hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Porteous or Daz

Daz for me because of his experience and his physicality St J won't be able to rough him up easily and he'd relish the physical battle that comes with playing against St J. Would obviously be abit harsh on Porteous but they seem to have his number.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    McGregor for me. He’s been outstanding in the games he’s played. If Saints had a Ryan Kent who ran at him and twisted and turned him I might be concerned but they don’t so is Darren for me.

First Team Breakthrough
    Think the team for the Cup Final will be Macey, Doig, Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn, Newell, Irvine, Gogic, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet. If Porteous gets the nod, hope he has a stormer all the same.

Daz for me. Just great at clearing with either head or feet. Lovely guy off the pitch, monster on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Tough call for JR.

Maybe he'll have an eye on next season as well. Depends how Porto would react to being dropped. He could be 'the boss doesn't trust me in a big game, then why am I here'. That would be a problem.

I feel relaxed with McGregor in the side, so purely based on that it’s Daz for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tough call for JR.

Maybe he'll have an eye on next season as well. Depends how Porto would react to being dropped. He could be 'the boss doesn't trust me in a big game, then why am I here'. That would be a problem.
    There shouldn't be any eyes on next season IMO. This is one of the biggest games in the club's history and definitely the biggest in the last 5 years.

What matters is a week on Saturday more than anything else.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    There shouldn't be any eyes on next season IMO. This is one of the biggest games in the club's history and definitely the biggest in the last 5 years.

What matters is a week on Saturday more than anything else.
    Yup. Whilst Porteous can count himself unlucky if he misses out there can be no thought given to his feelings when making the decision.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    McGregor for me. He’s been outstanding in the games he’s played. If Saints had a Ryan Kent who ran at him and twisted and turned him I might be concerned but they don’t so is Darren for me.
    St Johnston will be throwing in crosses and hoofing long balls into the box, Darren is the man for the job.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    McGregor by some distance. The guy is absolutely immense and has been every time he’s been called upon this season.
    I agree and also think Hanlon is a better player alongside McGregor.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    If Saints go with Kane and Melhamed up front then Daz is the right choice. He’ll deal with high balls up to them well and not be bullied. Kane and Melhamed don’t have much in the way of pace to bother him.

If Saints go with Middleton and/or O’Halloran I’d be more concerned with starting Daz over Porteous. He was dreadfully exposed against the pace of Roberts and Cole in our home defeat to Motherwell resulting in his substitution just after half time.

3rd in the league for the first time in 15 seasons with porteous a main stay at the heart of the defence so porteous for me but if mcgregor gets the nod I would be comfortable with that also.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    If Saints go with Kane and Melhamed up front then Daz is the right choice. He’ll deal with high balls up to them well and not be bullied. Kane and Melhamed don’t have much in the way of pace to bother him.

If Saints go with Middleton and/or O’Halloran I’d be more concerned with starting Daz over Porteous. He was dreadfully exposed against the pace of Roberts and Cole in our home defeat to Motherwell resulting in his substitution just after half time.
    Kane does have pace. It's one of his best attributes.

As pointed out I feel Hanlon is more comfortable with Daz. I get the feeling he's always covering for Porteous and maybe doesn't feel that cover is returned.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    We are incredibly fortunate to have such great options for the position, whilst we dont have the luxury of knowing who St Johnstone will play up front I'd pick McGregor for this one if its a straight choice between the two.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Daz’s performance last night will have certainly given Jack Ross a big decision to make. I think it’s the only position that is potentially up for grabs as I’ve no doubt he’ll go with Irvine/Gogic/Newell in midfield. I think Jack see’s Ryan and Hanlon as his preferred centre half pairing but it may come down who’s best for the team we’re playing against and the style of football they’ve likely to play. I would want Ryan in there if a team is running at us but Daz if we’ll be bombarded with high balls. Glad I don’t have to make the decision, I’ll put my faith in the gut that’s led us to our best league finish in a long time👍

Darren mcgregor he's a class defender.

@hibs.net private member
    Hard on Porteous but got to be Daz. More consistent and with St Johnstone’s hopeful lack of chances we can’t afford any mistakes.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Another vote for Daz. Harsh on Porteous but in a one off big game I think McGregor's experience could be crucial...

Left by mutual consent!
    For me, Daz.

Ultra consistent.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Daz.

Big Daz on account of his physicality and Porteous’ slight dip in form.

I think big Daz will see this as his last shot at a final. Remember his big roar when he lifted the cup in 2016? Spine tingling stuff. He’ll bring 100% to the game. I’d love it if a lifelong Hibby like him scored the winner.

It’s not just about sentiment though, I just worry that Porteous is more liable to be rash.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Tough call for JR.

No room for this kind of thinking imo.

We’ve got a cup final to play and given Porto’s performance against St J last time it has to be Daz.

Next season is next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

Think this is a very good point - Middleton has gotten lucky imo with a few goals recently so he'll be thinking he's billy big baws and wanting to get one over us, I mean the guy was shooshing an empty FF stand after scoring an open goal tap in FFS...

To me he's one to watch if they start him and I'm not sure how McGregor would cope with him running at him - that being said he's unlikely to play down the middle so might not be a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    McGregor by some distance. The guy is absolutely immense and has been every time he’s been called upon this season.
    I will be amazed if Porteous is not playing in the final. We have had our best defensive record for many a year with Hanlon and Porteous as centre back pairing for the vast majority of our games. Porteous has made errors yes but he is a huge influence on our team. Darren is a Hibs legend but I doubt he expects to play in the final. I also don’t think we defended that well last night as Aberdeen missed a few easy chances especially the one in the first half which would have changed the game somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    I will be amazed if Porteous is not playing in the final. We have had our best defensive record for many a year with Hanlon and Porteous as centre back pairing for the vast majority of our games. Porteous has made errors yes but he is a huge influence on our team. Darren is a Hibs legend but I doubt he expects to play in the final. I also don’t think we defended that well last night as Aberdeen missed a few easy chances especially the one in the first half which would have changed the game somewhat.
    Have to agree. I don’t think Porteous was having his best game before coming off in the semi-final but I’m almost certain he will start the final, and I think rightly so. Hope he has a stormer.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    St Johnston will be throwing in crosses and hoofing long balls into the box, Darren is the man for the job.
    Could well be right. But also think we are likely to have the vast majority of the ball, and Ryan is the best of all our centre halves at stepping out and playing with the ball at his feet (albeit that can be to his detriment as well!) and he’s something we will lose without him in.

Daz interestingly coming out and saying he thinks Porteous deserves to start

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/darren-mcgregor-explains-why-fellow-hibs-fan-ryan-porteous-deserves-cup-final-place-ahead-of-him-3236234

An extremely tough call. Personally, I'd marginally plump for Daz as he has the experience and calm head and seems to have lost none of his defensive abilities as seen last night. Porto has that wee bit immaturity yet to be a bit rash at times when cooler head would refrain. Its wafer thin marginal though and I'll trust in Jack to get it right.

Coaching Staff
    Has to be Daz for this one.