league.

It's a bizarre thing to say considering we finished 3rd in the Championship but both ourselves and Rangers would have been top 6 Premiership teams that season, comfortably.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Stokes on his 21/05/16 form would beat the entire 2021 team on his own.

Other than that, I like PB's analysis giving a slight edge to 2021.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.