hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Brilliant season and as others have said it has the potential to become special. Great base to build from now, we’ve got a really good chance to become regulars at this end of the league. We have thrown in some absolute stinkers this season, it’s Hibs we always seem to do it, but by in large we’ve been consistent throughout.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can't argue with third plus cup final. Aside from the times we won the league, win the cup and we're looking at pretty much Hibs most successful season ever, in only his first full season. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not often have we finished 3rd in my lifetime. Away win record and just missing our record points total. Also in the Scottish Cup final.

Just think the state we were in when he took over. Incredible.
    Absolutely and yet it's been a major effort trying to convince a lot of Hibs followers that he was worthy.
    Always knew he had the minerals for the job. Fantastic effort from all the staff and players.
    Now let's win the cup. It's been five long years!! 😉

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I’ve been consistent in my view that we won a watch when we hired Jack Ross. He’s an exceptionally talented manager and to be going into the final game of the season 6 points clear of fourth place, with a cup final to look forward to, is outstanding.

We have had some bumps in the road, a handful of performances that were as bad as anything we saw under Butcher, imho, but they were just that -bumps on an otherwise hugely consistent season.

People will point to the fact that Aberdeen had a run of (insert increasing number here) of games without scoring and question that it took until now to really be sure of third, but that overlooks the fact that we had some catching up to do on them, so to overturn the deficit and then create a big enough gap to allow for a couple of slip ups ourselves, while competing in the cups, is fantastic.

On almost any measure you want to use, Hibs are the third best team in the country.

The often criticised defender is meaner than anyone outside the old firm (i think), the mis-firing, wasteful attack are the third top scorers in the league. As a support we’ve been hyper critical of a really good team and it’s only now when we’re sitting on the cusp of our best season in most of our lifetimes that people are accepting that we’re a good team.

Huge credit to Jack and the team, but also to Graeme Mathie, Ron Gordon, and all the people behind the scenes who have worked tirelessly this season to deliver this third place finish.

Now bring the cup home, Jack, and make history.
    I agree with your sentiments entirely, but I don't think anything we produced was as bad as we saw under Butcher.

I remember playing Aberdeen at ER as early as 7 April and our players just didn't want the ball in case they made a mistake they were do afraid.

We lost that game 2-0 and although we were still mis-table(ish) it prompted me to put £20 on Hibs finishing in the bottom 2. (I can't remember the exact terms of the bet, but it won @ 8/1).

We've not played well in a few games, but we've never reached those depths.

It's been a fabulous season. Such a shame we couldn't be there to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 13-05-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    Nah it would just be class if got 3rd next season aswell.
    What about getting 3rd the season after that and the season after that etc etc... That would be even classier eh?

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    And to think someone actually started a poll to get him out , mind you they did the same to Stubbsy the legend, I'll never understand some fans.
    Hopefully the man is with us a long long time.
    Couldn't agree more.

The classic two faced fitba fans comes to mind RE: Jack Ross this season.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Matty has already aluded to this with his comment about the gap we had to make up between us and Aberdeen to overtake them in the first place, but I'd add that we have grown into a very consistent team now.

Pre-Jan, I didn't know which Hibs was going to turn up. Would we take a 3-0 pumping or win playing swashbuckling football?

Since the turn of the year, we have looked like a match for anyone and I cannot wait for the final now.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree with your sentiments entirely, but I don't think anything we produced was as bad as we saw under Butcher.

I remember playing Aberdeen at ER as early as 7 April and our players just didn't want the ball in case they made a mistake they were do afraid.

We lost that game 2-0 and although we were still mis-table(ish) it promoted me to put £20 on Hibs finishing in the bottom 2. (I can't remember the exact terms of the bet, but it won @ 8/1).

We've not played well in a few games, but we've never reached those depths.

It's been a fabulous season. Such a shame we couldn't be there to enjoy it.
    The back to back home defeat to Livi and Ross County (IIRC) where i don’t think we managed a shot on target across two games were as bad.

We didn’t have many of those performances though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Well done to Paul Heckingbottom for laying the foundations for this success 😉

Jokes, well done to Jack Ross, I’ve been known to talk pish about him this season, he’s certainly shown me up for the idiot I am though. Great job done, hope we can hold on to him now as inevitable teams will be noticing his success with us.
    I think he’s shown a few of us up, when we’ve made daft comments in the heat of the moment.

Even the very best of seasons will have dips in form and poor results along the way, and I’d say he’s a win over St Johnstone away from delivering arguably our best season ever.

Not having crowds in the grounds has, I am convinced, made it harder for him to have the fans onside at all times. Some of the away performances and results in particular would have been very satisfying to be at but maybe felt a bit uninspiring watching at home.

I’m delighted for him though, and I like him. I respond to measured and thoughtful much more than windmilling arms and foul mouthed rants and when we’re playing pish I’d rather have a manager figuring out how to fix it with his brain rather than any number of empty gestures that would be less likely to work.

We’ve also got a squad of players that I like, many of whom he has brought in. Drey Wright gets a bit of stick on here but tbh I quite like him, and if he’s amongst our bigger problems then we must be doing an awful lot very well.

We have been mightily impressive at the business end of the season. Look well organised, fit, confident and hungry. The players look like they're busting a gut. How often have we seen decent looking seasons peter out after Christmas? Credit to Jack Ross and his coaching team. Even if we lose the cup final which may very well happen, he's done well. It's a great platform to build on.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I was having a think last night (yeah it hurt my little brain!). If we win the cup, will it be the first time a manager, any manager has been this successful and not picked up a Manager if the Month award or get mentioned in Manager of the Year awards? Essentially JR could be a cup winning, guided his team to third manager, which lets face it is what everyone outside the Glasgow uglies thinks is an amazing season, go through the whole season under the radar? Can anyone think of another manager who that has happened to?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Ever since Ross arrived at the club, we've improved, improved that much we are 3rd in the league.

We are never going to win every game, but surely tae f if we win more than the rest of the league bar the obvious two, we are doing something right?

He's building a better team, a better squad, if last night showed us anything it's a manager needs time, we need to be patient, as a winning team takes work and stability and a good manager, we have one.

The back to back home defeat to Livi and Ross County (IIRC) where i don’t think we managed a shot on target across two games were as bad.

We had a couple of very good performances early December (Motherwell and Hamilton away) but form slipped away and we were dreadful for a month or so.

Once more though, Ross addressed the problems. McGregor came into the team and did well and he brought in Irvine and Cadden who made a major impact straight away.

I’ve not been convinced by him all along (it would be totally hypocritical for me to say otherwise)and might have been a bit tainted by his Sunderland experience. He really splits their fan base into those who acknowledge how much better he did than everyone else in recent years and those who realise that whilst he came close to success he still fell short. I’ve always just had that nagging doubt that we’d fall short - but a big result last night to confirm 3rd, some big results in big games in the cups have gone a long way to dispel that.

Fine margins again though. He’s a game away from being a legend.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We had a couple of very good performances early December (Motherwell and Hamilton away) but form slipped away and we were dreadful for a month or so.

Once more though, Ross addressed the problems. McGregor came into the team and did well and he brought in Irvine and Cadden who made a major impact straight away.

I’ve not been convinced by him all along (it would be totally hypocritical for me to say otherwise)and might have been a bit tainted by his Sunderland experience. He really splits their fan base into those who acknowledge how much better he did than everyone else in recent years and those who realise that whilst he came close to success he still fell short. I’ve always just had that nagging doubt that we’d fall short - but a big result last night to confirm 3rd, some big results in big games in the cups have gone a long way to dispel that.

That's a good summary and a sentiment I agree with.

He is not the most exciting manager but he is one game away from being a legend. Let's hope we do it.

Credit where credit is due, Well done Jack.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

People can criticise others/deny it all they want for saying it but before the turn of the year we had a real difficulty winning the big games. Our record in them was really poor.

Since the turn of the year though our record in them is very good. We’ve improved significantly since January imo. We went from looking like we were regularly winning games that could have went either way (something which I didn’t think we’d be able to keep doing) to deservedly winning most of the games we do win.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-05-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Well done indeed. Still have a Cup Final to look forward to as well.

All in a season where we couldn't get in to watch a single game.... Typical Hibs!!

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

The classic two faced fitba fans comes to mind RE: Jack Ross this season.
    Aye. Football fans unhappy at poor results and happy with good ones. Who'd have thunk it?

Classic.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Aye. Football fans unhappy at poor results and happy with good ones. Who'd have thunk it?

Classic.
    There's a difference between unhappy (which is normal) and massive over reaction, verging on hatred in some instances.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Ever since Ross arrived at the club, we've improved, improved that much we are 3rd in the league.

We are never going to win every game, but surely tae f if we win more than the rest of the league bar the obvious two, we are doing something right?

He's building a better team, a better squad, if last night showed us anything it's a manager needs time, we need to be patient, as a winning team takes work and stability and a good manager, we have one.
    The improvements can't be denied especially given he hasn't really been here that long. Signings have in the main been very good, he has improved a number of players plus developed a really good young talent. Absolutely need to be patient as he has shown he is a more than capable manager.

Yeah they were very poor however think the players were physically exhausted in these games just a few days after playing excellently at Ibrox including being Collumed in that game.

We were a missed penalty in horrible conditions away from last seasons SCF and just didn't make our early dominance count in the LCS. I didn't blame Ross for either of them as hard as it was to take at the time.

Sounds silly saying this when we've just finished 3rd and are in the cup final but i think we will go from strength to strength with Ross and Ron here. There will be bumps along they way, derby defeats etc of course there will but that's football. Being regularly in Europe and constantly in the latter stages of cup competitions is where we go from here.

I hope everybody realises that we're only one defeat away from some people turning on Ross.

Despite what he's achieved so far, if we lose the Cup Final then that's exactly what will happen.

Football fans can be very fickle (myself included)

I have been a Sunderland supporter for 50 plus years and he was our best Manager in last 20 years .He was sacked by a bafoon of chairman ,if you saw Sunderland till I die you will know what I mean. He came to a club in quick decline and took them to 2 Wembley finals which even the most demanding supporter could never have ever dreamed of .
    He started on first day of pre season with 7 players and built a very decent team at that level.I do not understand that belief of some, that he was a failure in big games .Both finals, had as many know fine margins .It wasnt JR that had his penalty saved by a good Scottish keeper of Portsmouth ( who I believe is out of contract this summer ) or a defensive deflection in last minute to allow Charlton to score or Nisbet to miss penalty against Hearts .
    My wife and I were absolutely gutted, when in a promotion play off position he was sacked .So we have followed him to Hibs and are fully wrapped up in your club and have seen games 3-0 v Aberdeen cup v Dundee Utd away and Ross County 3-0 at home before covid.
    He is an excellent manager as you are seeing, and by his admission the form bump was the longest in his career and he solved it .Potter also deserves a lot of credit. Onward and upward I am sure, as you also have a chairman who is here for long term and gets Hibs
    Last edited by nlandsafchibee; 13-05-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I hope everybody realises that we're only one defeat away from some people turning on Ross.

Despite what he's achieved so far, if we lose the Cup Final then that's exactly what will happen.

Football fans can be very fickle (myself included)
    We keep getting told that we’re only one defeat away by the same posters who are desperate to pretend there’s a Jack Ross lynch mob.

We lost to St Johnstone in an awful performance and there was no JR out campaign despite the claims we were one defeat away from it before hand.

There’s been next to no JR out posts for months now. It’s time to let the idea that we’re ‘one defeat away’ from it go.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-05-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nlandsafchibee View Post
    I have been a Sunderland supporter for 50 plus years and he was our best Manager in last 20 years .He was sacked by a bafoon of chairman ,if you saw Sunderland till I die you will know what I mean. He came to a club in quick decline and took them to 2 Wembley finals which even the most demanding supporter could have ever dreamed of .
    He started on first day of pre season with 7 players and built a very decent team at that level.I do not understand that belief of some, that he was a failure in big games .Both finals, had as many know fine margins .It wasnt JR that had his penalty saved by a good Scottish keeper of Portsmouth ( who I believe is out of contract this summer ) or a defensive deflection in last minute to allow Charlton to score or Nisbet to miss penalty against Hearts .
    My wife and I were absolutely gutted when in a promotion play off position he was sacked .So we have followed him to Hibs and are fully wrapped up in your club and have seen games 3-0 v Aberdeen cup v Dundee Utd away and Ross County 3-0 at home before covid.
    He is an excellent manager as you are seeing and by his admission the form bump was the longest in his career and he solved it .Potter also deserves a lot of credit. Onward and upward I am sure as you also have a chairman who is here for long term and gets Hibs
    Thanks for that background yes success and failure can be a very fine line at times and imo in many cases absolutely nothing to do with the coach. Only way of getting over big game defeats is to keep banging on the door as Hibs only know too well it will eventually open.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    We keep getting told that we’re only one defeat away by the same posters who are desperate to pretend there’s a Jack Ross lynch mob.

We lost to St Johnstone in an awful performance and there was no JR out campaign despite the claims we were one defeat away from it.

There’s been next to no JR out posts for months now.

I never mentioned anything about a lynch mob. I just pointed out how fickle the average football fan can be, especially after losing a cup final.

You seem to be somewhat overly-sensitive on this subject.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yeah they were very poor however think the players were physically exhausted in these games just a few days after playing excellently at Ibrox including being Collumed in that game.
    I agree, I don’t hold the games against Ross, we were terrible but they were games that were exceptions, they aren’t reflective of the team’s performances for the majority of the season.

The manager was getting hounded at that point, it was absurd.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I never mentioned anything about a lynch mob. I just pointed out how fickle the average football fan can be, especially after losing a cup final.

There's only been one lynch mob this season, and he was head honcho of it.

And you seem somewhat desperate to continue the idea that Jack Ross is under pressure from a group of fans that no longer really exist.

The ‘one defeat away’ crowd are doing a much better job of keeping the idea of there being folk that want him out alive than people actually wanting him out.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-05-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by nlandsafchibee View Post
    I have been a Sunderland supporter for 50 plus years and he was our best Manager in last 20 years .He was sacked by a bafoon of chairman ,if you saw Sunderland till I die you will know what I mean. He came to a club in quick decline and took them to 2 Wembley finals which even the most demanding supporter could never have ever dreamed of .
    My wife and I were absolutely gutted, when in a promotion play off position he was sacked .So we have followed him to Hibs and are fully wrapped up in your club and have seen games 3-0 v Aberdeen cup v Dundee Utd away and Ross County 3-0 at home before covid.
    He is an excellent manager as you are seeing, and by his admission the form bump was the longest in his career and he solved it .Potter also deserves a lot of credit. Onward and upward I am sure, as you also have a chairman who is here for long term and gets Hibs
    Nice post, enjoyed reading that.