hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nlandsafchibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been a Sunderland supporter for 50 plus years and he was our best Manager in last 20 years .He was sacked by a bafoon of chairman ,if you saw Sunderland till I die you will know what I mean. He came to a club in quick decline and took them to 2 Wembley finals which even the most demanding supporter could never have ever dreamed of .
    He started on first day of pre season with 7 players and built a very decent team at that level.I do not understand that belief of some, that he was a failure in big games .Both finals, had as many know fine margins .It wasnt JR that had his penalty saved by a good Scottish keeper of Portsmouth ( who I believe is out of contract this summer ) or a defensive deflection in last minute to allow Charlton to score or Nisbet to miss penalty against Hearts .
    My wife and I were absolutely gutted, when in a promotion play off position he was sacked .So we have followed him to Hibs and are fully wrapped up in your club and have seen games 3-0 v Aberdeen cup v Dundee Utd away and Ross County 3-0 at home before covid.
    He is an excellent manager as you are seeing, and by his admission the form bump was the longest in his career and he solved it .Potter also deserves a lot of credit. Onward and upward I am sure, as you also have a chairman who is here for long term and gets Hibs

Yay! Welcome to the Hibs family!

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Must admit I could've seen him far enough after the earlier semi-final defeats. Glad he doesn't listen to me very often if at all.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    And you seem somewhat desperate to continue the idea that Jack Ross is under pressure from a group of fans that no longer really exist.

The ‘one defeat away’ crowd are doing a much better job of keeping the idea of there being folk that want him out alive than people actually wanting him out.
    I agree with this, there seems to be an appetite of one up manship regarding Jack Ross and the posters who perceive that there is a Jack Ross out campaign, which in turn, keeps it going round in circles and leads to certain posters taking offense when Jack Ross is questioned by other posters.

For example, how many Jack Ross threads (which weren't necessarily Jack Ross out threads) have been shut down.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    I agree with this, there seems to be an appetite of one up manship regarding Jack Ross and the posters who perceive that there is a Jack Ross out campaign, which in turn, keeps it going round in circles and leads to certain posters taking offense when Jack Ross is questioned by other posters.

For example, how many Jack Ross threads (which weren't necessarily Jack Ross out threads) have been shut down.
    While I tend to agree that both sides should just leave it at this point (and you always have the option of just not engaging if it's true that the other side of the debate keep bringing it up), the most recently closed Jack Ross thread descended into arguments because someone posted that JR should be sacked if he doesn't win the cup final.

Hecky had his supporters, Lennon split opinion, Stubbs wasn't for everyone. No manager will ever have the universal support of everyone for whatever reason. Lets just enjoy where we are right now.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

The Ross out thread was last posted on when we beat Aberdeen on 6 February. I’d also point out that the posts on 6 February were unsurprisingly not calling for him to be sacked. Since then there’s been very little suggestion that he should be sacked.

Apparently though according to numerous posters he’s ‘one game away’ from posters demanding his removal. Despite numerous defeats in the period between 6/2 and now proving that’s not the case.

For folk that seem to claim they support Ross as much as they do they’re incredibly keen to keep up this idea that fans want him sacked and apparently even hate him when there’s nothing to suggest that’s the case.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-05-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    While I tend to agree that both sides should just leave it at this point (and you always have the option of just not engaging if it's true that the other side of the debate keep bringing it up), the most recently closed Jack Ross thread descended into arguments because someone posted that JR should be sacked if he doesn't win the cup final.
    I think we should be careful not to accept an opinion that one person posts as a widely held belief. I think an opinion that JR be sacked in the event of losing a cup final, or at least this first cup final, would be quite unpopular.
    Last edited by Wilson; 13-05-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Ross out thread was last posted on when we beat Aberdeen on 6 February. Since then there’s been very little suggestion that he should be sacked.

Apparently though according to numerous posters he’s ‘one game away’ from posters demanding his removal. Despite numerous defeats in the period between 6/2 and now proving it’s not the case.

For folk that seem to claim they support Ross as much as they do they’re incredibly keen to keep up this idea that fans want him sacked and apparently even hate him when there’s nothing to suggest that’s the case.
    So there was a whole thread shut down quickly after we beat Aberdeen. Why was it shut down if there is such a perception that he is always one game away from such calls? Doesn't make sense to close that thread or other posters to continually bring it back up then?

I do think there's an element of a comparison to Alex Miller from some that leads to a divide of opinion but it's pretty far from calling for his head.

Most question marks about Jack Ross have been about big games which as you say, have been answered since the end of January.

It has almost made Jack Ross untouchable in some people's eyes purely down to the debate at the beginning of the year and threads always being closed.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 13-05-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I think we should be careful not to accept an opinion that one person posts as a widely held belief. I think an opinion that JR be sacked in the event of losing a cup final would be quite unpopular.
    I think the general message of your post is something people should consider when reading anything on social media.

Those with the strongest and often the most extreme opinions tend to shout the loudest. The true silent majority, as opposed to the loud minority who claim to be the silenced, tend to lie somewhere in the middle.

Opinion on Ross has swung wildly over the course of the season, that's the reactionary nature of football fans. However he's largely enjoyed the support of what appears to be a huge majority of the fanbase for months now and rightly so. Every manager is going to be criticised and if we lose on the 22nd Ross is no exception. The idea there is a dormant campaign waiting to rise up any day seems ever more ridiculous every time it is mentioned now though. I daresay there will be a few people who will talk loudly and a lot about Ross should we lose the final but that shouldn't be mistaken for a concerted campaign involving a lot of people.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Unless I am missing something, that is a strange comment.
    Unlikely we'll finish 2nd, so 3rd would be good imo.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

So there was a whole thread shut down quickly after we beat Aberdeen. Why was it shut down if there is such a perception that he is always one game away from such calls? Doesn't make sense to close that thread or other posters to continually bring it back up then?

I do think there's an element of a comparison to Alex Miller from some that leads to a divide of opinion but it's pretty far from calling for his head.

Most question marks about Jack Ross have been about big games which as you say, have been answered since the end of January.

It has almost made Jack Ross untouchable in some people's eyes purely down to the debate at the beginning of the year and threads always being closed.
    The thread you reference was closed for a specific reason that I am not going to comment on further publicly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I think we should be careful not to accept an opinion that one person posts as a widely held belief. I think an opinion that JR be sacked in the event of losing a cup final, or at least this first cup final, would be quite unpopular.
    Agreed, I was solely responding to the suggestion that JR threads were being closed for some other mysterious reason.

Coaching Staff

You seem to get to a point where you are supporting Jack Ross and then the more you talk it is evident you don’t really.

No big deal but one or two of you were absolutely adamant that he was not the right person long term.

I don’t think it would take too many bad results to bring it back out, we were already starting to see references during and after the St Johnstone game recently.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You seem to get to a point where you are supporting Jack Ross and then the more you talk it is evident you don’t really.

No big deal but one or two of you were absolutely adamant that he was not the right person long term.

I don’t think it would take too many bad results to bring it back out, we were already starting to see references during and after the St Johnstone game recently.
    I would take Jack Ross being here for the next 5 years as it gives him proper time to build and completely do things his way. That's what we need as a club the most right now, stability.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    And you seem somewhat desperate to continue the idea that Jack Ross is under pressure from a group of fans that no longer really exist.

The ‘one defeat away’ crowd are doing a much better job of keeping the idea of there being folk that want him out alive than people actually wanting him out.
    If we lose the cup final there will 100% be several posters on here saying he should go.

After the recent St Johnstone defeat there were folk saying he should be sacked if we lose the final, and others implying that we should be looking to appoint a better manager asap, i.e. sack him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    If we lose the cup final there will 100% be several posters on here saying he should go.

After the recent St Johnstone defeat there were folk saying he should be sacked if we lose the final, and others implying that we should be looking to appoint a better manager asap, i.e. sack him.
    Hopefully we’ll have no way of finding out if your prediction is right or not.

It's mildly amusing that a well done Jack Ross thread has only descended into a thread debating 'Ross out' because people who are not Ross out turned it into such.

Self fulfilling prophecy really.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I'm delighted for Jack and the players, a fabulous achievement to finish third and be in the final.

Now is not the time for squabbling and bickering, lets just enjoy the last 2 games of the season and what will be will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Opinion on Ross has swung wildly over the course of the season, that's the reactionary nature of football fans. However he's largely enjoyed the support of what appears to be a huge majority of the fanbase for months now and rightly so. Every manager is going to be criticised and if we lose on the 22nd Ross is no exception. The idea there is a dormant campaign waiting to rise up any day seems ever more ridiculous every time it is mentioned now though. I daresay there will be a few people who will talk loudly and a lot about Ross should we lose the final but that shouldn't be mistaken for a concerted campaign involving a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I'm delighted for Jack and the players, a fabulous achievement to finish third and be in the final.

Now is not the time for squabbling and bickering, lets just enjoy the last 2 games of the season and what will be will be.

Agree. Great result last night and a great league campaign this season

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's mildly amusing that a well done Jack Ross thread has only descended into a thread debating 'Ross out' because people who are not Ross out turned it into such.

Self fulfilling prophecy really.
    A person.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    We keep getting told that we’re only one defeat away by the same posters who are desperate to pretend there’s a Jack Ross lynch mob.

We lost to St Johnstone in an awful performance and there was no JR out campaign despite the claims we were one defeat away from it before hand.

There’s been next to no JR out posts for months now. It’s time to let the idea that we’re ‘one defeat away’ from it go.
    I agree.

Feels like there’s a few posters on here just dying to have a go at those who aren’t as positive about things. They seem gutted that no-one is moaning just now so are pre-empting it with these sorts of predictions.

Folk moaned when things were crap. Just like fans of every club do. As you say though, since the start of the year we’ve been excellent and nobody’s been calling for his head.

You’d have thought they would be happy that everyone is happy!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I agree.

Feels like there’s a few posters on here just dying to have a go at those who aren’t as positive about things. They seem gutted that no-one is moaning just now so are pre-empting it with these sorts of predictions.

Folk moaned when things were crap. Just like fans of every club do. As you say though, since the start of the year we’ve been excellent and nobody’s been calling for his head.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There's an incredible amount of airbrushing on this thread and I find it hilarious that those who have been defensive of Ross since the outset are being painted as the baddies.

I'm sorry if some people don't like this post.

Tough!

Well done Jack . 1 more game to turn a great season into a ****ing legendary 1 . Lets get it done

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I agree.

I think this is partly generated through the MSM (mainstream social media)

Plenty of times on FB or Twitter this season there have been folk calling for the manager’s head.

That ill feeling can’t help but be reflected on here at times, though it does just reinforce the idea that Hibs.net remains the best forum for fans to discuss our club.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Well done Jack . 1 more game to turn a great season into a ****ing legendary 1 . Lets get it done

We have a great chance of winning the cup and I can't wait for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I hope everybody realises that we're only one defeat away from some people turning on Ross.

Despite what he's achieved so far, if we lose the Cup Final then that's exactly what will happen.

Football fans can be very fickle (myself included)
    Agree with this.

Ross is someone I've admired since his time with Alloa and wanted him in as soon as he was sacked by Sunderland and things were going pear shaped under Heckingbottom.

I have no doubt that if Heckingbottom had stayed much longer we would have been relegated last season and instead we only missed out on a top 6 place 4 months later due to Covid-19 ending the season early.

This season to then finish 3rd is very impressive, considering we were quite a bit behind Aberdeen at one point. It's where we really should be looking to finish every season though, despite not doing it very often.

However I do also agree with your point that a defeat to St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup final will have some people sharpening their knives again. Getting this coveted Europa League play off spot is huge for the club and we really couldn't have hoped for a much better final to try and achieve that.

Yes, well done Jack Ross.

I suppose, as football fans, we all have varying degrees of "what's acceptable" and "what's achievable".

I think there are many fans that their opinions are shaped by a few bad results / bad performances and find it very difficult to move on from that. Whereas others, and I think this is me, are happy to see how things play out before I say "get rid, he's got to go".

I'm impressed with Jack Ross as an individual and as a football manager. However, in life, we are always presented with new challenges - his now is to work out how to beat St Johnstone. How Jack Ross is remembered by the fans will be determined by whether his hands are on the cup after the game on the 22nd May.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Agree with this.

Ross is someone I've admired since his time with Alloa and wanted him in as soon as he was sacked by Sunderland and things were going pear shaped under Heckingbottom.

I have no doubt that if Heckingbottom had stayed much longer we would have been relegated last season and instead we only missed out on a top 6 place 4 months later due to Covid-19 ending the season early.

This season to then finish 3rd is very impressive, considering we were quite a bit behind Aberdeen at one point. It's where we really should be looking to finish every season though, despite not doing it very often.

However I do also agree with your point that a defeat to St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup final will have some people sharpening their knives again. Getting this coveted Europa League play off spot is huge for the club and we really couldn't have hoped for a much better final to try and achieve that.
    The players were too shackled by Heckingbottom but at least he left a decent base/squad for Jack Ross coming in - tweaking & additions were needed as opposed to an entire rebuild.