hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is partly generated through the MSM (mainstream social media)

Plenty of times on FB or Twitter this season there have been folk calling for the manager’s head.

That ill feeling can’t help but be reflected on here at times, though it does just reinforce the idea that Hibs.net remains the best forum for fans to discuss our club.
    That's a good point - there's a lot of rage across Facebook and Twitter after defeats, and if folk are anything like me, they'll take in all of that stuff at the same time as reading the views on here, and I suspect that amplifies the noise a fair bit.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The players were too shackled by Heckingbottom but at least he left a decent base/squad for Jack Ross coming in - tweaking & additions were needed as opposed to an entire rebuild.

Agreed. Hecky was a decent bloke and he (initially at least) got some pretty decent performances from the available squad.

We've now progressed quite a bit from there and hopefully continue on that trajectory.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nlandsafchibee View Post
    I have been a Sunderland supporter for 50 plus years and he was our best Manager in last 20 years .He was sacked by a bafoon of chairman ,if you saw Sunderland till I die you will know what I mean. He came to a club in quick decline and took them to 2 Wembley finals which even the most demanding supporter could never have ever dreamed of .
    He started on first day of pre season with 7 players and built a very decent team at that level.I do not understand that belief of some, that he was a failure in big games .Both finals, had as many know fine margins .It wasnt JR that had his penalty saved by a good Scottish keeper of Portsmouth ( who I believe is out of contract this summer ) or a defensive deflection in last minute to allow Charlton to score or Nisbet to miss penalty against Hearts .
    My wife and I were absolutely gutted, when in a promotion play off position he was sacked .So we have followed him to Hibs and are fully wrapped up in your club and have seen games 3-0 v Aberdeen cup v Dundee Utd away and Ross County 3-0 at home before covid.
    He is an excellent manager as you are seeing, and by his admission the form bump was the longest in his career and he solved it .Potter also deserves a lot of credit. Onward and upward I am sure, as you also have a chairman who is here for long term and gets Hibs
    Welcome to the crazy world of Hibernian FC.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

perhaps we all know it's ok ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Unless I am missing something, that is a strange comment.

Guffaaawwww

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The players were too shackled by Heckingbottom but at least he left a decent base/squad for Jack Ross coming in - tweaking & additions were needed as opposed to an entire rebuild.
    There's not too many players still playing regularly from Heckingbottom's time.

Hibs squad v Celtic in Heckingbottom's final game;

Maxwell - Gone
    Jackson - Gone
    Stevenson - Still here but hardly plays
    Hanlon - Still a regular
    James - Out on loan, unlikely to play again
    Hallberg - Still here but doesn't start too regularly
    Vela - Gone
    Allan - Out on loan, unclear about what will happen
    Horgan - Gone
    Mallan - Out on loan, unlikely to play again
    Doidge - Still a regular

Subs

Kamberi - Gone
    Slivka - Gone
    Boyle - Still a regular
    Marciano - Still here, gone in the summer
    Whittaker - Gone
    Naismith - Gone
    Newell - Still a regular

10 out of the 18 players who were involved in that squad are either gone already or away on loan and unlikely to play again.

There's only really 4 players left who could really be classed as regular starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Maxwell - Gone
    Jackson - Gone
    Hanlon - Still a regular
    Vela - Gone
    Horgan - Gone
    Doidge - Still a regular

Subs

Kamberi - Gone
    Slivka - Gone
    Boyle - Still a regular
    Whittaker - Gone
    Naismith - Gone
    Newell - Still a regular

10 out of the 18 players who were involved in that squad are either gone already or away on loan and unlikely to play again.

There's only really 4 players left who could really be classed as regular starters.
    Must admit id forgotten all about Tom James

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Must admit id forgotten all about Tom James
    My apologies!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Jack Ross' win ratios as manager of Hibs (52%), Sunderland (51%) and St. Mirren (52%) are practically identical, after a similar number of games for each (71, 76 and 80 respectively).

A big difference of course is that Hibs are a top league side whereas St. Mirren and Sunderland (especially) where playing at a lower level than where they believe they should be.

Lack of draws has been good also - too many draws stopped us having a truly amazing season back in 2017/18, and you really are better having draws shared out equally between wins and losses.

At Sunderland JR had five more games in charge of them than he has had with us just now, but he drew 13 more games with Sunderland. He's lost twice as many games (20) here than he did there. A few more wins and a few more losses at the Mackems and we might not even have got him - thankfully we did

He's improving as a manager and we are improving as a club under him and RG. Truly exciting times.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Maxwell - Gone
    Jackson - Gone
    Hanlon - Still a regular
    Vela - Gone
    Horgan - Gone
    Doidge - Still a regular

Subs

Kamberi - Gone
    Slivka - Gone
    Boyle - Still a regular
    Whittaker - Gone
    Naismith - Gone
    Newell - Still a regular

Heckingbottom inherited quite a few on that list who are away or not playing.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I agree.

Feels like there’s a few posters on here just dying to have a go at those who aren’t as positive about things. They seem gutted that no-one is moaning just now so are pre-empting it with these sorts of predictions.

Folk moaned when things were crap. Just like fans of every club do. As you say though, since the start of the year we’ve been excellent and nobody’s been calling for his head.

You’d have thought they would be happy that everyone is happy!
    The reaction is because of the relentless negativity certain posters display, even when things are relatively good.

The nature of the posting by some is also pretty provocative and aggressive. Also, a number of folk have also been told for long periods this season that they are part of a problem.

They’d all be quick enough in laying it out if we had a bad spell so they can surely take a bit of it back just now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Jack Ross' win ratios as manager of Hibs (52%), Sunderland (51%) and St. Mirren (52%) are practically identical, after a similar number of games for each (71, 76 and 80 respectively).

A big difference of course is that Hibs are a top league side whereas St. Mirren and Sunderland (especially) where playing at a lower level than where they believe they should be.

Lack of draws has been good also - too many draws stopped us having a truly amazing season back in 2017/18, and you really are better having draws shared out equally between wins and losses.

At Sunderland JR had five more games in charge of them than he has had with us just now, but he drew 13 more games with Sunderland. He's lost twice as many games (20) here than he did there. A few more wins and a few more losses at the Mackems and we might not even have got him - thankfully we did

He's improving as a manager and we are improving as a club under him and RG. Truly exciting times.
    #

Incredible they sacked him. He had his budget absolutely slashed during his time there and his best player(s) sold from underneath him. I often wonder if managers are victims of their own success. He lost two games at Wembley with Sunderland and lost two at Hampden with Hibs. Had he not got to those showpiece games i wonder if there would have been the same OTT reaction from the fans and kneejerk reaction from the Sunderland owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I don’t know how this popped up again, but why settle for third? If we can retain and build on this squad, 2nd isn’t impossible. Remember, Celtic are a mess and will be rebuilding drastically. Too early to settle for best of the rest.
    Celtic will rebuild enough to be well ahead of us.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The reaction is because of the relentless negativity certain posters display, even when things are relatively good.

The nature of the posting by some is also pretty provocative and aggressive. Also, a number of folk have also been told for long periods this season that they are part of a problem.

They’d all be quick enough in laying it out if we had a bad spell so they can surely take a bit of it back just now?
    There is no relentless negativity. That’s really the point of the discussion.

With regards to provocative posting, again there’s been very little of the posts that people claim they’re reading actually posted for months. There’s only one type of post recently that has been provocative and it’s certainly not been non existent calls for JR to be sacked after each defeat.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-05-2021 at 02:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Ach, you're probably right. Why can't we all just get along?!

Sitting 3rd in the league and going to win the Cup - I doubt there's anything anyone could say to me on here to annoy me just now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    #

Incredible they sacked him. He had his budget absolutely slashed during his time there and his best player(s) sold from underneath him. I often wonder if managers are victims of their own success. He lost two games at Wembley with Sunderland and lost two at Hampden with Hibs. Had he not got to those showpiece games i wonder if there would have been the same OTT reaction from the fans and kneejerk reaction from the Sunderland owners.
    This'll irk some but I think both clubs have pretty tough crowds.

That requires a bit of resilience and solid leadership at the top of clubs when going through a rough patch, in order to ensure that rough patch doesn't turn into a full-blown slump.

Ross didn't start his 2nd season at Sunderland brilliantly but he was sacked by inexperienced owners at a time when there was an awful lot of football still to be played. He'd shown enough during his first season to deserve a bit of time to sort that out.

Fortunately for us, Ron seems to be a fairly level-headed type, which in my opinion augurs well for us when we hit an inevitable tougher patch at some point.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

That's also the best win percentage of any manager since the 60s, apart from Stubbs who only ever competed in the Championship.

Better than Mowbray, Collins, Lennon, McLeish etc. which is especially impressive when you consider that Lennon and McLeish both had a season in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    That's also the best win percentage of any manager since the 60s, apart from Stubbs who only ever competed in the Championship.

Better than Mowbray, Collins, Lennon, McLeish etc. which is especially impressive when you consider that Lennon and McLeish both had a season in the Championship.
    Even more impressive considering the teams Collins and Lennon inherited. Ross walked into a **** show

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    Just catching up with this thread and I'm quite surprised at the roller coaster its turned into at times, then again, this is '.net' I suppose.

Well done Jack Ross, that's all there is to say today.

I, for one, was critical of him, especially after the semi-final against St. Johnstone were we appeared to capitulate when it looked like an amazing chance at winning a trophy. It was hot on the heels of the frustrating Scottish Cup Semi against that lot as well. I didn't want him gone, but I seriously questioned his ability to win a meaningful game. A game with big pressure.

That, for me, can be put to bed now. The guy has steered us to a third place finish for the first time since Mowbray was the gaffer. That win last night was our first in Aberdeen for something like 9 years and was tailored made for us to lose, but instead, we went up north and done what they've done to us for years. It was a sweet win and lovely to seal the deal on their patch.

This, hot on the heels of a comfortable win against United at the weekend in a genuinely massive game, leaving us 90 mins from a second Scottish Cup in 5 years. Clean sheets, tactically astute decisions and a real aura of confidence on both occasions.

Fair play, Jack. Now go and win the cup and cement yourself in our history with legendary status. Hopefully he can draw on previous experience were finals haven't gone his way, and get this one over the line for us. Let's enjoy it.
    Last edited by Dobosz83; 13-05-2021 at 03:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think last night was further evidence that people complaining about the style of football may have been swayed by the lack of fans and not being there. Last night was the first time this season that we have properly played Aberdeen style football.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think last night was further evidence that people complaining about the style of football may have been swayed by the lack of fans and not being there. Last night was the first time this season that we have properly played Aberdeen style football.
    ...without the constant fouling.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this...how many 2 goal leads did the Hecky Hibs surrender??

JR has done an amazing job and let's hope he becomes a legend in 10 days time
    Pretty sure Ross has lost more 2 goal leads than Hecky did.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Pretty sure Ross has lost more 2 goal leads than Hecky did.
    How many 2 goal leads did we have under Hecky?

Be hard to find a solidly decent dresser like Ross in the ranks of the Scottish game. Results pale into insignificance alongside this factor. Keep him unless he shows any major sartorial lapses.

We should do a poll on whether we think the number of jackets Jack Ross will be wearing on cup final day will be greater than the number of Hibernian supporters present.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We should do a poll on whether we think the number of jackets Jack Ross will be wearing on cup final day will be greater than the number of Hibernian supporters present.

Hopefully the weather will have turned for the better, allowing Jack to shed a jacket or two.

Could be a close run thing though.

League position is always the true indicator of a team's ability. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that St Mirren or St Johnstone have been better teams than Sevco this season, despite putting Sevco out of the cups.

So Ross getting third in the league is confirmation that we have a very good manager and one we want to keep. Fortunately he's already had a bad experience down south, so he'll be wary about leaving us too soon and English clubs will place too much emphasis on his time at Sunderland, so we will keep him for a while.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Hopefully the weather will have turned for the better, allowing Jack to shed a jacket or two.

Could be a close run thing though.
    And dont forget the lucky green cardigan he bought before semi final and is wearing for final .